Can we ? I am sure we can.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

VietNam_Saint
Club Player

Can we ? I am sure we can.

I was still impressed with the way Geelong played today , however do I think we can beat them in rd 14 ?

The answer is yes.

The boys are strong enough , quick enough , goal kicking is looking great.
Very hard at the ball.

I like it , we will have a win in Rd 14. :D :D :D :D :D :D

What will be next from this club ?
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

I keep wondering what does the result of this game really mean?

I guess it depends on how it goes......IMHO

A narrow saints win = we can beat them BUT riders include its at Etihad and I do think the Cats will steele themselves for the next encounter...

A large saints win = big surprise.....maybe an opportunity for some mental scarring.....thatd be nice......10 goal flogging.

A narrow Cats win = Saints arent far off the pace at all - should be a cracker next time....

Alarge Cats win = Saints havent bridged the obvious gap from last year - chance we suffer some mental scarring...

hmm..

“Yeah….nah””
AP Erebus
Club Player

Teflon wrote:I keep wondering what does the result of this game really mean?

A narrow saints win = we can beat them BUT riders include its at Etihad and I do think the Cats will steele themselves for the next encounter...

A large saints win = big surprise.....maybe an opportunity for some mental scarring.....thatd be nice......10 goal flogging.

A narrow Cats win = Saints arent far off the pace at all - should be a cracker next time....

Alarge Cats win = Saints havent bridged the obvious gap from last year - chance we suffer some mental scarring...

hmm..
Thats pretty much how i see it...

With a larg win being 36+ and a close result <12... In between i'm not really sure what I would take away from it.

Tho a win would be an amzing achievement!

it has been around this time that "Kosi" will headbutt a fence, rip a hamstring or belt someone.
goodie
Club Player

Of course we can, if Fremantle can push them, we can beat them.

Whether or not we will is a different matter

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

I am sick to death of this 'God' complex surrounding Geelong. They are only a football team. Yes, they are a very good team, but so are we.

They proved in the GF last year that they have quite a few weaknesses and Hawthorn exploited them. We can and will do the same.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
markp
Saintsational Legend

goodie wrote:Of course we can, if Fremantle can push them, we can beat them.

Whether or not we will is a different matter
Spot on.

And it only really matters in the context of where we will finish on the ladder.... you cant read too much into the result either way, it will obviously have zero bearing on the outcome of a possible finals clash.

I intend on just enjoying the spectacle, it'll be one of the most hyped h & a Saints games ever, and I hope it at least partially lives up to expectations.

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

The thing that really impresses me about the Saints' mindset is that all they care about is putting premiership points in the bank for September.

At the end of the day a large win to the Cats would have to coincide with a lot of the Saints team not "hitting their indicators". I don't believe they are that far off the mark. The stats tell us so. The percentage tells us so. I think they will have the resilience to shrug off a loss.

It's exciting to watch this team with the knowledge that they are focusing on the inner game and not just the outer one, and that anything is possible.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:I keep wondering what does the result of this game really mean?

hmm..
Agree on this, wrote something similar in the G thread.

I think the best longer term outcome would be a medium loss 4-6 goals, with them going away, after we push them hard for 3.5 qtrs.

As much as it would hurt me on the day it would maintain our surprise tactic for the big day should we play them.

I can't see a large win for us, would be a major surprise.

An injury or two to them would also be handy... :wink:

This game does feel a bit like a soccer friendly before a World Cup, important but meaningless at the same time...

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

The game means squat to me in terms of the ultimate prize,absolutley squat,apart from banter in the stands like any other game.
I just want the finals to come along. I've had enough of big home and away wins,it's all I've ever had to look forward too or look back on. Great wins at Moorabbin, our blockbuster wins over Collingwood in the 90's,our win over Brisbane in 04, our 8 year streak against Carlton. All great,but at the end of the day,I want the flag,it's all I want now. Big wins are becoming meaningless in the big picture when I have not witnessed a flag in my lifetime

It's about enjoying the ride,and sh!t it's been a very long ride,however if we lose to Geelong it won't have one iota of impact comes finals,and if we beat them it won't mean we have a better chance at winning the flag.

We've just got to concentrate hitting september in peak shape and form. I am not concerned about the round 14 game, it's just a useless distraction. Of course I'd like to beat them,but at the end of the day the 4 points we'd recieve does not come back and kick goals for us in september

Just fast forward to september already and let's got on with winning this friggin thing

Bring back the Lockett era
markp
Saintsational Legend

How anyone could think a few goals either way in a round 14 clash could possibly have any bearing on a possible GF result is totally beyond me.

Just as is anyone thinking it would be better for us to lose.

Saint Bev
SS Life Member

[quoteI intend on just enjoying the spectacle, it'll be one of the most hyped h & a Saints games ever, and I hope it at least partially lives up to expectations.[/quote]

Yes lets hope it does live up to expectations, would be so embarrassing for Geelong not to keep up with the ladder leaders! :wink:

Qld Saints Supporter Group
howlinwolf
Club Player

I've thought about this for a while and think there is only one result that
will be undesirable and that's if we get a belting.

That won't do our confidence any good. I can't see how this will happen
however.

If we lose but are very competitive or win there's no reason we can't still
win the GF like Hawthorn did. They lost to the Cats through the year.

I can't help but things are in our favour slightly as they honestly believe
we're not much of a threat. They think it's 2008 all over again.
"Scarlo" thinks we've always been crap.

I don't know how many times I've heard and read that Harry Taylor owns
Nick Riewoldt because of his performance in the final in 2008.

Well Harry had lots of help that day. Nick did not get fed too well as we were down nearly everywhere.

I'd like to see how Harry goes when we're up and about and each Cat
player is busy dealing with his own problems instead of helping Harry
out in a 80 point thumping ?

Harry is a very average player from what I have seen. So is Blake.

They have their weaknesses and when they're under pressure you'll see more of them.

We need to exert maximum pressure.

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

howlinwolf wrote: They have their weaknesses and when they're under pressure you'll see more of them.

We need to exert maximum pressure.
Give the man a cigar! Post of the day.

If you watched the Geelong game against the Cats on Sunday, you can see the amount of errors were made by this team under pressure. Even Sir Garry had a bad day and made errors under pressure.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Stevie J on the couch tonight, seemed quick to want to justify some of their brain fades in front of goal. If we can limit their opportunities to play on, I think the self doubt in front of goals is a real issue. It hasn't gone away following the GF last year, in fact more surprising it doesn't seem to have been addressed?

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

yes

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
25Chips

watching the Cats yesterday we can beat them - at the moment I think we are harder at the ball than they are - Freeo went hard and gave them a run - we are much harder at it than Freeo especially in our forward pressure - what a game it will be cant wait :)

Saintsthenewbreed
2009ourYear
AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

If we can play at the intensity of earlier in the year we can s*** it in.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.