Possible Changes v Essendon

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:Gwilt's a favourite whipping boy (as was Raph last year), but anyone can tell he's playing well...
seriously? he's anonymous! list the good things he did last week.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
degruch wrote:Gwilt's a favourite whipping boy (as was Raph last year), but anyone can tell he's playing well...
seriously? he's anonymous! list the good things he did last week.
Go dig up your old thread if you want to get the whip out again.

iremember66
Club Player

Difficult to drop anyone whilst we are winning.

I'd like to see Gwilt get as much game time as possible - he's getting better and better.

Good to have the luxury of good players ready to come back in - keeps pressure up on everyone...

All are playing well and confidence is clearly high

or,

Confidence is clearly high and all are playing well.

I think that matters...

:shock:

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

I reckon by the time we reach the finals Geary will be flying....

With another 15 games under his belt I reckon he will be a lot more productive as at times he still rushes things. More games should rectidy this.

with Gwilt..I am hopeful that more games will have likewise affect.

But I am more confident in Geary becoming player that can deliver each and every week.

This week against the inexperienced and younger Dons who will no doubt trya and play an open attacking game plan.......Gwilt may well have day out. Just a feeling....

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Unforgiven
SS Life Member

saintsRrising wrote: This week against the inexperienced and younger Dons who will no doubt trya and play an open attacking game plan.......Gwilt may well have day out. Just a feeling....
Agree completely, also Goose hopefuly gets another chance up forward to show that last week wasn't a one off.

Carpe Diem
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:This week against the inexperienced and younger Dons who will no doubt trya and play an open attacking game plan.......Gwilt may well have day out. Just a feeling.
well, he's due for one with just the three goals for the season.

... which is not to deny that he's been of some value as a defensive forward.

bjmel1

My only worry this week is us coming off a 6 day break to the Bombers coming off a 9 day break (rubbish fixturing in my opinion). I think there should be no form changes but if there are 1 or 2 players that are sore, they should be replaced. Both Raph and Eddy are fresh and I don't think we can afford to be struggling for runners against the fast Bombers and also if this game isn't sewn up by 3 qrt time I will be worried. We are much better than the Bombers and should win, but the fixturing does open up the game for them. Biggest danger game so far in my opinion to date.

I think we must keep our structure by playing Big Mc, I love 2 ruckmen and Kosi up forward. Gwilt does worry me. Playing as the 3rd forward (Gilberts preseason role) he has to have a much bigger impact on the scoreboard. Yes, his first role is his defensive pressure (doing it very well) but we have won by over 10 goals a few times this year and he has contributed 3 goals for the year. I know he hasn't played forward every minute of every game as well but that is pretty poor output considering all the factors. Only has 3 goal assists as well.

Mr X from the West
Club Player

bjmel1 wrote:My only worry this week is us coming off a 6 day break to the Bombers coming off a 9 day break (rubbish fixturing in my opinion). I think there should be no form changes but if there are 1 or 2 players that are sore, they should be replaced. Both Raph and Eddy are fresh and I don't think we can afford to be struggling for runners against the fast Bombers and also if this game isn't sewn up by 3 qrt time I will be worried. We are much better than the Bombers and should win, but the fixturing does open up the game for them. Biggest danger game so far in my opinion to date.

I think we must keep our structure by playing Big Mc, I love 2 ruckmen and Kosi up forward. Gwilt does worry me. Playing as the 3rd forward (Gilberts preseason role) he has to have a much bigger impact on the scoreboard. Yes, his first role is his defensive pressure (doing it very well) but we have won by over 10 goals a few times this year and he has contributed 3 goals for the year. I know he hasn't played forward every minute of every game as well but that is pretty poor output considering all the factors. Only has 3 goal assists as well.
Good point. But the alternatives worry me. Gilbert going forward would possibly mean McGuire coming in and playing back. I am not sure McGuire would fit into our game plan that well at the minute - he tends to take the wrong option under pressure. Hope I'm wrong, but he needs more time in the 2's in my view.

"Blow out the candle I will burn again tomorrow"
Baldock Rules
Club Player

No change!

If it ain't broke.

King back when fit .Maguire, Max and R.Clarke back if anyone half falters.

There are freaks and freaks and Baldock was both of those.
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Baldock Rules wrote:No change!

