That Loss Really Hurt the Blues...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

That Loss Really Hurt the Blues...

A family member works with someone heavily involved with the Carlton FC. They were at a party after the match on Friday and Kruzer was in tears at the party because they had lost. (Little dumb founded that they actually believed they would win as the Saints had all the answers, even though they did put up a good fight).

This is not to take the mickey out of Kruzer, but is more to point out how important that win on Friday night was to us. Whether we win by 4 or 100, every win is important. Just ask the opposition......

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

I heard (On radio, I think) that Carlton had set themselves for this game for a number of weeks. It was probably their best game (collectively) for the year !!

walski
Club Player

Its says a lot of our boys too. A lot of saints sides of the past 10 year even 2008 side would have packed up shop big time and drop that game. But the fight is there which gives a lot of joy to this supporter.

St kilda is finally becoming the hunted not chasing. The hate from other supporters is starting to show which make me reassured that the club is on the right track. 8-)

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

I think it speaks volumes on how far we have come and what it means if a team is able to beat us. We are NOT the easy beats of the competition anymore.

Can't wait for the second half of the season. Already to rock and roll already for that first game at the dome against Richmond.

fingers
Saintsational Legend

Carlton were as good as they can get on Friday - we still have lots of upside. Great win by the boys.

walski
Club Player

fingers wrote:Carlton were as good as they can get on Friday - we still have lots of upside. Great win by the boys.
Agreed

The side has lot of good up and coming people no doubt and chucked everything bar the sink at us.

Go Sainters Go
Club Player

Controlled win by the Sainters, we were never headed and only played to 75% capacity - Kosi, Milne, Sam Fisher, Bally, Geary, McEvoy, Bakes and maybe one or two others were well down on their normal performance.
So Carlscum are not as good as they think they are :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Once a "Saint" always a trueblooded "Saint"
StSteven
Club Player

A long way haead of themselves if they were confident they could win. Typical of the arrogant pr**ks!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

StSteven wrote:A long way haead of themselves if they were confident they could win. Typical of the arrogant pr**ks!
You'd think they go into a game against the top side thinking they would lose wouldnt you.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

The fact that they nearly killed their captain and champion in trying to win demonstrates how badly they wanted it. the loss will have deflated them.

with a bit of luck they will miss the finals

OneEyedSainter77
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
StSteven wrote:A long way haead of themselves if they were confident they could win. Typical of the arrogant pr**ks!
You'd think they go into a game against the top side thinking they would lose wouldnt you.
Don't be ridiculous mate, surely you of all people know that logic and common sense simply aren't welcomed on this forum. :roll:

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Exactly Plugger.

Why would a team go into a game thinking they were going to lose?

I would be mortified to think our teams of 2002-03 were just going along without thinking they had a hope of winning.

Reality check needed here sometimes I think.
Last edited by SENsei on Mon 15 Jun 2009 4:37pm, edited 1 time in total.

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

OneEyedSainter77 wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Don't be ridiculous mate, surely you of all people know that logic and common sense simply aren't welcomed on this forum. :roll:
Humour..........Not nastiness, but plugger forgets to put the :wink: in occasionally !!

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:I heard (On radio, I think) that Carlton had set themselves for this game for a number of weeks. It was probably their best game (collectively) for the year !!
Absolute fact that Carlton set this game as one of the big games of the year at the beginning of the season.

ratten has rabbitted on about it for months. Wanting to test themselves against the best - wanting to break the losing streak - blah blah blah.

Set themselves like no other game this season - like a final - and come away very short.

Never got in front once the Saints goaled, always catch up.

Saints could have easily dropped the game. 11-0, almost certain to be top four if not 2, looking forward to the break etc, however they would not give up, they wanted the win and badly.

This Saints team would have turned it up in previous years and it would have been a great Carlton victory.

Carlton played it like a GF and lost. We wanted to get to halfway undefeated and won in the fashion of a complete team.

Zac kicking that clutch goal, with all the pressure on him, the scoreboard, the crowd, the time on the clock, the fact he is a backman, the fact he was pilloried as hopeless and would never make an AFL player. This is the essence of this team.

Fevola and Houlihan are the essence of a Carlton team - choking when the game was there to be won - punching well above its weight and getting found out.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
SaintHomer
Club Player

contrary to some, i think carlton will get a lot more out of the match than the saints.

we have blown them away in the past, and i was thinking after 10 minutes we were going to do the same. they will now believe that they can match it with us which could be dangerous.

and from our side, our boys confidence would have been rocked a little and will now have in the back of their minds that the blue boys are a threat. that confidence is critical to us in the finals.

maybe i'm just being negative... and maybe that comes from too many years and too many disappointments. that is just my take.

friday night they should never have been close. goals with 10seconds to go in the first & third quarters to them (the second from the turnover and 50) kept the b@stards in it.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

SaintHomer wrote:contrary to some, i think carlton will get a lot more out of the match than the saints.

we have blown them away in the past, and i was thinking after 10 minutes we were going to do the same. they will now believe that they can match it with us which could be dangerous.

and from our side, our boys confidence would have been rocked a little and will now have in the back of their minds that the blue boys are a threat. that confidence is critical to us in the finals.

maybe i'm just being negative... and maybe that comes from too many years and too many disappointments. that is just my take.

friday night they should never have been close. goals with 10seconds to go in the first & third quarters to them (the second from the turnover and 50) kept the b@stards in it.
A few years back we had a close one against them...last year they fought up til pretty close to the end, so they haven't been a push-over for years.

You're probably right, they would have taken a lot from the game, but then, we didn't really have much to prove by beating them...hope they enjoy their narrow loss and anything they can get out of it.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

SaintHomer wrote: friday night they should never have been close. goals with 10seconds to go in the first & third quarters to them (the second from the turnover and 50) kept the b@stards in it.
so what you are saying that with a fraction more luck it would have been a 3 goal + win. :wink:

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
SaintHomer
Club Player

joffaboy wrote:
SaintHomer wrote: friday night they should never have been close. goals with 10seconds to go in the first & third quarters to them (the second from the turnover and 50) kept the b@stards in it.
so what you are saying that with a fraction more luck it would have been a 3 goal + win. :wink:
haha, yeah. i always cringe at those goals in the last few seconds when we've had a good quarter. there was two of them friday night. give em nothing i say.

a 19 point lead going into the last has a way better feel that a 13 point lead.

SaintHomer
Club Player

degruch wrote:
SaintHomer wrote:contrary to some, i think carlton will get a lot more out of the match than the saints.

A few years back we had a close one against them...last year they fought up til pretty close to the end, so they haven't been a push-over for years.

You're probably right, they would have taken a lot from the game, but then, we didn't really have much to prove by beating them...hope they enjoy their narrow loss and anything they can get out of it.
understand what you are saying, but i just think of the great sides of the past 10 years, namely lions and the cats. they are/were supremely confident, so much so that they had lots of sides beaten before they were even on the park. you could tell their opposition were deflated as soon as they were a few goals down, and never confident even if a few goals up.

i want the saints to be like that come finals time.

or am i just being greedy? :D

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

It's great they are hurting, they deserve it and have deserved the hurt over the last 6 years or so.
Why should it stop now?
It's a shame we didn't pump them but on the bright side , we gave them hope :P

degruch
Saintsational Legend

SaintHomer wrote:
degruch wrote:

understand what you are saying, but i just think of the great sides of the past 10 years, namely lions and the cats. they are/were supremely confident, so much so that they had lots of sides beaten before they were even on the park. you could tell their opposition were deflated as soon as they were a few goals down, and never confident even if a few goals up.

i want the saints to be like that come finals time.

or am i just being greedy? :D
Well, you are Saint Homer...mmmmm...victory...grlgrlgrlgrlg.

Yes, but Carlton think they're great...they go into every game thinking they're fantastic, remembering the overloaded silver cabinet in the club foyer, then go away disappointed that they lost. In this case, to a team they haven't beaten for the best part of a decade!

Essendon surprised themselves, the Lions were suffering from the same dillusion Carlton were, due to their coaches internal mind games. The biggest victim of their own lack of confidence in recent times has been Fremantle, closely followed by us.

Milton66
SS Life Member

Re: That Loss Really Hurt the Blues...

saint75 wrote:A family member works with someone heavily involved with the Carlton FC. They were at a party after the match on Friday and Kruzer was in tears at the party because they had lost. (Little dumb founded that they actually believed they would win as the Saints had all the answers, even though they did put up a good fight).

This is not to take the mickey out of Kruzer, but is more to point out how important that win on Friday night was to us. Whether we win by 4 or 100, every win is important. Just ask the opposition......
Pity it wasn't captured on film and posted on YouTube. It would give their scumbag supporters something to contemplate given the shyte they give Roo for being "soft" and a sook. :twisted:

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
St DAC
SS Hall of Fame

Eastern wrote:Humour..........Not nastiness, but plugger forgets to put the :wink: in occasionally !!
Or any form of punctuation really :wink:

StSteven
Club Player

Maybe they treated this game like we will be against the Cats ! !! ! !