Ross Lyon on "On the Couch" Tonight !!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Beej
Saintsational Legend

Best show on television.

Ross' first few words made me chuckle. It's so obvious that those old footy cliches are ingrained into coach's brains.

Ross was asked why, after 8 wins, he's never joined the playing group in singing the song.

His response (word for word):

"Ohhh, I've never... the players do the work, you know, and they're a really tight bunch...and, you know... four quarter effort...."

Hahah four quarter effort, what are you on about son?!

I enjoyed the highlights of Ross' playing days. He hasn't changed a bit.

Also laughed when Gerard said that they were there at 4pm editing out all the violence and thuggery from the highlights. :lol:
Last edited by Beej on Tue 19 May 2009 12:00am, edited 2 times in total.

Saint_Gooner
Club Player

Just a heads up, it's about to be shown again on fs2 for anyone who missed it

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

LOL just watching the replay and commented on Blake punching the ball thru for a point at about 6 secs to go in 1st Q. Stated Ross could be asked on OTC Monday night...

Rossy said Blake should have marked it.... :lol:

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

yes. The "four quarter effort" raised quite a bit of mirth here as well!

widereceiver
Club Player

Ross is clearly a lot more comfortable in the gig these days. He spoke well and even cracked a few gags. 8-zip will do that I guess. A very interesting interview with some insights into the inner sanctum.

I am glad they turned over Rock and Barker at the end of last year. Let's talk 'clunky' forward lines.

"Winning's not everything, it's the ONLY thing!" Vince Lombardi.
Sam Gilbert #1 booster - always on the attack!!!
Win more for Winmar
asiu

A very interesting interview with some insights into the inner sanctum.
"we are into patterns" was an interesting comment

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

gazrat wrote:"we are into patterns" was an interesting comment
that is interesting. what do you think he was getting at?

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

sainter2631 wrote:
Iceman234 wrote:
sainter2631 wrote:Interesting hearing him speak about Leigh Tudor. Said he was keen to bring someone from Geelong to the club to take over from Drain.
Drain doesn't exactly do the same job...probably got quotes confused?

Hope so.
What he said about Tudor was right- must've misheard what he said about Drain however.
Barker

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Well a couple of hours since I watched it..and some good summaries above.

One bit missing though was that Lyon was asked something like whether he had lost the playing group last year before they turned the season around.

RL said that he never lost the Leaders...Harvey, Roo, Hayes and???? (one or two others -memorya bit hazey). That Roos spoke with them...and they allagreed about the need to change.....with Dal and Milne being dropped other that.

Lyon made it clear that Dal and Milne were not the only offenders...but the inference was clear that dropping them wasa clear message to all of the need to change).

Lyon was again very informative
(he always has been....though some were not happy because he was not polished)...whereas now he is still informatibe buta lot more relaxed.

Also noticeable to me is that interviewers are now a lot more respectfful to Ross..they really LISYEN to what he says abd give him time to speak.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Beej
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
In reference to Gilbert's dropped mark. Ross hasn't spoken to Sam about it because he didn't think it was a concern.

If Gilbert dropping those marks happened consistently, it would then be a pattern and Ross would have a word to him.

I'm pretty sure that's what he meant by that comment.

Ross also added that Gilbert's courage is not an issue.
Last edited by Beej on Tue 19 May 2009 9:38am, edited 1 time in total.

asiu

roo , banger, lenny and max.....on the leaders........said he knew they were with him .....they sat down together ......dal and yapper being dropped was the result

"i'm into patterns" ...was the actual quote

slipped in whilst asked whether gilbert was spoken to about the unco-ordinated attempt at the high dropping overhead ball....(to which the answer was no)

patterns of behaviour , patterns of endevour, patterns of effort define his judgement calls (on individual players)........is the way i took it

