AFL NUMBNUTS

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

AFL NUMBNUTS

FAIR DINKUM

The whole Monday night experiment is a complete crock to begin with BUT if you're going to schedule teams to play on a Monday night then at least you can fixture them in the next round against an opponent who played on the previous Sunday and not a Friday night.

This fixturing alone could cost a team playing on the Monday night a win in the following game of the next weekend.

I said all week that we would be under the pump after only having a 6 day break as opposed to Essendon's 9 day break and that we'd want to establish a handy lead by half time because their quick young players would run us off our legs in the second half.

I tipped us to win by 24 points in a bit of a struggle!

This was always going to be a danger game if for nothing else but the AFL's stupid Monday night experiment.

If we'd had the extra day we would have won by closer to 8 goals.

Personally I like the idea of a Monday night experiment but this would involve Demetriou covered in honey, tied to a tree up against a bee hive in very close proximity, lets' say for arguments sake, make it fair and give them both a 6 inch break.

FAIR DINKUM

The sooner this arsewipe gets booted the better!

DO THE MATHS AND THE SQUARES ARE ALL ROOTED.
Go Sainters Go
Club Player

Well said B4E. For the first time, I happen to agree with you.

Once a "Saint" always a trueblooded "Saint"
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Agreed.

Also the softness regarding clash jumpers.

Definition: Clash Jumper
...An alternative jumper that eliminates a clash of colours against the traditional jumpers of opponents.

What happened yesterday was St Kilda wearing their clash jumper because Essendon's clash jumper still clashed with our traditional jumper.

You would think the AFL was being run by a bunch of monkeys...Allowing both teams to wear alternative jumpers.

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

Go Sainters Go wrote:Well said B4E. For the first time, I happen to agree with you.
How does it feel to be right for a change?

8-)

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:Agreed.

...An alternative jumper that eliminates a clash of colours against the traditional jumpers of opponents.

What happened yesterday was St Kilda wearing their clash jumper because Essendon's clash jumper still clashed with our traditional jumper.

You would think the AFL was being run by a bunch of monkeys...Allowing both teams to wear alternative jumpers.
Hang on a minute, are you inferring that Demetriou now paying himself almost one million dollars a year more than what he was paying himself two years ago, is somehow not justified?

FAIR DINKUM

This filthy fat pig has his nose firmly planted in the trough and his head araldited up his arse!

Pazza
Club Player

Something about an agreement between the 2 clubs apparently (was mentioned last night on SEN)

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Pazza wrote:

Something about an agreement between the 2 clubs apparently (was mentioned last night on SEN)
From what I know it was an agreement in good by on behalf of St Kilda.....

The issue exists because that poor excuse for a clash jumper by Essendon was passed by the AFL.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

The draw is so simple to do.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:The draw is so simple to do.
First of all its a 'fixture'.....it isn't a 'draw'.

And it should be a simple exercise given that the entire fixture is built around a select few of teams.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:
plugger66 wrote:The draw is so simple to do.
First of all its a 'fixture'.....it isn't a 'draw'.

And it should be a simple exercise given that the entire fixture is built around a select few of teams.
Yes simple then.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

agreed on both counts

The concept of the clash jumpers was to create an opposite colour to the normal jumper (usually making it lighter). To allow essendon to use a dark clash jumper was a stupid decision and the results could be seen yesterday.

can't believe they couldn't find a team that played on sunday for both teams (pies and saints) to play.

poor from a professional league

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Solar wrote:The concept of the clash jumpers was to create an opposite colour to the normal jumper (usually making it lighter). To allow essendon to use a dark clash jumper was a stupid decision and the results could be seen yesterday.
essendon only have two colours and they're both dark. the only colour that distinguishes the two teams is the white in st kilda's jumper. therefore, when st kilda plays essendon, st kilda have to wear predominantly white.

how else can you do it?

Solar
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
Solar wrote:The concept of the clash jumpers was to create an opposite colour to the normal jumper (usually making it lighter). To allow essendon to use a dark clash jumper was a stupid decision and the results could be seen yesterday.
essendon only have two colours and they're both dark. the only colour that distinguishes the two teams is the white in st kilda's jumper. therefore, when st kilda plays essendon, st kilda have to wear predominantly white.

how else can you do it?
all red (including shorts and socks) with a thin black sash. Or a grey jumper (was good enough for melbourne to play in similar) with red. Right now it's a slightly bigger red. All happened because essendon jumped up and down about their consitution and how they couldn't chnge the jumper. AFL should have told them "change it or be fined everytime you don't wear the clash jumper".

st kilda do not have to do anything for their home game. They decided to because of the mess the AFL created.

