Lock this in

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Lock this in

...and bring it back in 6 weeks

I COULDN'T CARE LESS WHAT HAPPENS IN ROUND 14.

Thats right, couldn't give a stuff. Dont care (but would be OK with it) if we win by 100 points or lose by 80 (would be unhappy - but no more than any other loss).

It means absolutely nothing. It is a minor round game and thats all it is.

Last year Geelong got thrashed by Collingwood to the tune of 80 points in a H&A.

Last Year we beat Hawthorn pretty convincingly in a H&A.

However we all saw what both the Hawks and Cats did to us in the finals (and BTW in the finals we flogged the Pies who were the only team to beat Geelong in the H&A).

H&A is important ONLY for the four points (and %). If, by the time we play Geelong that neither is undefeated, neither the four points or % will matter either as they will have spot No.1 and 2 already wrapped up.

The only thing that can come from the game is if Geelong win. It will just underline their claim on the 2009 flag, where we will still have a giant question mark over our head (according to the scribes of course).

Even if we win - IMHO it means diddly squat as we wont know until we are tested in finals by geelong (or even the Hawks for that matter).

So really all the hype about R14 is so much hot air.

All it really is, is another H&A and by the looks of things the Cats and Saints will be so far ahead of the opposition that they will probably play games and not show all of their hand before the finals anyway.

So no talk about R14 until after we have completed R13 (whomever that is we play).

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
jonesy
Saintsational Legend

This is never going to happen,but if we continue to play in this mould until round 14 and are 13-0,I'd like to see us throw the match. Give them false hope going into the finals. Then in september we'll hit em so hard it'll rattle there ancestors..it'll feel like they've gone 10 rounds kissing the express train..YEAAAH!

Bring back the Lockett era
aussiejones
Club Player

We all expect to drop games this year . As long as we are not humiliated by Geelong I dont see the big deal....if anything if we loose we can slip below the radar some what and a loss will give RL some ammunition to continue our improvement with the finals in mind.

Its no big deal......but I want us to win !

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

You are quite right JB..but Id still just to knock em off..

Would take a narrow injury-free loss over a win+major injuries thats for sure

Still massively looking forward to the game regardless of our form in the next 6 weeks

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
saint75
SS Hall of Fame

aussiejones wrote:We all expect to drop games this year.
Speak for yourself. I expect us to win them all now (upto and including the GF). :D

Superboot
SS Life Member

My wife asked me this morning which team I would not mind losing against at this stage, and I replied Geelong.

It wouldn't bother me, except for the loss of the four points. If we won, I'd start wondering whether we could beat them twice in one season!

In 1966, Collingwood beat us by 12 goals in Round 10, and by 10 points in the 2nd Semi.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

aussiejones wrote:We all expect to drop games this year . As long as we are not humiliated by Geelong I dont see the big deal....if anything if we loose we can slip below the radar some what and a loss will give RL some ammunition to continue our improvement with the finals in mind.

me too......would be nice to be minor premiers....might even get us a final at the dome.........winners are grinners........losers can please themselves...and there are one or twp of them around here too....... :roll: :wink: :lol:

even though i get the gist of the op...why would you want to let or give the pricks a psychological advantage......

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:Id still just to knock em off..

Would take a narrow injury-free loss over a win+major injuries thats for sure

Still massively looking forward to the game regardless of our form in the next 6 weeks

me too....we owe the pricks a thrashing....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Solar
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
aussiejones wrote:We all expect to drop games this year . As long as we are not humiliated by Geelong I dont see the big deal....if anything if we loose we can slip below the radar some what and a loss will give RL some ammunition to continue our improvement with the finals in mind.

me too......would be nice to be minor premiers....might even get us a final at the dome.........winners are grinners........losers can please themselves...and there are one or twp of them around here too....... :roll: :wink: :lol:

even though i get the gist of the op...why would you want to let or give the pricks a psychological advantage......
in all seriousness, would this come into play if we played say port in the first round and there are 3 other melbourne games hmmmm not sure if it would be a good thing though

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
saintDal
Club Player

Superboot wrote:My wife asked me this morning which team I would not mind losing against at this stage, and I replied Geelong.

It wouldn't bother me, except for the loss of the four points. If we won, I'd start wondering whether we could beat them twice in one season!