(harder to get out of the side , than into it ......has its pro's and con's)

starsign
Club Player

vacuous space wrote:
Regarding the gameplan, Lyon outlined changes that were made following finals last year. The team felt that we needed a philosophical change to compete with Geelong and Hawthorn. There was a lot more emphasis put on stoppage play and generating goals from stoppages. Lyon desribed our zoning as more of a 'combination' defence - that the players had licence to roll of their opponents. They showed footage earlier in the program of efforts the Bombers made to get around the zone rather than getting trapped by it like teams like Freo did. There were other changes as well, but I'm struggling to remember them (if anyone can remember feel free to help out).
OK here are the 3 points re the philiosophical changes made after the review of the Prelim loss to Hawthorn:
1 We wanted to score more from midfield stoppages.
2 We felt at times we were vulnerable with really hard one on ones so we made some "tweaks" with our team defence
3 We just wanted to run at the opposition more and use the "outnumber"

vacuous space
SS Life Member

starsign wrote:OK here are the 3 points re the philiosophical changes made after the review of the Prelim loss to Hawthorn:
2 We felt at times we were vulnerable with really hard one on ones so we made some "tweaks" with our team defence
Cheers, starsign. I'm still struggling to wrap my head around #3 though.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
starsign
Club Player

bigcarl wrote:
yes I picked up on him saying that also and had a ponder
Maybe it is a marker to his selection of the team so far, and how the "bottom 6 " as we tend to refer the likes of Jimmy Mini Gears CJ Zac etc are carrying out their roles in the team week by week

maybe also what he looks for each week in the oppositions lead-up games ., although that's pretty much a given I guess Having said that it may reflect a deeper method of analysing the opposition for the smaller/finer aspects of what they do which form a pattern over time

Anyway it hints at a very analytical mind that not only foscusses on the broader aspects of the game, but also where little things that often go unnoticed can form an integral part of the whole

Reminds me off modern criminal investigations

starsign
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote:
sainter2631 wrote:
Iceman234 wrote:
sainter2631 wrote:Interesting hearing him speak about Leigh Tudor. Said he was keen to bring someone from Geelong to the club to take over from Drain.

Hope so.
What he said about Tudor was right- must've misheard what he said about Drain however.
Barker
Hi Iceman!
he actually said it was more Drains idea/strong recommendation from previous knowledge to go after Tudor
and that they definitely targeted someone from Geelong and Hinkley had already been here

asiu

Having said that it may reflect a deeper method of analysing the opposition for the smaller/finer aspects of what they do which form a pattern over time

mmmmm....nice work

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote:
starsign wrote:OK here are the 3 points re the philiosophical changes made after the review of the Prelim loss to Hawthorn:
Cheers, starsign. I'm still struggling to wrap my head around #3 though.
Thought he meant to outnumber the opposition at the ball - thats how I read it anyway.

great to see some old footage of R.Lyon in his Fitzroy days. A big hard at it unit, whom I always enjoyed watching. Lost a bit of hair since then (not the only one) but he has his team playing in his spirit. Hard at it.

Good relaxed interview.

Very interesting how upfront he was on getting Tudor. Makes sense to get a coach from one of the best teams ever. he also praised the St.Kilda organisation to be able to attract and acquire coaches such as a Leigh Tudor which was a nice touch.

Anybody still thinks R.Lyon is a Sydney man?

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

gazrat wrote: "i'm into patterns" ...was the actual quote

slipped in whilst asked whether gilbert was spoken to about the unco-ordinated attempt at the high dropping overhead ball....(to which the answer was no)

patterns of behaviour , patterns of endevour, patterns of effort define his judgement calls (on individual players)........is the way i took it
Spot on gazrat. The panel were trying to suugest that the reason Gilbo dropped the mark was because he was too concerned about trying to protect himself. That's were Ross said it's not a concern with Gilbo implying that he'll take his turn to get crunched when need be. As you said above, more an uncoordinated attempt rather than a pattern of incidents where Gilbo was worried about anything other than the ball.

"I'm into patterns" for me was the most interesting and important quote from the interview. Shows that Ross is not a man to jump at shadows or have knee jerk reactions. Whilst I imagine he respects incidents in isolation he will not get hung up on them until he sees a pattern imerging and then address the situation. I get more impressed by him every time I hear him speak.

The other thing I like is is willingness to give credit where credit is due. His praise for Tudor, Silvagni and Drain. Also his willingness to listen to his assistants, like Elshaug, and work through to a solution.

