Final team in R Clarke

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Re: Will cost us the game....

WinnersOnly wrote:
saint75 wrote:These types of comments really P$#SS me off! Not only do I hope that Raph plays the game of his life, I hope you have the balls to apologise for your comments if he does play a brilliant game.

Ross has selected this player and I trust that he knows a little more than what you or I do. Give the guy a break (yes, I know his games were doubtful earlier this year) and try to get behind him instead of kicking the boots in before he has even had a chance to play on the weekend. Judge him after his performance, not before the game has even begun.
I used to be a supporter of Raph - but he has been given plenty of opportunities in the past and failed it is time to give another player a chance. I think Ross is stuck in the Sydney mold and feels he has to consistently play older bodies.

To me his selection is a completely defensive act of attempting save the game rather than trying to win it!

What concerns me is Raph is very slow for the first 5 - 10 metres and no matter who the match him against in the Geelong forwards will chop him up.

The only possible reason Raph is playing is to release Goddard to play HFF for the majority. If Goddard kicks 5 it will be a good selection because Raph will cost us at least 2...
People have suggested we will play a more defensively minded game this week, because we don't want to play our whole hand yet and save something for September? Personally, I just want us to go out and play the brand we have been playing all year....

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: Will cost us the game....

WinnersOnly wrote:The only possible reason Raph is playing is to release Goddard to play HFF for the majority. If Goddard kicks 5 it will be a good selection because Raph will cost us at least 2
raph might play HFF for the majority. imo a more creative player than gwilt and more likely to impact on the scoreboard. gwilt would have been the "safe" selection.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Probably not a bad idea to play him against Geelong "this time"...see if he earns a spot for "Next Time".

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Some of the posters on this and similar threads should be ashamed of themselves.
Raph proved in last years Final series that he is a big occasion player. Following on after the finals, he played for the Allstars, then round 1 when he was injured, and was one of our best players until injured. Then he returned from injury, had 2 or 3 games, probably came back into the team too early, form was not up to it, and was dropped. But there is no way he deserves the crap that is shoved on him bby the dim wits on this forum. I wonder if it is not the fact he is the only indigenous player we have used this year! I cant think of any other explanation.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:Some of the posters on this and similar threads should be ashamed of themselves.
Raph proved in last years Final series that he is a big occasion player. Following on after the finals, he played for the Allstars, then round 1 when he was injured, and was one of our best players until injured. Then he returned from injury, had 2 or 3 games, probably came back into the team too early, form was not up to it, and was dropped. But there is no way he deserves the crap that is shoved on him bby the dim wits on this forum. I wonder if it is not the fact he is the only indigenous player we have used this year! I cant think of any other explanation.
:shock: Gee your post went downhill there.

Any other explanations?, there are plenty but I hope the kid goes ok, otherwise there are some waiting in the wings for promotion.

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:Some of the posters on this and similar threads should be ashamed of themselves.
"dim wits"..... Ask any other football follower about Raph who don't barrack for the saints and see what sort of response you get. It seems the "dim wits" perception of Raph is not of the fanfare that many prescribe too on here. Ask Geelong supporters what they think of Raph coming back into the side...
We've been more than patient. Now that he has been given yet another chance in the side I hope he plays a good game, I won't hold my breath,but I'd be thrilled to be wrong.

As for the indigenous call...keeping with the 'Good call,bad call' thread....
Laughable call...Pathetic call!
Sick of people playing the racism card whenever someone with dark skin is criticised. Never realised Blake,Gram,Milne,McQualter were black also?

Bring back the Lockett era
claystreet
Club Player

borderbarry wrote:I wonder if it is not the fact he is the only indigenous player we have used this year! I cant think of any other explanation.
Absolute rubbish :roll:

SaintWodonga
Club Player

Raph has not done anything this year to indicate a return to the team. He did well in the finals last year, but that was such a long time ago in terms of what has happened this year.

I reckon Goose is very stiff & deserves a chance.

Maybe the fact raph has got a yard of extra pace has an advantage over Goose..

Time will tell...

Tony Lockett kicks 10 goals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v4ZQJHjlvM
saint75
SS Hall of Fame

He is in the team, so the speculation on who should have been picked is mute now. Why don't we all get behind him tomorrow and give the guy some confidence. Why not start a Raph chant to get him going and let him know that we are behind him instead of sniping at him before he has had a chance to play!!!!

Make no mistake, both GT and Ross Lyon saw something in this player to keep him around. You don't keep someone on your list if they are useless or play no role for the team. Lets have some faith. He was one of the few that played well against Geelong last year when we were beaten in the finals.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

saint75 wrote:He is in the team, so the speculation on who should have been picked is mute now. Why don't we all get behind him tomorrow and give the guy some confidence. Why not start a Raph chant to get him going and let him know that we are behind him instead of sniping at him before he has had a chance to play!!!!

Make no mistake, both GT and Ross Lyon saw something in this player to keep him around. You don't keep someone on your list if they are useless or play no role for the team. Lets have some faith. He was one of the few that played well against Geelong last year when we were beaten in the finals.
Raph has to get behind us and give us some confidence.

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

The Fireman wrote:
saint75 wrote:He is in the team, so the speculation on who should have been picked is mute now. Why don't we all get behind him tomorrow and give the guy some confidence. Why not start a Raph chant to get him going and let him know that we are behind him instead of sniping at him before he has had a chance to play!!!!

