Tackling

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

midas_touch
Club Player

Tackling

Took a backward step today. The lions absolutely monstered us in this department (86-61), and a lot of the time we couldn't make our tackles stick, or they Brisbane players just pushed us off with ease. This raises the question about whether we can keep up our high tackling game throughout the season. What are your thoughts?

Trust the Midas Touch

"My heart is at St.Kilda, I've been here seven years, I only wanted to play for them." (Fraser Gehrig, 27/11/2007)
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Not switched on......about 15 missed tackles....

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

really fell away from our standard in all departments today

widereceiver
Club Player

Skills were crap today. WHen Lions have their two main defenders out why were our mids kicking the ball out wide to the two tall forwards?

"Winning's not everything, it's the ONLY thing!" Vince Lombardi.
Sam Gilbert #1 booster - always on the attack!!!
Win more for Winmar
clarky449
Saintsational Legend

It is obvious we are in a form slump, thankfully we are winning.

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
vacuous space
SS Life Member

The_Dud wrote:really fell away from our standard in all departments today
I disagree. Our tackling was off. Our disposal left a lot to be desired. As did our kicking at goal. We absolutely humiliated them at the stoppages (+30) and contested ball (+26) ball though. I thought the better team on the day eventually won.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
Loyal
Club Player

Re: Tackling

midas_touch wrote:Took a backward step today. The lions absolutely monstered us in this department (86-61), and a lot of the time we couldn't make our tackles stick, or they Brisbane players just pushed us off with ease. This raises the question about whether we can keep up our high tackling game throughout the season. What are your thoughts?
if a tackle is hugging an opponent and holding him while he stands then thats a tackle.
personally a tackle is taking a man to his knees.
bloody disgraceful umpiring on lenny hayes in the first quarter:
beaned standing with an opponent hugging him.

Footy Classified - NO ROOM FOR THE, who farted?
QuestionOfAccuracy
Club Player

Re: Tackling

midas_touch wrote:Took a backward step today. The lions absolutely monstered us in this department (86-61), and a lot of the time we couldn't make our tackles stick, or they Brisbane players just pushed us off with ease. This raises the question about whether we can keep up our high tackling game throughout the season. What are your thoughts?
The last two games we havn't implemented our zone in our fwd half nowhere near as effectively as the first 7 rounds. Perhaps this is partly because of Leigh Tudor's health scare and partly because we've looked a little fatigued compared to the first 7 rounds. Also, teams have now been able to analyse the way we have pressured opposition and are becoming more effective at breaking out of our fwd 50.

saintly_safes
Club Player

The boys have worked their arse off to get where their at. Teams have sussed out our game plan & tried to mix it up but so far we have had the answers .I admit the last 2 games they have looked out on their feet but they keep finding something that gets them home. As i said on another post we need to nail those early chances when the bodies are fresh & take a little bit of heat of the boys so they dont have to burn up so much energy leaving them phyically drained for the following week.Tackleing is a big energy drain & when we had the ball so often, especially in the first quarter & didnt make the most of our scoreing opportunities the energy we wasted didnt allow us to be as foused as we have been but I wouldnt be too worried just yet