I know he probably hadn't done, achieved or learnt enough back in 2002/3 but I can't help but wonder how things might have been different with him and his current structure and supporting crew at the club.

starsign
Club Player

starsign wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:
sainter2631 wrote:
Iceman234 wrote:

Hope so.
Barker
Hi Iceman!
he actually said it was more Drains idea/strong recommendation from previous knowledge to go after Tudor
and that they definitely targeted someone from Geelong and Hinkley had already been here
sorry I'm wrong here just had a look at the tape
the prior knowledge of Drain was in reference to a question on getting Ferren Ray from the Dogs
RL just said "we targeted someone from Geelong...specifically myself and Matthew Drain!"

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Both Ross Lyon and Mark Thompson are phlegmatic. Being "blessed" with this characteristic, appearing outwardly calm in difficult circumstances, has been notable in successful coaches in the last decade - Sheedy (to some extent), Matthews, Roos and Worsfold . No doubt, internally their tummies are churning like everyone else's.

In addition, these coaches are less likely to react to skill errors than to game plan errors.

Ross knows his stuff and has the personality to carry it through. Winning always makes it appear easier than it is, but I'm glad he's at the Saints.

starsign
Club Player

RL on playing Goose forward

GH:………(on his recent 5 goal hauls for Zebs) my spies tell me he’s too slow for defence at present. Do you think looking forward he is a backup for Roo or Kozi if they go down?

RL: There is a couple of reasons…..
We are a little bit thin for tall forwards and there is no doubt about that potential backup.
We just wanted to give Matt the chance to take the game on and not follow someone around. His level of frustration is obviously building, he’s probably played 9 or 10 games in a row….
Is elite the right term? He is certainly a bonefide AFL player….. so it’s been tough.
We wanted to create some opportunities more than waiting for an opportunity down back,….. and we also believe he can be a mobile ruckman
So he’s a terrific character and we think he is really going to play a part this year, how big a part we just don’t know yet !

Sounds all good to me Sainters!!

fingers
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
Dont over analyze it. He is not ghoing to jump at a shadow. Gilbert dropped one mark that is out of character. ie not in his normal pattern of play. If he saw a pattern forming then there is something to worry about and address.

No pattern - no issue. It was a one off.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

fingers wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
Dont over analyze it. He is not ghoing to jump at a shadow. Gilbert dropped one mark that is out of character. ie not in his normal pattern of play. If he saw a pattern forming then there is something to worry about and address.

No pattern - no issue. It was a one off.
i didn't see the interview so i had no idea of the context. it was just an interesting quote that i was curious about.

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

I rated him highly from day one, knew we had the right coach back in 2006 when he was appointed, but then again I am a visionary so that is to be expected!

It's pleasing to see all the nuff nuffs and GT doll worshippers finally getting a clue and realizing that we now finally have a genuine Real McCoy coach!

After round 3 of 2007 at TBO after we were flogged by Port at AAMI by over 10 goals I said to RL, I know you will eventually be a great coach for us, but then again I am a visionary so that is to be expected!

It took sometime to redress the issues with our list, which anyone with a clue would know would take at least two years to do, after the shambolic mismanagement of the previous football department which had sent our list into decline with too many slow players, too many wasted trades and selections on the wrong types of players, poor development of the entire list and next to no rookies etc...etc...

What Lyon and the new look football department have managed to do in such a short space of time is truly remarkable and very pleasing!

Amateur hour has come and gone and it's pleasing to know that this has been replaced by quite possibly one of the most professional football departments in Australia.

All the dingbats who banged on about Lyon being a dinosaur, a Sydney clone, a clown etc...etc... have shown themselves up for being, when it comes to football matters at least, nothing more than a bunch of know nothing flogs!

Lyon is the consummate professional, chooses his words very carefully, as opposed to the tactless buffoon who also happens to think that fitness and conditioning staff are overrated and I knew from day one that we finally had a Real McCoy coach, but then again I am a visionary, so that is to be expected!

It's pleasing to see the nuffies, numbnuts, nongs and nit wits finally getting a clue but it was obvious from day one that we were finally getting serious after winging it with a conman for 5 and half years!

Very pleasing indeed!

DO THE MATHS AND THE SQUARES ARE ALL ROOTED.
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Well, I never pledged my support to either camp when I started posting on here last year.

I am rapt with RL and his quiet self assurance, I never disliked him but my only regret is that I didn't put more faith in him at the beginning.

I take comfort from the fact that in being non-commital, at least no old thread can be thrown up to make me feel extremely silly :wink: