Blake must go out!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Wouldn't mind seeing Begley get some game time, but not at the expense of Blake...far too flexible. Do we have any other utilities who can play back, ruck or forward? Next closest is BJ.

Other than Belgley (I have no idea how he is performing in the VFL), what other small/mid backline options do we have? Dempster won't be back this year, so please don't bring him up. Anyone???

Violent Stool
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:well all will be revealed in round 14. our over-sized backline will be exposed. but i agree max can play small. maybe max on stevie j?
Max is the absolute perfect matchup for Johnson.

How far down the rabbit hole do you really want to go?
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

The only thing Blake must do, is continue to do his best and leave it up to RL

Red
Club Player

If we are so top heavy with defenders why is Sam Fisher still playing key

position?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Red wrote:If we are so top heavy with defenders why is Sam Fisher still playing key

position?
He didnt last week. Not that you tell these days but seemed more of a HBF. He is still our best option against the bigger CHF.

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Violent Stool wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:well all will be revealed in round 14. our over-sized backline will be exposed. but i agree max can play small. maybe max on stevie j?
As good a stopper as max is he is absolutley no match up for Stevie J. He'd beat him in the air,but get murdered everywhere else. Johnson is virtually another midfielder these days. Max doesn't have the tank and it would be a suicidal match up

Bring back the Lockett era
saintly_safes
Club Player

Imo I dont like how we are openly shooting down some of the real stalwarts of our club. We are 12 & zip yet were ready to throw Bakes ,Blake,Max,Maguire on to the scrap heap. These guys have been the back bone of the club for near on a decade . I will agree some are in the twilight of there afl careers but dont deserve the criticism that they are getting ,at least not from saint supporters :?

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

saintly_safes wrote:Imo I dont like how we are openly shooting down some of the real stalwarts of our club. We are 12 & zip yet were ready to throw Bakes ,Blake,Max,Maguire on to the scrap heap. These guys have been the back bone of the club for near on a decade . I will agree some are in the twilight of there afl careers but dont deserve the criticism that they are getting ,at least not from saint supporters :?
yeah, get burkey and stewie back out on the field. they were stalwarts of the club for more than a decade!

or maybe they don't quite deserve a game any more. past glories are all very well, but it's how you're actually performing now that matters.

incidentally, maguire's only played 99 games. gram's played 88 and x clarke's played 105, does that make them the "back bone of the club" as well?

saintly_safes
Club Player

bergholt wrote:
saintly_safes wrote:Imo I dont like how we are openly shooting down some of the real stalwarts of our club. We are 12 & zip yet were ready to throw Bakes ,Blake,Max,Maguire on to the scrap heap. These guys have been the back bone of the club for near on a decade . I will agree some are in the twilight of there afl careers but dont deserve the criticism that they are getting ,at least not from saint supporters :?
yeah, get burkey and stewie back out on the field. they were stalwarts of the club for more than a decade!

or maybe they don't quite deserve a game any more. past glories are all very well, but it's how you're actually performing now that matters.

incidentally, maguire's only played 99 games. gram's played 88 and x clarke's played 105, does that make them the "back bone of the club" as well?
If you read the first word of the post its says "imo" So what ,you dont agree with it but why high & mighty approach :? I dont agree with most things you post but I dont treat you with contempt because I dont agree with you :?

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

saintly_safes wrote:If you read the first word of the post its says "imo" So what ,you dont agree with it but why high & mighty approach :? I dont agree with most things you post but I dont treat you with contempt because I dont agree with you :?
it's not contempt. it's the internet. everything posted on here is opinion, and i happen to disagree with this one of yours. so i said so. is that wrong?

degruch
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:Wouldn't mind seeing Begley get some game time, but not at the expense of Blake...far too flexible. Do we have any other utilities who can play back, ruck or forward? Next closest is BJ.

Other than Belgley (I have no idea how he is performing in the VFL), what other small/mid backline options do we have? Dempster won't be back this year, so please don't bring him up. Anyone???
None of you guys have got a freakin' clue, have ya?

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

I love Max's ability to spoil and watch and mark his opponent.

He is probably the best defender in the AFL in that particular regard.

Where Max has issues is his leg speed (due to age) and his disposal.

Max is a not a hard, penertrating kick (he often kicks it high, which makes a speedy switch to the other side for a quick counter-attack difficult).

So....

IF Max stays (which is probably the way to go), we need to base our defence around his limitations, and have support close by to get those fast counter attacks going.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:Other than Belgley (I have no idea how he is performing in the VFL), what other small/mid backline options do we have? Dempster won't be back this year, so please don't bring him up. Anyone???
None of you guys have got a freakin' clue, have ya?[/quote]

was that a serious question? the obvious first option is miles. he's been emergency a few times already this year after being promoted from the rookie list, so obviously they see something in him.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
degruch wrote:Other than Belgley (I have no idea how he is performing in the VFL), what other small/mid backline options do we have? Dempster won't be back this year, so please don't bring him up. Anyone???
None of you guys have got a freakin' clue, have ya?
was that a serious question? the obvious first option is miles. he's been emergency a few times already this year after being promoted from the rookie list, so obviously they see something in him.[/quote]

Oh yes...I'm deadly serious. With all this talk of dropping Blake (not a great idea IMO) now dissolving into a 'how great is maax' sesh, I'm wondering what happened to the original concept of a smaller backline...had anyone even seen to options in action??? So, thanks for your opinion Bergholt, I'd be interested to see if the Tigers are considered short enough on the forward line to force a change next week...if so, does Miles come in?

