best game ever?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintjake
Club Player

best game ever?

the pressure was first class.
the heroic acts.
the gut running
the heart in the mouth stuff.
oh god.
amazing

battye
Saintsational Legend

It felt so similar to the St Kilda vs Brisbane game of 2004. Maybe someone that was at the ground could measure the difference in atmosphere?

On TV, looked amazing. What a great game, I bet the American footballers would have been impressed. Not a bad first game of AFL to see :wink:

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
saintDal
Club Player

It will go down as one of the best. It had just about everything. The only thing that made it disappointing was the umpires.

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

battye wrote:It felt so similar to the St Kilda vs Brisbane game of 2004. Maybe someone that was at the ground could measure the difference in atmosphere?

On TV, looked amazing. What a great game, I bet the American footballers would have been impressed. Not a bad first game of AFL to see :wink:
And it will look even better at 730 tonight on foxtel

whats that about american footballers?

battye
Saintsational Legend

Channel 7 interviewed a few NFL players who came to watch their first AFL match.

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

battye wrote:Channel 7 interviewed a few NFL players who came to watch their first AFL match.
well they could not have seen anything better than that

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

I must say, in 48 years watching the Saints, I have only seen one better, from a St Kilda perspective anyway and few better games from any perspective. This was better than the 2004 game because the opposition was better. Despite what morons everywhere will say, Geelong could not and have not played better than that in this or last season. Their problem was that they met a side with slightly greater determination. Is there anyone in the AFL with more of that quality that Lenny Hayes? Perhaps Michael Gardiner today matched him and about twenty others were close behind including about 10 Cats players.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

battye wrote:It felt so similar to the St Kilda vs Brisbane game of 2004. Maybe someone that was at the ground could measure the difference in atmosphere?
yep, felt very similar.

the brissie game had better atmosphere for the saints, because it was more one-sided. this one was pretty close though. gardy's mark very similar to schwarta's goal.

golden hawk
Club Player

well done SAINTERS i so wanted you guys to win !
great game to watch too for a little while thought it would be a draw , glad it was not !
way better watching then that thing that i was at last night :cry: :cry:

your friendly neighbourhood hawk
nathan000
Club Player

perfectionist wrote:I must say, in 48 years watching the Saints, I have only seen one better, from a St Kilda perspective anyway and few better games from any perspective. This was better than the 2004 game because the opposition was better. Despite what morons everywhere will say, Geelong could not and have not played better than that in this or last season. Their problem was that they met a side with slightly greater determination. Is there anyone in the AFL with more of that quality that Lenny Hayes? Perhaps Michael Gardiner today matched him and about twenty others were close behind including about 10 Cats players.
Don't undersell Riewoldt, was throwing his body around everywhere today.

Owen
Club Player

I think thats the highest quality game I have ever seen the Saints play - it outdoes 2004 as I think Brisbane were on the start of a bit of a slide from the top, whereas the Cats are still up there ..

Worthy of a GF in quality & atmosphere - I hope September isnt a letdown ..

Well done saints - had we won or lost that at the end you made me a believe now regardless !

Jimmy1972
Club Player

F :) ck E' :P All!!!

No1_Saint
Club Player

Was a great game from start to finish. Was really impressed by all of the boys efforts....and admittedly the Cats efforts as well. Thank god we beat them.

Bring on the Weagles.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

An absolute game for the ages..best H&A game of the season by a street

The perfect blend of attack and incredible pressure..great skills on both sides and the scores level with 80 secs to go.

I wasnt there but Id reckon the Adelaide final in 05 would do it ...for sheer importance..if nothing else..but today was the best game of footy Ive been to for bloody ages. The Pies final last year was great for the result, , but today was a far higher standard contest

Strap yourselves in Saints fans.....we can go all the way this year, make ABSOLUTELY no mistake about that

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
4ever_saint
Club Player

I was at both the 2004 Brisbane game and today's game and, honestly, this game was the most atmospheric, intense, electric game of H&A football I have ever been to. Maybe I wouldn't have appreciated it as much if we lost, but it was incredble.

It was almost superior to being at a final, if only because the lid being closed on the Dome just intensified the noise and cheer from both teams of supporters. In my opinion, the crowd was heavily weighted in our favour and it really showed...our noise level was exceptional and the greatest for this season (if not for the last few seasons).

The chant while Harry Taylor was being stretchered off was INCREDIBLE and the roar at the end of the game was enough to make anyones ears bleed. Watching the game on TV I don't think the atmosphere translates to the extent that it was being at the game, but I guess due to the audio on the televast being divided 50/50 between commentary and game atmos that was to be expected.

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Great game despite the thumpires worst efforts to keep the cats in the game and their hopes alive.

We were easily a 4 - 6 goal better side.

felixleo
Club Player

Magnificent game but the 89 GF still the best i have seen during my lifetime.

Are you gonna be the one?