Club making statement on player performance - Good.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

kaos theory
Club Player

Club making statement on player performance - Good.

So Luke Ball is dropped, and here at saintsational we get all sorts of interpretations of this event, but rarely the simple facts.

IMO some of the silly statements made here include:

- He is been rested. 'Resting' is the new black - A fashionable interpretation for everything. Next time someone is sacked from a job, I think we should now refer to the person being 'rested' instead.

- He is injured. Yep, the poor guy has a broken leg, broken arm, no groin and a mentally debilitating disease.

- He will be psychologically disturbed by this and will question his future at the club...

Of course, the most simple and straight forward answer seems to elude many here, as they look for all sorts of conspiracies to explain this event.

How about this instead:

- He is not performing to a level required by the coach, therefore he loses his position in the team, and will need to work on those areas and improve. Being the quality young man that he is, he will focus on what he needs to, improve and be back in the seniors soon enough, better than before.

The club had said as much, but, no, we can't believe what the club says, we know they are lying. :roll:

IMO, it is a good move. Just like when Dal and milne were dropped, the results speak for themselves, both players have lifted their games and improved on their weaknesses.

claystreet
Club Player

How about his groin isnt 100% so hes not playing up to par, so hes been dropped and rested.

kaos theory
Club Player

yes, that covers everything...

But in all seriousness, we are aiming for a flag, not just making the finals. Therefore there should be no passengers, in any position, no matter the reputation.

Each player should feel that there is no easy ride playing at the saints and the standards are very high.

Saintschampions08
Club Player

Re: Club making statement on player performance - Good.

kaos theory wrote:- He is injured. Yep, the poor guy has a broken leg, broken arm, no groin and a mentally debilitating disease.
Considering his recent history with his groin, and his extremely low game times over the past two weeks...

As well as the fact that secrecy has basically surrounded his injury worries over the past years...

And it's not like every time the club has made a statement about a player it has been true....(Ball's last 7 games last year)
kaos theory wrote:The club had said as much, but, no, we can't believe what the club says, we know they are lying.
Clubs NEVER ever lie.

Hamill?

Ball last year?

Ottens this year?

Gram's mysterious dropping...

Even Max this year..

We should all have 100% faith in everything the club tells us...it's always true.

kaos theory
Club Player

Clubs NEVER ever lie.

Hamill?

Ball last year?

Ottens this year?

Even Max this year..

We should all have 100% faith in everything the club tells us...it's always true.
Firstly, I am NOT talking about the previous coach or administration.

Secondly, predicting some player recovery times isn't a simple science. Its estimating & educated guesses, which many clubs can get very wrong. But on here, the club must be lying, deliberately deceiving us.....

Sorry I don't buy that.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

kaos theory wrote:
Clubs NEVER ever lie.

Hamill?

Ball last year?

Ottens this year?

Even Max this year..

Secondly, predicting some player recovery times isn't a simple science. Its estimating & educated guesses, which many clubs can get very wrong. But on here, the club must be lying, deliberately deceiving us.....

Sorry I don't buy that.
They have and will if it suits. They have done it the last 3 years when it suits and will continue to do it if they think it helps the club.

kaos theory
Club Player

p66 -

There is no doubt that some players carry some 'niggles' into games and the club doesn't talk about it, because it doesn't want that player to be exposed to opposition tactics taking advantage of that.

The club wll always firstly consider its position before making public statements. So it should. But stating outright lies is another thing...

It seems pretty clear to me that Ball is not performing as expected, therefore he was dropped.

He may be struggling with some op, BUT, the club would be taking that into account and expecting a level of performance, which he is not providing.

Hence we get the statement on it from the club at makes a point of that.

Splayd
Club Player

I think it is a little from column A and a little from column B.

However I definitely don't think it was a coincidence that they choose this round to drop him as the Zebra's have a bye and therefore he also has a week off.

This way he avoids any intense scrutiny of his performence in the twos if he was dropped purely for form and discussion over whether he will do enough to earn a recall.

It also keeps mugs like us and opposition guessing as to whether the reason was purely form or slight injury, which would've been answered if the two's were playing.

Smoke and Mirrors. Personally I don't really like being misled by the club as well but if there is a legitimate reason for it, and that reason is the club believes it will help some way in our assault on the Flag this year then I am for it.

Gathering converts in Frogland..
BakesFan
SS Life Member

Bally will cop it sweet, recover from any niggle, get his mojo back, and return better than ever. He's a professional after all.

It augers well for a big Finals series from Luke... and that's when we'll need him most.

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.(Eleanor Roosevelt)
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Well if nothing else the dropping of Luke Ball is generating a few threads..

Maybe Ross has dropped him until he can kick the footy further than the
auskickers that play at half time......

Six debutants for the Saints so far in Season 2024. :D
Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

Splayd wrote:I think it is a little from column A and a little from column B.

However I definitely don't think it was a coincidence that they choose this round to drop him as the Zebra's have a bye and therefore he also has a week off.