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:I'm wondering what happened to the original concept of a smaller backline...had anyone even seen to options in action?
a tall backline is one of our strengths, imo, but there is a danger with max. zac and blake in it that is a little lacking in run.

i wouldn't be totally recasting it.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

Saints43 wrote:Max can play on a small, fast forward.
When was the last time he actually did? I remember Nathan Brown saying that Max was one of the toughest defenders he'd ever faced (along with James Clement), but I don't remember the last time Max played on Nathan Brown. Other than the occasional undersized key forward - like Welsh or Robbo - I can't think of anybody he's played on in recent years who could be described as small.

Max doesn't like to leave defensive 50. Most smalls these days push up the ground for at least some of the game. He's much better suited to playing on talls these days.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote:
Saints43 wrote:Max can play on a small, fast forward.
When was the last time he actually did? I remember Nathan Brown saying that Max was one of the toughest defenders he'd ever faced (along with James Clement), but I don't remember the last time Max played on Nathan Brown. Other than the occasional undersized key forward - like Welsh or Robbo - I can't think of anybody he's played on in recent years who could be described as small.

Max doesn't like to leave defensive 50. Most smalls these days push up the ground for at least some of the game. He's much better suited to playing on talls these days.
Exactly. Smalls dont play in the forward pocket anymore and Max can only play last line of defence. He is only suited to stay at home forwards.

FullMonty
Club Player

It annoys me how many people bag Blakey.
This bloke gives his absolute all every week for the entire game.
How many others have been able to say that over their careers?

Montyrules!
saintly_safes
Club Player

bergholt wrote:
saintly_safes wrote:If you read the first word of the post its says "imo" So what ,you dont agree with it but why high & mighty approach :? I dont agree with most things you post but I dont treat you with contempt because I dont agree with you :?
it's not contempt. it's the internet. everything posted on here is opinion, and i happen to disagree with this one of yours. so i said so. is that wrong?
No it not wrong, its what the site is for. Its the derogatory way that you imply that your opinion is right & if you disagree then your a loser.I suppose its the way the world is going, its a shame that people have to be so blunt & opinionated to explain their point of view especially when were on the same side :(

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

jonesy wrote:
Violent Stool wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:well all will be revealed in round 14. i agree max can play small. maybe max on stevie j?
As good a stopper as max is he is absolutley no match up for Stevie J. He'd beat him in the air,but get murdered everywhere else. Johnson is virtually another midfielder these days. Max doesn't have the tank and it would be a suicidal match up
It depends which way Johnson played. Some weeks he's been playing more of a midfield role (like when he had about 30 possies and 1 or no goals, a few weeks ago) and others weeks he's staying pretty much permanently inside 50 (like the following week, where they said he had about 9 possies, but kicked about 6 goals.) If he played that role, I'd start Max on him for sure. He'd be my ideal match up, out of almost anyone in the league, if Johnson was staying mostly inside 50.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
jay young
Club Player

S Fisher L Ball S Gilbert B Goddard S Baker are playing average at the moment as well its not just Jason .

saintly_safes
Club Player

saintly_safes wrote:
bergholt wrote:
No its not wrong, its what the site is for. Its the derogatory way that you imply that your opinion is right & if you disagree then your a loser.I suppose its the way the world is going, its a shame that people have to be so blunt & opinionated to explain their point of view especially when were on the same side :(

rexy
SS Life Member

jay young wrote:S Fisher L Ball S Gilbert B Goddard S Baker are playing average at the moment as well its not just Jason .
Being a bit rough on BJ, Ball, Fisher and Gilbert and probably going a bit early on Baker. I know you are trying to make a point but think you may be missing one also. The point of the OP has more to do with team structure and having to drop a tall than Blakes form. He is just the unlucky one that some think needs to go.

Maybe this year?
saint patrick
Saintsational Legend

Would rather see McEnvoy dropped at this stage than Blake to be honest...

With Blake taking a relieving Ruck Rover type role or switching to defence as required.

Understand that Macs development is important but that can take place naturally over the next few years.

No disresect to the kid but he still has a way to go.

With King returning in 3 weeks his opportunitys will be limited this year.

I think that Blakes courage, flexibility and gut running for now are better value to where we are at the minute.

Watched the replay of the Carlton game and Blakey still did some crucial 1% ers that justify him staying in the squad for now.

Never take a backward step even to gain momentum.....

'It's OK to have the capabilities and abilities, but you've got to get it done." Terry Daniher 05

"We have beauty in our captain and we have a true leader in our coach. Our time will come"
Thinline.Post 09 Grand final.
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:I love Max's ability to spoil and watch and mark his opponent.

He is probably the best defender in the AFL in that particular regard.

Where Max has issues is his leg speed (due to age) and his disposal.

Max is a not a hard, penertrating kick (he often kicks it high, which makes a speedy switch to the other side for a quick counter-attack difficult).

So....

IF Max stays (which is probably the way to go), we need to base our defence around his limitations, and have support close by to get those fast counter attacks going.
Be careful, you will be abused for attacking a "sacred cow". We all saw Max's strength last week - close checking and "the punch". Unfortunately, the opposing team kicked more goals on us than any other this year. This was due to Max's teammates dropping sitters or refusing to go for a contested mark, meaning more opportunities for Carlton's little blokes on the ground - which they took. I just hope that Max's teammates realise that just because he can't take a contested mark that this does not mean that no-one else should either. Alas, the evidence in the last 10 years is not good. The best role for Max is a bit role. We need a leader on the back line who is prepared, and skilled enough, to do the right thing at the right time - mark or punch. Sam Fisher should have taken on this role, but we all saw how he has played in the last two weeks. Zac Dawson might, but a certain "ego" is going to have to make a big call in the the interests of the club.