NSW Scholarship Program

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

henno
Club Player

NSW Scholarship Program

RE: Taylor Walker & Khan Haretuke

Both KPP's recruited through this system around the same time.

Why have we gone and drafted this absolute spud, who will most likely never play a senior AFL game, while Walker has done quite well in his first AFL season, booting 5 on the weekend in a half.

goodie
Club Player

Because it's a scholarship scheme. You've gotta remember, some of these kids are picked out at 15/16, and as such are a lot more hit-and-miss than regular draftees.

Besides, one game does not a player make.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Walker will be a super player, he is needed to become a superstar for Adelaide's future.

That's just how it goes, it's like asking why didn't we take Cox, Sandilands, Foley, Kirk etc. on the rookie list, it's easy with hindsight...

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
henno
Club Player

yeah true, but did khan's still languishing in the sandy 2nds...there is a world of difference between them!

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Didn't we look at Khan as a long term gamble for a ruck position at a time when our ruck stocks were bare? If we didn't have Roo & Kosi perhaps we may have looked at that area. Still no guarantees, a lot more miss than hit with this program. Hopefully the likes of Duncan (?) and Murphy will make up for that miss.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

You are forgetting Blake McGrath. Is he showing anything yet?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: NSW Scholarship Program

henno wrote:RE: Taylor Walker & Khan Haretuke

Both KPP's recruited through this system around the same time.

Why have we gone and drafted this absolute spud, who will most likely never play a senior AFL game, while Walker has done quite well in his first AFL season, booting 5 on the weekend in a half.
You would think our recruiters would know how good these players are 2-3 years before they even play a game. Lets get rid of them.

GeorgeYoung27
Club Player

I'm pretty sure Walker is from Broken Hill, which while technically in NSW is much closer to Adelaide than Sydney or Melbourne. It's sort of cheating the system slightly as Broken Hill is a footy town (like the Riverina), while the scheme was devised for a non-footy state. So there are a couple of reasons for Walker going to Adelaide and also being a better prospect than Khan.

kosifantutti23
SS Hall of Fame

Worst thread since the one about Mitch Robinson after the Richmond Carlton game in round 1.

Furtius Quo Rdelious
Broken Hill Sainter
Club Player

Yeah Walker is a Broken Hill Lad, I think the crows had there eyes on him a long time ago. His father was a champion here. There is also 7 other kids that are on NSW scholarships. 4 with Port and 3 with Hawthorn. The town has been pretty good with producing AFL players.

snoopygirl
SS Life Member

Broken Hill Sainter wrote:Yeah Walker is a Broken Hill Lad.
Knew there was a reason I liked him. Who did he play for?

Broken Hill Sainter
Club Player

North Unfortunately. But we wont hold that against him

henno
Club Player

kosifantutti23 wrote:Worst thread since the one about Mitch Robinson after the Richmond Carlton game in round 1.
mate, i was just saying that there is a world of difference between the player that we drafted...and the one that Adelaide drafted, and that if we're investing money into this program, I would prefer to see the player playing well and not languishing in the Sandy 2's!!

goodie
Club Player

henno wrote:
kosifantutti23 wrote:Worst thread since the one about Mitch Robinson after the Richmond Carlton game in round 1.
mate, i was just saying that there is a world of difference between the player that we drafted...and the one that Adelaide drafted, and that if we're investing money into this program, I would prefer to see the player playing well and not languishing in the Sandy 2's!!
We spend money on all our players. Some turn out to be stars. Most do not. It happens. Get over it

vacuous space
SS Life Member

Is there any evidence to suggest we chose Haretuku over Walker? Unless Walker was interested in signing with us, I can't see where the club has made a mistake. Khan isn't even taking up a list spot. He's not holding some other gun kid out of the side.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
ace
Saintsational Legend

henno wrote:mate, i was just saying that there is a world of difference between the player that we drafted...and the one that Adelaide drafted, and that if we're investing money into this program, I would prefer to see the player playing well and not languishing in the Sandy 2's!!
I seem to remember that the AFL was stumping up the money for all the clubs to pay for the NSW scholarship players but that starting 2009 the clubs have to find the money themselves.

