Some Saints supporters make me sick

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Beej
Saintsational Legend

Absolutely stunned that some think Raph had a good game.

Stunned.

Take off the rose tinters. Just because a footballer played for the St Kilda footy club in a great win does not mean they must have been world-beaters on the day.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

OLB wrote: Ball 14 touches, 3 tackles.

Geary 4 touches, no tackles.

Generally speaking, a player needs to touch the footy to be involved in a game.
...and Raph? You better include 1%ers.

BTW, Raph has never looked nervous or panicy his entire career.

Every fan is entitled to their opinion, but if their opinion is opposite to fact it's hardly likely to get taken seriously.

Beej
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:BTW, Raph has never looked nervous or panicy his entire career.
Blimey. :shock:

bob__71
Club Player

mate that ball Raph slapped forward...which was going over his head. If he hadnt streched to get a hand on it would have left about three geelong players running into an open goal. He tried and at least made it a contest. It didnt come off...but it was still the right thing to do.

Winmar7Fan
Club Player

OLB wrote:I don't understand how players are above criticism.

Supporters, all supporters want a side capable of winning a flag and if they don't feel a player is good enough then they're allowed to have an opinion.

Raph looked panicky and nervous from start to finish.

Have a look at Rooke's goal in the last. Footy came to Raph and instead of gaining possession he decided to slap it forward. Rooke gathered and goaled. Raph had absolutely no composure at all in that instance.

Another moment in the third or fourth where Raph went up for a mark unchallenged and totally misjudged the flight of the ball and allowed the ball to run behind him.

Another moment he received the ball in the centre square, panicked, possibly threw the ball out and coughed up possession.

I have no trust in him to stand up when a game is on the line. He's like a deer in headlights, totally overcome by nerves.

Anyone who thinks he deserves to keep his spot after that performance has no idea IMO.
I generally feel the same although I must say this was one of his better games. When he gets the ball he just seems so slow and vulnerable It's almost enormous relief when he disposes of it without something going wrong.

But maybe in this team playing as well as we are now his confidence might lift. He does seem to be playing better in the last couple of games.

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

I had the distinct misfortune to be sitting next to a couple of tools at the Geelong game who just bagged the crap out of Raph from the minute the ball was bounced. Some of the hate filled garbage they spewed out made me ashamed to be a St Kilda fan.

It's one thing to be critical of a player for making a mistake, especially during the heat of the game but to sit there and yell abuse for no reason is disgraceful. I finally had enough and let fly with my own barrage which shut them up for a while.

Raph was OK on Sunday, he did make some errors but this was a brutal game of footy there were players with bigger reputations who made bigger mistakes or didn't play well who avoid any type of criticism.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bob__71 wrote:
OLB wrote:
yipper wrote:
OLB wrote:I don't understand how players are above criticism.

Supporters, all supporters want a side capable of winning a flag and if they don't feel a player is good enough then they're allowed to have an opinion.

Raph looked panicky and nervous from start to finish.

Have a look at Rooke's goal in the last. Footy came to Raph and instead of gaining possession he decided to slap it forward. Rooke gathered and goaled. Raph had absolutely no composure at all in that instance.

Another moment in the third or fourth where Raph went up for a mark unchallenged and totally misjudged the flight of the ball and allowed the ball to run behind him.

Another moment he received the ball in the centre square, panicked, possibly threw the ball out and coughed up possession.

I have no trust in him to stand up when a game is on the line. He's like a deer in headlights, totally overcome by nerves.

Anyone who thinks he deserves to keep his spot after that performance has no idea IMO.
Interesting to see if Ross Lyon has any idea about the game then when he picks the team this week!! :roll:
Every club has this type of supporter.

The type who refuse to see a footballer's misgivings because they are blinded by the crest they wear on their guernsey.

Thank god coaches and assistants are a lot more ruthless when picking a side or else you'd have players getting a games because they're unfairly maligned or because they're top blokes.

Raph may be in the team next week, but if he is it is not because he performed well on the weekend, it's because there is nobody better to come in.

Lucky for Raph that Geary was totally anonymous so he would be first in line you would think.
I think the mods should be able to ban posters for being wankers
See all of you in 14 days.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

OLB wrote: Geelong replaced David Johnson with Matthew Stokes. David Johnson is a defender and Stokes is a forward.

And then they replaced Steve Johnson with Simon Hogan.

This is hardly a new phenomenon sweeping the AFL.

Seen a game before, son?

Ball 14 touches, 3 tackles.

Geary 4 touches, no tackles.

