Now that a top 2 spot is all but ours.......

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Nick
Club Player

Now that a top 2 spot is all but ours.......

Lyon now needs to start rotating players. If he doesn't do this starting this week he is crazy.

Changes for this week.......

Ins : Armatage, McGuire, Eddy

Out : Ball, Fisher, Milne

No signature
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I think if Ross starts rotating players, he is crazy!

But you're entitled to your opinion....

markp
Saintsational Legend

I heard on SEN that someone asked Ross about this yesterday and he said "at St Kilda we just want to win".... I think it may be best team available every week.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Considerable press lately saying he won't do this.

However, he may need to swap some around to get the right side for this week's trip to Subi.

spert
Saintsational Legend

No changes -when you're on a good thing, stick to it!

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Re: Now that a top 2 spot is all but ours.......

Nick wrote:Lyon now needs to start rotating players. If he doesn't do this starting this week he is crazy.

Ahh lovely, someone else who thinks he knows more than the coaching staff..a little "In my opinion" never goes astray :-)

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
Nick
Club Player

saint66au wrote:
Nick wrote:Lyon now needs to start rotating players. If he doesn't do this starting this week he is crazy.

Ahh lovely, someone else who thinks he knows more than the coaching staff..a little "In my opinion" never goes astray :-)
I do not know more than the coaching staff. It's called player management, simple as that.

No signature
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Has 'nick' the mod now reached maturity and become 'Nick'? :)

I have to admit I was confused when I saw the thread, that it was 'nick' the mod.
Only when I read the OP did I realize it was someone else.

Maybe the new 'Nick' should add something to his posting name to differentiate between the 2 names?

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:Has 'nick' the mod now reached maturity and become 'Nick'? :)

I have to admit I was confused when I saw the thread, that it was 'nick' the mod.

Maybe the new 'Nick' should add something to his posting name to differentiate between the 2 names?
Aren't you thinking of N1ck?

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

If I was a player in this team at this time and the coach told me that he wanted me to give up my spot for a rest I would tell him to go forth and multiply.

I would not risk someone coming in and playing a blinder thereby making it difficult for me to get my spot back.

Fatigue in the season can be managed by time on the ground and resting forward or back and rotations through the middle.

We don't need to flirt with our form now.

markp
Saintsational Legend

They're very similar nics...

chook23
Saintsational Legend

Disagree strongly

Do not flirt with form etc ........

team changes based on genuine injury/form

saint4life
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:Has 'nick' the mod now reached maturity and become 'Nick'? :)

Aren't you thinking of N1ck?
Yep nick and Nick should use differnt nicks so that when we see the nick/Nick we know which nick is being used by which nick/Nick.

I hope that's plain? :)

matrix
Saintsational Legend

explained in the nick of time .

OP:....no lyon does not
unless bally is feeling the 'strain' so to speak
IMO

yipper
SS Life Member

Yes I'm sure the best coach in the game is going to start flirting with his team's form and treating opponents with disrespect and generally de-stabilising his teams structures 8 rounds out from the finals where his team is a genuine flag contender. Righto. Good thinking nick!!

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Nick wrote:I do not know more than the coaching staff. It's called player management, simple as that.
So you dont like the Saints player management at the moment?

Seen the injury list lately?

Seen the win/loss ratio lately?

n00b Fail :roll:

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

If cox doesn't get up, then Natinui and Lynch will share rucking duties, therefore leaving LeCras as the only dangerous forward target. I'm not sure having Blake, Fisher and Dawson in the same backline is required, so you could play fisher forward, or rest either one of them, and bring in Dempster. I'd say dempster coming in is a certainty, just depends on who goes out.

Armo isn't beating down the door at Sandy, and Goose just doesn't fit the structure at the moment. Eddy might come in if they think Geary needs a spell, but apart from that, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

HarveysDeciple

Name one premiership side ever that has started randomly dropping guns "just to give them a rest"? Crazy stuff.

Best 22 available, each and every single week.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Its Eddy McGuire not McGuire Eddy.

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

Is this in response to Lyon's press statement that he was categorically not going to rotate players?

