Which is pleasing...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Quixote
SS Life Member

Which is pleasing...

Has anyone noticed how opposition coaches are now, insidiously, unconsciously perhaps, talking like our man, Ross Lyon?

Not just certain phrases - its the way they structure their sentences, how they refer back to the players and constantly defer to an almost mystical team-ethos line of communication.

Watch closely because I guarantee this is happening.

There is a band of cool and calm Ross Lyon clones out there and their number is growing. They are not afraid to ask the reciprocal question, talk generally in a 3rd person kind of way and constantly, always, refer back to the team, the whole and the little things - the philosophy.

They are often pleased, rarely ruffled and project from a position of calm "I've got an Ace up my sleeve" authority. They will engage in a joke, often seek one, but also not take any s***. Through all of this, their respect for the toughness of the opposition and the competitiveness of the competition is enormous. At times, they are inclined to end a sentence with a downward inflection in tone; a subtle display of the deep wisdom pleasing forth.

I'm into patterns, and in the last month or so, this one has emerged.

Pack leaders of Ross Lyon emulation: Michael Voss, Matthew Knights and Rodney Eade. Interesting to note two out of the three are new coaches. For the latest direct example, read Knights in today's Age article on the Bombers. I was not surprised but pleased. Can't be bothered getting direct links for the other two, but there are plenty.

New draftees of the Lyon Clone Movement: John Worsfold, Dean Bailey, Brett Ratten (when he's making any sense) and Mark Harvey in mouth sans foot mode. All have been pleasing themselves recently.

Guarantee you'll be noticing this now. Often.

And it will be pl... yeah.

:D

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
roxanne
Club Player

You know, I have noticed this too and wondered if I was being a bit too out there, even for me. Especially the use of the word pleasing. Let's face it, it's such a good word. Michael Voss and Knights seem to be copying all of Ross' speech inflections - even Bomber Thompson used 'pleasing' during his appearance on Before the Game. And you've hit the nail on the head with his modest delivery that leaves everyone with that 'I've got an ace up my sleeve' perception. Lyon has so much respect from everyone in the footy world - especially our players.

"He spoke of his stride, his power and his willingness to push himself to exhaustion. All of the things that are on display each weekend in the No 12 jumper" Garry Lyon
saint-stu
Club Player

When listening to Paul Roos on the radio the other day, I commented to my girlfriend about how much he talked like Rossy.

Or is it that Ross talks like Roos?

Quixote
SS Life Member

Talking with a few people about this today...

Some suggest that ALL coaches talk in this way, which in part is true. I was actually going to qualify this last night but was too tired - yes, all coaches do come out with similar platitudes and management speak at times. HOWEVER - the way Ross Lyon communicates (indeed, the way we all communicate) is entirely unique and I have witnessed this mode of comms being imitated, copied, cloned - whatever you want to call it.

RL these days quite a successful media coach. Of course, 12 zip helps! None the less, he's smooth and great for the Club.

As to ^^^, I think yeah, RL will have no doubt borrowed a bit from Roosy and his many management theories/courses/techniques.

These days however, Lyon is his own man. Back in his first year, week by week he'd use identical little phrases to Roosy (they sometimes still crop up, like "butchering the footy"), but don't doubt RL has developed his own style and stamped it - and now, the master may be copying the apprentice!

^^^^ Roxanne, you're not out there - you're IN there!!

8-)

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Ironically, GT began the process of getting everyone to talk about well, processes.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

evertonfc wrote:Ironically, GT began the process of getting everyone to talk about well, processes.
...here we go... :wink:

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Sobraz wrote:
evertonfc wrote:Ironically, GT began the process of getting everyone to talk about well, processes.
No, but am I correct.

:wink:

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

evertonfc wrote:
Sobraz wrote:
No, but am I correct.

:wink:
Just don't mention the war

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Ross is trendy 8-)

walski
Club Player

imo he talked about processes out of his ass but the lack of game plan in the view of hindsight is like light and day compered to Ross.

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

ohwhenthesaints! wrote:Ross is trendy 8-)

Andhas a cool strut when he walks :D