Sending injured players back out when unnecessary is CRAZY

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Winmar7Fan wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:
Winmar7Fan wrote:
saint66au wrote:
Winmar7Fan wrote:
plugger66 wrote:I'll will back our doctors know more than our suppoters when these players return to the ground.
How can you say that? BOTH of them have been sidelined .

So you think If the doctors knew it was bad enough to spend games out injured they still would have allowed them out when the games were over anyway?

Yeah makes perfect sense to me.
He can say it because our medical staff are experts in the field of sports injuries..and we are a bunch of nuffie footy fans who know nothing in comparison :-)

Unless you are similarly qualified and experienced in sporting injuries, commenting like you do is a bit silly dont you think?[/quote]

Not at all it's very black and white to me.

2 good important players go off Injured. They come back on when the game was over and they didn't need to. Then the next week they're out because the injuries were serious enough to be side lined.

Let's just forget these meds are such experts there not human enough to make a wrong call.

Do you not see it as common sense to have not let Gilbert or Max back out now he's out missing matches from it?

I'm sure those meds said at the time " we're 6 goals up running all over them and your going to miss a couple of weeks from this but we'll strap you up and send you back out there anyway".
I'm amazed.
We've finally got a medical/fitness regime at the Club that has allowed us to have an unbelievable run with injuries, comething we've had a debacle with over the last 5 years and you're complaining that these people apparently have no idea what they're doing?

Are you so bored with winning that you are looking to create something to bitch about?

No medico/fitness guy would deliberately send a player out if they thought that player's injury would get worse by doing that. Yes it's possible for them to mis-diagnose an injury, but given their track record of the last 3 -6 months I'm prepared to take their opinion over someone's who wasn't there, didn't actually see the player in the flesh, but who is prepared to 'second-guess' the diagnosis/opinion of those who were on the spot.

BTW, what qualifications do you have to offer an opinion on these matters other than being a fan watching it on tv, or maybe at the actual game?

I'm really hoping that you are at least a physio with some experience in these type of injuries.Even if you are, how on earth can your diagnosis/opinion be more valid than those working at the Club who were actually there to assess the injuries on the spot?
No I'm not I'm just someone with some common sense.

Yes I'm more than happy with the way we are going with Injuries generally as our performance and everything else but I can't believe how blindly bias some of you have become.

This is very simple and bare in mind I couldn't give a F### about how qualified these Meds are I'll ask you this simple question a six year old could answer.

Now Max is out for how ever long do you think it was a good move to send him back out to play with this injury that's side lined him?

Especially when we had full control of the match.

Or do you need a 10 year degree in physio to be qualified to answer that one?
Firstly I'm not arrogant enough to think that my uneducated opinion with absolutely no first hand knowledge of the actual circustances involved could ever be taken seriously enough to question the ability and expertise of professionals employed by the Club.

Secondly I don't have such an over-inflated opinion of my own self worth that I would dare label anybody as 'blindly bias' because they had the temerity to disagree with my own uneducated opinion.

Thirdly, isn't it about time you looked in the mirror and asked yourself:-
'If I'm such a genius at all of this, how come the AFL Clubs aren't knocking down my door wanting to employ me in my fields of expertise?'

I'm sure nobody cares that you post your opinion on subjects. That's what this forum is for - opinions.
But I certainly find it tiresome that you think you know so much you're prepared to 'lecture' the rest of us in an area you apparently have didly-squat knowledge on.

Another armchair genius who thinks his knowledge is supreior to those people who actually do more than just sit and criticise for criticism's sake.

For someone who professes to have 'common sense', on this topic, IMO, you show a distinct lack of it.

Here's an idea?

WHy don't you call the CLub on Monday and offer your services in this area. Afterall, according to you, the people we've got employed are lacking common sense and are obviously dangerous to the well-being of our players.
I'm sure that those in charge would welcome your offer to step in and fix this problem area.

And please make sure you inform them that you don't actually need to physically see the injury to diagnose it. You can tell by just watcing the player from a distance or on tv what the true diagnosis is and what the
risks are. No need to actually be up close and personal with the injured player! :roll:

kp83
Club Player

Winmar7Fan wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:
Winmar7Fan wrote:
saint66au wrote:
Winmar7Fan wrote:
plugger66 wrote:I'll will back our doctors know more than our suppoters when these players return to the ground.

So you think If the doctors knew it was bad enough to spend games out injured they still would have allowed them out when the games were over anyway?