Generally speaking, a player needs to touch the footy to be involved in a game.
You are really clueless. Ball 14 touches and three tackles is a pathetic return from a midfielder.

Ball was by far our worst player and going on your stupid logic he should be dropped.

Then you inferred that raph would stay in because Geary had a shocker.

if you had actually been to a game this year you may have noticed that Geary is actually a midfielder and Raph Clarke is a backman.

As for Geelong I couldn't care less what they did - they lost.

Really mate your lack of football knowledge is showing through in this thread. Raph was integral to a defence that conceded six goals less than the Geelong average per game - the only reason Geelong got close to us because we had two midfield passengers - Geary and your hero Luke Ball.

they would be dropped before Raph, but because you have rose coloured glasses about Ball you cant see that.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
degruch
Saintsational Legend

OLB wrote:
Got the stats? You're just making this up.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

OLB wrote:Absolutely stunned that some think Raph had a good game.

Stunned.

Take off the rose tinters. Just because a footballer played for the St Kilda footy club in a great win does not mean they must have been world-beaters on the day.
You still dont get the point of the thread do you or were you one of the people who rang up.

Beej
Saintsational Legend

bob__71 wrote:mate that ball Raph slapped forward...which was going over his head. If he hadnt streched to get a hand on it would have left about three geelong players running into an open goal. He tried and at least made it a contest. It didnt come off...but it was still the right thing to do.
He could have caught that ball. Mooney, I think, was waiting to lay the tackle but Raph still had to take possession. The worst thing that would have happened had he taken possession was a ball up. He had teammates around him and if he was quick enough he could given a quick handball off.

As it turned out he panicked and took the easy option which was to slap it forward which is like saying, "someone else deal with it, I don't want the responsibility" and we conceded a crucial goal.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

Stunned.

You still dont get the point of the thread do you or were you one of the people who rang up.
Bingo.

As I said it is more than just critisism of a player.

Anonomous wankers who come out with hatefilled extremist rubbish have an ulterior agenda.

This OLB dill thinks because he has a bigotted hatefilled view, that it is correct.

Who said Raph had a good game? It wasn't bad, but he wasn't in the best.

Dont make things up unless you want your hatefilled agenda to be exposed.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Beej
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:
OLB wrote:
I would be amazed if someone actually agreed with you on that one.

Raph has played some terrific footy in patches but to suggest that he has NEVER looked nervous or panicky throughout his career beggars belief.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

Beej
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Stunned.

Bingo.

As I said it is more than just critisism of a player.

Anonomous wankers who come out with hatefilled extremist rubbish have an ulterior agenda.

This OLB dill thinks because he has a bigotted hatefilled view, that it is correct.

Who said Raph had a good game? It wasn't bad, but he wasn't in the best.

Dont make things up unless you want your hatefilled agenda to be exposed.
Can someone explain to me how this topic has ended up in a debate about race?

Oh, my word. :lol:

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Aside from finals, matches don't come any bigger.

When you think of the pressure he was under ... knowing that any mistake might be his last at senior level ... I thought he stood up okay.

I'd give him a run on the hff, taking the spot that has been gwilt's for most of the season.

It might be the making of him and suit his ability as a playmaker. Despite the views of some, he has ability.

Confidence is what he lacks and will come once he believes his spot in the team is secure.
Last edited by bigcarl on Tue 07 Jul 2009 5:19pm, edited 1 time in total.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

OLB wrote:
degruch wrote:
OLB wrote:
I would be amazed if someone actually agreed with you on that one.

Raph has played some terrific footy in patches but to suggest that he has NEVER looked nervous or panicky throughout his career beggars belief.
Doesn't look like you've got too many friends there. Sloppy disposal, lazy, yeah...nervous, panicky? As mentioned above, no-one said he was a superstar, but there was absolutely nothing wrong with his game Sunday.

bob__71
Club Player

OLB wrote:
bob__71 wrote:mate that ball Raph slapped forward...which was going over his head. If he hadnt streched to get a hand on it would have left about three geelong players running into an open goal. He tried and at least made it a contest. It didnt come off...but it was still the right thing to do.
He could have caught that ball. Mooney, I think, was waiting to lay the tackle but Raph still had to take possession. The worst thing that would have happened had he taken possession was a ball up. He had teammates around him and if he was quick enough he could given a quick handball off.

As it turned out he panicked and took the easy option which was to slap it forward which is like saying, "someone else deal with it, I don't want the responsibility" and we conceded a crucial goal.
Ablett made a much worse mistake at the start of the game....should Geelong drop him?

maverick
Saintsational Legend

Firstly agree 100% with you P66, ringing radio stations and bagging players is a low act IMO.