If not... uh... nice timing.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/ ... fault.aspx

St Kilda won't rotate, rest players

DESPITE sitting one game clear of Geelong at the top of the ladder and four clear of the Western Bulldogs in third position, St Kilda coach Ross Lyon says he has no plans to give any of his players a rest in the lead-up to the finals.

Lyon said he would be hesitant to tamper with a winning formula that sees the Saints undefeated after 14 rounds.

St Kilda has used just 26 players this season, four less than the Cats and Bulldogs and 10 fewer than fourth-placed Collingwood.

"It hasn't been on the agenda," Lyon said from Linen House Oval on Wednesday afternoon. "We really like winning at the Saints and it is pretty hard to get yourself in a position where you’re playing good enough football to win.

"We’ll pick the team for what we need over at Subiaco against the Eagles and it may mean some players come in and go out but, fundamentally, it’s about earning your spot and keeping your spot.

"We won’t be rotating and resting players."

Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

plugger66 wrote:
Its Eddy McGuire not McGuire Eddy.

:lol: :lol:

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

InkerSaint wrote:Is this in response to Lyon's press statement that he was categorically not going to rotate players?

If not... uh... nice timing.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/ ... fault.aspx

St Kilda won't rotate, rest players

DESPITE sitting one game clear of Geelong at the top of the ladder and four clear of the Western Bulldogs in third position, St Kilda coach Ross Lyon says he has no plans to give any of his players a rest in the lead-up to the finals.

Lyon said he would be hesitant to tamper with a winning formula that sees the Saints undefeated after 14 rounds.

St Kilda has used just 26 players this season, four less than the Cats and Bulldogs and 10 fewer than fourth-placed Collingwood.

"It hasn't been on the agenda," Lyon said from Linen House Oval on Wednesday afternoon. "We really like winning at the Saints and it is pretty hard to get yourself in a position where you’re playing good enough football to win.

"We’ll pick the team for what we need over at Subiaco against the Eagles and it may mean some players come in and go out but, fundamentally, it’s about earning your spot and keeping your spot.

"We won’t be rotating and resting players."
The BEST way to play this is to rest and rotate the players, but tell the media you're not.

It's one issue the media badly stuffs up. Flirting with your form is an absolute myth that the media has invented. Ok?

It doesn't exist.

We would be absolutely stupid not to gear everything we do around winning a premiership and having the best 22 available for a tilt at September.

Rotating players happens in EVERY sport in the world, yet somebody in the 1940s decided it was a bad idea to keep players fresh for a tilt at winning a flag.

You would think that given our injury troubles of 2004-6, we'd do everything humanly possible to get ourselves right in the finals.

I hope Ross just makes 1-2 rest-based changes every week. The difference it could make should not be underestimated. It could give us a 10% boost in a Prelim.

The players will appreciate it and they WON'T lose form.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:We would be absolutely stupid not to gear everything we do around winning a premiership and having the best 22 available for a tilt at September.
Regardless, I think RL will be picking the best team for the job against the Eagles this week...taking into account individual's fitness levels. That may mean fresh legs are brought in, especially for the larger ground.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:
evertonfc wrote:We would be absolutely stupid not to gear everything we do around winning a premiership and having the best 22 available for a tilt at September.
Regardless, I think RL will be picking the best team for the job against the Eagles this week...taking into account individual's fitness levels. That may mean fresh legs are brought in, especially for the larger ground.
I think you can get the balance just right.

Balancing the best/freshest team isn't the myhtical beast some on this board have made it out to be.

A 60% fit Andrew McQualter, for example, should probably get a week off in favour of a 99% fit David Armitage or Rob Eddy.

But a 90% fit Nick Riewoldt over a 99% fit Tom Lynch? Well, probably not...

I reckon it can be done. I'm sure Football Manager fans will agree :wink:

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:Balancing the best/freshest team isn't the myhtical beast some on this board have made it out to be.

A 60% fit Andrew McQualter, for example, should probably get a week off in favour of a 99% fit David Armitage or Rob Eddy.

But a 90% fit Nick Riewoldt over a 99% fit Tom Lynch? Well, probably not...

I reckon it can be done. I'm sure Football Manager fans will agree :wink:
I totally agree...it's a better idea than swapping around names for the sake of 'giving a guy a run' or because his name hasn't been in the budget this season.