Goose or Gwilt?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Richter
SS Life Member

To the top wrote:Gwilt was far better than either Milne or Schnieder tonight.

And I thought Gardiner was again supurb.
Agree re. our small forwards. Not sure about MG. Ryder played pretty well for them and was MG's opponent.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
Griggsy
SS Life Member

I liked Gwilt tbh. Beat Mcphee and another bomber at the very start of the game, and was breaking tackles and delivering.

However. Goose has been trapped on 99 games for too long!

And i wouldnt know who else to drop.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Gwilt wasn't in our bottom 4 tonight. He was very good early on, having a hand in setting up 3 scoring shots in the first quarter. Like most, he dropped off after the first quarter but he bobbed up every now and then taking some good marks.

And I'm far from convinced that Maguire could play forward in the AFL. He's much slower and less agile than Gwilt, not to mention much more prone to giving away free kicks. If he has a future it will be in a Tom Harley role, loosely playing on a forward while drifting around half back.

widereceiver
Club Player

jackal wrote:Gwilt took a few marks and wasn't bad.
Milne, Gram, Goddard even Gilbert all played their worst game of the season. But we won.
Gwilt is the whipping boy who was interchanged for Blake on this forum. I disregard those posts now.

I totally disagree with this evaluation of Gilbert, who was repeatedly taking the ball out of the backline instead of Fisher, who was otherwise occupied.

I wonder what you were watching.

"Winning's not everything, it's the ONLY thing!" Vince Lombardi.
Sam Gilbert #1 booster - always on the attack!!!
Win more for Winmar
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Gwilt had 4 goal assists tonight - most in the side

Gram's form is a bigger concern - 54% disposal efficiency from 13 disposals and 1 tackle

Maguire could replace Gram off half back and give run thru the middle or at least this could release Fisher thru the middle
Last edited by Devilhead on Sun 17 May 2009 11:39pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Solar
Saintsational Legend

maybe I saw the wrong match but thought gwilt was one of the few who was working hard and kept us in it when the game turned in the second quarter.

He is a defensive half forward who generally ends up playing very high. Ross likes his half forwards to wrk up to the wing and work back with the flow of the ball.

contested very well, works better when his team mates work him into space as his left foot is very damaging.

There were many many more worse then jimmy on the night.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
maverick
Saintsational Legend

I thought it was Gwilt's best game this year, we had a lot of players treading water and turning the ball over, of the so called bottom six, I thought he and Geary were the pick.

Both took players and the game on when needed and did some very nice things, and little wrong IMO.

Gwilt is a solid overhead mark for his size, an excellent kick, solid tackler and quicker than most on here give credit for. He is also an improving decision maker.

I think Gwilt needs to give more, but on tonight's performance should stay.

westy
Club Player

saintspremiers wrote:
Eastern wrote:Possesion is 9/10ths of the Law. Jimmy G has possesion of a spot in the side right now !!
Yeah but it was crap win.....Essendon won the last 3 quarters, can't compare to the other 7 wins.....question is, was it the 6 day break that farked us up, or were we complacent?
Dead right. Over here in the west I listened on the radio and there were number of big name players that weren't mentioned too often! Jimmy Gwilt (I wish he wold get the Henrdix affro going again) on the other hand, did get mentioned. It sounded a lot like the boys didn't give Essendon any consideration as to whether they were a threat and it nearly cost us a win.

I'm livin' in a madhouse
Beekay
SS Life Member

To the top wrote: A throw back to the type of game which typifies why I have a history of questioning his value to the team.
:oops:

You're an embarrassment.

sainter2631
Club Player

In the last few weeks our bottom six and our top six haven't had that much of a gap between them, however tonight it seemed more like last year where our bottom six and top six seemed miles apart (and whats worse is that players in our bottom six, namely gram, would usually be in our best).

Yes, we won, so Ross will probably keep to his unchanged philosophy- but I don't know if Maguire can push any harder for selection, playing out of his normal position and kicking 10 goals in two weeks. Raph Clarke also kicked 2 goals and Eddy obviously did some good work in the midfield being named in the best.

Just something to note, Hudghton got 11 posessions, 8 marks today- source heraldsun.com.au.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

sainter2631 wrote:In the last few weeks our bottom six and our top six haven't had that much of a gap between them, however tonight it seemed more like last year where our bottom six and top six seemed miles apart (and whats worse is that players in our bottom six, namely gram, would usually be in our best).

Yes, we won, so Ross will probably keep to his unchanged philosophy- but I don't know if Maguire can push any harder for selection, playing out of his normal position and kicking 5 goals in the last two weeks. Raph Clarke also kicked 2 goals and Eddy obviously did some good work in the midfield being named in the best.

Just something to note, Hudghton got 11 posessions, 8 marks today- source heraldsun.com.au.
So after all that information for any of them to play someone must be dropped. Who would you omit?

