AFL MEMBERSHIP

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

#1GILL
SS Hall of Fame

AFL MEMBERSHIP

I am thinking about purchasing AFL Membership next year instead of the regular club membership.

Is anyone currently an AFL member?
IF so could you explain to me what you are entitled to and if it is worth the costly price.

Can you sit level 2 on the MCG...Where abouts are the seats at Etihad where you are allowed to sit.

Any help would be very helpful,
Thanks

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: AFL MEMBERSHIP

#1GILL wrote:I am thinking about purchasing AFL Membership next year instead of the regular club membership.

Is anyone currently an AFL member?
IF so could you explain to me what you are entitled to and if it is worth the costly price.

Can you sit level 2 on the MCG...Where abouts are the seats at Etihad where you are allowed to sit.

Any help would be very helpful,
Thanks
I am an AFL member and unless you make the finals or go and watch other teams in finals it is overpriced. However this year its looks worth it as you automatically get a ticket to the GF in your side is in it. You do have to pay about $90 though. As you will not become a full member for about 3 years you would not get this benefit unless all the tickets are not sold which doesnt usually happen when a Vic side is in it. At the G depending on the game you can usually sit on levels one and four. At the dome you can get a seat in the AFL area if available on level one or can sit anywhere on level 3.

saintsrus
SS Hall of Fame

its worth it even if your team doenst make it, I know afl members that scalp their tickets, which is enough to pay their yearly fee, so they can go to the footy for free and thats ALL games
Last edited by saintsrus on Fri 17 Jul 2009 2:16pm, edited 1 time in total.

Before Im 85
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

I'm an AFL member,StKilda club support and i'm also a Social club member and i still reckon i won't get a ticket to the Grand Final if we make it....There are NO guarantees for a Grand Final ticket.....

But yes you can sit on level 2 at the G,i sit on level 2 at Etihad but that
costs me an arm and a leg as well.....

I am entitled to go to over 40 games in the home and away season as an AFL member but i only go to about 16,depending on how many interstate games St Kilda has.....

The list changes for 2025 have begun, always an interesting time for an avid supporter.
Raven
Club Player

The best thing about the AFL membership (which I have) is going to virtually any game in Melbourne you want. It's great for me because I go to all the Saints games plus several others with friends who support other clubs.

It's been mentioned already but when you sign up you go into the queue to become a Gold AFL member meaning you have first rights to buy a GF ticket regardless of whether your club is participating.

So if you go to a lot of non-Saints games, it's really worth it. If you only go to Saints games, get a club membership + social club for a guaranteed GF ticket should we make it.

Raven
Club Player

bobmurray wrote:I'm an AFL member,StKilda club support and i'm also a Social club member and i still reckon i won't get a ticket to the Grand Final if we make it....There are NO guarantees for a Grand Final ticket.....
It's guaranteed if you're a SC member, only because the AFL allocate a certain amount of tickets to the competing clubs and our particular SC is capped to match that number. Good system and great motivation to pay that little extra.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Raven wrote:
bobmurray wrote:I'm an AFL member,StKilda club support and i'm also a Social club member and i still reckon i won't get a ticket to the Grand Final if we make it....There are NO guarantees for a Grand Final ticket.....
It's guaranteed if you're a SC member, only because the AFL allocate a certain amount of tickets to the competing clubs and our particular SC is capped to match that number. Good system and great motivation to pay that little extra.
I have my doubts because i think the Social club membership has exceeded the ticket allocation thus they can't now give that Grand Final ticket guarantee

The list changes for 2025 have begun, always an interesting time for an avid supporter.
Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote:
Raven wrote:
I have my doubts because i think the Social club membership has exceeded the ticket allocation thus they can't now give that Grand Final ticket guarantee
They capped the SC membership at exactly the allocation and it has been met. So each SC member WILL have access to purchasing one GF ticket.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

The waiting list to becaome a full AFL member is more like 7-8 years plugger. My wife has been a silver member for 7 years and has been told she should be right next year.

For mine an AFM membership is a no brainer. However in my family, my wife and youngest daughter are mad pies supporters, and myself and my older daughter are mad saints fans. In other words we often go to each other's games. (I see far too mnay collingwood games than I care to admit)

An AFL membership entitles you to free entry to 40 AFL games in MELBOURNE only. You pay the price of the booking fee for a reserved seat on level 1 at Etihad. At the G, yes you can sit on level 2 and 3 (N and P) but you generally have to book early - ie at the start of the month.

As a silver member you get free entry to the 1st 2 weeks of the finals series. I believe this includes interstate finals (plus the booking fee for a seat) AS a full member you get free entry to the first 3 weeks of the finals PLUS guaranteed entry to the GF if your nominated team makes it. Last year we played 3 finals. THis equated to approx $200 in finals tickets which I got for free. The GF is half price entry. I've only missed a handful of GF's since I've become a full member.

If you love footy - I reckon there's nothing better. You are also obviously still a member of the saints as well.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Iceman234 wrote:
bobmurray wrote:
Raven wrote:
They capped the SC membership at exactly the allocation and it has been met. So each SC member WILL have access to purchasing one GF ticket.
Good news then Iceman....I'll re plan for the end of September just in case things finally go our way...

#1GILL
SS Hall of Fame

[quote="Moods"]pay the price of the booking fee for a reserved seat on level 1 at Etihad. At the G, yes you can sit on level 2 and 3 (N and P) but you generally have to book early - ie at the start of the month[quote="Moods"]
If you book a reserved seat for level 2 at the G do you still pay the booking fee?

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Yes. You can book a seat via ticketmaster, request to sit on level 2 and 3 and all you pay is the cost of the booking fee. They're premium seats though, so you have to get in early.

#1GILL
SS Hall of Fame

Well thanks everyone....I do go to the footy alot and see other teams often with my mates. We were thinking about buying membership but needed a little more info....It sounds like it will be a goer.

Cheers,

ace
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:The waiting list to becaome a full AFL member is more like 7-8 years plugger. My wife has been a silver member for 7 years and has been told she should be right next year.

For mine an AFM membership is a no brainer. However in my family, my wife and youngest daughter are mad pies supporters, and myself and my older daughter are mad saints fans. In other words we often go to each other's games. (I see far too mnay collingwood games than I care to admit)

An AFL membership entitles you to free entry to 40 AFL games in MELBOURNE only. You pay the price of the booking fee for a reserved seat on level 1 at Etihad. At the G, yes you can sit on level 2 and 3 (N and P) but you generally have to book early - ie at the start of the month.

As a silver member you get free entry to the 1st 2 weeks of the finals series. I believe this includes interstate finals (plus the booking fee for a seat) AS a full member you get free entry to the first 3 weeks of the finals PLUS guaranteed entry to the GF if your nominated team makes it. Last year we played 3 finals. THis equated to approx $200 in finals tickets which I got for free. The GF is half price entry. I've only missed a handful of GF's since I've become a full member.

If you love footy - I reckon there's nothing better. You are also obviously still a member of the saints as well.
Membership what a fraud.
The AFL only has subscribers.
Members should have a say in a democratic manner.
AFL subscribers submit to the dictatorship of the AFL who feel free to change the rules as they see fit.
Silver AFL subscribers were in a waiting list to become gold AFL subscribers (with grand final access guaranteed) but when the Docklands stadium was built all Medallion Club subscribers got to jump the queue to the grand final ticket guarantee.
Silver AFL subscribers were simply queue jumped.
Even now new medallion club subscribers get grand final access ahead of silver AFL subscribers who have been waiting years.

When the future a king of Denmark (son of Princess Mary) was nominated to join the Melbourne Cricket Club he went to the back of the waiting list.
Club memebership should have integrity.
All the money and royal rank does not help this little prince jump the queue.
Is it any wonder more than 100,000 people are on the MCC waiting list.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
aussierules0k
Saintsational Legend

Last edited by aussierules0k on Tue 06 Apr 2010 1:57am, edited 1 time in total.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

aussierules0k wrote:For me... it's all about where my true allegiances lie.

I am 100% a Sainter. The AFL could offer me a limo to attend games... I'd still buy my Saints membership.
I swear allegiance to the Saints... not the AFL.
IF the Saints started playing Soccer next year... I'd still follow them... and that's saying a lot... seeing as I hate Soccer. ;)
And that's my point. An AFL membership means you still ARE a member of the saints. $150 or whatever it is to become a fully paid up club member is taken from your payment and given to your club (saints) An MCC membership means you get to join an Old School Tie club that benefits the saints how?

I agree with what ace said. AFL membership isn't perfect and I wasn't aware about medallion members jumping the queue. Explains a bit though. Still can't believe that the AFL used to present the premiership team in front of the MCC, rather than their own members.

aussierules0k
Saintsational Legend

Last edited by aussierules0k on Tue 06 Apr 2010 1:57am, edited 1 time in total.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

But yes you can sit on level 2 at the G,i sit on level 2 at Etihad but that
costs me an arm and a leg as well.....

I am entitled to go to over 40 games in the home and away season as an AFL member but i only go to about 16,depending on how many interstate games St Kilda has.....
You may not be guareented a GF ticket but it is impossible to miss out if you ring up on the right day for the 2 teams that play in the GF. So in other words it is guareented.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

thats gonna be he greatest phone call of my life...... 8-)

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

matrixcutter wrote:thats gonna be he greatest phone call of my life...... 8-)
And we all hope you, and the rest of us, get to make it.

No doubt the benefits of AFL membership have declined over the years, but, if you can afford it (about $400) then it provides very good value, especially if there are finals for us in Melbourne (not exactly a monty over the years).

Gurgman
Club Player

AFL membership used to be sensational , i signed up the first year and it was great for several years , you could go to as many games as you wanted and you got in free to all finals including the grand final for free , I used to go to all the grannys just to stir the crap out of some suck Geelong mates , it was so good seeing those puss bags loose so many but typical of the AFL once the great southern stand was payed off they started cutting all the benefits back , its still ok and it does make it a fair bit easier to get finals tickets .

#1GILL
SS Hall of Fame

How many 'guest passes' fan AFL Members obtain per match and how much do they cost for a junior, adult, concession?

Moods
Saintsational Legend

I think you can purchase 4 per ticket, however they are slightly more expensive than what you would pay for general admission. If it's a huge game, (expected huge crowd) then they restrict guest passes or not allow them at all.

Moorabbin Saints
Club Player

I've got it and it is well worth it. I went to 30 games plus nearly every final last year (including the Grand Final). My dad signed me up in about 2003 and I'm now a full member and love it. To answer your questions:

At the MCG you can sit in any general admission area as well as Level 1, 2A and 4 in the AFL members (subject to crowd).

At the Dome you can sit in any unreserved Level 3 however you may book a reserved seat via Ticketmaster either prior (with a cost of 5.50) to the game or at the window on game day (free however you don't get choice of seats).

I go to plenty of neutral games with mates so it suits me really well. Also your pretty much guaranteed a GF ticket if your a full member unless it contains two of Carlton, Collingwood or Essendon. We just lined up at an outlet whilst on the phone also.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Moorabbin Saints wrote:My dad signed me up in about 2003 and I'm now a full member and love it. To answer your questions:
When did you become a full member? My missus joined at the start of 2003 and is still waiting to become a full member. The last 2 years she has rung up to enquire as to her status, she's been told 'you're only a few hundred off.'