Raph has to get behind us and give us some confidence.
Your missing the point. The COACH has shown confidence in him. Get behind Raph tomorrow instead of sniping at him. Don't get me wrong, I have concerns in regards to his form to date, but I will be behind him 100% tomorrow and hope he has a blinder.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

saint75 wrote:
Your missing the point. The COACH has shown confidence in him. Get behind Raph tomorrow instead of sniping at him. Don't get me wrong, I have concerns in regards to his form to date, but I will be behind him 100% tomorrow and hope he has a blinder.
I'm not missing the point mate.
Only Raph can prove his worth, I hope he has a blinder but past history leans against that. Ross may be trying him out against the Cats to see how he matches up this time.
As I said I hope he goes well but would rather see Gwilt or Goose in his place.
If he proves me wrong I will revisit this post to happily apologise
Cheers

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

The Fireman wrote:
saint75 wrote:
I'm not missing the point mate.
Only Raph can prove his worth, I hope he has a blinder but past history leans against that. Ross may be trying him out against the Cats to see how he matches up this time.
As I said I hope he goes well but would rather see Gwilt or Goose in his place.
If he proves me wrong I will revisit this post to happily apologise
Cheers
I hope on Sunday night there is an apology, I really do. I am predicting Raph to play the game of his life *fingers crossed*

Trust Ross. He has 13-0. His judgement has been pretty spot on so far.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

haha Id be the FIRST to apologise and put my hand up in shame!! Honestly!

Cant see Im going to need to though unfortunately.

Sainterone
Club Player

Ross is not silly.

"Recking Ball" Raph is in for a reason ..... :twisted:

Raph may miss a few games after this one .... :lol:

... but he'll be back for the finals (to smash the pussies again)

GO SAINTS

NICK RIEWOLDT - 444 GOALS FROM 200 MATCHES
STEPHEN MILNE - 440 GOALS FROM 216 MATCHES
CeilidhSaint
Club Player

The Raphalution may have a bad or a good game - in some ways it doesn't matter.
What matters is that R. Lyon and his srlection committee really hasn't not put a foot wrong this year and for that reason alone Raph's selection is right.

TB 1 - The Brightest Light on the Darkest Night - we miss you.
Think Globally, Act Sainterly
I have Phil Narkle's helmet
Schillaci
Club Player

Raph proved in last years Final series that he is a big occasion player. Following on after the finals, he played for the Allstars, then round 1 when he was injured, and was one of our best players until injured. Then he returned from injury, had 2 or 3 games, probably came back into the team too early, form was not up to it, and was dropped. But there is no way he deserves the crap that is shoved on him bby the dim wits on this forum..
I share these sentiments...I haven't read this whole thread just started on this last page cause I knew there would be a fair amount of Raph Bashers.
I'm glad he's back in. He is a gun. Last years finals showed his class.
He needs a string of games under his belt to adjust to the tempo of the AFL and get some confidence. He is in our best 22. He has made some clangers and cost us goals. Geelong may expose him but we are 13 zip and a loss to Geelong at his hands won't change my thinking either. Give him time. Give him games and smile when his dash and play making comes to the fore when the finals come again.
I'm a Raph fan.

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

S.A Saint wrote:
.....if we do lose on sunday (which I think we will belt the cats by about 6 goals)......

I guarantee that the blame will be on either of these player Ralph, Blake, Mini, Baker and maybe even Geary for the loss even though they done their role...
Yep lock it in, plus McEvoy, Gram for his disposal, and maybe Milne :shock:

No Contract, No contact :shock:
MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

borderbarry wrote:Some of the posters on this and similar threads should be ashamed of themselves.........

...... I wonder if it is not the fact he is the only indigenous player we have used this year! I cant think of any other explanation.
Why play the race card on posters if you disagree ? You're always on about indegenous players here and on BF, but you really lost it by going down that road :shock:

Last edited by MCG-Unit on Sat 04 Jul 2009 6:08pm, edited 2 times in total.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

MCG-Unit wrote:No thumbs down emoticon available
here ya go

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

matrixcutter wrote:
here ya go
Thanks, you're a genius 8-)

Post now edited :shock:

Moods
Saintsational Legend

SaintWodonga wrote:Raph has not done anything this year to indicate a return to the team. He did well in the finals last year, but that was such a long time ago in terms of what has happened this year.

I reckon Goose is very stiff & deserves a chance.

Maybe the fact raph has got a yard of extra pace has an advantage over Goose..

Time will tell...
What's with the goose obsession? I know he's been injured, but if anyone saw the game today on TV re Sandy v Port, Raph couldn't possibly do any worse than goose. His skills are awful. He's great when he gets to attack the ball in a straight line, but he simply can't change direction. He was struggling with this BEFORE he got injured, which GT had alluded to. Now he's even worse.

How about we crucify Raph AFTER the event if he warrants it? Watching today's game, I didn't think anyone from our list looked like they deserved a spot ahead of Raph. If Rossy wanted a running back, then Raph is the obvious choice. Goose certainly isn't (in my opinion :wink: )

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

matrixcutter wrote:
here ya go
You never cease to amaze matrix...

:wink:

matrix
Saintsational Legend

:P

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

The thing that Raph Clarke has over Gwilt and a few others mantioned is that he can play tall and small, he can play in defense or on a wing, and he reads the game well, gets into good position, and has evasive skills.

In a nutshell, he gives us flexibility.

Gwilt has been better than he has in previous years, but doesn't read the game well enough and is afraid to take risks

Goose can't play purely because of team balance

Steven is untried ay senior level, and we have enough coverage in the midfield

Dempster is just being given time to build up his fitness and form

Armitage still won't run hard and far enough, and he won't play until he can consistently do so. Also, he is unnecessary given our midfield is at capacity

So the selection of Raph Clarke is logical and justifiable, and I hope he plays well, for his sake, not mine.