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Beekay wrote:
To the top wrote: A throw back to the type of game which typifies why I have a history of questioning his value to the team.
:oops:

You're an embarrassment.

seconded...........anybody who questions milne's value to the team knows f*** all about footy..... :roll: :roll: :roll:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
sainter2631
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
sainter2631 wrote:In the last few weeks our bottom six and our top six haven't had that much of a gap between them, however tonight it seemed more like last year where our bottom six and top six seemed miles apart (and whats worse is that players in our bottom six, namely gram, would usually be in our best).

Yes, we won, so Ross will probably keep to his unchanged philosophy- but I don't know if Maguire can push any harder for selection, playing out of his normal position and kicking 5 goals in the last two weeks. Raph Clarke also kicked 2 goals and Eddy obviously did some good work in the midfield being named in the best.

So after all that information for any of them to play someone must be dropped. Who would you omit?
Well my initial opinion was to drop Gwilt (but thankfully I am not on the selection commitee as a lot of people thought he played his best game tonight- something I obviously missed where I was sitting).

Thats my opinion however I believe the reality will be, barring injury, an unchanged side heading into Sundays game against Brisbane.

ace
Saintsational Legend

2 weeks in a row.

It doesn't matter what Gwilt did, look at what his opponent did.

Last week Maxwell regulary left Gwilt to go help out against Riewoldt.
This week it was McPhee's turn.
Mc Phee did not target Riewoldt but instead left Gwilt to play loose man in defence.

Both weeks the opposition recognised St Kilda does not play through Gwilt even if he is left alone.
They both played a good defender on Gwilt and that defender hurt St Kilda big time.

There were times when St Kilda setup with Gwilt in the goal square just to make his opponent accountable.

If there is a player who can command more respect from the opposition that player must be brought in place of Gwilt

I doubt that opponents would be so willing to leave Goose alone on the forward line.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

Gram - is having a fairly bad run at the moment - whether it is injury (as you mentioned last week) or just loss of form it seems as though he could do with either having a week off or a run in the twos

Doesn't be suprised if he goes

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Legendary wrote:Schneider played a great game I thought ... had 8 tackles
Not sure it was great but certainly a good game by Schneider, his pressure, chasing and tackling were very good.

I also believe Gwilt's main challenge will come from Raph. Depending on his fitness and I imagine targets set by Sandy will decide whether there's anything to discuss at selection.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Gram - is having a fairly bad run at the moment - whether it is injury (as you mentioned last week) or just loss of form it seems as though he could do with either having a week off or a run in the twos

I must see different games to some but Grammy has been pretty good all year. No hope of being dropped. A major player for the saints because of his run and carry.

sainter2631
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
Devilhead wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

I must see different games to some but Grammy has been pretty good all year. No hope of being dropped. A major player for the saints because of his run and carry.
Agreed. He wasn't his usual damaging self but he was involved in some crucial plays and brought some needed run to the game when it had stagnated.

westy
Club Player

Schneiderman has dropped off a bit in the last couple of games. So has Mr. Gramm

I'm livin' in a madhouse
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Last couple of games? Last week he kicked 5 :shock:

ark
Club Player

Schneider - 5 goals vs Filth last week..

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

westy wrote:Schneiderman has dropped off a bit in the last couple of games. So has Mr. Gramm
Very true. Schneider did nothing against the pies and was poor again tonight.

sainter2631
Club Player

I'd be extremely interested in seeing a great game from Schneider if kicking 5 goals is seen as 'dropping off' :lol:

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote: I must see different games to some but Grammy has been pretty good all year. No hope of being dropped. A major player for the saints because of his run and carry.
Well I have made no secret that I thought that Gram was down on form last week where he squibbed a few tackling situations and now today when he pretty much well had a shocker

It has been mentioned in the injuries thread that he was limping badly after the game and last week you also mentioned that you thought he hurt his shoulder after being tackled

If he is playing injured then he should not be playing either way I think he ha been down on form and may well be replaced with Raph or Maguire who also can provide run and carry and break lines

As I said I have nothing against Grammy however his disposal today and some of his efforts last week were 2nd rate

vacuous space
SS Life Member

I love Goose, but unless Ross completely rejigs the forward line, I don't think he's getting a game there right now. We might be able to push Roo up the ground or play Kosi in the ruck to make space for Goose, but why are we messing with a forward line that's working?

Ross likes a setup with two key forwards. Goose isn't good enough at ground level to be anything but a key forward. I'm not as worried about his speed as some, but I'd wonder whether he has the tank to deal with an AFL-level defender. If Gwilt's going out for anybody, it's probably Eddy.

If Goose keeps playing well at VFL-level, he'll get a shot eventually. I don't see the urgency to get him in though. I think our forwards are functioning quite well.

Yeah nah pleasing positive