Roo's kicking for goal

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Milton66
SS Life Member

Roo's kicking for goal

Interesting snippet from the Hun about Roo's kicking for goal...

MYTH 2: Final siren sounds. The ball is on 50m. Nick Riewoldt is one of the last players you would want taking the money shot.

Wrong. Riewoldt is actually better from long range than close in. The St Kilda skipper has kicked 9.2 from outside the 50m arc so far this season - an accuracy rate of 82 per cent.

Only Adelaide's Chris Knights (9.1) has a better accuracy of the players to have 10 or more shots from beyond the paint.

Riewoldt's accuracy from within 50m is 60 per cent. He has slotted 31 goals from 52 shots.

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I think he improved towards the end of the last year...

Perhaps the misconception is because when he does miss, he certainly makes it memorable.

Beej
Saintsational Legend

Roo's kicking is much improved.

Previous years he'd miss and then go from bad to worse.

He still shanks the odd shot but I think the difference now is that he doesn't let the misses bother him. He puts it behind him and, like a true goalscorer, never loses faith in his ability.

He's kicked some remarkable goals from outside 50.

One at the start of the third against Carlton, tucked up against the boundary line, which really got us going in that quarter.

This is another against Collingwood -

Shaggy
Club Player

Milne,Roo, Sneids, Kosi and Monty cannot pot straight within 40 meters unless they run around.

On a shot with major angle difficulty or far out I would always back them in :D

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Rooey's kicking for goal has improved remarkably in the past 8 weeks or so. As previously stated, he's still been kicking one or two shockers each week, but the rest have basically been fantastic. I'm extremely happy for him (and us!). It's been great to see. Kosi's kicking for goal also began to really improve around the same time. They both got their confidence back.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
Griggsy
SS Life Member

agreed. It is not the misses, just how he misses them. Some of them are dreadful and can make you cringe. Is it better to miss and keep the ball in than to miss and scor a behind,hmmm tricky.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

Re: Roo's kicking for goal

Milton66 wrote:Wrong. Riewoldt is actually better from long range than close in. The St Kilda skipper has kicked 9.2 from outside the 50m arc so far this season - an accuracy rate of 82 per cent.

Riewoldt's accuracy from within 50m is 60 per cent. He has slotted 31 goals from 52 shots.
His outside 50 stats obviously don't count the ones that don't score at all...you all know the ones I mean. The duck hooks, the shanks and the ones that don't make the distance...

If the scenario is a kick from outside 50 to win the GF...I'd rather BJ with the ball in his hands (especially if there's a breeze).

Roo's ball drop starts too high and he is susceptible to mis-kicks.

roxanne
Club Player

Coming second in the Coleman Medal. Didn't think I'd ever see that.
I would just love to see him kick a bag one day - could be next week.

"He spoke of his stride, his power and his willingness to push himself to exhaustion. All of the things that are on display each weekend in the No 12 jumper" Garry Lyon
ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

roxanne wrote:Coming second in the Coleman Medal. Didn't think I'd ever see that.
I would just love to see him kick a bag one day - could be next week.

huh? do you watch football at all, Roo has kicked 9 several times in a game.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Roo is a very good shot for goal...as long as he does not think about it.

When he does his action suffers.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

Reiwoldt's general kicking for goal is as oft criticised as it is because much like Franklin (who has ironically finally seemed to get his accuracy under control, and now has that much less supply) it's the "Achilles heel" of his game.

Over time, Reiwoldt's about on par for conversion with most CHFs of the modern era.

However, his misses are spectacular, and it's hard not to worry when he has the ball 30m out just in front, where he's got just enough room to hook the ball wildly.

The outside 50 stat surprises me. A lot. I too would love to see it with out and out misses included. It certainly hasn't been a feature of his game right up until late last year (watching him hammer a couple against Collingwood in the semi is the first time in a long time I can remember seeing him do it more than once in a game)

Reiwoldt does seem to be a better kick when the pressure's highest - though I can't quantify that.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Milton66 wrote:Wrong. Riewoldt is actually better from long range than close in. The St Kilda skipper has kicked 9.2 from outside the 50m arc so far this season - an accuracy rate of 82 per cent.
well there's no danger of just stabbing or poking at it if you've got to kick it more than 50 metres. it leaves you no choice but to kick through the ball if you want to make the distance.

also, there's less pressure on because no-one really expects you to kick it.

not that surprised with this stat.

Moorabbin Saints
Club Player

bigcarl wrote: well there's no danger of just stabbing or poking at it if you've got to kick it more than 50 metres. it leaves you no choice but to kick through the ball if you want to make the distance.

That statement is 100% true. He is better from long range as he is forced to kick through the ball. It's when he is 30m out that he stabs at the ball and it flies off in the wrong direction.

Watch Kosi. He usually kicks it up onto the top tier as he kicks through the ball whether 55m out or 15m out. It's what Riewoldt needs to do. The same action no matter the distance.

Winmar7Fan
Club Player

bigcarl wrote:
well there's no danger of just stabbing or poking at it if you've got to kick it more than 50 metres. it leaves you no choice but to kick through the ball if you want to make the distance.

Spot on bigcarl and he even looks more nervous coming in to kick from short distances where he comes in with more purpose and less concern from around that 50 out.

Legendary
Club Player

I've watched this very closely in 2009.

And Riewoldt has kicked all the big "pressure" shots ... those ones the captain HAS to kick to keep his side in the game.

So he's a good kick under pressure.

And he's learnt not to let missing a goal get to him mentally. If he misses one he just goes on ... and doesn't look to pass it off, but takes responsibility himself.

Best captain in the AFL IMO.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Legendary wrote:Best captain in the AFL IMO.
i'd agree with that, but i'm sure that even he'd admit that kicking for goal hasn't been his greatest strength over the journey.

being the consumate professional that he is, i'm sure he's working on it and that it is beginning to pay dividends.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

BAM! (shhhh) wrote:...Reiwoldt does seem to be a better kick when the pressure's highest - though I can't quantify that.
I can. (By the way, it's Riewoldt.)

His accuracy improves more than 100% in the final quarter (at least on stats this year). To be fair, that may not mean much if we are already 10 goals in front, but the last 4 games provide good evidence. He, like Kosi, is good at clutch goals, something we may need to call on in the next six weeks.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote:
BAM! (shhhh) wrote:...Reiwoldt does seem to be a better kick when the pressure's highest - though I can't quantify that.
I can. (By the way, it's Riewoldt.)

His accuracy improves more than 100% in the final quarter (at least on stats this year). To be fair, that may not mean much if we are already 10 goals in front, but the last 4 games provide good evidence. He, like Kosi, is good at clutch goals, something we may need to call on in the next six weeks.
Often thought hes far more dangerous from just outside 50.....its like the pressure is released (similar to Rocca).

“Yeah….nah””
jay young
Club Player

I think his eyesight might not be too good he squints like crazy when he looks up at the goals

nathan000
Club Player

He used to be a dead eye dick when he first came to the club. Then it went by the way side around the same time as the collarbone issues arose.