Blues game...a few thoughts.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

In no particular order:

* Schneider is a very good TEAM player. Was exceptional tonight. Often set up his team-mates

* Ben is not ready yet.

* Kosi is brilliant contested pack mark....but when he tries the one on one body on body stuff even ordinary FBs can beat him. Must keep moving...and not stand and wrestle.

* 3 Tall forwards more often than not is a bad idea. Tonight showed this again..as we tried to play Roo, Kosi and one of rucks asa forward for too much of the game. Gwilt may not have been excelling...but the forward line works better with a medium forward and not 3 tall forwards. May not bring Gwilt back..but if not BJ.

* Geary is starting to lapse...maybe now is the time to swap hi with Armo?

* Ball, such a shame that all cannot kick further.

* Thought tonight we player two much the Blues game plan rather than our own.

* Was good that we again showed that we can surge back when challenged.

* Baker is a worry. Can still spoil but his decision making is poor and hesitant. Problem is we really lack another small backman. Miles?

* Zac, Blake and Max is one too many in the backline.

* Zac has surprised me greatly this year. He was good tonight.

* Gram is running into some good forward. He was very good tonight.

* Joey is a star.

* Best I have sen the Blues play against us for a long time. So still a good win..but not an excellent one.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

I will add..

* Roo is a certified superstar..

* Sam Fisher played his worst game for 4 years

* Great to see Schneider step up when Milney had a quiet one (not 100%)

* Sam Gilbert and Jason Gram...both very very good

* Us getting first hands at the clearances rested with Gardy being the ruckman. Mac was towelled

* The amount of adulation poured at Judd every time he came back on made me want to vomit

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

agree with all, cept clearances, thought we got beaten in those, anyone got a stat ?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:I will add..

* Roo is a certified superstar..

* Sam Fisher played his worst game for 4 years

* Great to see Schneider step up when Milney had a quiet one (not 100%)

* Sam Gilbert and Jason Gram...both very very good

* Us getting first hands at the clearances rested with Gardy being the ruckman. Mac was towelled

* The amount of adulation poured at Judd every time he came back on made me want to vomit
I think the reason for the Judd thing is because he is a superstar.

felixleo
Club Player

Interesting on the Kosi wrestling as James Hird wrote that he thought Kosi could beat Scarlett one out by planting his feet.

Are you gonna be the one?
saint75
SS Hall of Fame

My thoughts, tired and need a break. A few deficiencies, but nothing that can't be fixed by a 16 day break.

On Ben, I thought he was serviceable tonight. Not elite like King or Gardiner, but he will be, will just take time and more importantly, game time.

Thought your criticism of Bakes was a bit harsh. Actually thought he played better tonight than he has for a few weeks.

Zac = BRILLIANT - gets better with every game. Kicked an important goal tonight when needed.

Kudos to Max. Towelled up Fev again tonight.

Geary - young body and is tired. Watch him after the 2 week break.

Impressed with Blake. Will play an important role with King out for another 3 weeks.

Don't be so critical. They have played with a high level of intensity for 12 weeks. Can you say the same for the Blues over the last 12 weeks? We need a breather and will get one for the next 16 days and will rebound after the break.

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

Wasn't at the game, but does anyone know if BJ was crook?

Several times on TV I thought he looked extra pale in the face and unwell.

SaintDippa
Club Player

Interesting to watch the treatment of Roo. Was it only me who thought Bower spent the entire evening chopping his arms?

IMO he should have received a dozen frees.

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

SaintDippa wrote:Interesting to watch the treatment of Roo. Was it only me who thought Bower spent the entire evening chopping his arms?

IMO he should have received a dozen frees.
Seems to have faded a bit, that rule.

F_Q_F
Club Player

And Montagna and Hayes are just class. Montagna has taken it to the next level this year and probably more importantly he is playing well consistently.

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

Umpires have thrown out the rule book in the last 2-3 weeks it seems. However, if you listen to Carlton supporters on the radio after the game, you would think they lost the game because poor old Fev was hard done by in regards to free kicks tonight.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

I thought the reason we didn't win comfortably was that we just didn't cope well with a bit of pressure. Too many dropped marks, slipped tackles and fumbles at ground level cost us.

Unfortunately for Geary I think he has had it. It's a young body that has been through 12 weeks of the most exhausting footy ever played and he's fizzled out. Maybe the break is just what he needs, but I think we might have seen the best form of his season already.

McEvoy is about where he should be in his development, but still not AFL level. King is definitely in our best team. If McEvoy is worn out or struggling after the Geelong game I'd like to see Stanley given one match before King's return.

Blake is no longer needed for matchups in the backline and has no other spot. He's been a great, consistent servant for 5 years but is no longer in our best 22. He isn't bad, but is just a bit behind the rest in terms of skills and judgement.

