Roo top 5?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

#1GILL
SS Hall of Fame

Roo top 5?

had a debate with an (idiotic) essendon supporter on sunday at half time as to whether or not so far this year Nick has been one of the best 5 players in the comp.....I could not beleive he was disagreeing with me...I would like some confirmation from others so i know i am not being biased that this guy so far this yr(and probably always) is in the top 5 players....I asked him which 5 players had done better so far and his response was:

1. Ablett-Accepted
2. Judd-Accepted
3. Franklin-Disagree...only has 4 more goals than roo and roo covers alot more ground and plays up the ground alot more
4. Stevie J-I accepted it then, but is definetly debatable
5. Chad Cornes-Whilst i have respect for chad as a player i could not beleive when this fool put his yr to date about roo's!

So what i'm looking for is clarification that Roo has been in the top 5 players so far this year?

Who agrees? disagrees?
Discuss

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

Yes for me, top 5.

Steve J would be a certain starter as well.

No WAY could I have Cornes above Reiwoldt. Agreeable enough for ya ? :D

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Top 2

roxanne
Club Player

I agree, equal in work rate to Judd, hardly ever beaten, just as important to the fortunes of his team and plays in the most difficult position on the ground. Gets his head caved in every weekend and still takes the contested marks. Easily top two.

"He spoke of his stride, his power and his willingness to push himself to exhaustion. All of the things that are on display each weekend in the No 12 jumper" Garry Lyon
saintjake
Club Player

franklin covers a huge amount of turf.
commentators.
opponents
and teammates all say so.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

Ablett, Bartel, Brown, Cornes, Franklin, Goodes, Hodge, Judd, Pavlich, Riewoldt... If you had to choose one of those players, you'd be pretty happy to do so. Any one of them can tear a game inside out at a moment's notice. GC wishes they could land that type of player. Sadly (for them) they'll probably end up with closer to 16 castaways.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
Marcus1232
Club Player

1.Ablett
2.Judd
3.Riewoldt
4.Johnson
5.Dal Santo

Thats my opinion atm anyway

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Re: Roo top 5?

#1GILL wrote:had a debate with an (idiotic) essendon supporter on sunday at half time as to whether or not so far this year Nick has been one of the best 5 players in the comp.....I could not beleive he was disagreeing with me...I would like some confirmation from others so i know i am not being biased that this guy so far this yr(and probably always) is in the top 5 players....I asked him which 5 players had done better so far and his response was:

1. Ablett-Accepted
2. Judd-Accepted
3. Franklin-Disagree...only has 4 more goals than roo and roo covers alot more ground and plays up the ground alot more
4. Stevie J-I accepted it then, but is definetly debatable
5. Chad Cornes-Whilst i have respect for chad as a player i could not beleive when this fool put his yr to date about roo's!

So what i'm looking for is clarification that Roo has been in the top 5 players so far this year?

Who agrees? disagrees?
Discuss

top three to me....after judd and ablett.....and in that order......dal fourth........with bj in the top 10.....after all we are 8 zip........

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

even noddy sheahen admits he is embarressed that he only had roo at 7 with sideshow at 5......

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
n1ck
Saintsational Legend

In terms of impact and importance to their side every week?

Ablett
Riewoldt
Judd
S Johnson

Daylight

Franklin, Bartel, Dal Santo, Roughead, Pavlich, Goodes, Pendlebury, Goddard

Everyone else

So far.

Legendary
Club Player

There are two things that a player must be able to do to be a "champion" as opposed to a very good player:

1. The ability to perform consistently at a high level, week in, week out

AND

2. The ability to step up and win a match for a team through a courageous, skillful or inspiring act that proves the difference between two teams.

Some players have #1 without ever having #2 (good solid consistent players who don't have that touch of magic or brilliance), and vice-versa - the players who can have that brilliance but lack the consistency.

Then there are guys like Riewoldt. Who tackles to win a free for holding the ball in the last quarter against Essendon, then backed it up with a goal from 50m on a tight angle when we were being really challenged. Who puts in a hard-working, consistent effort every single week, and is guaranteed to kick a couple and take at least 8 or 9 marks.

But who, when it comes to the crunch, can lift to that next level, take that big grab, kick that important goal or provide that amazing bit of skill that sets him apart as a champion.

Ablett, Judd, Riewoldt, Brown are the four that come to mind in 2009.

Milton66
SS Life Member

If he could improve his accuracy and kick 1 or 2 more goals a week, he'd go close to top 3.

Many "experts" rated HArvey outside the top 3 because he didn't do damage on the scoreboard like Buckly and Hird.

Roo is the same to a degree. If he kicked straighter, he'd be above Franklin with a doubt.

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
Beej
Saintsational Legend

n1ck wrote:In terms of impact and importance to their side every week?

Ablett
Riewoldt
Judd
S Johnson

Daylight

Franklin, Bartel, Dal Santo, Roughead, Pavlich, Goodes, Pendlebury, Goddard

Everyone else

So far.
I'd also have Riewoldt second on the list in front of Judd.

I'd have Lenny Hayes right up there, too.

Franklin hasn't been all that impressive for me. His game against Freo is the only one I can recall him having a major influence.

Most influential players of 2009 IMO:

1.Ablett
2.Riewoldt
3.Judd
4.Johnson
5.Hayes
6.Pavlich
7.Dal Santo
8.Davis
9.Goddard
10.Cornes

I believe Hayes has been more influential than Dal Santo so far.

awesome_days
Club Player

I'd say yes, easily.

For me, best player is a combination of consistiency, match changing performances (not just winning, but bringing team to brink of victory) and durability.

Current form:

1) Reiwoldt
2) Judd
3) Ablett
4) Davis
5) Cox
6) Pavlich
7) JBrown
8) SJohnson
9) Goddard
10) Franklin

Milton66
SS Life Member

Beg to differ, but I reckon Joey is right up there this year. Equal if not more influential than Dal.

Beej
Saintsational Legend

Ablett's a tricky one too because Geelong continue to win and win comfortably without him.

You would probably have to judge influence on how much a club would struggle without that player.

The most influential players are the ones most crucial to a side's fortunes and since Geelong has an unbelievable side, they would still dominate games without any one player.

Therefore you could make a case for Davey, Cox and Goodes. Judd would probably top the list as Carlton wouldn't be a contender for finals without him and Pavlich would have to be a close second as Freo would struggle to beat Werribee without him and his inspirational pregame speeches.
Last edited by Beej on Wed 20 May 2009 1:47am, edited 2 times in total.

Milton66
SS Life Member

I guess the best way to answer is:

If you were starting a team from scratch and had a clear shot at 5 players, who would you get?

Beej
Saintsational Legend

Milton66 wrote:I guess the best way to answer is:

If you were starting a team from scratch and had a clear shot at 5 players, who would you get?
In that case, I would go:

Ablett - best player on the planet
Riewoldt - because he's just signed a new contract
Pavlich - Massive fan of Pavlich. THE most versatile player in the comp. All-Australian in five different positions: fullback, half forward flank (played in midfield that year), centre half forward, full forward and the bench. Can literally play and dominate anywhere on the field.

Griggsy
SS Life Member

Re: Roo top 5?

#1GILL wrote:I would like some confirmation from others so i know i am not being biased that this guy so far this yr(and probably always) is in the top 5 players....Discuss
There is a Convo on BF forums about whos top 10 this season. If you want to know if you are being biased or not check here for opinion from fans of many clubs.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=580160

have a scan through a couple pages and its clear who the top 3 are in the eyes of a wider audience are.

then 4-10 is a raffle. Cornes doesnt feature and Franklin only mentioned afew times. And Dal is rated highly also, top 5 in alot, hayes and goddard also getting in some. saw montagna in a top 10 also.

But one thing for certain, Roo is rated 3rd on average. ablett/judd then roo, then stevie J/Dal

CaptainRiewoldt
Club Player

take away sentiment and BS geelong would take reiwoldt over ABLETT JNR EVERY DAY OF THE WEEK!

people wont admit it but reiwoldt is easily 3rd best right now. Dal Santo top 10. what delivery is dal santo??

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

I agree that DalSanto is Top 10. Where do people rate Montagna? Has had a fantastic start to 2009, either equal to or just behind DalSanto !!

Milton66
SS Life Member

CaptainReiwoldt wrote:take away sentiment and BS geelong would take reiwoldt over ABLETT JNR EVERY DAY OF THE WEEK!

people wont admit it but reiwoldt is easily 3rd best right now. Dal Santo top 10. what delivery is dal santo??
Interesting comment. They can win without GAj. Imagine if they had Roo up fwd. SCARY!

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Much as it irks me to say, Warren Tredrea has hit the middle of the season with a wet sail.

Jesus, that hurts...

On form though, for mine a good top ten is:

Ablett and Riewoldt equal - streets ahead of anyone. Absolute freaks.
Judd - solid quality
Johnson - amazing start to year. stats don't lie. nor do my eyes! gifted.
Pavlich - in a battling side has been amazingly versatile.
Dal Santo - consistently classy
Roughead - understated contributor in a struggling team
Rioli - my favourite non-Sainter by a country mile. Brilliant shining light in a thus far pretty dour Hawks line up.
Hayes - simply lion-hearted, tough, mistake free, quality decision-making week in week out
Goddard - hard at it, delivery superb, versatile, classy, mature and consistent.

Close but not quite - Bartel, Cornes C, Montagna, Pendlebury, Cox, Tredrea (vomit, spew, hurl), J Brown, Sam Gilbert and maybe even Bradshaw.

Almost put Lovett in, but really he's only had a couple of good weeks. Great to watch though.

As for bias - well I do watch the Saints closer than anyone of course, but I honestly think all those I've listed are absolute elite to Rd 9...

From what I've seen Franklin has not been anywhere near what he could be this year. He'd still be top 25 or so though...somewhere near J Kos...

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:Much as it irks me to say, Warren Tredrea has hit the middle of the season with a wet sail.

Jesus, that hurts...

On form though, for mine a good top ten is:

Ablett and Riewoldt equal - streets ahead of anyone. Absolute freaks.
Judd - solid quality
Johnson - amazing start to year. stats don't lie. nor do my eyes! gifted.
Pavlich - in a battling side has been amazingly versatile.
Dal Santo - consistently classy
Roughead - understated contributor in a struggling team
Rioli - my favourite non-Sainter by a country mile. Brilliant shining light in a thus far pretty dour Hawks line up.
Hayes - simply lion-hearted, tough, mistake free, quality decision-making week in week out
Goddard - hard at it, delivery superb, versatile, classy, mature and consistent.

Close but not quite - Bartel, Cornes C, Montagna, Pendlebury, Cox, Tredrea (vomit, spew, hurl), J Brown, Sam Gilbert and maybe even Bradshaw.

Almost put Lovett in, but really he's only had a couple of good weeks. Great to watch though.

As for bias - well I do watch the Saints closer than anyone of course, but I honestly think all those I've listed are absolute elite to Rd 9...

From what I've seen Franklin has not been anywhere near what he could be this year. He'd still be top 25 or so though...somewhere near J Kos...
Oh did you have too, I too had thought Treadrea was up there this year....but I couldn't actually bring myself to say so.

Shame on you for your honesty :wink:

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

I'm still sore from all that retching... :cry: