MEMBERSHIP 2009- 33,663 -( 31,906AFL) CONGRATS SAINTS

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
saintbrat wrote:
Go Sainters Go wrote:Office today showing 32,239.
Record membership in 2006 was 32,327 - incl. Bill Express apprx. 1,000.
We should therefore, have a record year this year.
thanks for popping into the office to check for us Go Sainters Go
great news
Great news for a team 12 zip??

hmmm.....

Great news would be 35K members.....32K is an 5 out of 10 effort IMO.
I'm with you on this. Some are easily pleased. Hawthorn, Carlton and Tigers have gone a huge amounts in the last 2 years. We have missed the finals once since 2004 and are still at those totals. Some one should find the 2004 figures of Victorian sides to prove how ordinary our membership is. I would say every Victorian club would have had big increases except us.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:
saintbrat wrote:
great news

hmmm.....

I'm with you on this. Some are easily pleased. Hawthorn, Carlton and Tigers have gone a huge amounts in the last 2 years. We have missed the finals once since 2004 and are still at those totals. Some one should find the 2004 figures of Victorian sides to prove how ordinary our membership is. I would say every Victorian club would have had big increases except us.
Hawthorn... won a flag
Carlton..side on the rise + Judd
Richmond..Cousins

The stat I would like to see his how many FC members have upgraded to SC since Round 1? That might offset the actual lack of members $-wise

We've set the bar high with this start though..if we only make the Prelims after a 12-0 start..well..will not bode well for our numbers next year I reckon

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:
saintbrat wrote:
great news

hmmm.....

Hawthorn... won a flag
Richmond..Cousins

The stat I would like to see his how many FC members have upgraded to SC since Round 1? That might offset the actual lack of members $-wise

We've set the bar high with this start though..if we only make the Prelims after a 12-0 start..well..will not bode well for our numbers next year I reckon
Hawthorn had over 40000 last year. More worried about how we have dropped from top 3 Victorian side in 2004 to bottom 3 in 2009. That is more the worry.

Legendary
Club Player

We kept growing our membership until 2006 ... but we basically missed the finals that year (lost first week) and missed them in '07 (and sacked a relatively popular coach before the season) ...

So I think those things contributed.

I also think our marketing (which has improved this year) dropped off a lot between 2006 and 2008. I think we got complacent and thought our membership would take care of itself, when it clearly didn't.

The positive is that we will have membership growth of something like 7% this year, and if we can use that as a base to build towards in 2010, then we should start to set things up pretty well.

Having a full social club is also a windfall for the club, although I believe that happened in 05 or 06?

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

The 32,253 still didn't include another 70-100 memberships that had not been processed (according to the club). Come on everyone, 2 weeks until the membership window closes. If you haven't got a membership already, grab one now!

matrix
Saintsational Legend

i got my upgrade from interstate to 11 gamer in the mail yesterday.

they must be doing better than expected because there was a small letter saying that not all the items have been posted due to running out of stock...but rest assured they will be forwarded very soon.
good news.
its too easy....all they did was subtract what id already payed as an interstater and billed me that.
next year the total amount is split up and its taken out monthly from the account.
i will hardly notice it
:)

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

32,253 confirmed on Saints central

14 days to go- let alone Nights- with the internet access

keep the number growing sainters
1 game or 3 game
and 11 game + social club ( with G/F options) still of value..

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

hehehe
http://www.saints.com.au/membership/tab ... fault.aspx

and after I'd spent five seconds counting the days on the calander :)

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
maverick
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
saint66au wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:
saintbrat wrote:
great news

hmmm.....

Hawthorn... won a flag
Richmond..Cousins

Hawthorn had over 40000 last year. More worried about how we have dropped from top 3 Victorian side in 2004 to bottom 3 in 2009. That is more the worry.
Forget about comparing membership numbers and start looking at membership revenue, including reseve seats, social club and all associated streams, that would be more interesting. bet that's not available to us mere punters, maybe you can get that P66...

Given the Hawks have 7 Melb home games I would be very interested to see how much reserve seat revenue they get, and how many of the 40,000 are Tassy 4 game members?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

maverick wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
saint66au wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:
saintbrat wrote:
great news

hmmm.....

Hawthorn... won a flag
Richmond..Cousins

Forget about comparing membership numbers and start looking at membership revenue, including reseve seats, social club and all associated streams, that would be more interesting. bet that's not available to us mere punters, maybe you can get that P66...

Given the Hawks have 7 Melb home games I would be very interested to see how much reserve seat revenue they get, and how many of the 40,000 are Tassy 4 game members?
Considering their profit in the last couple of years I would think they make huge money out of memberships and other member income streams. There are 7000 Tassie member this year so still 44000 other members. Not bad. Even last years they probably had 35000 other members. And to all those who will be excited when we break our record remember, and yes this goes for all clubs, they no include any membership even if you cant get into a game with that membership. They certainly didnt do that 4 years ago.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

maverick wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
saint66au wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:
saintbrat wrote:
great news

hmmm.....

