Still no goose

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Why Everton?

How on earth could this week - of all weeks - be the right time to make emotion-based inclusion when there was no sensible strategic reason to do so?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:
Leo.J wrote:The Goose is 25, he potentially has 5 years to play. He not getting a game atm but a week is a long time in footy.

This time last year people on here were writing obituaries about Michael Gardiner... :roll:
Great post.

Give the Goose a go - this was the week to do it. Disappointing we didn't. I'd like to see him play at least five senior matches before the season is out.
How was this the week. Can you give me your match ups with Goose in the side?

robbo_25
Club Player

Ill be great to see him back.
What more does he need to do to stake his claims for a senior spot!

robbo
St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:Why Everton?

How on earth could this week - of all weeks - be the right time to make emotion-based inclusion when there was no sensible strategic reason to do so?
agreed....

and he wants goose to play at least 5 games this season....

at the expense of just who????

next week is round 15 so that leaves a very small window for Everton's wishes....

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
Legendary
Club Player

Why play a bloke for 5 random games when he isn't even in the best 25 players at the club? (Based on performances this year).

We aren't down the bottom and picking blokes to "give them a go".

The Saints are in a very unique position to challenge seriously for a premiership, and it's about picking a 22 each week who can deliver on that.

IMO Maguire is not able to be part of that, as he is not playing good enough football in the VFL, and there is no position in the side.

It's not about the emotion, it's about the facts of the team and it's structure, and what the best way we can win a footy match is.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

robbo_25 wrote:Ill be great to see him back.
What more does he need to do to stake his claims for a senior spot!

Ummmm...

Play well? :roll:

chook23
Saintsational Legend

many still picture the 2004-5 version of Goose

Will be lucky to play many more AFL games IMO

has the turning circle of the QE2

has plenty of grunt at VFL level but leg speed and agility impacted further to the negative through horrific injuries

a great work horse but would labour at AFL level.....

match committee 0ver 14 weeks have considered him not yet up to speed

Will he ever be at the highest level

will power wants to but can the body do what is required

After today...highlighted the last sentence again.

real shame but can and has happened to a many players as a result of a series of serious injury

saint4life
PJ
SS Life Member

Ill be great to see him back.
You might be great to see him back (whatever that means) but Matt Maguire is not currently part of the structure, he's waiting for someone like Blake or Dawson to either get injured or lose form and even then he may not get picked. Whether Matt Maguire has a future or not at St.Kilda is not a question that is on the radar, it's about putting our best TEAM on the park - Matt ain't in the picture at present.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

If Goose continues to play like he did at Sandy today, he won't be playing with the Saints anytime soon.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
maverick
Saintsational Legend

I am not a Goose fan, and only saw around half the game today, but I thought Goose went OK, especially given the garbage Sandy served up defensively through the middle.

He was assertive, read the play well, adequate disposal and looked fit enough. The way he plays his footy, he will never star down there, nor get many if any best ons....

Agree there is no spot for him currently, and Max going out does not open one up IMO, but he is certainly in calculations, both down back or up forward if an injury or suspension comes....

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Leo.J wrote:The Goose is 25, he potentially has 5 years to play. He not getting a game atm but a week is a long time in footy.

This time last year people on here were writing obituaries about Michael Gardiner... :roll:
And Warren Tredrea, and they're much older than Goose, as is Nathan Brown, who someone else made mention of.

To those that say Goose isn't doing well enough in the VFL to warrant a game in the AFL, would you say Raph was doing any better? At least Goose was kicking bags of goals and getting named BOG. Raph has been hopelessly out of form and down on confidence this year, yet has been picked this week.
After seeing Goose play yesterday, I wouldn't say he looked any slower at all than Jason Blake, who is just too slow to being playing on a flank in 2009 AFL footy. And I'd pick Goose at CHB ahead of him any day of the week, I reckon.
I'd have been happy to see Goose lining up on Mooney, or Hawkins this week, to free up either Gilbert or Fisher to be more attacking. As I said previously, I expect he'd really lift if playing in the seniors. Ross seems to be getting angry at the mere mention of his name, now, though, so that's not going to help his chances of getting picked.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:

And Warren Tredrea, and they're much older than Goose, as is Nathan Brown, who someone else made mention of.

To those that say Goose isn't doing well enough in the VFL to warrant a game in the AFL, would you say Raph was doing any better? At least Goose was kicking bags of goals and getting named BOG. Raph has been hopelessly out of form and down on confidence this year, yet has been picked this week.
After seeing Goose play yesterday, I wouldn't say he looked any slower at all than Jason Blake, who is just too slow to being playing on a flank in 2009 AFL footy. And I'd pick Goose at CHB ahead of him any day of the week, I reckon.
I'd have been happy to see Goose lining up on Mooney, or Hawkins this week, to free up either Gilbert or Fisher to be more attacking. As I said previously, I expect he'd really lift if playing in the seniors. Ross seems to be getting angry at the mere mention of his name, now, though, so that's not going to help his chances of getting picked.
Why would he lift if playing seniors? You would think he is playing the best he can now so he can get a game in the seniors. If he isnt then you have your answer why he isnt in the seniors. By the way why are you comparing Raph and Goose form in the seconds. it doesnt matter who is going better out of those two because they are totally different players.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

browns gone....shadow of his former self/player.

tredrea....had knee surgery, not like it was a career ending clean out of the knee was it...blimey ya walking after a day