Media doesn't like Saints

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

crackers35
Club Player

Media doesn't like Saints

I noticed that after we beat Geelong the media (especially Herald Sun) could only say that "there was no winner" beacuse it came down to 1 goal.

Yet in today's Herald Sun they're all going on about how great Collingwood is and saying that they are the best of the rest.

How could this be?
Collingwood got out to a 7-goal lead and then did stuff-all to win the game and only won beacuse Brad Johnson as his usual elf tried to be the big hero.

We won by 6-points against the best team of the last couple of years but "there was no winner"

Yet Collingwood does nothing to win against the Bulldogs and it's "Oh Collingwood deserved that and they played so great"

This is just the latest incident in the last number of years that has really been annoying me.

Looking forward to 2010 - I'm gonna Lovett!
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Collingwood sell papers. The staff at the HS know this in actuall fact most staffers there would be able to quote the fact that when Darren Milane died the record for funeral notices was set and has since never been broken.

It's all about the money when it comes to tabloids but don't dare suggest this to a journo.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

I have a feeling if we are in the GF we will be mentioned on 10 pages a day.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:I have a feeling if we are in the GF we will be mentioned on 10 pages a day.
And if we win, there'll be some bulls*** excuse as to why we didn't deserve to. Pricks.

Leo.J
SS Life Member

I'd prefer to fly under the radar tbh.

I remeber thinking that about round 9, imagine if Collingwood, Essendon, or Carlton were 9 zip. The papers would have been at fever pitch, talking about flags and possible records.

You wait and see, the news papers will give Collingwood more coverage if they have a 9-10 game winning streak, than if we go 16 straight...

felixleo
Club Player

Try not to let it worry you and think if they are pumping them up it will give us underdog status. Also as regards the filth they have two possible gimme games (Carlscum and the tiggys) the rest Hawks,Lions,Swans,Doggys again all in Melbourne and the Crows at Aami will show whether they are a genuine threat or pretenders.

Are you gonna be the one?
bozza1980
Club Player

To be fair, last season was a bit like this too.

Most of the press was devoted to which sides could challenge Geelong rather than how good they were going.

In fact after the most hyped match (until rd 14 this year) Geelong v Hawthorn Rd 17 last year, was a Geelong victory yet all you could read was how the match proved Hawthorn was a contender.

I do believe that there is a wide belief that we find a way to stuff this up and the press isn't prepared to jump on board as wildly as they did back in 05 and preseason 2006.

This said, if we were to win the flag I think the press will be sickeningly sycophantic about us.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:
plugger66 wrote:I have a feeling if we are in the GF we will be mentioned on 10 pages a day.
And if we win, there'll be some bulls*** excuse as to why we didn't deserve to. Pricks.
Geez I hope so, that would be great.

I enjoyed the Geelong ands media's whining about the result almost as much as the game the other week :D :D

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Maxstar22
Club Player

joffaboy wrote:
degruch wrote:
Geez I hope so, that would be great.

I enjoyed the Geelong ands media's whining about the result almost as much as the game the other week :D :D
I can't remember where I read it, but it was some time ago...one of the papers/online was saying how we were off to a good start but we will the "bipolar saints" be able to go further. They then mentioned our past few years and how we were smashed by Geelong and Hawthorn in last years finals.

I realise our past form may not warrant a 10 page spread every week about how good we are, but surely they could just focus on the now and give us credit where credit is due. Surely that wouldn't be too hard??

asiu

me too

Milton66
SS Life Member

gazrat wrote:
me too
Yeah, but Bussiness class is still my preference.

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
aussiejones
Club Player

Just smile at each win .

We dont need the adulation of the scribes . Although I admit it would be "nice".

All journos and TV ' personalities' are biased by their own perceptions / previous careers/ etc to a varying extent.

Lets just be content to fly under the radar......its better than the bandwagon alternative and associated pressure of expectation.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

A perfect example is Quartermain interviewing Ross Lyon on "One week at a time" after the Geelong win.

He opened with "So this was not about the 4 points was it"

Ross look confused and answered "Well it really was about the 4 points, we just wanted to bank them" and then went on to talk about the importance of our ladder position.

Wouldn't it have been simple to say well done on the win, you managed to beat Geelong and you are now the only undefeated side and on top of the ladder?

Maxstar22
Club Player

Hopefully with our form so far and (fingers crossed) our success for the rest of the year, we may gain back some of the respect we have lost from the media over the past few years.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Premiership number 2 is all that matters.

Who cares what the media think. They are all about selling newspapers and TV ratings. Has nothing to do with facts.

St Kilda are the best team in the AFL so far this year and that is a fact.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
saint75
SS Hall of Fame

We don't need pats on the head or accolades from the media. Let them rave about the Collingwood, Adelaide, Bulldogs and Cats. We don't need the adulation, we just want to walk away with the cup in September!

Fortius Quo Fidelius
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Reap what you sow.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

maz1685
Club Player

Just about everyone I know that supports another team says the exact same thing (about their own team) and the only one that I agree that doesn't get any media attention (win or lose) is North Melbourne (apart from Laidley incident). While it's fair enough the media are not hyping up St Kilda as they did in previous years, I know I've read my fair share of "Amazing Saints" articles and I personally don't feel at all ignored by the media.

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

saint75 wrote:We don't need pats on the head or accolades from the media. Let them rave about..........the Bulldogs..........
There you go, that's the media darlings right there :shock:

No Contract, No contact :shock:
spert
Saintsational Legend

The last thing the media and a lot of the footy public generally had bargained for, was St.Kilda being unbeaten, sitting on top of the ladder at this stage in the season -and being a favorite for a flag. The media think and move slowly and probably a premiership this year will be the only thing to turn them around. The Collingwood vs Dogs match was billed as the game between tghe AFL's two "hottest teams" ..as opposed to the teams above them who have won more games

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:The last thing the media and a lot of the footy public generally had bargained for, was St.Kilda being unbeaten, sitting on top of the ladder at this stage in the season -and being a favorite for a flag. The media think and move slowly and probably a premiership this year will be the only thing to turn them around. The Collingwood vs Dogs match was billed as the game between tghe AFL's two "hottest teams" ..as opposed to the teams above them who have won more games
You cannot seriously say the pies/ Dogs game got more positive publicity than our game a week earlier. I have never seen so much positive publicity about our game in all my time of watching footy.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

The medias love for Collingwood goes back to the black and white days of newspaper photographs. A photo of a Collingwood player was the equivalent to a colour photo.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:The last thing the media and a lot of the footy public generally had bargained for, was St.Kilda being unbeaten, sitting on top of the ladder at this stage in the season -and being a favorite for a flag. The media think and move slowly and probably a premiership this year will be the only thing to turn them around. The Collingwood vs Dogs match was billed as the game between tghe AFL's two "hottest teams" ..as opposed to the teams above them who have won more games
You cannot seriously say the pies/ Dogs game got more positive publicity than our game a week earlier. I have never seen so much positive publicity about our game in all my time of watching footy.
You reckon those build ups were over the top? Just thank you lucky stars you aren't a rugby league fan. Such was the level of sidesplittingly cheesy pre game hype at the start last nights coverage of the State of Origin, I couldn't even bring myself to watch the main event....

It made me extremely grateful for what we have!