He can say it because our medical staff are experts in the field of sports injuries..and we are a bunch of nuffie footy fans who know nothing in comparison :-)

Unless you are similarly qualified and experienced in sporting injuries, commenting like you do is a bit silly dont you think?[/quote]

2 good important players go off Injured. They come back on when the game was over and they didn't need to. Then the next week they're out because the injuries were serious enough to be side lined.

Let's just forget these meds are such experts there not human enough to make a wrong call.

Do you not see it as common sense to have not let Gilbert or Max back out now he's out missing matches from it?

I'm sure those meds said at the time " we're 6 goals up running all over them and your going to miss a couple of weeks from this but we'll strap you up and send you back out there anyway".
I'm amazed.
We've finally got a medical/fitness regime at the Club that has allowed us to have an unbelievable run with injuries, comething we've had a debacle with over the last 5 years and you're complaining that these people apparently have no idea what they're doing?

Are you so bored with winning that you are looking to create something to bitch about?

No msdico/fitness guy would deliberately send a player out if they thought that player's injury would get worse by doing that. Yes it's possible for them to mis-diagnose an injury, but given their track record of the last 3 -6 months I'm prepared to take their opinion over someone's who wasn't there, didn't actually see the player in the flesh, but who is prepared to 'second-guess' the diagnosis/opinion of those who were on the spot.

BTW, what qualifications do you have to offer an opinion on these matters other than being a fan watching it on tv, or maybe at the actual game?

I'm really hoping that you are at least a physio with some experience in these type of injuries.Even if you are, how on earth can your diagnosis/opinion be more valid than those working at the Club who were actually there to assess the injuries on the spot?

Yes I'm more than happy with the way we are going with Injuries generally as our performance and everything else but I can't believe how blindly bias some of you have become.

This is very simple and bare in mind I couldn't give a F### about how qualified these Meds are I'll ask you this simple question a six year old could answer.

Now Max is out for how ever long do you think it was a good move to send him back out to play with this injury that's side lined him?

Physio is only a 4 year degree...and I've got one so please take this from someone with experience and knowledge in this area.

You are looking at this in a far too simplistic way. You're saying if someone is hurt then we must not allow them to return. Ethically, we are not allowed to make a call like this. There are 2 major rules we should follow as health professionals. The first is to do no harm. The second is to allow patient autonomy (meaning we must do what the patient wants, after they are aware of all the benefits and risks).
In this way, if a player says to us, "I feel fine, I want to go back on," and we have informed them of the risks and we are happy in our assessment that they will not harm themselves further, then we must allow them back on.

You and I, as external people to our medical team CAN NOT sit at our computers or in the stands and possibly know how the assessment of Max's or Gilbo's ankle went. Perhaps the laxity in the ankle was minimal and with some strapping, there was no further risk of the ankle rolling. Perhaps the injury was simply a bit of scar tissue (from a previous injury) ripping, meaning that no actual ligamentous tissue was damaged. I don't know, I'm just hypothesising. The only people that do know the answer to what happened to these players are the people that assessed them.

I understand your "common sense" approach to asking the question, but please believe me - medical treatment of anyone, let alone an elite footballer is complex and relies on more than just common sense.

And without personally having a go at you, in general it is people who have started to question the medical profession that has led to us having to do what the patient wants, rather than making the call for ourselves. In the past, doctors would treat based on their knowledge and expertise and nothing else. Now the patient has to be consulted for fear of litigation from a know it all who has read on the internet that a different course of action would have worked. This is why we have to listen to the player now, so that they don't come at us the next week and say "You cost me my place in the side because you wouldn't let me back on," or something to that effect.
Last edited by kp83 on Sat 04 Jul 2009 12:33pm, edited 1 time in total.

yipper
SS Life Member

My goodness, I'd thought I had seen everything on here over the years. But up comes another "expert" internet poster telling us all that he has more common sense than our Professionally trained doctors and Physios and that they are to blame for losing a couple of players!! Common sense huh?? Yeah righto!! Some StKilda "supporters" really do scrape the barrel to find ways to criticise our club.

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
kp83
Club Player

yipper wrote:My goodness, I'd thought I had seen everything on here over the years. But up comes another "expert" internet poster telling us all that he has more common sense than our Professionally trained doctors and Physios and that they are to blame for losing a couple of players!! Common sense huh?? Yeah righto!! Some StKilda "supporters" really do scrape the barrel to find ways to criticise our club.
Well said.