This way he avoids any intense scrutiny of his performence in the twos if he was dropped purely for form and discussion over whether he will do enough to earn a recall.

It also keeps mugs like us and opposition guessing as to whether the reason was purely form or slight injury, which would've been answered if the two's were playing.

Smoke and Mirrors. Personally I don't really like being misled by the club as well but if there is a legitimate reason for it, and that reason is the club believes it will help some way in our assault on the Flag this year then I am for it.
Hammer, nail, head AFAIC.

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote:Well if nothing else the dropping of Luke Ball is generating a few threads..

Pretty sure an Auskicker couldn't have kicked that ball to Gardi for the match-winner against Geelong....

Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

Re: Club making statement on player performance - Good.

Saintschampions08 wrote:
kaos theory wrote:- He is injured. Yep, the poor guy has a broken leg, broken arm, no groin and a mentally debilitating disease.
Considering his recent history with his groin, and his extremely low game times over the past two weeks...

As well as the fact that secrecy has basically surrounded his injury worries over the past years...

And it's not like every time the club has made a statement about a player it has been true....(Ball's last 7 games last year)
kaos theory wrote:The club had said as much, but, no, we can't believe what the club says, we know they are lying.
Clubs NEVER ever lie.

Hamill?

Ball last year?

Ottens this year?

Even Max this year..

Ottens - 2 weeks :shock:

BANG BANG

Mitsuharu Misawa 1962 - 2009.

I am vengeance....I am the night...I....AM.....BATMAN

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and im all out of bubblegum
CaptainRiewoldt
Club Player

look he is being rested simple as that. Bally has been fine not great but good enough. He is being rested.

I say great we need to rest players as well otherwise what is the point in being 5000 points clear on top??

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

CaptainReiwoldt wrote:look he is being rested simple as that. Bally has been fine not great but good enough. He is being rested.
Ludicrous.

He was being rested, the club would just say that he was out for some complaint or another....

What you would not do is make public statements that he was dropped for poor performance.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
CeilidhSaint
Club Player

Don't forget it was Sacks long kick to the top of the square that gave us the chance to beat the Cats all you knockers.
Fair enough dropped but let's not get into him.

TB 1 - The Brightest Light on the Darkest Night - we miss you.
Think Globally, Act Sainterly
I have Phil Narkle's helmet
ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

I guess we will find out next week.

If he is injured wont play for sandy
If he was rested will play for the saints next week
If dropped will play for sandy next week

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

ausfatcat wrote:I guess we will find out next week.

If he is injured wont play for sandy
If dropped will play for sandy next week
I hope you realise Sandy aren't playing this week.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

Yes I do realise sandy arn't playing this week hence the word next in their.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

kaos theory wrote:
Clubs NEVER ever lie.

Hamill?

Ball last year?

Ottens this year?

Even Max this year..

Sorry I don't buy that.
Just 3 months ago Jason Gram was injured/dropped who knows? The club came out and stated that he had a quad injury so wasn't picked. THEN they said that he miraculously recovered on the morning of the game but it was too late to include him in the team, so he had to play VFL. THEN we hear from other sources that appeared reliable and made more sense that GRAM hadn't been preparing himself as professionally as the club would like for games and was dropped.

But the club would never deceive us? Of course they would. THey care about nothing but winning, so if we (the supporters) like winning we have to trust them, doesn't mean we have to believe them though.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Iceman234 wrote:
bobmurray wrote:Well if nothing else the dropping of Luke Ball is generating a few threads..

Pretty sure an Auskicker couldn't have kicked that ball to Gardi for the match-winner against Geelong....
yes but nobody is considering the fact that his kicking ability is shite..

whats the point of him getting it if his disposal by foot is wanting.....

as good as he is i dont know how he went top 3 with that kicking ability..

Six debutants for the Saints so far in Season 2024. :D
Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote:
Iceman234 wrote:

yes but nobody is considering the fact that his kicking ability is shite..

whats the point of him getting it if his disposal by foot is wanting.....

as good as he is i dont know how he went top 3 with that kicking ability..
Not entirely sure, but I think you missed the point bob. :?

Bally kicked it 50m to the hot spot for Gardi to mark the match-winner...

Quixote
SS Life Member

Phone number Iceman or it didn't happen.

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
asiu

Hammer, nail, head AFAIC.
j'm with that mob

They have and will if it suits. They have done it the last 3 years when it suits and will continue to do it if they think it helps the club.

be thankful for and expect no less, imo

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

ausfatcat wrote:

Not necessarily....may have just been dropped one week as a kick up the bum to spell out that the coach is serious.

Also to all those wanting Ball rested.

He ALREADY has been!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YES..along with everyone else he had a fornight off...and the result in the next three games is that he played his two worst games of his year...with an ok one against a weak Richmond.

So if REST only 3 weeks ago did not have a positive influence...why only 3 weeks later would it now???????????

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....