Joel Selwood on Jarryn Geary

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

thirty-seven!?
Club Player

Joel Selwood on Jarryn Geary

Article in the Herald Sun, interviewing Selwood about Gears.

Interesting read...

JOEL Selwood was instinctively taken aback by the presumption that a football match could possibly cause a temporary stand-off with one of his best mates.
Try dissuading Geelong's gun midfielder and his St Kilda counterpart Jarryn Geary from punching each other's numbers in their mobile phones this week.

After all, it's a regular catch-up for a couple of close friends who saw no reason to change routine simply because both will run into each other in front of 50,000 fans at Etihad Stadium tomorrow.

"We speak probably once a week, once every two weeks just to see how each other is going," Selwood said.

"We don't really talk that much footy, to be honest. We usually just talk about what's going on."

The pair forged a bond through their single-minded dedication that started as teammates in the under-15s at Bendigo's Catholic College.

Geary, who grew up in Eaglehawk on the outskirts of town, often stayed overnight at the Selwood house, where there was room to spare with twins Adam and Troy already bedding down AFL careers in Perth and Brisbane.

It was a convenient sleepover, particularly when the pair were teammates with Bendigo Pioneers in the TAC Cup under-18 competition.

"We would be running around together most weekends. He usually stayed at my house and we spent most weekends at the footy, whether it was the Pioneers or whatever," Selwood said.

Big-city life for Geary was not the smooth, natural progression of his Bendigo pal.

Selwood slipped straight into Geelong's powerful team after being pick No. 7 in the 2006 national draft, but Geary was overlooked and had to claw his way from No. 58 in the rookie draft.

Not only was Selwood draped with a premiership medal at the end of his debut season, he had been anointed the AFL's Rising Star and stamped for greatness.

But Geary battled on, and his persistence paid off when he played 10 games last year to justify elevation to the Saints' senior list for 2009. Like Selwood, he has been a permanent fixture in his team's unbeaten run this season.

"Jarryn has come a long way. He has had to work really hard to get where he is and it's paying off at the moment," Selwood said.

"He has always been a good runner even when he was a kid. He was good at athletics at school and in Little Athletics. He was always gutsy. It's a replica of his AFL career to date.

"I'm really proud of him and looking forward to actually playing against him. It has been a long time since I've played against him. But, yeah, we'll catch up after the game."

In sharp contrast to Geelong embracing big-game billing, St Kilda would not allow Geary to talk about his long-time mate.

But Geary did not try to hide his gratitude for Selwood's support after the Saint earned the Rising Star nomination from St Kilda's Round 8 win against Essendon.

Geary said one of the first congratulatory phone calls came from the fellow Bendigo boy with an awareness of the significance of being a nominee.

"I grew up with Joel. We played a lot of footy together and obviously it's good to see him doing well. He's a quality player, so I've learnt a bit off him," Geary said.

"He rang me today, so it was good to hear from him. He's always looking out for me and giving me a few tips.

"I've always known he was going to be jumping out from the very start. I knew early in his junior career that he was pretty special. It has driven me more than anything."

Bendigo Pioneers regional manager Ray Byrne knows a thing or two about football talent after playing with and against the best in 219 games with Carlton, Collingwood and Geelong in the 1970s and 1980s.

"Ability-wise, Joel was streets ahead of everyone. Even at an early age, he was a standout," Byrne said this week.

"Jarryn is a standout in other areas, like his work ethic. He just never stopped working to improve himself. To come off the rookie list into a top side and be playing good footy with them is a fantastic effort.

"A lot of the old judges up here going back to when I played juniors believed the best junior to come out of Bendigo was Rod Ashman. But they were saying four or five years ago Joel was better than Ashy at the same age.

"Joel and Jarryn were just great workers. Jarryn's skills were above average, he just worked on them to get better and better for league footy. And I'd never seen a kid prepare in the TAC Cup like Joel. He has a fantastic football brain, he could sort it out within 10 minutes of a game who should be where and what."

It's no surprise Selwood and Geary remain grounded. Both grew up in big families where sibling rivalry regularly put them in their place.

Pioneers coach Mark Ellis recalled two skilled young mates who pushed each other in pursuit of the same dream.

"At that level of competition, guys who really want to work hard and develop tend to attract to one another. They were pretty professional, even at that age, and they knew what they wanted to do and wanted to achieve," Ellis said.

"They probably worked together a lot and it was terrific to see one was helping the other. They always wanted feedback on how they were going and what they were doing.

"They were very driven. But it was pretty evident they were never going to get ahead of themselves.

"Obviously, coming from families that kept them pretty level-headed, even now you still see them and they've always got time. It (AFL) hasn't changed either of them in any way.

"Certainly, they were very competitive. We had a camp one year and they were on opposite teams and there was a fair bit of banter about who was going to win and who was going to get the upper hand."

They might continue that conversation when they pick up the phone today.

StSteven
Club Player

Hey none of these articles portraying the opposition as decent human beings. Wont go down well at all here.

On the Couch had Harry Taylor on last week and it ruined my night. The kid is one of the most decent and gutsy footballers I have ever heard. Can't be true though if he plays for that mob!!!!!!

Honestly though.......great article.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

StSteven wrote:Hey none of these articles portraying the opposition as decent human beings. Wont go down well at all here.

On the Couch had Harry Taylor on last week and it ruined my night. The kid is one of the most decent and gutsy footballers I have ever heard. Can't be true though if he plays for that mob!!!!!!

Harry O'Brien? Was a good interview, is a great kid, shame he plays for Collingwood....

Jarryn is a great part of our future, came back on fire after the break. Interesting to see first year players like Beams from Collingwood get a rest every couple of weeks and come back to show some good form, similar to Roe from Adelaide getting a break this week which would seem undeserved. I think it's a wise move, clubs are realising it benefits all concerned to keep young players fresh and up in confidence...

