Team Vs Lions

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

roxanne
Club Player

I noticed that too. No longer a walk up start. Still, eight weeks in Goose has probably worked that out by now. He'll get there - seems like it might be in the forward line though. Luxury.

"He spoke of his stride, his power and his willingness to push himself to exhaustion. All of the things that are on display each weekend in the No 12 jumper" Garry Lyon
St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

roxanne wrote:I noticed that too. No longer a walk up start. Still, eight weeks in Goose has probably worked that out by now. He'll get there - seems like it might be in the forward line though. Luxury.
I just wonder how they are training him at the Club.

Originally Gilbert was earmarked as the third forward option in the pre season and Gilbert was looking forward to his new role.

Once both Max and Goose are ready, we will have options of playing Gilbert or Goose as our third tall...

To me the side is only going to improve (barring injuries)

Again, I just wonder about their training drills and just what Gilbert and Goose are doing

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
Mr X from the West
Club Player

Milton66 wrote:You people are amusing.

When is the best time to bring someone back?

When they firckin deserve it.

Why rush Max? Yup Brown / Bradshaw. So let's risk him and he goes down again for another 3 months.

Goose? Well I hate to be the bringer of bad news, but the boy has to start his career allover again, much the same way as Kosi has.

Read between the lines: "He'll play a part but we'e not sure how big" "not elite, but a bona-fide AFL player"
Spot on.

"Blow out the candle I will burn again tomorrow"
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

St Fidelius wrote:
roxanne wrote:I noticed that too. No longer a walk up start. Still, eight weeks in Goose has probably worked that out by now. He'll get there - seems like it might be in the forward line though. Luxury.

Originally Gilbert was earmarked as the third forward option in the pre season and Gilbert was looking forward to his new role.

Once both Max and Goose are ready, we will have options of playing Gilbert or Goose as our third tall...

Again, I just wonder about their training drills and just what Gilbert and Goose are doing
I wouldnt be moving Gilbert. Even though they wanted him forward he has been fantastic down back. RL isnt going to change a winning formula unless there is injury or poor form. The only possible change to backline is when Max is fully fit and the only one who could come out is Zac which would be a pity but Max must play when fit.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Beat Brisbane

THEN

Perhaps 'rest' a ruckman for Melbourne, let Maguire roam between ruck and forward and interchange with the non-rested ruck and Blake ...
Give him a chance to prove himself.

I dunno.

Just trying to find a way to appease the Maguire-a-phobes and massage my love of a cindarella story return...

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:Beat Brisbane

THEN

Perhaps 'rest' a ruckman for Melbourne, let Maguire roam between ruck and forward and interchange with the non-rested ruck and Blake ...
Give him a chance to prove himself.

I dunno.

Just trying to find a way to appease the Maguire-a-phobes and massage my love of a cindarella story return...
We are not going to rest anyone in the next 3 weeks. They may miss with a slight injry but we have a bye in 3 weeks. They dont need 2 rests in 3 weeks.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

FortiusQuoFidelius wrote:
evertonfc wrote:This would have been the right game to switch in Max for Gram.

We'll still probably win, etc. but we need to get matches into his legs. If he's ready, I reckon it's just about time.
Max for Gram? Surely you must be joking??

Dont get me wrong... I LOVE Max and cant wait to see him back in the side, but not as a backman who runs through the midfield. If Max ever has to fill that role we are DOOMED for failure!!!
I mean, really, should I even bother replying?

What I meant to say was that Max should not only come in, but play as a decoy ruckman.

:roll:
Last edited by evertonfc on Thu 21 May 2009 7:57pm, edited 1 time in total.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Milton66
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
St Fidelius wrote:

I wouldnt be moving Gilbert. Even though they wanted him forward he has been fantastic down back. RL isnt going to change a winning formula unless there is injury or poor form. The only possible change to backline is when Max is fully fit and the only one who could come out is Zac which would be a pity but Max must play when fit.
According to M Roberts, Gilbert stated that he wanted to own CHB during the preseason.

Yes, MAx must play when fit, and he will.

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Fair call.

Then perhaps we could take to Kingy's noggin with a bat, he'll miss with a concussion, then Goose would get his go...

The Linton Street Flash
Club Player

evertonfc wrote:
FortiusQuoFidelius wrote:

We'll still probably win, etc. but we need to get matches into his legs. If he's ready, I reckon it's just about time.
Max for Gram? Surely you must be joking??

Dont get me wrong... I LOVE Max and cant wait to see him back in the side, but not as a backman who runs through the midfield. If Max ever has to fill that role we are DOOMED for failure!!!
I mean, really, should I even bother replying?

What I meant to say was that Max should not only come in, but play as a decoy ruckman.

:roll:
Without any doubt at all you are the most arrogant poster on this forum.

To think Max is right to replace a running defender after one game in over six months is just plain dumb...u surely must be kidding?

Look again it's the Flash!!
Griggsy
SS Life Member

Raph for a fitting return in the indigenous round. Not that it should be a factor in selection, but seems like a logical choice to me.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

The Linton Street Flash wrote:To think Max is right to replace a running defender after one game in over six months is just plain dumb...u surely must be kidding?
Gram's been playing in the midfield, not defence. Either way, We could bring in Max shift Sam Fisher away from key defence, and put Goddard into the midfield. The side is flexibile enough right now that we could bring in just about anybody for anybody without upsetting the balance.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
Milton66
SS Life Member

Why rush anyone back after they've missed nearly 3 months??

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote:
The Linton Street Flash wrote:To think Max is right to replace a running defender after one game in over six months is just plain dumb...u surely must be kidding?
Gram's been playing in the midfield, not defence. Either way, We could bring in Max shift Sam Fisher away from key defence, and put Goddard into the midfield. The side is flexibile enough right now that we could bring in just about anybody for anybody without upsetting the balance.
The backline is so good because we have plenty of run out of the backline that is why i dont think Max and Zac can work in the same backline because one of them will have to replace a high possession running defender. I wish it could work but cannot see how it will.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:...i dont think Max and Zac can work in the same backline because one of them will have to replace a high possession running defender.
That's entirely possible. They're both probably better playing on forwards closer to goal as well. I've just been thinking two key defenders, one small stopper and three rebounders. I may be oversimplifying things. I was thinking you could switch Fisher onto Brown if he pushes up the ground and have Zac and Max stay on forward targets.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Griggsy wrote:Raph for a fitting return in the indigenous round. Not that it should be a factor in selection, but seems like a logical choice to me.
I like this idea.
We should also pick Darrell Baldock in the nostalgia round and Matthew Hardy's mum in the women's round.

CaptainRiewoldt
Club Player

Maguire should be in ross' first mostke for 2009.

Dason and Blake to cover bradshaw and Brown?

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

CaptainReiwoldt wrote:Maguire should be in ross' first mostke for 2009.

Dason and Blake to cover bradshaw and Brown?
Dunno who Dason is, but at least you're back on the right track rather than some of the crackpots on Board tonight.

The match up are intriguing and will depend on whether the Lions drop a man back on Riewoldt. The usual practice is to delay plan as late as possible so the first bounce may not be a guide. It may well depend on the first goal.

My tip is one on one on our backline Fisher to take Brown and Blake to to take Bradshaw. We'll see in less tan 72 hours.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

No..if Max needs matches in his legs you do it at Sandy...not in the AFL.

Max had virtually no pre-season..and only played last week.

Lets get him match fit before we bring him back.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
CaptainRiewoldt
Club Player

in terms of who should come in first im thinking maguire based on he has had 2 bogs in last 2 weeks after playing what 5 games??

he has to come in soon ... if not now then def not melbourne or north so maybe carlton?

bergsone
SS Life Member

Glad we arent all on the match panel picking the side.never get done,need more monday games

Would have liked to have seen Goose in ,but they have got it right so far and are a lot closer to the players than any here.RL and co should know who is right to go and when

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:

No..if Max needs matches in his legs you do it at Sandy...not in the AFL.

Max had virtually no pre-season..and only played last week.

Lets get him match fit before we bring him back.
agreed.

Never heard of getting a players "match legs" in the ones...

You get the "match legs" playing with the twos

gee, pretty simple really

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Max will be back after the break, probably at the expense of Zac.

Goose will be back when a position opens up for him, probably through injury.

The team is performing at the highest level I personally have ever seen, and all players, in both the ones and twos, are under pressure to stay in or get into the 22.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:The team is performing at the highest level I personally have ever seen, and all players, in both the ones and twos, are under pressure to stay in or get into the 22.
well said. i agree, it's a very healthy sign.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:Max will be back after the break, probably at the expense of Zac.

Goose will be back when a position opens up for him, probably through injury.

The team is performing at the highest level I personally have ever seen, and all players, in both the ones and twos, are under pressure to stay in or get into the 22.
I agree, and its because we have a number of "no namers" in the team that the battle stakes are so high. SO called namers on paper like Goose Raph and X before he got injured just don't have a spot, currently.

Our very best are playing as A graders and everyone wants to be a part of it all, everyone is earning their spot.