who will CJ tag

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:He will tag Selwood one would think.
I reckon you're spot on....

CJ on Selwood for me as well

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
bozza1980
Club Player

Surely he'll go to Ablett

spert
Saintsational Legend

The best player for an SJ type of forward, is a close playing, body attack type of player, so either CJ or Baker.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Steve Johnson at 190cm playing out of the Goal Square and pushing high playing on Steve Baker 179cm (on his tip toes)......not sure.

mightysainters
SS Hall of Fame

Gilbert to Stevie or Chappy

CJ to Jimmy

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I would have thought CJ would get Selwood

CJ tends to tag the players a class below the superstars generally. U can't tag the super elite IMO

better to reduce Selwood to 15 possies then reduce Ablett to only 27-28

Interesting on Footy Classified, GT suggested that Goddard go head to head with Ablett, and force him to be accountable

fonz_#15
SS Life Member

skeptic wrote:I would have thought CJ would get Selwood

CJ tends to tag the players a class below the superstars generally. U can't tag the super elite IMO

Interesting on Footy Classified, GT suggested that Goddard go head to head with Ablett, and force him to be accountable
i'd like to see Lenny stand next to Ablett at the bounces tbh and see if Lenny can win his own bal which forces ablett to be accountable

Robert Harvey- Simply the best
Griggsy
SS Life Member

S.A Saint wrote:
i believe that we should not target roo or kosi as often as we have done this season in the first quarter or so... maybe go for milne and scheider and who ever our other 3 option is.... the reason i say this is to see if we can throw the geelong defence of thier game a bit since they have a few small defenders out...face it if we bomb it long to either roo or kosi they will have players going 2nd and 3rd man up like they always do...

in saying this if they are on a lead honor it just not try and bomb it to them as we have done recently...
if the 3rd man up fists it for a throw in, I am liking the Gardiner tap downs to our smalls recently. If that gets going would be great.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

CJ often gets outside mids. Hasleby and Murphy are obvious exceptions. I think he might take someone like Bartel with either Gram or Joey taking Ablett. CJ could wind up on Selwood though. I doubt we'd go Hayes or BJ head to head with Ablett. Hayes' opponents have had huge games nearly every week this year. Usually they're inside guys who don't worry us too much with the ball (Tuck, Watson, etc). BJ could wind up playing anywhere on the field.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

fonz_#15 wrote:
skeptic wrote:I would have thought CJ would get Selwood

i'd like to see Lenny stand next to Ablett at the bounces tbh and see if Lenny can win his own bal which forces ablett to be accountable
IMO, Ablett is one of the few mids in the competition who can't be challenged by just about anyone in this manner.

Put whoever you like head to head with him, if somebody is specifically curtailing him, Ablett will probably win more ball and do more damage than his opponent. He also tackles like a maniac, and certainly doesn't mind going deep at either end, so he's not easy to drag out of the contest, and he knows that wherever he goes he can't be left alone, so he's not easy to expose this way.

I like the CJ-Ablett matchup. CJ's actually pretty good in the clearance situations. He's willing to get the hardball, good by hand if questionable by foot, and if he's not going to win it, he'll do everything necessary to minimise the Ablett damage.

Taking this approach against Carlton, I had to wonder whether they moved Murphy to the wing at centre bounces to get CJ off the ball. He was killing them.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
aussiejones
Club Player

" believe that we should not target roo or kosi as often as we have done this season in the first quarter or so... maybe go for milne and scheider and who ever our other 3 option is.... the reason i say this is to see if we can throw the geelong defence of thier game a bit since they have a few small defenders "

Milne is due for a big one and Scnieder is in great touch
Also I like the way Kosi gets straight out in front of goals and kicks the leather off the ball. Roo leads to the pocket

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Winmarvellous wrote:I'd like to see Ball go head-to-head with Selwood and CJ to Ablett. Hayes and Bartel to go head-to-head and let Ling take Dal.
Agree pretty much completely with that

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
Sobraz
SS Life Member

I recon Gram will go to Ablett... or BJ....

CJ to Selwood...

Chips to Johnson.... Johnson destoyed Gilbo last year, and Chips is our best defender... He went to J. Brown, he'll go to Johnson also..

Ling may go to Joey this time around, as he has been in astonishing form, and has been our no.1 tagged this year... Last week he got Jackson, who on this years form, is one of the best stoppers around, along with CJ...

If this is the case, Dal needs to tear them up and really push hard into the forward 50 with entries....