Who's going to win?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

matrixcutter wrote:hmm
tip against ya side
they win
u drop further down the tips ladder.
u cop s*** for not picking ya team and them winning

pick us 8-)
Haha, interesting perspective... and one that I got on the right side of last year.

Time to share a little story.

I won two tipping comps last year, one at the local pub for a few hundred, and a customer loyalty one at a retail store that scored me two grand's worth of merch.

Noice.

Anyway... the store manager shared this with me at the end:
You've been killin it this year!

Now...about the Saints...I don't remember saying that, BUT, a comment like that would definitely have been said in front of our very own xxxx, as he and I have an ongoing bet about Saints making the GF. Now I am actually worried about it!

Had some beers with a bunch of tippers on Olympic opening night (was doing a gig, and had a few friends drop in). A couple were in the top 10 at that stage... They were talking of you, like you were uncatchable. They had you worked out as an Essendon supporter, and were even analysing what you may tip the next round...and how they would catch you. Alas one of them fell right down, the other finished reasonably well, but down from the 4th he had at the time.

I had a ball watching it unfold this year, and look forward to seeing you. Gimme some warning so I can make sure I've got the camera loaded ;)
This was my little story back to him:
I remember that upon telling you the team I barrack for is the Saints, you replied "God help you"... perhaps both the Saints and myself had a little divine intervention...

After setting up a comfortable two-point lead in round 15 I watched it gradually whittle away until xxxyyy and a number of others were hot on my heels. What had gone wrong? I scoured the individual rounds' tips looking for a pattern.

Adelaide.

I had tipped against the Crows, and lost, two or three times straight. It was round 21, and I had a dilemma - do I tip them to win against the Saints, or hope to hell that my team comes up? It looked like a 50-50 decision from the front side. In agony, I decided to put my tipping fate in the hands of my team. If they bombed, I would share their fate.

Thankfully for me, my faith was rewarded. I resolved not to underestimate the Crows again, so with their final game against the Bulldogs - another apparently 50-50 contest - I backed them, and came through. And in a final double twist of personal irony, my boys the Saints pipped the Crows for 4th by a slim margin, while I held onto my ladder position by a comparably slim margin. Clever tipping, or the workings of some greater design... ?

As for xxxyyy - he whittled that margin down quite radically in the last 2 rounds, especially R22 with upsets on both margin games - he actually tipped Freo but backed the Dogs against Adelaide! It was his tips I was analysing when I realised I was underrating the Crows as he had backed them thru rounds 18-20! That would probably kill him if he knew.
So here we are 11 months later, facing the Crows again at Docklands. That line call I made last year won me two tipping comps. The store comp I won on margin estimates - I was neck and neck on 130 tips.

But don't listen to me... I'm doing terribly this year! :o

Banger2Plugger
Club Player

Kharma.....

Pick against the Saints and we'll be dead certs to win it :) In the words of Malcolm Blight...I don't give a rats toss bag about your footy tips !

If everyone speeds, why haven't you been overtaken?
Quixote
SS Life Member

NUP.

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
matrix
Saintsational Legend

lol
nice work
those two years we finished bottom i tipped us EVERY week in 4 tipping comps over the two years (two comps per year) and lost all comps by under ten points.

if i hadnt of picked us i wouldve only won a few 100, but i just woudnt tip against us.
id hand my tips in and the guy marking it would just look at them and shake he's head and say
"u picked them again?"

ironically i havent put any tips in for about 5 weeks, have dropped down the ladder yet the supercoach (which hasnt been touched/no trades done for 5 weeks too) is rocketing!!
im second in my league at work with trades galore up my sleeve.

anyway
back to the OP

im a yup....pick us

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

matrixcutter wrote:lol
nice work
those two years we finished bottom i tipped us EVERY week in 4 tipping comps over the two years (two comps per year) and lost all comps by under ten points.

i did the same thing until 2003, i hardened my heart, bolted in my tipping comp, and have never finished lower than 3rd since. Mind you this year it's easy to be loyal, and would you really pick 5th away against the 15-0 leader?
NUP!

you want to chase an upset? pick hawks! (i wouldn't, but i'm holding a lead, not chasing).

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
marksnsparks
Club Player

Yep. Just in case ur in my comp and ur above me :wink:

Realisically though, tipping against your team is a win/win situation. Your team wins and you're happy. Your team loses and at least you have a tiny comfort that you picked it.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Nup.

Tip the Saints.

Write the teams out and tell me Adelaide have all the answers. Take 10% off the Saints for our tough last couple weeks, then take 10% off for Adelaide's dutch courage, we'll still win by 3 goals.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

The only time you should tip or back against your own side is the GF. If we win you dont give a stuff about losing some money and if we lose you are pissed for a few days/weeks/years but at least get some money out of it.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

So it would seem that the SS punters are unclear on who is going to win.

a balance of yeps and nups but most nups have some type of qualification (excuse).

Ok I'm going with Saints. They will win by 47 points

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Ok so last week I got it wrong.

Richmond stopped me getting a perfect score and the so much needed 2 bonus points. If that had of played out to my advantage I would only be 1 point behind first spot. Now as it stands I'm still 4 points behind.

So I ask the question again. Will we beat the Dogs this week?

As per last week only yep nup responses are allowed.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:Ok so last week I got it wrong.

Richmond stopped me getting a perfect score and the so much needed 2 bonus points. If that had of played out to my advantage I would only be 1 point behind first spot. Now as it stands I'm still 4 points behind.

Yep nup.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

Yep nup.
fence sitter :lol:

OneGram
Club Player

are we going to win? does a horse eat dutch carrots.

aussierules0k
Saintsational Legend

Last edited by aussierules0k on Tue 06 Apr 2010 1:32am, edited 1 time in total.

OneGram
Club Player

aussierules0k wrote:6-7 goal win by the Saints.

I've been to the future... and it's all good. ;) :)
just remember to return AoK.
the future has it's reward and we wouldn't want now to get jealous.
Last edited by OneGram on Thu 23 Jul 2009 9:28pm, edited 1 time in total.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Yep nup.
fence sitter :lol:
You just told me they were the only responses allowed.

OneGram
Club Player

you can mix the letters up or spell them backwards for fun.

aussierules0k
Saintsational Legend

Last edited by aussierules0k on Tue 06 Apr 2010 1:32am, edited 1 time in total.

OneGram
Club Player

aussierules0k wrote:Got back just an hour ago OneGram. One hell of a ride... but we won :)
sweet, now have a coffee put your feet up, relax and log onto saintsational

OneGram
Club Player

plugger is on drugs apparently but they're not on him though so it's okay.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

OneGram wrote:plugger is on drugs apparently but they're not on him though so it's okay.
You should 10 grams at least. One gram wouldnt be enough.

OneGram
Club Player

disatisfaction is only payable to those who know the real value of a rhetorical arguement.