Official TEAM vs Carlton

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Sobraz
SS Life Member

Well, Gwilts ommision should please alot of posters on this board... Personally, i am a fan, but its hard to think who else to drop... Probably a fair call...

Pretty much like for like changes... Ruck, back and forward for the same...

we will have to be well down to let this one slip... The team looks powerful on every line...

I think BJ will float forward... This will be hard for the blues to stop... 5 forwards who are all capable of kicking a bag and quickly...

Love seeing Gilbo back to sure up the defence also... Adds strength and assertiveness that Raph wasnt able to produce...
Last edited by Sobraz on Thu 11 Jun 2009 6:23pm, edited 2 times in total.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Very surprised to see Gwilt go after his best game for the season, however it will probably be a good thing in the long run, I don't see him in our best 22.

Armitage and King to come in for Mac and McQualter would be the only other changes I would expect to see this season (assuming all goes according to plan)

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
starsign
Club Player

Great 22!!
Arguably our strongest for the year so far ......
just what we need to flog those Bluebraggin B!@#$%^ds!
Like the Pies they won't know whats hit them!!

And bad luck Jimbo M8, you've done well and are very stiff to be dropped
Raph has to get his September form back for mine, and had to go for Gilbo

Gee I can't get out of that rhyming habit at the moment...

but get into the limerick comp folks its a hoot and you could win something Saintsational !)
Armitage and King to come in for Mac and McQualter would be the only other changes I would expect to see this season (assuming all goes according to plan)
Armo has a lot of catching up to do to replace Mini , who has plenty of the right credits in the bank at presen IMHO !!
Last edited by starsign on Thu 11 Jun 2009 6:31pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

I was fairly skeptical of the backline once again Blake Max Dawson, especially with Gwilt going out....Thought it would create an imbalance of one dimensional defenders against forwards.....

But looking at the Carlton team they have Sentanta, Fevola and the rotating Kruzer/Hampson duo....Should have them covered.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Armoooo wrote:Very surprised to see Gwilt go after his best game for the season, however it will probably be a good thing in the long run, I don't see him in our best 22.

I reckon you're undervaluing Mini there. He was very good last week and has really turned himself into an effective part of our mid-field. Hard at it, in and under and doesn't butcher it when he gets it.

starsign
Club Player

Spinner wrote:I was fairly skeptical of the backline once again Blake Max Dawson, especially with Gwilt going out....Thought it would create an imbalance of one dimensional defenders against forwards.....

But looking at the Carlton team they have Sentanta, Fevola and the rotating Kruzer/Hampson duo....Should have them covered.

i'm pretty sure they all won't line up like that down the back , and blind freddy would probably agree Love the work Ray does for us lately running out of there for one , and there's a hell of a lot of flexibility/adaptability in that 22 regardless of how they are named
It's about playing draughts with the cattle you have on the day to match the requirements ...and when you look at this 22 I recon its the most talented Sainter lineup I've ever seen in that regard!!

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

Well I'll eat my shorts.

All the people who said Gwilt would be dropped for a fit Milne were right, so I stand corrected.

I will point out though - it's an interesting precedent. The first time this year that any from the R1 starting 22 has been dropped for performance rather than injury or suspension.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Sobraz wrote:Well, Gwilts ommision should please alot of posters on this board.
it brings me no joy, but i can see why it has happened.

max's return means probably one too many tallish defenders and the guys who would have had to go out - blake, dawson or max himself - are ahead of jimmy.

i'm thinking that one of gilbert, blake or dawson will play gwilt's usual role this week.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

InkerSaint wrote:The first time this year that any from the R1 starting 22 has been dropped for performance rather than injury or suspension.
eddy was dropped for structure and i think you'll find this is similar (see post above).

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote:
Armoooo wrote:Very surprised to see Gwilt go after his best game for the season, however it will probably be a good thing in the long run, I don't see him in our best 22.

I reckon you're undervaluing Mini there. He was very good last week and has really turned himself into an effective part of our mid-field. Hard at it, in and under and doesn't butcher it when he gets it.
IMO it all comes down to attitude, Mini is in the team for his work ethic.

He tackles, he chases and he isn't afraid to get hurt.

IMO Armitage is a far more talented player and if he applied himself could be a superior player to Mini, tackling, chasing, harrassing and going hard at the ball are things that everyone is capable of, it just comes down to your state of mind. If Armo could get himself into that state of mind he could easily play Mini's role and be more damaging offensively.

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Happy with that team - we have a number of decent fringe players like gwilt, raph, armo, mini, eddy, geary, mcevoy - some have to make way when our best players are available. Nice that we have them as back up and nice that most have done the job consistently when asked. Would put dawson into that category depending on who we play, but he deserves his spot at the mo.
Even deeper depth coming when maguire and dempster get some game time.
You'd expect gwilt to play if milne doesn't come up, and probably raph for gilbert.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
stinger
Saintsational Legend

desertsaint wrote:Happy with that team - we have a number of decent fringe players like gwilt, raph, armo, mini, eddy, geary, mcevoy - some have to make way when our best players are available. Nice that we have them as back up and nice that most have done the job consistently when asked. Would put dawson into that category depending on who we play, but he deserves his spot at the mo.
Even deeper depth coming when maguire and dempster get some game time.
You'd expect gwilt to play if milne doesn't come up, and probably raph for gilbert.

me too....very strong side......gwilt a bit stiff...raph less so.......

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

I'm pretty sure that Milne kicked 5 goals straight when we played Carlton last, so he is a great inclusion.

The Carlton team does not seem to have the forward power to kick goals and have gone for a more defensive side with the inclusion of Bannister for a forward in Brad Fisher.

The way I'm thinking is that Carlton think that their only chance is to go defensive

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:me too....very strong side......gwilt a bit stiff...raph less so.......
agree

Mr X from the West
Club Player

InkerSaint wrote:Well I'll eat my shorts.

All the people who said Gwilt would be dropped for a fit Milne were right, so I stand corrected.

I will point out though - it's an interesting precedent. The first time this year that any from the R1 starting 22 has been dropped for performance rather than injury or suspension.
What about R Clarke?

"Blow out the candle I will burn again tomorrow"
bigred
Saintsational Legend

VERY strong team.

VERY.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Longwayfromhome
Club Player

Gwilt will play.

Leave your ego's in the locker when you start and pick them up again when you retire
thehandbrake
Club Player

Reckon Gwilt is a bit stiff, but you can't argue with the 3 inclusions. Looks a very strong side on paper.

Are we missing something in the forward line though? Milne and Schneider should both definitely be in the team, but Gwilt offered that mid-sized lead up option that always provided a contest.

I guess Goddard will possibly play forward a little more. He is a great option when we have that flexibility.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

BEST team for the year...

All 3 ins are better than the outs...

This team though is better than any of the previous 11 picked.

Add to this as well that both Roo and Schneider started the year not fully fit and you get our best team this year.

Possibly we have one two many tall slow defenders with so so footskills....but none the less this is a better team than any yet picked.

The Blues are going to find it very hard to win.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:BEST team for the year...

Add to this as well that both Roo and Schneider started the year not fully fit and you get our best team this year.

Possibly we have one two many tall slow defenders with so so footskills....but none the less this is a better team than any yet picked.

and hard to kick a decent score...

O’hAilpin CHF lol..

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Just quietly how handy is our back six?

Even more so, how handy is our back THREE!!!??

Plenty of size to counter Fev, plenty of run for the inevitable spilt ball, and plenty of knuckle from No 10 to curb whatever fleas they choose to run forward.

Really like this side.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

St Fidelius wrote:

O’hAilpin CHF lol..
Why would you even comment on where they are named. Lenny hasnt kicked a lot of goals for a FP this year.
Last edited by plugger66 on Thu 11 Jun 2009 8:10pm, edited 1 time in total.

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

I also Jimmy is a bit stiff, but the consolation for him is that if anyone slips up, or doesn't perform to par, he will take their place.
Quietly confident tomorrow night, just got a feeling we may put in a big one tomorrow night.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
Baldock Rules
Club Player

Thinline wrote:Just quietly how handy is our back six?

Even more so, how handy is our back THREE!!!??

Plenty of size to counter Fev, plenty of run for the inevitable spilt ball, and plenty of knuckle from No 10 to curb whatever fleas they choose to run forward.

Really like this side.
Agree .This is for mine the best team on Paper this year..perhaps Kingy for Macca but not much in it.Depends of course on the fitness of Gilbert and Milne.Gwilt stiff but good players get dropped for good players.Gilbert must get the nod ahead of Jimi.Blake and Bakes saved by matchups.

Happy on selection night :)

There are freaks and freaks and Baldock was both of those.
St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
St Fidelius wrote:

O’hAilpin CHF lol..
Why would you even comment on where they are named. Lenny hasnt kicked a lot of goals for a FP this year.
because O'hAipin played up forward last week