In 1966, Collingwood beat us by 12 goals in Round 10, and by 10 points in the 2nd Semi.
I think that all the premiers from around 98 up until now have lost to the other grand finalist during the home and away season so losing to Geelong actually could be a good thing. Provided we play them in the grand final that is.

Beej
Saintsational Legend

Beating Geelong would give the whole club a massive boost and every one of the players out there the belief that they can more than match it with the Cats.

However, a heavy defeat would be a massive blow to their confidence.

Hawthorn's valiant defeat against the Cats in H&A last year ( Hawks would have won had they been more clinical) gave them the belief that they could compete with the best. Cats were without Ablett but the Hawks, even though they lost, took an enormous amount out of that game IMO.

Don't underestimate the importance of this game in giving either side some sort of mental edge.

At the very least we need to be competitive for four quarters.

Superboot
SS Life Member

saintDal wrote:
Superboot wrote:My wife asked me this morning which team I would not mind losing against at this stage, and I replied Geelong.

I think that all the premiers from around 98 up until now have lost to the other grand finalist during the home and away season so losing to Geelong actually could be a good thing. Provided we play them in the grand final that is.
Funny how we are all assuming that Geelong will be in the GF.

Given your info, maybe we should lose to Hawthorn along the way just in case!

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Superboot wrote:
saintDal wrote:

Funny how we are all assuming that Geelong will be in the GF.

Given your info, maybe we should lose to Hawthorn along the way just in case!
:lol: that is funny, now that I think about it....

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

somebody on BF posted a statistic along that said that of the last 7-8 grandfinals, the winner on the day had been defeated by the runner up in the H&A season

Hawks lost to Geelong last year
Geelong lost to Port at skilled the year b4
Syd and WCE both lost to each other in their last H&A in the respective years they won the grandfinal
Bris beat Port in 2004 in a classic match
Coll beat Bris the year b4 that (i think)

maybe we should throw the game

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

saintDal wrote: I think that all the premiers from around 98 up until now have lost to the other grand finalist during the home and away season so losing to Geelong actually could be a good thing. Provided we play them in the grand final that is.
whoops

sorry SD, didn't spot that til afterwards

Raven
Club Player

I'm just really looking forward to a great game of football, that's all. Forget strategy, future positions, etc.

It'll be a fantastic game. That's all that matters really.

starsign
Club Player

Settle down the lot of you!
This is only round 9 !

We meet Geelong Round 14!

A lot can happen between now and then!
Just keep focused week/match by match till then , and hope and prey the Footy Gods are still with us!

I know I'm an old fart ,but last year about the same time everyone was yelling we're gone , we're gone no hope to make the 8 ( an I think it was an anhilation v Lions or Swans whatever)
,and I said then, hang in there, we can string a few wins together ,we've got a few coming back , other sides will have their share of injuries and probs, we are going see a stronger line-up and we still could even make the 4 let alone the 8!! Most thought otherwise!
OK I'm loathe to suggest it, but for ... sake the reverse can occur , so keep you seats ,and hang on to your beanies, and lets take it a week at a time
If R13 sees us undefeated facing the Cats, well good for us , but as sure as God made little green apples , its not a given!
This discussion is miles ahead of itself...and I'm not a Jonah , we're flying beautifully at the moment .Enjoy the ride , smell the roses on the way , and keep your feet on the bloody turf! Maybe , just maybe, we will be in the position you clairvoiyants are surmizing, if so we can pick up these thoughts after round 13!
Does this sound like "keep a lid on it " 'spose it does but
I'm just enjoying the best year since '66 and am queitly confident we can go all the way ....but hell lets just take it one week at a time young bulls!and maybe , just maybe , as the old bull said , we can stroll over and do the bloody lot of 'em!

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Actually it would be nice if Geelong has dropped a game by then, do they play anyone decent in the next few weeks.
As for us, I'll worry about round 14, the week before round 14, right now we need to worry about our round 9 opponent, then round 10 etc.
We also have to keep healthy.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
bigred
Saintsational Legend

JB is 100% spot on...

exactamundo...

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
QuestionOfAccuracy
Club Player

We do actually need to play well against Geelong in round 14 because they have very comfortably defeated us in the last two seasons, especially that humiliating loss in the finals last year. So we need to play well to show ourselves more than anyone that we have in fact closed the gap and to give us the belief that we can knock em' off later in the year (if we get the chance).