Gram To Miss?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Milton66
SS Life Member

lol... read it again: move Ray fwd.

What's with the Goose love affair?

Chances are he may not play this year given our style. Face facts.

He should only get a game if he deserves it, and he can enhance the current winning structure. Same goes for everyone else.

Are we here to win a flag or get all emotional about a player who was good 3 years ago, but may not have aplace in the team.

Ross has repeatedly stated that he'll play a role. Just how big a role, he's unsure about. Goose may have to reinvent himself in the same way that Mini has.

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
Batnoe

Gilbert to the wing!!

Maguire forward

Geary defence

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Talk about jumping the gun - the guy isn't even out as yet.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:Talk about jumping the gun - the guy isn't even out as yet.
True - yet he is 4 days out from playing and it was reported that all he could do was hobble one lap

Rest him - we can afford to - why risk him when we have a fews guys 100% fit to go playing good footy for Sandy

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

Do you think that Miles may be a chance? From all accounts he is quick and may be a good replacement for Grams run.

"It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress."
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

If Grammy is out, whoever comes in needs to cover his breaking the lines role or someone else has to step up in breaking the lines and whoever comes in covers that player's role. Grammy is ranked #1 in the comp for Inside 50's this year - ahead of Judd, Chapman, Sewell and Swan amongst other quality players.
On the positive side we also have Joey and Dal ranking just outside the top 10 inside 50's per game.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Exactly, it's a shame he has an injury...hope it's not to serious?

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Re: Gram To Miss?

bigcarl wrote:in: r. clarke

you would think so....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

InkerSaint wrote:
Thinline wrote:Bit of a bugger for Grammy. He won't be an automatic in once he's healed up.

No one is this year...
Not true - Kosi and King were.

If Gram's right within two weeks, expect him to slot straight back in. The only exception I can imagine is if they bring Hudghton back before him.
Ah yes, but they are key possie players. Gram is but one of a fleet of mids...

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

I would expect gram to come straight back in... but then again.....

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
starsign
Club Player

if Grammy doesn't come up, which looks likely, it's an interesting one for selectors alright
Don't disregard Eddy who was BOG for the Zebs and has been very much in favor until replaced for team balance i thought
The covering of Bradshaw/Brown is the key element which will control the way the rest of the 22 get assembled I recon
They will start there and the rest will follow
By the way RL spoke on Fox Zac is earmarked to play deep defence c/f the Sams & Blakey so he predicted a bit of shuffling about covering the Lions pair who tend to move in and out a bit, but the availability of Max and Goose throws up a bit of intrigue
Of all teams we've yet to meet , saving the Hawks, this mobs success generally hinges on the 2 key forwards, so expect a fair bit of deliberation to go into it with the options we have on hand at present

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

starsign wrote:Don't disregard Eddy who was BOG for the Zebs and has been very much in favor until replaced for team balance i thought
no, he has claims also, but is more the defensive running type ... unlike the attacking risk-taker we are seeking to replace. will be an interesting night at the selection table.
Last edited by bigcarl on Wed 20 May 2009 7:34pm, edited 1 time in total.

python
Club Player

if eddy was selected and gram was rested, id say gwilt would go back and eddy would play the role gwilt usually does. The obvious replacement would be raph though

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

IluvHarvey wrote:Do you think that Miles may be a chance? From all accounts he is quick and may be a good replacement for Grams run.
Yes he would be a chance.

Raph can be a runner...but he does not have Gram's pace.

Lots of possibilities though..

Eddy as a runner

Max for Bradshaw

Goose for HFF...and Gwilt to HBF

Ah...it is so good to have depth.

Rather than pulling our hair out over Gram missinga week...we are all excited about who of many might geta run instead.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Solar
Saintsational Legend

raph's back :) would be nice to see raph be given a wing role or he can work down back and release ray into the midfield.

extra backman or is that the media guessing?

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

How long does it take to get match fit????

I hear that Goose is still underdone........after 10 games of footy....

4 (1 for StK and 3 for Sandy) practise matches and 6 roster games for Sandy

Surey after 18 weeks of full training, following 16 weeks of modified training with 10 games he is pretty close to fit......

Statsman
Club Player

I see two potential outcomes:
  1. Bring Raph in for Gram - play Raph in defense and move Ray up onto the wing.
  2. Bring Goose in for Gram - play Goose as a key defender, switch Fisher/Blake to the 3rd tall defender and move Ray up onto the wing.
Either way, Ray seems the obvious player to move up onto the wing. From there it will depend how we want to "structure up" on Brown and Bradshaw. For most of the season we've played Dawson at FB and alternated between Blake and Fisher at CHB. I believe we've played Fisher on Brown in the past, in which case we could use Blake and presumably Raph as the "3rd man up". Alternatively, if Goose comes in to stand Brown, we have Blake and Fisher as the "3rd man up" and can also exploit Fisher's run off half back. However I'd be concerned that we'd be too top heavy down if we went with Dawson, Blake, Fisher and Maguire. For mine, Dawson, Blake, Fisher and Raph gives a better mix of size, strength and mobility.

"Ask not what your teammates can do for you. Ask what you can do for your teammates." - Earvin 'Magic' Johnson
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

python wrote:if eddy was selected and gram was rested, id say gwilt would go back and eddy would play the role gwilt usually does. The obvious replacement would be raph though
it's only a single stat and needs to be considered along with other team balance factors and the fact that Eddy has only played two games, but he's ranked next after Gram, Dal and Joey for average inside 50's per game.

Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

bigcarl wrote:
I think raph is the perfect like for like replacement. Takes risks like gram and gives plenty of run.

agree

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

Statsman wrote:I see two potential outcomes:
  1. Bring Raph in for Gram - play Raph in defense and move Ray up onto the wing.
  2. Bring Goose in for Gram - play Goose as a key defender, switch Fisher/Blake to the 3rd tall defender and move Ray up onto the wing.
Either way, Ray seems the obvious player to move up onto the wing. From there it will depend how we want to "structure up" on Brown and Bradshaw. For most of the season we've played Dawson at FB and alternated between Blake and Fisher at CHB. I believe we've played Fisher on Brown in the past, in which case we could use Blake and presumably Raph as the "3rd man up". Alternatively, if Goose comes in to stand Brown, we have Blake and Fisher as the "3rd man up" and can also exploit Fisher's run off half back. However I'd be concerned that we'd be too top heavy down if we went with Dawson, Blake, Fisher and Maguire. For mine, Dawson, Blake, Fisher and Raph gives a better mix of size, strength and mobility.
Goose is the player with best form not currenltly in the team - so my guess is the match committee go for option 2 above ie Gosse to take Fishers role and release Fisher to take Gram's role.

“If you want the rainbow you gotta put up with rain” Dolly Parton
To the top
SS Life Member

IF Gram is out he will be a massive loss.

Runs the lines and kicks the lines plus boots goals, which has not been a strong feature of our mid-field in the past.

A vital player.

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

I'd replace him with Armo,but that's just me

Bring back the Lockett era
Foz
Club Player

seeing its a Sunday game - assume there will be 4 IN's for an extended bench

Raph, Eddy, Goose, Armo, Macca and Maxy. I'm assuming that Maxy may miss again - but the selection Thursday night will ensure there is a host of possibles and probables combos.

DWOODROW
Club Player

jonesy wrote:I'd replace him with Armo,but that's just me
I'm with you. Bring in Armo and let's see if he has learnt anything in his time on the sidelines, like whether he really wants it or not.

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

The real shame of it is that a straight swap would have been X. :( :(

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!