If it ain't broke.
hang on, so was it broke two weeks ago when eddy played? we won, so i guess that means we shouldn't have made a change.

but then eddy was sick so we made a change, and we won again.

now eddy's fit again. does that mean we should get eddy back into the team, because that would be not changing the team from two weeks ago? or we should keep the same team as last week?

i'm confused.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
Baldock Rules wrote:No change!

If it ain't broke.
hang on, so was it broke two weeks ago when eddy played? we won, so i guess that means we shouldn't have made a change.

but then eddy was sick so we made a change, and we won again.

now eddy's fit again. does that mean we should get eddy back into the team, because that would be not changing the team from two weeks ago? or we should keep the same team as last week?

i'm confused.
On both occassions, I believe, that the changes were made because of match-ups.
If I am correct then the team is only being changed for the following reasons:-
injury/illness
a perceived need to strengthen a specific area against the opposition.

Nothing to do with broke/unbroke and everything to do with the opposition we are facing that week.

I don't see anything wrong with that.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:On both occassions, I believe, that the changes were made because of match-ups.
If I am correct then the team is only being changed for the following reasons:-
injury/illness
a perceived need to strengthen a specific area against the opposition.

Nothing to do with broke/unbroke and everything to do with the opposition we are facing that week.

I don't see anything wrong with that.
fair enough. given that we never play the same team two weeks in a row, i suppose every week some changes can be made, right?

basically, if you can make changes to the team that won last week to improve it for this week, you should do that. if the team would be improved by replacing players in poor form, it should be done. just because we had a win last week against a team with some players underperforming doesn't mean that we'll have a win this week against a completely different team with those players still in the side.

none of this "never change a winning team" crap.

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Possible Changes v Essendon

saint patrick wrote:In:King Out: McEvoy or no change.

Raph,Max ,Goose and Armo all pressing hard but no-one deserves to be dropped at this stage.
Spot on... nice work.

Apologies to any who took exception to my jumping on the other selection thread... it was a long day and I got this one confused with one of the Gwilt/Goose discussions. :oops:

SaintDebi
Club Player

I hate to single out and bag any particular player, so I wont. I will say that although I don't believe there are any passengers in the side at the moment, I do feel there are some who are not at the same skill level as the majority of the team but I don't have a strong opinion about changes at the moment. The club is doing something right this season so I'm happy to trust their judgement.
However the point of this post is to address the "if its not broke, don't fix it" brigade.
Just because a combination is working really well doesn't neccesarily mean there are not options for making it better. If for instance (heaven forbid) Roo or Lenny or BJ were to be forced out of the team for an extended time either through suspension, injury, whatever; and the team continued to win, would we not want them back in as soon as practicable? Or would we be saying, "We're winning. Why change a winning structure?".Or is there one rule for some and another for others when taking this line of thinking.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I would like to think, and it's been proven....that we are selecting teams on form and endeavour, rather than reputation.

This being said, any changes made this week could be because of potential matchups. As long as we also have players that are well suited to some of the baby bombers that are in great form, then I am satisfied.

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

SaintDebi wrote:Or is there one rule for some and another for others when taking this line of thinking.
It seems to be that if a player is only out for a couple of weeks with a minor injury they go straight back in, but any longer and they are waiting in line. Hence Kosi and King come back in but Raph Clarke has to wait for an opening.

SaintDebi
Club Player

InkerSaint wrote:
SaintDebi wrote:Or is there one rule for some and another for others when taking this line of thinking.
It seems to be that if a player is only out for a couple of weeks with a minor injury they go straight back in, but any longer and they are waiting in line. Hence Kosi and King come back in but Raph Clarke has to wait for an opening.
So if Roo or Lenny were out for an extended period...........?

SaintWodonga
Club Player

So the official team is King in Mac Out? Can not see official teams... Anyone got a link?

Tony Lockett kicks 10 goals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v4ZQJHjlvM
MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

SaintWodonga wrote:So the official team is King in Mac Out? Can not see official teams... Anyone got a link?
Yes that's right, todays' H-Sun has - In King Out McEvoy :shock:

I think yesterday the AFL site had in King, out Armitage :roll:

Stand your ground :shock:
ace
Saintsational Legend

SaintWodonga wrote:So the official team is King in Mac Out? Can not see official teams... Anyone got a link?
http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/ ... fault.aspx

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA