Maguire could be another star for us

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

James
Club Player

Maguire could be another star for us

I'm not one to rag on Blake. He's been very solid this year and part of the reason we have the best defense in the league. I believe he's done everything necessary to hold his spot in the team and is a crucial element of our side.

But lets rewind to the GT Saints era, when Maguire was playing his best football. We often forget how good he was - he was a star, really. He was regarded among the most talented kids we had coming through. Dal Santo, Ball, Riewoldt, Koschitzke, Maguire they'd say, or something along those lines.

If he gets his fitness together, he might be able to play at that standard again. As consistent and solid Blake is, there is only one game in my memory he has outright dominated and starred in, and that was against Hawthorn last year. Magiure, at that level, may be another star player for us, capable of dominating or controlling games as a key back in defense. I don't underrate Blake, he's a good player and his consistency is valuable, but Maguire could be another crucial element in making our side so powerful.

So, if Maguire comes around, I'd seriously like to see him holding down CHB like the good old days. It could drag us right over the line to a flag.

Brendon Goddard - 2012 Premiership Captain
kaos theory
Club Player

I'd like to get goose back in.....maybe in place of blake.

He was very good at times (04 & 05), but I think he is sometimes a little over rated. Prior to his injury he wasn't playing great footy.

Also, after all this leg trouble, he woul have lost some pace, and he wasn't that quick anyway, but he does have strengh, good overhead & booming kick.

Be interesting to see how he goes back at the top level...

howlinwolf
Club Player

While I'm not certain he can get back into a fully fit side I would welcome
his sure marking in the backline.

If it's one thing that annoys me lately is the way our defenders punch or
double fist the ball instead of marking. Usually when they are under no
pressure.

I don't get why there's no talking and the mark taken ?

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

The problem I see for MacGuire is:

a) Will he be as good as he was after that horrific leg break? Look at what happened to Nathan Brown and his career after his leg break.

b) Where do you put him - defense or up forward? If you do find a spot for him, who in the team loses their spot?

Can't see anyone in the team currently being dropped and I still think Gwilt was really unlucky to lose his spot. He would have to be pushing for a place in our team for the game in 2 weeks time.

hotdish
Club Player

I would bring him in to ruck next game - He would do a similar or better job that McEvoy would. Richmond rucks are pretty average(young) so its a good opportunity to give him a game.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

hotdish wrote:I would bring him in to ruck next game - He would do a similar or better job that McEvoy would. Richmond rucks are pretty average(young) so its a good opportunity to give him a game.
Ruck?

He hasn't been rucking at Sandy, why would you even think he would in the big league?

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
James
Club Player

Him? Rucking? Umm isn't he 190cm? :?

Brendon Goddard - 2012 Premiership Captain
#1GILL
SS Hall of Fame

James wrote:Him? Rucking? Umm isn't he 190cm? :?

Ross Lyon has already stated on 'on the couch' that Matt may be used as a ruckman who roams around the ground getting a few touches....

This could be handy, Gards as our first ruck doing what he does, then Matt to help him out when he is tired, and when gards is rucking Matt can go back and sure up the defence

I think Matt is very close to getting a game, as it seems Ross Lyon rates him highly

Pwoit
Saintsational Legend

He used to pinch hit a few times like Blake has done before.
Saw him play 2 weeks ago and is looking very solid.

Would be chance to have a game against Richmond and rest somone?

But hard to know who would make way?

Saintersss
Club Player

saint75 wrote:The problem I see for MacGuire is:

a) Will he be as good as he was after that horrific leg break? Look at what happened to Nathan Brown and his career after his leg break.
Nathan Brown was heading towards the end of his career after he broke his leg, Maguire is 24/25 so still has plenty of time to get back to his best.

aussierules0k
Saintsational Legend

Last edited by aussierules0k on Tue 23 Jun 2009 1:12am, edited 1 time in total.

5 prelims in 7 years. 40 wins from 49 games.
2009 and 2010 were 2 of the 5 best years ever by the St.Kilda FC.
Thanks for all your efforts Saints.
bigmicka
Club Player

howlinwolf wrote: If it's one thing that annoys me lately is the way our defenders punch or
double fist the ball instead of marking. Usually when they are under no
pressure.

I don't get why there's no talking and the mark taken ?
It is a directive by the coach. If you take the mark and kick it out of defensive 50, it gives the opportunity for the opposition to rebound with our defenders out of position.

The stoppage allows our players to reset who their opponents are and gives us a better chance of clearing the ball. It is all about structure.

mic

No one ever built a statue for a critic.
rexy
SS Life Member

Agree with the OP, Maguires up side is way bigger than Blakes, only way to find out is to give him a game.

Maybe this year?
AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

kaos theory wrote:I'd like to get goose back in.....maybe in place of blake.

He was very good at times (04 & 05), but I think he is sometimes a little over rated. Prior to his injury he wasn't playing great footy.
He seemed to really lose his confidence after Hall punched him in the stomach in the 2005 Prelim, but before that he was going brilliantly. And how old was he in 2004/2005? 20 and 21. How many blokes do that well in a key position at that age? Only the very best. The likes of Franklin and Roughead are about the only ones who have in the years since.
Goose looked to me like he was going to be the dominant CHB in the league for the next 10 years, at that stage, almost as good as Jakovich was there before him. He was strong overhead, and in one on one contests, including against Johnathan Brown (when he was at his peak). And I'm sure we all remember Goose peeling off his man to intercept marks, or go back with the flight of the ball. Then there was his dodging and weaving around blokes, followed by his 60m kicks over the lines, or the "don't argue's" followed by a booming kick. Then there was the game where he kicked 4 goals from CHB. How many blokes do that, especially that young?
He may have lost some speed due to his injury, but I doubt he'd be any slower than the aforementioned J Blake.
It's a pity Ross didn't see more of him when he was at his peak, as he'd probably be in the seniors right now, if he had. I hope he really takes his chance, if he gets back in this year.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
yipper
SS Life Member

Re: Maguire could be another star for us

[quote="James"]I'm not one to rag on Blake. quote]

Nah, just our captain!! Why rag on Blake when you can slag off at our captain?? You really should stay away from here for awhile.

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

James. Although I would love for my man Goose to come back in at the expense of nearly anyone, I can not take anything you say seriously after having a crack at Roo.

halcyon

Another Maguire fan club meeting.....Look when Maguire plays exceptionally well in reserves and Blake plays exceptionally poorly in the seniors, Maguire will get his chance. Blake has been solid this year (and the last 2 years) and played well last night...he deserves his spot based on merit.

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

What did James say about Roo?

Pwoit
Saintsational Legend

n1ck wrote:What did James say about Roo?
Here Nick

http://www.saintsational.com/forum/view ... hp?t=52990

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Gotta be careful adding players like Goose.....

If the main question about StKilda relates to their lack of pace,you wouldn't want to include Goose just so that you can prove the question correct......

Season 2024 is where RTB is showing the footy world his grasp of the modern game. :shock:
chook23
Saintsational Legend

Re: Maguire could be another star for us

yipper wrote:
James wrote:I'm not one to rag on Blake. quote]

Nah, just our captain!! Why rag on Blake when you can slag off at our captain?? You really should stay away from here for awhile.
spot on

saint4life
battye
Saintsational Legend

McEvoy for Maguire at some stage might not be the worst switch.

McEvoy isn't really adding much right now, and nobody else deserves to be dropped.

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

I'd like to phone a friend before committing...

saintjake thanks Eddie...

note the time he made the call...

http://www.saintsational.com/forum/view ... hp?t=52989

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote:Gotta be careful adding players like Goose..... If the main question about StKilda relates to their lack of pace,you wouldn't want to include Goose just so that you can prove the question correct......
well he's slowish, but not by ruckman standards. wouldn't be that surprised to see him get a run as second ruck if mcevoy doesn't really grab his chance.

or blake being asked to do it.

VietNam_Saint
Club Player

Definatly , give Goose a run in the Richmond game.

Bloke had played some decent footy and would like to see if he turns it on at AFL level.

I think Mac out to let him in

What will be next from this club ?