Hawthorn... won a flag
Richmond..Cousins

Hallelujah!
Someone else has cottoned onto the point I've been rabbiting on about for weeks.
The membershio numbers comparisons are irrelevant. We are comparing apples with oranges and in some cases turnips. How can you compare membership numbers between clubs when they're all selling diferent packages?

The only figures that have any bearing at all are the $ derived from memberships.
And that figure we're unlikely to get until the accunts are published at teh next AGM.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:
maverick wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
saint66au wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:
saintbrat wrote:
great news

hmmm.....

Hawthorn... won a flag
Richmond..Cousins

Hallelujah!
Someone else has cottoned onto the point I've been rabbiting on about for weeks.
The membershio numbers comparisons are irrelevant. We are comparing apples with oranges and in some cases turnips. How can you compare membership numbers between clubs when they're all selling diferent packages?

The only figures that have any bearing at all are the $ derived from memberships.
And that figure we're unlikely to get until the accunts are published at teh next AGM.
But that has always been the case. It would have been the same when we were te 3rd top Victorian side for membership and now we are 3rd last. Unless our packages cost more then the other Vic sides why have we dropped?

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Agree plugger.

I'm amazed a poster on this thread is happy with a 7% increase on last year given our form.

IMO the difference between us being 12 zip and the "expected" (pre-season) 6 and 6 (or perhaps 8 and 4) is around 2 to 3 thousand members.

At the start of the season, we were tracking to about 29K members.

I think it's appauling that only 3K extra members joined up in the past 12 weeks of our roll.

Anyone who is happy with that is IMO deluding themselves.

Ask yourself this question........what other Melbourne based club would have such a tepid rise in membership with a TOTALLY UNEXPECTED massive winning streak, beginning from ROUND 1.....I mean FFS we are not talking a roll that began in round 6/mid season etc!!!

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Plugger, But that is exactly my point.

If we're only selling 11 game or 16 game memberships and hawthorn is selling 4 game Tasmania mamberships, and 7 game Victorian memberships, of what relevance is it comparing how many memberships (numbers) the 2 clubs have sold?
Their 50,000+ memberships may equate to the same actual $ as our 32,000+ memberships.

We just don't know and yet we continue to compare the figures as if they are the same type of membership.

It's an irrelevant comparison unless the memberships are the same.

Here's an analogy for you:-

We sell 5000 saints jumpers - all adult sizes that sell for $100 each.
They sell 8000 Hawks Jumpers - all children sizes that sell for $50 each.

Why would we compare the figures 5000 against 8000 - clearly that doesn't paint an accurate picture of the financial benefit to the 2 Clubs.

We've sold $500,000 worth of jumpers to their $400,000 worth of jumpers.

VietNam_Saint
Club Player

How very strange that we never sold a kids jumper yet Hawthorn sells nothing but kids jumpers. :shock: :roll:

DOH !!!

What will be next from this club ?
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:Plugger, But that is exactly my point.

If we're only selling 11 game or 16 game memberships and hawthorn is selling 4 game Tasmania mamberships, and 7 game Victorian memberships, of what relevance is it comparing how many memberships (numbers) the 2 clubs have sold?
Their 50,000+ memberships may equate to the same actual $ as our 32,000+ memberships.

We just don't know and yet we continue to compare the figures as if they are the same type of membership.

Why would we compare the figures 5000 against 8000 - clearly that doesn't paint an accurate picture of the financial benefit to the 2 Clubs.

Well lets just say they must get huge profits out of membership because you have to look at their overall profit. Yes they get revenue from other places but membership is basically straight profit as there are only small on costs. Hawthorn have 7000 Tassie members so if they all buy the 4 gamer they would lose $300000 compared to our 11 game. That is 2500 members so they are still 16000 members ahead of us. The others would get 11 game or 16 game just like ours. What ever way you look at it we have dropped from 3rd to 3rd last.

All Victorian clubs would have similar child and Adult members and similar 11 and 16 game members as we all play similar games at the dome and g except Hawthorn and we know there 4 gamer only cost them 2500 members.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Are we 3rd last? Surely Melbourne, North and the Doggies are below us the last time I looked.

The reason we were 3rd in 2006 wasnt just our on-field success...it was the lack of success of Richmond and Carlton who over the years have had higher memberships than us..fell away for most of the decade so their numbers dropped below ours..now in 2009 suddenly they had young sides with optimism (+ Judd/Cousins) so their numbers took off back more where they have been for years

Hawthorn and Geelong won flags..'nuff said. Essendon and Collingwood will always be out of reach.

Its pretty obvious that only a flag will get our number past 35,000..12-0 after playing in 3 Prelims in 5 years and we are only at 32,000. the bandwgon casual fan who makes up the difference between 32,000 and 37,000 is gonna wait for a flag before jumping on its pretty clear now

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:Plugger, But that is exactly my point.

Well lets just say they must get huge profits out of membership because you have to look at their overall profit. Yes they get revenue from other places but membership is basically straight profit as there are only small on costs. Hawthorn have 7000 Tassie members so if they all buy the 4 gamer they would lose $300000 compared to our 11 game. That is 2500 members so they are still 16000 members ahead of us. The others would get 11 game or 16 game just like ours. What ever way you look at it we have dropped from 3rd to 3rd last.

All Victorian clubs would have similar child and Adult members and similar 11 and 16 game members as we all play similar games at the dome and g except Hawthorn and we know there 4 gamer only cost them 2500 members.
How do we know that all Clubs sell similar membership packages?

Why is it so hard to accept that the Clubs sell different membership packages and that the only true comparison is to compare the money generated by the membership package sales and not the actual number of memberships sold?

AFAIK each CLub determines what their membership package consists of and how much they charge for it - it's not determined by the AFL. I'm pretty sure there is a discrepancy between the Clubs as to what they charge for memberships and what theyn give you for them?

Surely it is a simple equasion?
You cannot bank a membership sale - you can only bank the money generated from the sale and if that amount varies from Club to Club, then it is nonsensical to compare anything other than the actual dollars derived from those sales?

kaos theory
Club Player

Firstly, of the Vic clubs, we sit ABOVE melb, north & the dogs, in member numbers. We are NOT 3rd last.

Secondly, people need to look at the broader picture.

Our membership tracked with the cats through 2003 to 2007. In fact we were almost alway slightly higher. The cats are a mid-sized club, with good supporter base, but not a huge membership base. They were very similar to us in this respect.

Then they won the flag, and their membership shot up. Now they have about 36 to 37k. If we win the flag, then we would easily hit this mark too. (even making the GF will add numbers).

Comparing us to hawks, carlton, pies, etc. is not where we are at atm. If we win a flag or two over the next 2 or 3 years, then we will start to move into that group.

Thridly, most of a club's membership numbers are determined during the december/january period. It tracks a simialr path to blockbuster films. If they don't make their money in the first 2 weeks of release, then they will never make money in the cinemas.

Whatever you sell in that period sets the final membership projections for the year. You will NEVER accelerate your sales in April through to June.

Think about it people.

An average family makes up its mind about its yearly activities early in the year. They often decide on budgets and activities with the kids. Also, the average family is NOT going to spend extra cash for a 11 game membership when 2,3 4, or 5 of those games have already passed.

That would be stupid, irrespective of how well the team is doing.

Therefore, based on last yr, we looked boring, got smashed in the finals, and seemed to be going backwards this yr. Therefore, it was an easy decision for many not to take out a membership, especially in hard times.

Finally, in rounds 1,2, 3,4, or 5, NO ONE knew that we would end up 12-0 at the break. It is stupid to say that because we started off winning the first 2 or 3 games in a row we would be 12-0 at the break and looking at a gf. You can't know that. Many team starts off well, then falls into a hole pretty quickly.

Go Sainters Go
Club Player

RECORD - 32,343 Members so far.
Well done Sainters.

Once a "Saint" always a trueblooded "Saint"
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

VietNam_Saint wrote:How very strange that we never sold a kids jumper yet Hawthorn sells nothing but kids jumpers. :shock: :roll:

DOH !!!
Hawthorn must have a marketing genius.
as an adult you tend to buy 1 jumper and hang on to it for years.
any parent will tell you that $50 jumper is outgrown in 12 months time.
5,000x100=500,000
vs
8,000x50x3=1,200,000

Seeya
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Record Membership is a fantastic achievement;

SPECIAL THANKS TO THE VOLUNTEERS IN THE MEMBERSHIP DEPT

They do what they do for the love of the club !!

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

According to an email I just received from the Club if you are a Social Club Member, if St Kilda is playing in the Grand Final you will be entitled to purchase A Grand Final Ticket for each Social CLub Membership you have.

There are currently only 500 Social Club Memberships still available and must be purchased before June 30.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:According to an email I just received from the Club if you are a Social Club Member, if St Kilda is playing in the Grand Final you will be entitled to purchase A Grand Final Ticket for each Social CLub Membership you have.

There are currently only 500 Social Club Memberships still available and must be purchased before June 30.
less than 500 - just upped the membership from Sideline to 11 games AND 2 social club memberships (Adult and Child)

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!