Geary??

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

S.A Saint
Club Player

Geary??

whilst watching the game from home i didn't see geary at all involved....if i had not seen him in the team sheet i would have thought that he wasnt playing....

can anyone shed some light on this...did he get injured..or just couldnt get into the game....

and also should we look to try out a few players over the next few weeks like armo, steven....

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Geary??

S.A Saint wrote:whilst watching the game from home i didn't see geary at all involved....if i had not seen him in the team sheet i would have thought that he wasnt playing....

can anyone shed some light on this...did he get injured..or just couldnt get into the game....

and also should we look to try out a few players over the next few weeks like armo, steven....
Armo is injured. I doubt there will be a change this week. As for Geary he just struggled to get into the game but he will be given another chance you would think.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

I think he might have been partially successful in a negating role, but was effectively played out of the game.

Should others be considered for his role? Possibly Dempster or Eddy IMO. I think the season's too far gone to be thinking about Steven or Armo at this stage.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
howlinwolf
Club Player

I love his application. The kid has a red hot go. He is young and has a future.

Having said that his last month hasn't been as good as earlier this year.
He'd need to lift. Whether he's injured or out of form it's hard to say.

I fear for his place as this year is a serious tilt at the flag for us. We need to
bolster our side to be the very strongest it can be come finals time.

I'm thinking the best at this stage may be King for McEvoy. Max for Raph
and Dempster for Geary (if Gears form continues)

Dempster gives us a third forward option that can kick a long bomb.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

howlinwolf wrote:I'm thinking the best at this stage may be King for McEvoy. Max for Raph and Dempster for Geary (if Gears form continues)
i think you're probably right here...
howlinwolf wrote:Dempster gives us a third forward option that can kick a long bomb.
...but you're definitely wrong here. dempster playing forward? he's kicked 11 goals in his 73 game career! he doesn't become a forward just because you send him forward. how about he plays on a dangerous small forward or midfielder, in the important role he filled last year?

howlinwolf
Club Player

...but you're definitely wrong here. dempster playing forward? he's kicked 11 goals in his 73 game career! he doesn't become a forward just because you send him forward. how about he plays on a dangerous small forward or midfielder, in the important role he filled last year?[/quote]

I agree with you this is where Sean plays but in a Granny where you need a quick fix he could do damage kicking a goal.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

I just love the way the prolonged absence of a particular player through injury leads many on this forum to start to think they have all sorts of abilities that they simply don't have.

We've had Dempster as a running wingman for a few weeks, and now we get Dempster as a third forward. FFS!

Next of all it will be "thank god X Clarke will be back next season because we will need a decent second ruckman when King retires"!!

Dempster is 99% a defensive, negating player who concentrates on blotting a dangerous opponent out of the game. Watch any tape of him playing either for the Swans or us.

Yes he can be an accurate kick for goal. This makes him all the more dangerous as a tagger, because it will make the opposing coach think twice about trying to drag him into our forward 50.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
howlinwolf
Club Player

I'm listening to you mate BUT Geary's defensive pressure has been very
very low in recent weeks.

In fact check his stats this week. Some questioned whether he was
playing at all.

I'm trying to think how we can bolster what we have already.

Tell me on that basis and considering the GF is next week that Dempster's
defensive skills and occasional forward thrust would not be a better option ?

Relax.. and skip the FFS for FFS

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

howlinwolf wrote:I'm listening to you mate BUT Geary's defensive pressure has been very

playing at all.

Geary defensive pressure was poor against Geelong but the week before he laid 6 tackles, and the week before was another poor one, bot overall his defensive pressure has been good,.

Give the kid a break he can play and provide decent possessions and lay some great tackles

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Geary has played one good game in the last 4 or 5 weeks. I think he's struggling physically to keep up and could use a few weeks in the reserves. He's had a good season, but he's not giving us much at the moment and it wouldn't hurt to either get Dempster back or give Miles a go.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

howlinwolf wrote:I'm listening to you mate BUT Geary's defensive pressure has been very

playing at all.

Sorry mate, I'm not really arguing with you. If Dempster is ready - and he's clearly in good form - then bringing him in for Geary might be a good move ATM.

Geary has on occasions been a more creative player than Dempster generally is, but yesterday was the biggest stage you can play on short of a finals game, and Geary had his first go at such an occasion, and probably fell a bit short.

Dempster - a tough, seasoned veteran - for Geary therefore works for me. I'd be less enthusiastic about Dempster for Raph, with Geary keeping his place: too many taggers, not enough runners for mine.

- Jonathan Swift
St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

I just can't believe each and every week posters on here "target" a player or two and want changes each and every week...

It really amazes me...

So just who the week after....

McEvoy....

It's a wonder some have started that now... :roll:

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
TassieJones
Club Player

has had an amazing year, but he's young and inexperienced. it's inevitable he'd tire out especially with the sort of game we play.

we definitely need to think about resting him at some point in the coming weeks.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

St Fidelius wrote:I just can't believe each and every week posters on here "target" a player or two and want changes each and every week...

It really amazes me...

McEvoy....

Geary had four touches by memory....Is it impossible for you to comprehend any St Kilda player having a poor game?

In fact the original post firstly asks weather there were injury concerns and such to explain.

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:
St Fidelius wrote:I just can't believe each and every week posters on here "target" a player or two and want changes each and every week...

It really amazes me...

McEvoy....

Geary had four touches by memory....Is it impossible for you to comprehend any St Kilda player having a poor game?
Yes, he did have a bad game and the week before he had 22 disposals and laid 6 tackles....

Are you one one of these posters that if a player has a bad game they should be dropped immediately ????

Geary spent just 55% of game time...

and some posters want him dropped ....

It's the same every week, posters on here want changes every week

TassieJones
Club Player

St Fidelius wrote: Yes, he did have a bad game and the week before he had 22 disposals and laid 6 tackles....

Are you one one of these posters that if a player has a bad game they should be dropped immediately ????

Geary spent just 55% of game time...

and some posters want him dropped ....

It's the same every week, posters on here want changes every week
he's had 3 bad games out of the past 4 mate. surely you can see he's wearing out? the bloke's only just turned 21, we can't expect him to keep his intensity up for a whole season and it's beginning to show pretty blatantly.

battye
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:I just love the way the prolonged absence of a particular player through injury leads many on this forum to start to think they have all sorts of abilities that they simply don't have.

We've had Dempster as a running wingman for a few weeks, and now we get Dempster as a third forward. FFS!

Next of all it will be "thank god X Clarke will be back next season because we will need a decent second ruckman when King retires"!!

Dempster is 99% a defensive, negating player who concentrates on blotting a dangerous opponent out of the game. Watch any tape of him playing either for the Swans or us.

Yes he can be an accurate kick for goal. This makes him all the more dangerous as a tagger, because it will make the opposing coach think twice about trying to drag him into our forward 50.
:lol: :lol: :lol: Good post.

I didn't really rate Geary last year, but he's looking alright now. Average game yesterday, but when he has the ball he looks good. Is comfortable taking a bounce and seems a lovely kick. Dissimilar to Jones in those respects, but Jones himself has improved a lot this year and last.

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
howlinwolf
Club Player

I'm certainly not looking for blood each week. I want THE very best team we can field come finals time.

Geary gives his best and his application to the task can't be questioned.
At the moment he is struggling a little. He has a future, so does McEvoy
but if it's a GF we want our very best artillery possible on the day.

What are other options ? If Dempster is to be play any part in the finals or
be a back up he will need senior game time soon to settle in.

Is now the time v WCE to try some other players so we know exactly what
we're looking at prior to the first final ?

Dempster for Geary this week surely wouldn't be too big a risk ?

stinger
Saintsational Legend

howlinwolf wrote:I'm certainly not looking for blood each week. I want THE very best team we can field come finals time.

Geary gives his best and his application to the task can't be questioned.
At the moment he is struggling a little. He has a future, so does McEvoy
but if it's a GF we want our very best artillery possible on the day.

What are other options ? If Dempster is to be play any part in the finals or
be a back up he will need senior game time soon to settle in.

Is now the time v WCE to try some other players so we know exactly what
we're looking at prior to the first final ?

Dempster for Geary this week surely wouldn't be too big a risk ?

dempster named as bog for sandy at the weekend.......

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Rickabee
Club Player
Location: Sydney, but grew up in Melbourne - 1st Saints match = Rnd 4 1966

Dempster might have the height and speed to be able to cover Stevie J if/when (not counting my chickens yet, but they're looking good) we meet again in the GF?

Appreciate feedback from the forum from those who have seen him up close, unlike me, who mainly sees it on TV (based in Sydney).

saintjake
Club Player

always has a dip
looks like he will become a very handy player.
application is alot greater then that of armo IMO

sabras
Club Player

armo injured??? when did this happen - i watched on sunday until half time - assume it happened afterwards - can someone fill me in please????

i thought he was brilliant!

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Great win but a few found out...

I thought Gear battled well but was playing out of his weight class and just got brushed aside.

GRAM's lack of commitment to the hard ball and defenisve pressure were also evident.

BALL battles hard but his lack of leg speed really left him and the SAINTS wanting...

The other point is that we really need another mid sized lead up marking option in our forward line...

Changes this week IN: Dempster, Lynch
Out: Geary, Ball...

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Great win but a few found out...

WinnersOnly wrote:I thought Gear battled well but was playing out of his weight class and just got brushed aside.

GRAM's lack of commitment to the hard ball and defenisve pressure were also evident.

BALL battles hard but his lack of leg speed really left him and the SAINTS wanting...

The other point is that we really need another mid sized lead up marking option in our forward line...

Yep they will drop Ball for sure. May even drop Milne as he didnt do much either. Also by dropping Ball we lose a midfeilder. That should help us in our structure.

sabras
Club Player

Re: Great win but a few found out...

WinnersOnly wrote:I thought Gear battled well but was playing out of his weight class and just got brushed aside.

Ball out????
Why don't we drop gilbert and hayes while you are at it?