FQF
In richo I trust

Nattens
Club Player

bergholt wrote:

how else can you do it?
Essendon can wear a pink stripe with a grey background. Satisfies their constitution and it satisfies me :)

kaos theory
Club Player

how else can you do it?
They should use another colour. The demons, hawks, etc have a clash jumper with other colours in them to lighten them up. Maybe they could use grey...

Point is the clash jumber is supposed to be able to be use against the teams their original colours clash with.

The afl's rules on this are hopless & inconsistent. the pies & bummers seem to be exempt from this.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Solar wrote:
bergholt wrote:essendon only have two colours and they're both dark. the only colour that distinguishes the two teams is the white in st kilda's jumper. therefore, when st kilda plays essendon, st kilda have to wear predominantly white.

how else can you do it?
all red (including shorts and socks) with a thin black sash. Or a grey jumper (was good enough for melbourne to play in similar) with red. Right now it's a slightly bigger red. All happened because essendon jumped up and down about their consitution and how they couldn't chnge the jumper. AFL should have told them "change it or be fined everytime you don't wear the clash jumper".

st kilda do not have to do anything for their home game. They decided to because of the mess the AFL created.
i agree that essendon and collingwood shouldn't have been allowed to sook about their jumpers. but essendon wearing all (dark) red with white numbers, st kilda having a black back with white numbers still sounds like a clash to me.

i care about the team's performance but the jumper's just a symbol. they can play in the yellow forever for all i care. i thought the team looked good last night and it was perfectly easy to tell the teams apart. everyone wins.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:

how else can you do it?
Melbourne only have two colours and they're both dark. I could go on, Brisbane, Adelaide, hey Carlton only have one colour and it's dark.

All these teams are able to come up with an acceptable clash jumper.

Why are Essendon and Collingwood the only teams that are allowed to do what they like?

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Solar
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
Solar wrote:
bergholt wrote:essendon only have two colours and they're both dark. the only colour that distinguishes the two teams is the white in st kilda's jumper. therefore, when st kilda plays essendon, st kilda have to wear predominantly white.

how else can you do it?

i agree that essendon and collingwood shouldn't have been allowed to sook about their jumpers. but essendon wearing all (dark) red with white numbers, st kilda having a black back with white numbers still sounds like a clash to me.

i care about the team's performance but the jumper's just a symbol. they can play in the yellow forever for all i care. i thought the team looked good last night and it was perfectly easy to tell the teams apart. everyone wins.
go watch some 70's football with the bright colours. Having 95% bright red would creae a very big difference with the almost all black st kilda home strip. Or as others suggest, force them to use a similar but different colour. The league has shown that they can force the clubs to do alot of things, why not just be consistant. What is essendon going to do except go to the media? not sure that will help them toe honest. The AFL dropped the ball, nothing more nothing less.

FQF
In richo I trust

ThePunter
Club Player

Ok, so we don't get the classic back-to-back-to-back six day breaks of 2006 (with the first two games being interstate). But look at this:

Round 7-8: 5 days, 21 hours, 20 minutes
Round 8-9: 6 days, 21 hours, 30 minutes
Round 9-10: 6 days, 5 hours (flight to Cooloongatta)
Round 10-11: 6 days, 17 hours (flight to Melbourne)
Round 11-12: 6 days, 5 hours, 30 minutes

We have five short breaks in a row, and at the end of that run, we have Carlton. After Carlton we have a 16 day break. Go figure.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

ThePunter wrote:Ok, so we don't get the classic back-to-back-to-back six day breaks of 2006 (with the first two games being interstate). But look at this:

Round 7-8: 5 days, 21 hours, 20 minutes
Round 8-9: 6 days, 21 hours, 30 minutes
Round 9-10: 6 days, 5 hours (flight to Cooloongatta)
Round 10-11: 6 days, 17 hours (flight to Melbourne)
Round 11-12: 6 days, 5 hours, 30 minutes

We have five short breaks in a row, and at the end of that run, we have Carlton. After Carlton we have a 16 day break. Go figure.
Some of you guys have short memories. In the first 6 games we either played sides with the exact same break or a less of a break. This week is a 7 day break and for anyone to worry about 2 and half hours is stupid. Does that mean you are also on a short break if you play the 2.10 game on the Sunday and the next week you play the 1.10 game. The short breaks are only when you have one less day to sleep. They shouldnt and wouldnt even count days when you play at night the previous week and then play in the day the next week. Clubs would call that a 7 day break which it is.

Pazza
Club Player

Jumper clash and constitution

Just on the jumper clash..I must admit I found it unusual for both team to wear their clash strips yesterday.

