Trust Ross as the Video

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Trust Ross as the Video

A lot of people are, way to early in my opinion, about our round 14 clash with Geelong.
Trust that RL has got the video of last night's game to study to see what the Bulldogs did to lose by 2 points becuase of a missed shot after the siren.
It would seem obvious that the Dogs exposed some flaws in Geelong's game, or Geelong just had a night off.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Dogs have played well againts the Cats of late: see the finals last year.

* Cats move the ball well..but if you beat them in the clearances they don't get the ball to move. Dogs midfield on-song are very good at winning clearances.

* Pressure. Dogs out-tackled the Cats. Apply pressure to the Cats and they are not so good. This is one reason why the Pies have often gone well againts the Cats.

* Last night the Cats only had Hawkins as a key forward...and he is not up to such a role at present.

*footskills and pace. On-song the Dogds are good and this limits the easy turnovers that the ctas often force and rely upon.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
SuperSaint
Club Player

Geelong's achilles heel is their forward line. Take Mooney out of the game and they lack a main focal point in their front half. Hawkins showed last night that he has a fair way to go still. Hawthorn exposed them in last year's GF and we have the talent to do the same if we maintain that fantastic run and pressure.

bungiton
SS Life Member

I think Rooke is one of the underrated guys in that side, he is all over the place, gets kicks at will it seems and always belt the ball long into attack.

Watching the Cats last night, who's game plan do you think we copied for our offensive play.

Chain of handballs, run and kick long to the top of the goal square. The Cats keep that forward fifty wide open, we tend to still allow to many players in>

I'm sorry, you've gone through all the trouble to find out what this actually says and it really is quite insignificant.
aussiejones
Club Player

So how hypothetically do we match up with the Cats ?

We are good across the centre
Our backs are stingy
Our pressure front on is good

suss
Club Player

Interesting game last night on several fronts. The result was perfect for us: Geelong get the 4 points, thus increasing our chance of a top two finish - and yet their percentage was dented at the same time.

I never would have dreamt it but they do have weaknesses. They obviously lack a big forward target without either Mooney and Ottens. Mooney is probably the key link on the half forward line.

Steve Johnston is a worry. How the hell do you stop this bloke from scoring? Having said that, if you take him down you shut down 30% of their fire power. Gilbert? Maybe not. Didn't he get smashed by SJ in the finals last year? We need an A grader here - Max? Fish?

They're also lacking in the ruck department. I thought Minson and Hudson were good last night and convincingly beat the cats' two talls. Gardiner should have a field day. If we can get first use of the ball it should nullify their key strength in Ablett and Bartlett et al.

Speed - the final area of concern for them. They clearly favour brawn over speed and it's been working for them. They rely on the pace of Ablett and Wojonski but outside of that they have plodders all over the place. Bartel, Ling, Rooke, Enright - all tough and but could be caught out for pace.

Before last night I thought they were five to ten goals ahead of us. Not to sure now.

I'm starting to get excited. Too soon?

aussiejones
Club Player

Who have they got to come back ?
Is it likely that their full strength team will correct the deficiencies?

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Must take our chances in front of goal. The Dogs were only in touch early because they were very efficient when going inside 50 and the Cats missed several very gettable set shots.

Gotta make tackles stick. Luke us in the final last year, the Bulldogs grabbed them, but still allwoed them to swing around and get handpasses away. Must CRUNCH them when tackling.

Must be aware that when a Cats player takes a mark, there is always, ALWAYS someone running past or behind for a dish off. They very rarely stop and consider their options. Get them to do that and its a big win.

Stop Mooney and Johnson and thats a long way to stopping them scoring. Hawkins is a liability up forward right now. Hard hands when marking and rarely nails set shots.

Must concentrate for 120 mins. Lapse for 15 mins, as the Dogs did twice last night and they kick 5 and its game over.

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Guys remember that there's Ottens as well as Mooney to come back... a handy duo in ne1s language

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

...and we should all remember we have another FIVE games first. There is a worrying line of getting ahead of ourselves here lately.

jackal
Club Player

iwantmeseats wrote:...and we should all remember we have another FIVE games first. There is a worrying line of getting ahead of ourselves here lately.
It's the players who should not get ahead of themselves, not the fans. Saying that last night should ermind the boys (if last week didn't) that you need you A game to win in this comp!

suss
Club Player

iwantmeseats wrote:...and we should all remember we have another FIVE games first. There is a worrying line of getting ahead of ourselves here lately.
Yes, there's much water to go under the bridge...but it's worth discussing whether they're beatable - not just in round 14 (given that it's just another 4 points), but generally speaking.

ThomasR
Club Player

Ross and SOS were at the game

saintly
Saintsational Legend

ThomasR wrote:Ross and SOS were at the game
how do you know?

tezza1
Club Player

Because if you were watching the replay you would have seen the camera pan on them , sometime in the second quarter I think

Go Sainters !!!!!
stinger
Saintsational Legend

Re: Trust Ross as the Video

3rd generation saint wrote:A lot of people are, way to early in my opinion, about our round 14 clash with Geelong.
Trust that RL has got the video of last night's game to study to see what the Bulldogs did to lose by 2 points becuase of a missed shot after the siren.
It would seem obvious that the Dogs exposed some flaws in Geelong's game, or Geelong just had a night off.

saw him at the game......along with sos....front row seats..... :wink: :lol:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
saintly
Saintsational Legend

tezza1 wrote:Because if you were watching the replay you would have seen the camera pan on them , sometime in the second quarter I think
was only listening, started watching after half time.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Geelong, Geelong, Geelong...can we, can't we...how will we, how won't they...

I know it's the topic of the moment but does anyone give a sh-t about tomorrow?

I hope we give the Lions an absolutely thumping and restore momentum after a good-without-being-great effort against Essendon.

QuestionOfAccuracy
Club Player

skeptic wrote:Guys remember that there's Ottens as well as Mooney to come back... a handy duo in ne1s language
Don't forget Milburn and possibly Byrnes. Also Gamble went off injured on friday night after looking sharp early, which totally messed up their fwd structure.

ace
Saintsational Legend

Geelong hasn't beaten a good side this year.

P.S. There is only one good side.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
Unforgiven
SS Life Member

SuperSaint wrote:Geelong's achilles heel is their forward line. Take Mooney out of the game and they lack a main focal point in their front half. Hawkins showed last night that he has a fair way to go still. Hawthorn exposed them in last year's GF and we have the talent to do the same if we maintain that fantastic run and pressure.
Spot. On.

Cut even or give their midfield a fair dinkum crack at, and their forward line can be exposed. Stevie J is an out and out freak, but from there imo the rest are workmanlike, and I fancy our defenders getting on top.

Carpe Diem