Umpires were pathetic!! What was the Milne free kick for?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Shocking umpiring today, mostly against us but plenty against Geelong as well.

You would think the AFL would put their A team out there (if they have one) for the biggest match of the year so far.
No, they give it to Razor Ray and a couple of nobodies who will never see a final.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

I'm sure I saw Chapman slung and during the tackle the water-boy gave him some Powerade, the runner came and gave him gave him ideas on which direction to throw out the double-handed-Cat-flickpass - before he perfectly threw NRL style to a team mate...

Slightly exaggerated (note the spelling Loyal/OneGram ) but only slightly...

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

The 2 free kick goals in the first quarter kept the Cats in the game when the game should have been just about over at quarter time .. they both came late in the quarter and gave the Cats some momentum going into the 2nd quarter.

the cats would have and should been truly shell shocked at quarter time.

SaintDebi
Club Player

SaintDebi wrote:
We had an umpire with us today.

Just out of interest, at what level does the person umpire?

Only GFL, but interesting to have his insight today as an "unbiased" spectator as he barracks for neither Saints or Cats.
Last edited by SaintDebi on Sun 05 Jul 2009 11:32pm, edited 1 time in total.

James
Club Player

Sainter_Dad wrote:Umpire claimed Milne dragged his Geelong opponent down as he went down!
That's laughable.

Perhaps if Milne wasn't thrown to the ground it wouldn't have happened?

Brendon Goddard - 2012 Premiership Captain
battye
Saintsational Legend

SaintDebi wrote:SaintDebi wrote:

Only GFL, but interesting to have his insight today as an "unbiased" spectator as he barracks for neither Saints or Cats.
Ah okay, what did he make of the more controversial ones?
- Ablett 50m
- The Milne non-free kick (???)
- The advantage call in the last few minutes

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
St.Damo's Fire
Club Player

I just finished watching the game and we copped the rough end of the stick when it came to the advantage rule on two or three occasions too.
I agree the Geelong one late in the game was bad. They really put the whistle away in the last three minutes you could have picked up plenty.

Milney really copped the rough end of the stick. The one in the first quarter was a disgrace in so many ways....he didn't play on, he didn't take too long to warrant being called to play on and he had no prior oppotunity to dospose of the ball.....but he was ground into the ground from behind and didn't get paid a push in the back!

In the last minute of the game......it was a free to him end of story....why it was paid against him...who knows.....regardless whatever the ump said.

Something else I did notice, as good as a player Joel Selwood is the amount of flick passes allowed to pass as handballs is crazy.

We got away with the Sammy Fisher one, but the tiggy touchwood frees all went against us today.....can be so frustrating.....I was still yelling at the screen after I knew the result! :roll:

battye
Saintsational Legend

St.Damo's Fire wrote:Milney really copped the rough end of the stick. The one in the first quarter was a disgrace in so many ways....he didn't play on, he didn't take too long to warrant being called to play on and he had no prior oppotunity to dospose of the ball.....but he was ground into the ground from behind and didn't get paid a push in the back!
I thought that one was fair actually, he had a few seconds after play on was called and should have thought to look behind him. I've seen quite a few players (from all teams) get pinged in this fashion.

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

St.Damo's Fire wrote:Something else I did notice, as good as a player Joel Selwood is the amount of flick passes allowed to pass as handballs is crazy.
See above re the little throw they have perfected...
the double-handed-Cat-flickpass
Spot on

SaintDippa
Club Player

Also the one in the second when standing on the top of the square, ball coming in and Kelly takes him out over allowing fellow cat an uncontested mark. Milne gave the ump a filthy look and moved on.

Sainterman
Club Player

Re: Umpires were pathetic!! What was the Milne free kick for

plugger66 wrote:
STILLWAITING wrote:
RodKeoghsLoveChild wrote:The last few minutes when milne got penalized really just about made me explode in a rage that would have made Hoddle Street look tame!!