St. Kilda's is a good example of how it should be done right.

I cannot understand why we at Essendon wore black shorts though. I think that jumper is better suited with the old red shorts..as we wore against you a couple of years back and you guys wore the black shorts and normal jumper.

Just on the constitution of Essendon - I was one of the members at the time who voted on it - now I can't remember word for word, but, i am confident that it states that our colours shall be black and red. Nowhere in it, does it state that the jumper design shall be black with a red sash - but, because we basically haven't changed that simple design too much, people are used to it being like that.

If I was to design an Essendon clash uniform, it is the red that could be best used. Red shorts, predominatly red socks, predominantly red jumper (a couple of years back, we had basically all red training tops with white numbers).

But, in order for that to happen, any change in jumper design has to be approved by a majority of Essendon's 40000 or so members. Good luck ever trying to achieve that I'd probably suggest.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

Re: Jumper clash and constitution

Pazza wrote:Just on the jumper clash..I must admit I found it unusual for both team to wear their clash strips yesterday.

I cannot understand why we at Essendon wore black shorts though. I think that jumper is better suited with the old red shorts..as we wore against you a couple of years back and you guys wore the black shorts and normal jumper.

Just on the constitution of Essendon - I was one of the members at the time who voted on it - now I can't remember word for word, but, i am confident that it states that our colours shall be black and red. Nowhere in it, does it state that the jumper design shall be black with a red sash - but, because we basically haven't changed that simple design too much, people are used to it being like that.

If I was to design an Essendon clash uniform, it is the red that could be best used. Red shorts, predominatly red socks, predominantly red jumper (a couple of years back, we had basically all red training tops with white numbers).

But, in order for that to happen, any change in jumper design has to be approved by a majority of Essendon's 40000 or so members. Good luck ever trying to achieve that I'd probably suggest.
hey pazza,

do you think that the essendon faithful would if they AFL put enough pressure on (fines, points etc.?).

btw thanks for the insight. still think your a bunch of arrogant bastards but really enjoy the imput :D

FQF
In richo I trust

Pazza
Club Player

Solar wrote:
Pazza wrote:Just on the jumper clash..I must admit I found it unusual for both team to wear their clash strips yesterday.

hey pazza,

do you think that the essendon faithful would if they AFL put enough pressure on (fines, points etc.?).

btw thanks for the insight. still think your a bunch of arrogant bastards but really enjoy the imput :D
When the whole thing blew up a few years back, both Collingwood and Essendon fans signed what can only be described as a huge petition to try and force the AFL's hand on it...I was one of the few who didn't. I was approached on Anzac Day and the weeks after that to sign it. Personally, I didi't want it to happen, but, I saw the AFL's viewpoint. Even Essendon's cheer squad during the debate tried what North did a couple of weeks back and incorporated the jumper design onto the banner (I think we played Hawthorn that day)

Nothing would surprise me with Essendon fans or Collingwood fans for that matter. Hindsight is probably a good thing in that we sat on our hands for a decade whilst other clubs, including the Saints, trialled and tested different jumpers...some clubs making a good bit on the side from the sale of them (e.g. North Melbourne).

Not like me to advertise anything, but, this site might be of benefit:

http://www.footyjumpers.com

As for the arrogant bit - been called worse

:wink:

asiu

barks4eva wrote:
....in very close proximity, lets' say for arguments sake, make it fair and give them both a 6 inch break.

was thinking along those lines at the footy last night !

fair dinkum mate , keep yr hands off my girlfriend

Solar
Saintsational Legend

Pazza wrote:
Solar wrote:

hey pazza,

When the whole thing blew up a few years back, both Collingwood and Essendon fans signed what can only be described as a huge petition to try and force the AFL's hand on it...I was one of the few who didn't. I was approached on Anzac Day and the weeks after that to sign it. Personally, I didi't want it to happen, but, I saw the AFL's viewpoint. Even Essendon's cheer squad during the debate tried what North did a couple of weeks back and incorporated the jumper design onto the banner (I think we played Hawthorn that day)

Nothing would surprise me with Essendon fans or Collingwood fans for that matter. Hindsight is probably a good thing in that we sat on our hands for a decade whilst other clubs, including the Saints, trialled and tested different jumpers...some clubs making a good bit on the side from the sale of them (e.g. North Melbourne).

Not like me to advertise anything, but, this site might be of benefit:

http://www.footyjumpers.com

As for the arrogant bit - been called worse

:wink:
thanks again

btw enjoy the rest of the season, your boys look very exciting and skillful. At least you get your money's worth!

FQF
In richo I trust