Winmar7Fan
Club Player

kp83 wrote:
Winmar7Fan wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:
Winmar7Fan wrote:
saint66au wrote:
Winmar7Fan wrote:

I'm amazed.

No msdico/fitness guy would deliberately send a player out if they thought that player's injury would get worse by doing that. Yes it's possible for them to mis-diagnose an injury, but given their track record of the last 3 -6 months I'm prepared to take their opinion over someone's who wasn't there, didn't actually see the player in the flesh, but who is prepared to 'second-guess' the diagnosis/opinion of those who were on the spot.

Physio is only a 4 year degree...and I've got one so please take this from someone with experience and knowledge in this area.

You are looking at this in a far too simplistic way. You're saying if someone is hurt then we must not allow them to return. Ethically, we are not allowed to make a call like this. There are 2 major rules we should follow as health professionals. The first is to do no harm. The second is to allow patient autonomy (meaning we must do what the patient wants, after they are aware of all the benefits and risks).
In this way, if a player says to us, "I feel fine, I want to go back on," and we have informed them of the risks and we are happy in our assessment that they will not harm themselves further, then we must allow them back on.

You and I, as external people to our medical team CAN NOT sit at our computers or in the stands and possibly know how the assessment of Max's or Gilbo's ankle went. Perhaps the laxity in the ankle was minimal and with some strapping, there was no further risk of the ankle rolling. Perhaps the injury was simply a bit of scar tissue (from a previous injury) ripping, meaning that no actual ligamentous tissue was damaged. I don't know, I'm just hypothesising. The only people that do know the answer to what happened to these players are the people that assessed them.

I understand your "common sense" approach to asking the question, but please believe me - medical treatment of anyone, let alone an elite footballer is complex and relies on more than just common sense.

And without personally having a go at you, in general it is people who have started to question the medical profession that has led to us having to do what the patient wants, rather than making the call for ourselves. In the past, doctors would treat based on their knowledge and expertise and nothing else. Now the patient has to be consulted for fear of litigation from a know it all who has read on the internet that a different course of action would have worked. This is why we have to listen to the player now, so that they don't come at us the next week and say "You cost me my place in the side because you wouldn't let me back on," or something to that effect.
Thanks for posting a sensible answer instead of all this what would you know your not a med crap I've been getting. I appreciate and respect what you are saying It just seemed odd to have these players do injuries that have put them out of action and they were allowed back out.

The question now is when they came off if they were Iced straight up and took no further part would that have made a difference? Could going back out playing on it have made it worse.

Also to add to that we had nothing to gain the games were over.

kp83
Club Player

Winmar7Fan wrote:Thanks for posting a sensible answer instead of all this what would you know your not a med crap I've been getting. I appreciate and respect what you are saying It just seemed odd to have these players do injuries that have put them out of action and they were allowed back out.

The question now is when they came off if they were Iced straight up and took no further part would that have made a difference? Could going back out playing on it have made it worse.

Also to add to that we had nothing to gain the games were over.
I would have thought Max would have missed this week anyway, even if he had iced straight away, but this is purely going on my own experience without knowing what the diagnosis is/was. Going back out potentially would exacerbate the inflammatory response in the short term, leading to more swelling and pain after the game, but we are getting pretty good at managing this now and a day or two after the injury, I would have thought Max would have been at the same level regardless of whether he stopped or not.

Just on your last point, it is never up to the medical staff to decide whether the game is over or not - this obviously comes from the coaching staff. So we would communicate to the staff that the player is ok to go back on if needed, then it is up to the coaches to decide what they want to do. I have never met a coach who is happy for the physio to tell them the game is done so lets rest this bloke!

Winmar7Fan
Club Player

yipper wrote:My goodness, I'd thought I had seen everything on here over the years. But up comes another "expert" internet poster telling us all that he has more common sense than our Professionally trained doctors and Physios and that they are to blame for losing a couple of players!! Common sense huh?? Yeah righto!! Some StKilda "supporters" really do scrape the barrel to find ways to criticise our club.
I'm questioning the decision (that none of us on here can truly answer) to send these players back out when they had injuries that have side lined them when It wasn't necessary.

Did I blame the meds for these Injuries or the Club? If you haven't got the Intellect to understand someones point correctly don't try to make a hero of yourself with attacking accusations

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Winmar7Fan wrote:
I'm questioning the decision (that none of us on here can truly answer) to send these players back out when they had injuries that have side lined them when It wasn't necessary.