Just saw it again on the replay, no point trying to understand it as you will go crazy trying to work it out, it was just a real shocker of a decision
Yep looked wrong to me. I think the umpire thought he brought him down but it didnt really look like it. Made no difference though.
You are in a good mood Plugger! :)

goodie
Club Player

battye wrote:

- Ablett 50m
I'd like to add to that list the one where I think it was Fisher who took a mark but Blake apparently had his eyes on Mooney or something? Happened near the boundary, third quarter or so

My accreditation's long out of date, but I thought that was an appalling decision.

suss
Club Player

When I left the ground I thought the umpiring was diabolical but now, having watched the repaly, I think it was generally fair, save for a few howlers that went against us: the Lenny holding-the-ball decision, Milne in the last qtr and the Jones/Gablett 50 metre penalty spring to mind as examples.

I'm not so sure about the Milne play-on decision and the Varcoe free. I seemed to be okay for mine.

And Iceman and St.Damo...

I hope we make a point of the way they 'ride the tackle' and dispose of the ball illegaly. They seem to have forever to get rid of it and Selwood in particular, appear to throw the ball out of a tackle more often than he hand-passes it.

They've clearly been working on this technique and based on the number of holding the ball decisions that go against them, it seems to have paid off. Hopefully it's something that will be brought to light...

kosifantutti23
SS Hall of Fame

Milne should have had a free from the goal square in the first quarter.

The ball that Joey allowed to run too far and then handpassed back to Milne, he never took possession of the ball but was tackled and the ball forced through for a point.

So three howlers against Milne, normal day at the office for him.

Furtius Quo Rdelious
SaintDebi
Club Player

battye wrote:

- Ablett 50m
Sorry, with the excitement of the game I don't really remember all the specific calls and comments.
I do know he said he would have given Milney that free, and that he thought there was clearly no advantage to Geelong in the last few minutes, but thought that was cancelled out by an earlier call of advantage to us that clearly wasn't there either.
His biggest complaint about the umpiring though was the inconsistency. He felt that it might have been a day where the umps were trying to let the game flow and play out on its own, but that all umpires have to be on the same page for that to work, and perhaps they weren't yesterday.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

SaintDebi wrote:[.
His biggest complaint about the umpiring though was the inconsistency. He felt that it might have been a day where the umps were trying to let the game flow and play out on its own, but that all umpires have to be on the same page for that to work, and perhaps they weren't yesterday.
interesting
thanks SaintDebi

thats the prob huh...consistency.
its like some wanted the game to flow and just tried to let it go as much as possible and some wanted a close contest.
the rules are really just interpretations and opinions by three men with whistles.

terry smith rules
SS Life Member

battye wrote:
St.Damo's Fire wrote:Milney really copped the rough end of the stick. The one in the first quarter was a disgrace in so many ways....he didn't play on, he didn't take too long to warrant being called to play on and he had no prior oppotunity to dospose of the ball.....but he was ground into the ground from behind and didn't get paid a push in the back!
I thought that one was fair actually, he had a few seconds after play on was called and should have thought to look behind him. I've seen quite a few players (from all teams) get pinged in this fashion.
Yes the play on call is fair enough, but you can't have a player just standing a metre off him come in and tackle him. Selwood (I think) was standing 1 metre behind Milne.

There has to be the 5 metre rule, otherwise you will have an opposition player standing next to every mark or free waiting to pounce at the play on call.

Grimfang
Club Player

goodie wrote: I'd like to add to that list the one where I think it was Fisher who took a mark but Blake apparently had his eyes on Mooney or something? Happened near the boundary, third quarter or so

My accreditation's long out of date, but I thought that was an appalling decision.
The umpire called Blake as shepherding Hawkins out of the contest. Laughable, as Blake was making position, backing back right to where the ball was going to fall and the replay clearly showed he had eyes only for the ball. If that's a free then Roo and Kosi should have had a number of extra shots for goal.

Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons; for you are a quick and tasty morsel.