Sacked coach

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Sacked coach

Now that ive got everyones attention 8-)

Just finished Stan Alves' autobiography of the same name. Very interesting read, obviously especially the sections where he is involved with St Kilda

Gee..we reckon things are a bit fractured at Tigerland, St Kilda circa 95-98 seemed far worse.

Its only one side of the story I know..but there alswys seemed to be an undercurrent of mistrust between Stan and the board, even during the good times of 97

ANyone else read it of late? Thoughts?

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Can you summarise the reasons for the acrimony between Stan and, well, everybody?

It's something I've never really understood...

Beej
Saintsational Legend

Almost done reading Saturday Afternoon Fever and I've thoroughly enjoyed it.

Might have to pick this one up as well.

Any other St Kilda related books I should read?

esaint66
SS Life Member

The first half of the book is very insightful in how he deal's with his son's death, great read.

cowboy18
Saintsational Legend

esaint66 wrote:The first half of the book is very insightful in how he deal's with his son's death, great read.
From memory the way in which the club accepted Stan and involved him at that time was important in how he learned to cope with his child's death. I remember thinking at the time that a bunch of footy people who were around when he started his skills sessions acted with unlauded compassion and class.

Milton66
SS Life Member

Was Stan the "accidental" coach? I get the feeling that he wa s alast ditch appointment like Spud was at Richmond.

In other words, not the preferred option. which always makes it hard.

My theory is that Trevor Barker was the annointed successor as senior coach, that was until he took ill.

I seem to recall Plympton making a comment to th eeffect that the reason they got Timmy was due to his "values" system... similar to Trev's. Then again, my memory is foggy.

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:Can you summarise the reasons for the acrimony between Stan and, well, everybody?

It's something I've never really understood...
it's been some years since I read it, but i'll give this a go (from stan's perspective).

He reluctantly took on the role as an assistant coach a year or 2 after his son died... several ppl were shown the door and the offer was made to him to be coach, after he accepted several key board figure told him that he only had the spot unitl Trevor Barker was ready to coach which obviously never eventuated.

The immediate thing that Stan noted was that the board didn't want to know about anything related to how he coached the club or what his directon was.
Stan also noted that the mentality of the players was "we're not good enough" and that in general the club only respected and acknowledged the efforts of its stars (who could get away with murder).
He told the story that for that reason one day in a game against WCE, he ripped into David Grant infront of the entire team for breaking a team rule that cost them a goal and momentum (said ultimately he regretted that as Grant was never the same player again)

One of the early things he did was have a big meeting with everyone at the club in an attempt to familiarise everyone with everyone else. and also acknowledge the lesser lights at the club. He told the story of how he called Shanahan into his office once and asked him to name the best player at the club to which he responded Harvey, then got him to compare Rob's attributes to his to which he drew the conclusion that while Rob was a star, he was stronger, could spoil better etc and while not a star, that he was a different player with different things to offer the team.

He was also very very big on empowerment. He sat down with the team and let them put together a bunch of team rules and conduct, and also let them come up with the punishment for transgressors.
From time to time he also let players run training sessions and nominated individual captain's of areas on the ground... e.g. Jamie Shannahan was in charge of the backman

He also let the players decide their own captain in which they jointly picked Loewe and Burke as co-captains.

Stan said that he felt the board's attitude to these changes was that the players were there to play not to think and that they felt that empowring the players would lead to big heads, control issues and chaos.
They also felt that the co-captain portrayed the saints as a club that was unable to make big decisions.
The other really big thing he noted was that the board was really annoyed that he never drew attention or publicly acknowledged all the hard work the board was doing to save the club.

This came to a head after the Ansett cup win in 96. Stan said that he was in his office and a board member asked him to do some photos for a journo to which he agreed. The took a photo of him at Moorabbin, up against a wall. He didn't notice that on 1 side of the wall it said IN and on the other OUT. The article published a story about whether or not he'd leave.
The board was furious and accused him of try to leverage a better offer despite the fact that he was asked to do the photo and was not quoted in the article at all.
Stan said after that, he simply didn't bother with the board and stayed out of their way.

In 97, post the grandfinal at the drowning of sorrows party, Stan said that 2 members of the board approached him and said that the biggest shame of the year was that he won that game against Melb (Balme was sacked) and made the grandfinal hence they couldn't sack him but they wanted to.

He felt that the board then went out of their way to make things difficult for him e.g. Shannahan left, and they didn't get a replacement.

Obviously he was sacked 12months later.

Hope that covers it

rocksolid
Club Player

I thought it was a great read, the part about his son touching.

Altough all and sundry thought Stan was stiff to be shafted (myself included) even he admits in the book he panicked in the first half of 98 and introduced some DIFFERENT methods in training, which his detractors at board level pounced on.

I'm not 100% sure but from memory some players, Spider? didn't help his cause to much.

saintly
Saintsational Legend

bloody boards,

if they would all stop interfering. the saints might have got a flag or 2 by now!

bigred
Saintsational Legend

he WAS a decent coach. Good lateral thinker.

his player empowerment ideas were well ahead of their time in footy.

A really, really nice bloke too.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
GrumpyOne

Was it in Stan Alves time that Grant Thomas earned the name Cornflakes?

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

was that the revised edtion or the original saints66au?

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Milton66
SS Life Member

Whilst I haven't read the book, it seems my hunch was correct.

If Stan's version of events are true, then it's an indictment on our previous boards.

We can argue about the Butters / Plympton legacy in financial terms, but I'll tell you what:

If Plympton was in charge of such behaviour then he should take the blame for a pathetic waste of years at this club.

Stan took a young, exciting list and took them to a GF. Perhaps if the board backed him on discipline issues as they do now, who knows what the Smith, Jones, Brown, Lappin combo may have achieved.

Either way, it appears that the what we knew about the tails wagging the dog at this club was correct, and that the clowns in charge had no clue.

We should have contested in 98!!

Thank goodnes for the board we have now. finally, maybe just finally, we can get excited.

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:was that the revised edtion or the original saints66au?
would love to get my hands on a copy of the revised issue

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

Who were the half back flankers on the board at that time?

Name and shame, lets go. Deplorable behaviour! :evil:

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:
Revised issue..available from the Bayside library (when I take it back on the weekend :-))

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

what's added in??

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

I'm not sure- I just remember hearing an interview with him - probably on abc a couple of years ago - stating that he had updated it

But I got the feeling it may be a more 'even' account, or just have a new chapter or two.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
esaint66
SS Life Member

saint66au wrote:
skeptic wrote:
Revised issue..available from the Bayside library (when I take it back on the weekend :-))

That's the one i read :wink: :D

stinger
Saintsational Legend

shouldn't have pushed one of the players down the stairs imhfo...spelt his death nell........

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.