No you're not -you're categorically stating that you know better and that anybody who disagrees with your opinion is 'blindly bias'.
And furthermore, you're accusing the Club and it's staff of being derelict in their duty towards injured players.

Did I blame the meds for these Injuries or the Club? If you haven't got the Intellect to understand someones point correctly don't try to make a hero of yourself with attacking accusations
As far as I can see the only person seeming to lack intellect in this debate would be you - as you seem incapable of accepting that any opinion other than you own ill-informed one could possibly be valid.

Why do you feel the need to personally denigrate other posters who happen to not share your opinion on things.

It's quite apparent that very few share your view on this.
And it's pretty obvious that no amount of knowledge or logic by others on this matter is going to convince you that your view may be incorrect.

Winmar7Fan
Club Player

Mr Magic wrote:
Winmar7Fan wrote:

No you're not -you're categorically stating that you know better and that anybody who disagrees with your opinion is 'blindly bias'.
And furthermore, you're accusing the Club and it's staff of being derelict in their duty towards injured players.

As far as I can see the only person seeming to lack intellect in this debate would be you - as you seem incapable of accepting that any opinion other than you own ill-informed one could possibly be valid.

Why do you feel the need to personally denigrate other posters who happen to not share your opinion on things.

And it's pretty obvious that no amount of knowledge or logic by others on this matter is going to convince you that your view may be incorrect.
You have a strange way of seeing things. Read back yourself and yipper give no opinion you just laid the boots in because you didn't like mine.

OK what's your view on it do you think Max should have gone back out when the game was over now he's out injured?

That's all I'm asking without getting defensive about who's being accused and what would I know about soft tissue injuries etc.

I just don't think Gilbert or Max needed to or should have gone back out thats it.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Winmar7Fan wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:
Winmar7Fan wrote:

You have a strange way of seeing things. Read back yourself and yipper give no opinion you just laid the boots in because you didn't like mine.

OK what's your view on it do you think Max should have gone back out when the game was over now he's out injured?

That's all I'm asking without getting defensive about who's being accused and what would I know about soft tissue injuries etc.

I just don't think Gilbert or Max needed to or should have gone back out thats it.
Simple answer.
I trust the people employed by the CLub on all things medical/fitness.

Their record so far this season gives me great confidence in their ability to judge when a player is right or wrong to go back on.

As I said in my first response to your nonsense, I'm not arrogant enough to believe that my opinion has any validity over their's, especially when I have next to no expertise in the matter and I wasn't there to assess what was going on - only watching it on tv or from the grandstand.

BTW, why did you leave out Milne in this rant of yours. He too was allowed to go back onto the ground after injuring his leg, which subsequently saw him out for at least 2 games.

And what about all the other players who have come off injured this year and gone back on after assessment and treatment? Are you only concerned with the ability of the fitness/medicos when the player subsequently misses a game?

Surely if you're questioning any of them, you should be questioning all of them?

Or does your concern only occur when you determine that the game is beyond doubt?

And also BTW, if you think that Yipper wasn't giving an opinion on your preposterous position, then I understand fully why you've reached the opinion you have.
I would have thought the use of "expert", "supporters" and 'scrape the barrell' are a pretty good hint.

Shaggy
Club Player

Mr Magic wrote:
Simple answer.

Their record so far this season gives me great confidence in their ability to judge when a player is right or wrong to go back on.

As I said in my first response to your nonsense, I'm not arrogant enough to believe that my opinion has any validity over their's, especially when I have next to no expertise in the matter and I wasn't there to assess what was going on - only watching it on tv or from the grandstand.

BTW, why did you leave out Milne in this rant of yours. He too was allowed to go back onto the ground after injuring his leg, which subsequently saw him out for at least 2 games.

And what about all the other players who have come off injured this year and gone back on after assessment and treatment? Are you only concerned with the ability of the fitness/medicos when the player subsequently misses a game?

Surely if you're questioning any of them, you should be questioning all of them?

Or does your concern only occur when you determine that the game is beyond doubt?

And also BTW, if you think that Yipper wasn't giving an opinion on your preposterous position, then I understand fully why you've reached the opinion you have.
I would have thought the use of "expert", "supporters" and 'scrape the barrell' are a pretty good hint.
IMO the op asks a fair question.

It wasn't the medical staff's decision to put Max back on the ground. They would have merely given the all clear that his injury is unlikely to get worse if he was required to go back on. That still does not explain the decision to put Max back on.

I guess Max wanted to get out there again. Regardless you could see the real pain he was in on the big screen when he went down. When he ran back out on the ground I did think this was crazy.

Having this opinion doesn’t mean I think I know better than the medical experts.

But I don’t see any upside playing injured players when we appear to have the game in hand.

I fully understand it if the game is in the balance and it happens quite often.

But if it is not necessary to play your injured why do it?

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Shaggy,
I have no objection to having an opinion.
Go back and read the OP.
He was not content in giving an opinion.
He wnated you, I and the rest of the forum to know he knew better.
He was criticising everybody involved based on his opinion.

He has subsequently admitted that he doesn't have the specialist knowledge to make an informed opinion on the matter, but that doesn't stop him from criticizing everybody for doing the opposite of what he comnsiders 'common sense'.

Therefore, IMO, he's fair game to be ridiculed and criticised for making an asinine post on a subjet he has little knowledge on.

Arrogance, sheer arrogance on his part that he knows better than all the professional experts.

But, that's just my opinion of his opinion.

You may choose to agree with him?
If so, let me ask you a question:-

Who would you rather assess your football injury and your ability to play on - the fitness/medicos/coaches at St Kilda or him?

matrix
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:Who would you rather assess your football injury and your ability to play on - the fitness/medicos/coaches at St Kilda or him?
none of them....id trust myself knowing my body well enough.
8-)

Winmar7Fan
Club Player

Mr Magic wrote:
Winmar7Fan wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:
Winmar7Fan wrote:

Simple answer.

[/quote

You have a bad habit of making assumptions the only reason I left Milne out is because I didn't think of him maybe because he didn't look as bad but yeah he could probably be added too.

Don't come up with this everyone on the forum rubbish only a few people have commented. A couple gave a fair veiw and the others have basically said these guys know what there doing you don't like is it not possible they could make a bad call.

If anyone is being arrogant about the whole thing it's you. One thing I never do on here because it shows crap form is to personally attack and lay the boots into someone post because I don't agree with them.

Go back to your first response in this thread. No constructive opinion just a heap of crap thrown at me.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Winmar7fan
You still don't understand the point.
It's got nothing to do with whether I agree or disagree with you.

Do you actually understand what you posted in the OP?

I wouldn't have had a problem if you just posted a question or an opinion.

No you chose to arrogantly post that 'anybody with common sense' therefore tarnishing all those who didn't agree with your POV as 'lacking common sense'

Maybe it's not arrogance?
Maybe it's just a simple case of you not understanding the meaning and/or consequences of your own words?

Either way, this debate is over for me because I've wasted enough braincells on a poster who thinks he's an expert whilst in reality he's nothing but a 'know nothing nuffie'.

Winmar7Fan
Club Player

Ok It's now been 3 games out for Max and who knows how many more or if this will even finish his career. Is he going to have to earn his spot again and come back through the twos?

For all the crap I copped because I'm not qualified medically to say, I don't believe he should have been allowed back out to possibly aggravate an Injury that has now been 3 weeks when the game was as good as over.

What I don't know is how is the call made?

If the player wants to go back out so bad that he says to the medic he's fine when he's not does the medic just let the player make the call? Then who has to convince the Coach to let him back out? What if the player says he's fine and the medic doesn't think so is the medics call final with the Coach?

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Winmar7Fan wrote:Ok It's now been 3 games out for Max and who knows how many more or if this will even finish his career. Is he going to have to earn his spot again and come back through the twos?

For all the crap I copped because I'm not qualified medically to say, I don't believe he should have been allowed back out to possibly aggravate an Injury that has now been 3 weeks when the game was as good as over.

What I don't know is how is the call made?

If the player wants to go back out so bad that he says to the medic he's fine when he's not does the medic just let the player make the call? Then who has to convince the Coach to let him back out? What if the player says he's fine and the medic doesn't think so is the medics call final with the Coach?
Well if you'd have couched your OP in these terms you would certainly have copped no crap from me over it.

I don't definitively know the answer to the question you posed.
My guess is that clubs have different views on it.
I recall in Round 1 when Cousins appeared to tell the medicos that he was 'no good' and yet they obviously chose to tell the coaching staff at Richmond that he was ok to go back on.

I think that in the case of suspected fractures it is a simple decision - no play.
With soft tissue injuries it may be that the damage doesn't really manifest itself until the player cools down? Quite often it would appear that strapping is all that is required to stabilize a weakness and allow a player to resume.