Our list management has been outstanding since Lyon started

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Legendary wrote:If you actually read meher baba's post, it is quite balanced ... there is no implied criticism of either GT or RL ... it just goes through in quite a reasoned manner I think.

No reason to use it to further an agenda.
Ive actually read MB's post and all his previous posts with the same theme pushing the same agenda. Id suggest do some research before gobbing off.

That aside, because YOU agree with MB and have YOUR view of whats balanced - thats no official edict that the rest of us a required to adhere to.

Dont like the fact I dont think much of MBs post?

Bad luck.

“Yeah….nah””
Legendary
Club Player

You read "his previous posts with the same theme pushing the same agenda".

That's my point.

In isolation, this post was fair and balanced I thought. That's why I agreed with it.

FWIW, I thought GT screwed up our list management big time. So I generally agree with you Teflon.

But credit to MB for the balance.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

saintsRrising wrote:List management is not frittering away draft picks on overpriced trades.
If the list only needed a couple of inexpensive trades and a few lowly-rated rookies to become this good, it can't have been that bad when Lyon took over. Lyon definitely needed to fill some holes, but they weren't the kind of gaping holes that face most new coaches. Most of our current spine was in tact. He's added a couple of midfielders to a pretty solid group. The only real drastic change has been in the ruck division.

Lyon took over a good list. Right now, it looks like he and Drain turning it into a great list. I think we can appreciate the quality and depth of our current list without the need to take swipes at the previous administration. They certainly had their fair share of faults, but they put in place a bunch of key pieces while operating on a shoe string budget. You can point at early draft picks, but I think other clubs have shown that early picks don't guarantee anything.

Most of the picks we traded went on to do very little for the clubs we traded them to. Steve Salopek and James Kelly are quality players, but they wouldn't make this team a whole lot better right now. I don't think they would have put us over the line and got us a flag in previous years. It may be a state of euphoria induced by a nine-win start, but I have a hard time being critical of the process that got us to here. I'm just happy we are here.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
Milton66
SS Life Member

Legendary wrote:You read "his previous posts with the same theme pushing the same agenda".

That's my point.

In isolation, this post was fair and balanced I thought. That's why I agreed with it.

FWIW, I thought GT screwed up our list management big time. So I generally agree with you Teflon.

But credit to MB for the balance.
The thought of MB being balanced and objective, is akin to having John Howard talk about the merits of the Trade Union movement. :wink: :lol: :lol:

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

I have always said that Lyon inherited a good list..better than most coaches get to start with.
vacuous space wrote:
previous administration...

, but they put in place a bunch of key pieces while operating on a shoe string budget.
That depends which Adminstration you are talking about...Roo and company were from the Administration before the Administration of the current Administration.

As I have posted many times I think RB, GT, Waldron and others such as MK did a fantastic job early on when they were pulling together. (ie the Pre-pre-Administration)

Wheels for me fell off a few years after GT became coach. and people started pulling in different directions.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
vacuous space
SS Life Member

saintsRrising wrote:I have always said that Lyon inherited a good list..better than most coaches get to start with.
You usually say Lyon inherited a list in decline. I say if all it took was some not-too-costly trades and a couple of rookie-listers, then the list probably wasn't that far off, was it?

Yeah nah pleasing positive
James
Club Player

vacuous space wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:I have always said that Lyon inherited a good list..better than most coaches get to start with.
You usually say Lyon inherited a list in decline. I say if all it took was some not-too-costly trades and a couple of rookie-listers, then the list probably wasn't that far off, was it?
It was more than that. Ball was on the way out with injury, Dal Santo was soft and whiny, Koschitzke was a walking disaster, Blake was the fringiest of fringe players. There are other examples, but Lyon got these players back on track and developed them into the team they are today.

If Thomas was coach now, we'd be bottom four. Koschitzke would have retired, Milne would be playing at some other club, and general injuries would have ravaged us alltogether. Since he's been sacked, St Kilda has revamped the team, the list and the fitness regime. Credit is due.

Brendon Goddard - 2012 Premiership Captain
saintly
Saintsational Legend

the actual issue will be how will saints mange the list into the not so distant future.

last full draft except rookies (rookies will be taken by the GC 17 team htis year)

2010 & 2011 lack of draft and rookie players. 2012 the same 2013 SW sydney will come in, and all teams will have the same problems again for another 2-4 years.

saint08
Club Player

RL seems to get much more from Milne than GT could. GT had given up .