Gwilt or Lynch should be in the side. We need another marking option up forward who can apply some defensive pressure.

Baker is the toughest, most determined player we have, but lacks pace, size and skill. I don't see him being in too much trouble this year, but once Dempster has a pre season under his belt I don't think Bakes has a place in the side.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:I thought the reason we didn't win comfortably was that we just didn't cope well with a bit of pressure. Too many dropped marks, slipped tackles and fumbles at ground level cost us.

Unfortunately for Geary I think he has had it. It's a young body that has been through 12 weeks of the most exhausting footy ever played and he's fizzled out. Maybe the break is just what he needs, but I think we might have seen the best form of his season already.

McEvoy is about where he should be in his development, but still not AFL level. King is definitely in our best team. If McEvoy is worn out or struggling after the Geelong game I'd like to see Stanley given one match before King's return.

Blake is no longer needed for matchups in the backline and has no other spot. He's been a great, consistent servant for 5 years but is no longer in our best 22. He isn't bad, but is just a bit behind the rest in terms of skills and judgement.

Gwilt or Lynch should be in the side. We need another marking option up forward who can apply some defensive pressure.

Baker is the toughest, most determined player we have, but lacks pace, size and skill. I don't see him being in too much trouble this year, but once Dempster has a pre season under his belt I don't think Bakes has a place in the side.
Just a couple of things. Have you even seen Lynch play because if you have he is a bit off. Agree geary's last 2 weeks have struggled but we now have a bye so unless there is an unknown injury there definately will not be a change for the next game.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Iceman234 wrote:Wasn't at the game, but does anyone know if BJ was crook? Several times on TV I thought he looked extra pale in the face and unwell.
he copped an extremely heavy knock early on and looked totally out of it when he came off. it was one of many things that fell carlton's way ... until juddy broke his nose.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Just a couple of things. Have you even seen Lynch play because if you have he is a bit off. Agree geary's last 2 weeks have struggled but we now have a bye so unless there is an unknown injury there definately will not be a change for the next game.
Have only seen Lynch play for Sandy a few times but have liked what I've seen. He's got a way to go, but has neat skills and a good footy brain. He often only needs 10 or so touches in a game to contribute 4 or 5 goals. However the defensive pressure may not be where Ross would expect of a senior player.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Just a couple of things. Have you even seen Lynch play because if you have he is a bit off. Agree geary's last 2 weeks have struggled but we now have a bye so unless there is an unknown injury there definately will not be a change for the next game.
Have only seen Lynch play for Sandy a few times but have liked what I've seen. He's got a way to go, but has neat skills and a good footy brain. He often only needs 10 or so touches in a game to contribute 4 or 5 goals. However the defensive pressure may not be where Ross would expect of a senior player.
Has he kicked 4 or 5 goals this year?

The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

Never, ever regard the swine flu like opinions of the ex-local high school hack, Mr P66, as anything other than complete and utter dross.

Or, to put that another way, Plugger66 is a tosser.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

Hi Plug, I'm back. Be very, very scared - 'cos you know and I know, I am in your head.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

The OtherThommo wrote:Hi Plug, I'm back. Be very, very scared - 'cos you know and I know, I am in your head.
Yes I have noted you only come on this late at night when you hope no one will doubt you crap opinions. You cant handle conflict can you.

reincarnated

The OtherThommo wrote:Never, ever regard the swine flu like opinions of the ex-local high school hack, Mr P66, as anything other than complete and utter dross.

Reincarnated is going to stick up for a fellow saintsationalist and tell you to watch your mouth young man

No point in saying anyone is a tosser mate

Moron

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

reincarnated wrote:
The OtherThommo wrote:Never, ever regard the swine flu like opinions of the ex-local high school hack, Mr P66, as anything other than complete and utter dross.

Reincarnated is going to stick up for a fellow saintsationalist and tell you to watch your mouth young man

Moron
You got that right about him. He actually has no idea so he attacks the man.

reincarnated

plugger66 wrote:
reincarnated wrote:

Moron
You got that right about him. He actually has no idea so he attacks the man.
I will attack you if you don't go to bed young man

Milton66
SS Life Member

Yep, I must have missed how good Lynch has been.

If you want a medium fwd, it's Jimmy.

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

After 15 hours on the blower with the ASX, APRA, the ATO and the broker this week arguing the SMSF case, you are but a morsel, you disgracefully self serving toerag.

The thing I find so uplifting is your incessant babbling - 'cos I think to myself, how in the fruit does this imbecile convince himself he is important?

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

You have email if you want to insult each other. The rest of us want to bask in the 12 straight wins this year and 12 straight wins against Carlton, :D