Anyone who knows for sure please correct me if I am wrong.

Haretuku is a second year rookie but is part of the bonus rookie scheme as he is a former NSW scholarship holder.
If St Kilda wish to retain him next year they must either promote him permanently to the seniors or he must first face the national draft before being rookied for only one more year as a normal rookie..

Haretuku's removal from former NSW scholarship bonus rookie status will leave space for both Josh Duncan and Ted Widner to be bonus rookies alongside McGrath.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
Shaggy
Club Player

Sandy 2nds is not a bad level coming from Sydney LOL. I doubt the op has played senior footy.

To the top
SS Life Member

Many fine footballers have come from Broken Hill, mainly to the SANFL.

Many have returned to Broken Hill from their very successful SANFL careers.

So the SA Clubs have the "inside info" on players from Broken Hill.

Walker is the latest very fine player to come from Broken Hill.

As an 18 year old he played with Norwood in 2008, lifting a very ordinary (unfortunately) side into the finals off his own boot.

That was a measure of his exciting talent - and he is going about confirming it at AFL level.

He is one out of the box, and Norwood had him for a season and now Adelaide have him.

It happens.

You do not win them all.

I mentioned on this forum last year that Adelaide had a potential champion getting experience in the SANFL.

st1
Club Player

I read some were that Josh Duncans dad was from Broken Hill and that his younger brother Aaron is a scholarship holder with Adelaide and that his grandparents still live in the hill so maybe we have a chance of getting a good one as he is in the nsw rams team this year and plays against vic metro on saturday

snoopygirl
SS Life Member

Broken Hill Sainter wrote:North Unfortunately. But we wont hold that against him
Haha, that's who my father played for, so I'm happy with that! :wink:

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

henno wrote:
The NSW Scholarship program is actually a way around the draft to encourage AFL clubs to tip development money into NSW.

You sign the player up, and then in their draft year, have the opportunity pre-draft to nominate them directly to your list - if you don't, everyone get's the opportunity to draft them. Provided nobody drafts them, you then have the opportunity to rokkie them outside your main rookie list (maximum of three).

We didn't choose Harektu "over" Walker. Adelaide unearthed and developed Walker, then gave him a list spot without anyone else ever getting a shot at him. We unearthed and developed Harektu, and have essentially gotten him without giving up a list spot.

Credit to Adelaide.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

BAM! (shhhh) wrote:

Credit to Adelaide.
Fully agree...

With Khan we struck out...but a couple of the others look to be quite likelies.

NSW Rookies are going to be alot more hit & miss that normal rookies...so one should be happy if we gain one player from it.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintly
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
BAM! (shhhh) wrote:

Credit to Adelaide.
Fully agree...

With Khan we struck out...but a couple of the others look to be quite likelies.

NSW Rookies are going to be alot more hit & miss that normal rookies...so one should be happy if we gain one player from it.
but are we doing anything more lately?

since the guy who was managing that area has moved into the saints does the saints havbe anyone else doing his job?

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

I didn't see the members email explaining that Khan was a spud & has been dropped from the list.

I also missed the memo from John Peake explaining that he chose Khan over Walker because he rated Khan higher.

FFS can people not write kids off until they at least see them! This thread comes hot on the trail of the one the other day saying that Lynch, Cahill, Steven, etc had not come on & were surely on the chopping block at season's end!

Adelaide managed to sign Walker, just as we signed Murphy & Collingwood signed that other kid (when we wanted to).

The scholarship scheme is not like the draft, clubs can basically sign kids up if the kids (and their parents) agree. Saying that we chose Khan over Walker is like saying why did we choose to sign Darryl Cox over Steve Kernahan!

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

saintly wrote:
but are we doing anything more lately?

Yes we have an excellent batch of NSW rookies....

Remember that these players are NSW rookies...not main draft choices...and so the odds of any of them making it was always low...

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....