Defences win Premierships???

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Defences win Premierships???

After 13 games we have an against of 764. the next best is Geelong with 1008 - nearly 19 points a game worse than the Saints.

This is incredibly good. We have not had 100 kicked against us all year.

I really think our defensive structure all over the ground has taken defence to a new height.

We dont give up inside 50's easily. Once it is in the 50 our backine is being very efficient and defended extremely well.

the old adage is that a good defence wont win you a flag - but if you dont have a good defence you have no hope of winning one (if that makes sense).

I really think our defence has not been given the kudo's it deserves.

Lets hope it stands the test next week.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
saint patrick
Saintsational Legend

Spot on Joffa :wink:

This is what seperates us from the rest and gives me a real belief that this year could be the year..

At the minute we are the most balanced side in in...solid backs,power forwards and a strong supporting cast including the midfield...

Bring on next week and lets see where we are in the overall scheme 8-)

Never take a backward step even to gain momentum.....

'It's OK to have the capabilities and abilities, but you've got to get it done." Terry Daniher 05

"We have beauty in our captain and we have a true leader in our coach. Our time will come"
Thinline.Post 09 Grand final.
iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

Been nothing short of amazing has it? Exceptional, and as usual, tends to go under the radar compared to a foward line dominance. Just the way I like it too.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Too true.

Of the teams we've played, 6 out of 13 have kicked their lowest score for the year against us.

reincarnated

Our defence is super despite the team not playing as well in the past month as it did the first two of the year

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

And Geelong know it....listened to grabs from interviews from Harley, Chapman and Scarlett recently....all mentioned it.

fonz_#15
SS Life Member

yeah but our clangers will bring us unstuck as we will concede at least 5 goals from gram's clangers next week

Robert Harvey- Simply the best
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

fonz_#15 wrote:yeah but our clangers will bring us unstuck as we will concede at least 5 goals from gram's clangers next week
But we will get at least 8 back from Harley's clangers so we will be three in front :D :D

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
fonz_#15
SS Life Member

joffaboy wrote:
fonz_#15 wrote:yeah but our clangers will bring us unstuck as we will concede at least 5 goals from gram's clangers next week
But we will get at least 8 back from Harley's clangers so we will be three in front :D :D
doesn't matter mate something else will go wrong, we are 13-0 and zip so we need something to whinge about

felixleo
Club Player

Clangers will bring anyone unstuck but at least if your winning the ball you have a chance to do well.

Are you gonna be the one?
Saintschampions08
Club Player

Geelong had 43 clangers against Port...

We had 34 today against Richmond...

fonz_#15
SS Life Member

Saintschampions08 wrote:
Geelong had 43 clangers against Port...

We had 34 today against Richmond...
i know but ours will be more costly :roll:

makemytime
Club Player

Is it just me, or does someone else think Dawson is going to lose his place? Hes been in super form and i love the guy but surely Goose would have to start churning up games before the finals...
but on the other hand, Dawsons been real handy and id hate to see him lose to his spot because of reputation rather than performance....we'll see how he plays against the best this week!

Munga
Saintsational Legend

makemytime wrote:Is it just me, or does someone else think Dawson is going to lose his place?
Nope.

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

makemytime wrote:Is it just me, or does someone else think Dawson is going to lose his place?
I'd say it's just you...among Saints supporters.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: Defences win Premierships???

imo our defence is better than geelong's and so is our forward line.

our midfield is very good and much improved. theirs is outstanding and seldomn beaten.

if we can break even in the midfield next week we can win.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

Re: Defences win Premierships???

bigcarl wrote:imo our defence is better than geelong's and so is our forward line.

our midfield is very good and much improved. theirs is outstanding and seldomn beaten.

if we can break even in the midfield next week we can win.
this is how i think
our forwards better
our defense better
their mids slightly above us

its all about believing we CAN beat them
and will :) :)

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

Saints conceded 27 inside-50s to Richmond yesterday.

The lowest for any team this year.

fingers
Saintsational Legend

Good post JB

I love the way we are positioned for this game. I am not nervous at all. Not because I think we will win because it doesn't really matter. We have nothing to lose this weekend. The approach of being in the St. Kilda bubble and focusing on the effort and the process is the perfect thing to do.

This weekend we get a chance to test it. That's all. The boys can go out and find out where they are really at. Win and it's a confidence booster. Win or lose and we know what needs to change to beat the best.

I like it.

bozza1980
Club Player

It's definitely exciting, finally get our chance to see how far we have improved against the best, in a finals like atmosphere at the dome.

It's like September in July.

Beej
Saintsational Legend

When was the last time a side was kept scoreless for two consecutive quarters?