Thoughts?

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

ohwhenthesaints! wrote:
StSteven wrote:Hey none of these articles portraying the opposition as decent human beings. Wont go down well at all here.

Harry O'Brien? Was a good interview, is a great kid, shame he plays for Collingwood....

Jarryn is a great part of our future, came back on fire after the break. Interesting to see first year players like Beams from Collingwood get a rest every couple of weeks and come back to show some good form, similar to Roe from Adelaide getting a break this week which would seem undeserved. I think it's a wise move, clubs are realising it benefits all concerned to keep young players fresh and up in confidence...

Thoughts?
I think you're thinking Walker from Adelaide?
Roe is from Brisbane and he has a few seasons under his belt now.

But it is a good point you make, dropping a first or second year player would probably do them more good than allowing them to struggle on in the seniors...

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
PJ
SS Life Member

Thoughts?
I think if the kids are 18 and their 1st year in the system it's smart management. Jarryn's been here a bit longer though so he should be building in endurance and core body strength. I thought even some of the old timers looked to have freshened up a bit.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Armoooo wrote:
ohwhenthesaints! wrote:

Thoughts?

But it is a good point you make, dropping a first or second year player would probably do them more good than allowing them to struggle on in the seniors...
Yes I am thinking Walker from Adelaide, thanks!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

ohwhenthesaints! wrote:
Armoooo wrote:
ohwhenthesaints! wrote:

Thoughts?

Must say I thought that was quite amusing after you had a go at another poster for getting his name and club wrong but hey we have all done it well some anyway.

thirty-seven!?
Club Player

I am excited to see how Jarryn goes against a mob like Geelong - much bigger, harder bodies that wont erk a contest... Will be interesting to see who he lines up on!

I think this isnt just a big game for the team, but also individuals - as a player, you wouldnt want to have a shocker against Geelong, as this game out of all played would question your ability come September... will be interesting to see if this is the case!!

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

ohwhenthesaints! wrote:

Thoughts?
No I think they mean Harry Taylor from Geelong - spoke of giving to the community. Only listened with half an ear but he did seem like a very grounded and well spoken young man.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
Moods
Saintsational Legend

AS much as I love what Rossy Lyon has done for our club, I can't stand this micro managing of our players. Why can't Geary speak briefly with the media about his mate Selwood? Will the boogy man come and spook the team before the game if he does?

The club was already made to look ridiculous trying to hide our recovery session earlier in the week.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
ohwhenthesaints! wrote:
Armoooo wrote:
ohwhenthesaints! wrote:

Thoughts?

Must say I thought that was quite amusing after you had a go at another poster for getting his name and club wrong but hey we have all done it well some anyway.
Serves me right huh :lol:

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

How can individuals all watch the same interview and then collectively come on here , and essentially debate who was being interviewed..

It's hilarious....and i still don't know who the interviewed person was..

:lol:

Will we pick up a player in the SSP window :?:
Foz
Club Player

Geary was used on some big names last week - Delidio and the sniper, Cotchin.

I'd expect him to have a big role again on Sunday across HBF. The defensive pressure from HB to HF as a zone is going to be the most critical part of the game.

Dal and Eljay Connors also from Bendigo - Dal mates with the older Selwoods - good article IMO.

saint-stu
Club Player

AS much as I love what Rossy Lyon has done for our club, I can't stand this micro managing of our players. Why can't Geary speak briefly with the media about his mate Selwood? Will the boogy man come and spook the team before the game if he does?

The club was already made to look ridiculous trying to hide our recovery session earlier in the week.
Says who? The media will say that because they want their story.

I get the impression Rossy is big on the mental side of things.

He doesn't want the players to get distracted, but rather focus on the job they need to do.

A few examples:
- Focusing on effort and KPIs rather than results.
- Not allowing anyone into the rooms at half time. He will speak to the media but the players are not allowed to.
- Closed training sessions.
- Not buying into the hype of what is just another home and away game.
- Not buying into the rivalry.

He hasn't steered us wrong so far.

fingers
Saintsational Legend

harry impressed me no end. Pity the colours he wears but loved his attitude and approach to the game and life. Very wise for a young man.

StSteven
Club Player

Blush...blush....alzeimers again. Harry O'Brien

(Have Taylor on the brain because of all articles about him beating Roo)!

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

fingers wrote:

harry impressed me no end. Pity the colours he wears but loved his attitude and approach to the game and life. Very wise for a young man.
Except of course when he said 'no, we don't play the boundary lines, it's just the media that says we do' only to be shown stats that proved him irrefutably wrong.

I found that extremely amusing. Oh so Collingwood...

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

fingers wrote:

great article in today's Age by Harry about his Younger sister and father
http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/rfnews ... ntentSwap2

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

another part of the interview not included in that report.
Selwood, who idolised outstanding St Kilda midfielder Luke Ball as a junior and could man him tomorrow, mirrored the views of Shaw when discussing tomorrow's historic match during the under-18 national championship at Etihad Stadium on Wednesday. He believes the challenge will see Geelong produce its best football this season.

"I think both sides will be out there to definitely win it, to get a little bit of putting their chests out about themselves," Selwood said.

"We have found the media ... and the personnel around Geelong are really looking forward to this game and you can see why. Thirteen and zip both sides.

"When you are known as the best side in the league, sides will always come as hard as they can at you. We haven't handled that quite as well as we have in the past at times, but it is one of those challenges again where we can try to take on St Kilda, who we think are playing the best football in the league at the moment."

With respect to Selwood, the accuracy of that statement will be known only when the final siren goes soon before 6pm tomorrow.
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/st ... 32,00.html

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107