Secondly, whilst Raph wasn't one of the best, I certainly thought he played his role and I was genuinely happy to see him part of a such a successful effort.

Players like Gram, Raph, Fisher, BJ & Milne will always get caught holding it or turn it over here and there because they run and carry, take risks and set up play.

Their overall games need to be assessed, not individual incidents

walski
Club Player

Re: Some Saints supporters make me sick

plugger66 wrote:Was listening to KB today and he has a part were people ring up and have a say on any topic. One Saints supporter rang up and bagged Raph which i thought was pretty poor considering we had probably our best home and away win ever. I thought that may be the end of it but after an ad break at least 10 other saints supporters came on a bagged Raph. Only one Saints supporter rang up to defend him and worse than that a Carlton supporter rang up to defend him.

People may say we bag players on here as well but the big difference is this forum is probably read by 95% Saints supporters where as any supporter can listen to the radio and what impression does that give of our club than we all start having a go at a player after a great win. Even worse is that hardly any players may read this site but i would imagine plenty listen to SEN. How would Raph feel if he heard that rubbish.

Finally I think the supporters who rang up today would be like the some Hawks supporters are after last weekend. They would be the type if we won our second flag ever this year and happened to struggle next year would go and tip beer on one of our players instead of celebrating one our greatest achievements. If someone from here rang up I would love to know why you needed to have a go at one of our players 2 days after one of our greatest wins.
Well said plugger - I'm not the biggest clarke fan but all the 22 deserve our admiration and applause after this weekend. A win that sets this club well into the future and pushes us further for that quest for the 2nd flag.

Beej
Saintsational Legend

bob__71 wrote:
OLB wrote:

Ablett made a much worse mistake at the start of the game....should Geelong drop him?
If those mistakes were part of a pattern then Ablett wouldn't be the player he is.

Fact of the matter is, everyone makes mistakes. The better players can sometimes make more of them because of they attempt things others would never dream of.

When they come off, they help to win games of footy.

bob__71
Club Player

OLB wrote:
bob__71 wrote:
OLB wrote:

If those mistakes were part of a pattern then Ablett wouldn't be the player he is.

Fact of the matter is, everyone makes mistakes. The better players can sometimes make more of them because of they attempt things others would never dream of.

Ablett tried to handball to a player....it didnt make the distance...resulted in a st.kilda goal he wasnt being tackled...it was a play any player would attempt. Did you even watch the game?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

OLB wrote:
bob__71 wrote:
OLB wrote:

Do you understand the point of the thread yet or are you just ignoring my question because you cant come up with an answer.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Re: Some Saints supporters make me sick

walski wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Was listening to KB today and he has a part were people ring up and have a say on any topic. One Saints supporter rang up and bagged Raph which i thought was pretty poor considering we had probably our best home and away win ever. I thought that may be the end of it but after an ad break at least 10 other saints supporters came on a bagged Raph. Only one Saints supporter rang up to defend him and worse than that a Carlton supporter rang up to defend him.

People may say we bag players on here as well but the big difference is this forum is probably read by 95% Saints supporters where as any supporter can listen to the radio and what impression does that give of our club than we all start having a go at a player after a great win. Even worse is that hardly any players may read this site but i would imagine plenty listen to SEN. How would Raph feel if he heard that rubbish.

Finally I think the supporters who rang up today would be like the some Hawks supporters are after last weekend. They would be the type if we won our second flag ever this year and happened to struggle next year would go and tip beer on one of our players instead of celebrating one our greatest achievements. If someone from here rang up I would love to know why you needed to have a go at one of our players 2 days after one of our greatest wins.
Well said plugger - I'm not the biggest clarke fan but all the 22 deserve our admiration and applause after this weekend. A win that sets this club well into the future and pushes us further for that quest for the 2nd flag.
Ditto to both posts - no worries about baggging a player on this site - IF it's a rational or well argued complaint. But to bag him in the public sphere is very poor. As for raph's game - coming back into the team in that blockbuster he was never going to be amongst the best - but he did his part on the day and obviously didn't cost us the game! Ball and Geary have also had better days, but neither was worst on ground - cats players have that honour!
Great win by the 22!

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
bob__71
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
OLB wrote:
bob__71 wrote:
OLB wrote:

Do you understand the point of the thread yet or are you just ignoring my question because you cant come up with an answer.
We all understand that it was him and his mates calling in. You found him.