Bring on the Dons...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Bring on the Dons...

I can't wait to see how we handle their pace through the middle.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
SainterX
Club Player

Same as Round 22 last year, but with more pain for them :P

Only difference being that Maxy likely won't get to take Pretty Boy Lloyd to school again.

A true king doesn't glass his girlfriend.
A true king doesn't smear his blood on an opponent when he cannot break a tag.
A true king does not label umpires disgraceful.
A true king is Robert Harvey.
i_luv_nick_riewoldt
SS Life Member

so excited!!! Only 5 days to go! :D :D Bring on the baby bombers!!

Go saints in '09!
saintsrus
SS Hall of Fame

Had a good laugh on Sen this morning, they were talking about if we played Geelong next week blah blah

A essendon supporter said dont worry about Geelong they have the bombers coming up

Before Im 85
Hugh Drod
Club Player

well kill the bombers.

There kids won't be able to handle our pressure all match.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Essendon are very much an unknown quantity, their best is excellent, their worst is dreadful.

The key will be to get a great start, kick the first couple of goals and they will begin to panic and they will lose their biggest assets, skills and confidence to run and break the lines.

Gardiner's performance will be crucial, not only does he need to beat Ryder but he needs to hurt him to have him looking over his shoulder the entire match and really take his influence out of the game.

CJ should go to Lovett and I'd be happy for no other tags to be made.

Pressure, tackle, bump and harass the opposition and it should be another win, keep doing the little things and the rest will follow.

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
Moccha
Saintsational Legend

Armoooo wrote:Essendon are very much an unknown quantity, their best is excellent, their worst is dreadful.
You've got it in one there. If you were a betting man which one do you reckon it will be?

Go with the odds?

Another opportunity awaits!
Legendary
Club Player

If Essendon play the way they did last week, then it will be our biggest challenge so far this year.

Make no mistake, their pressure and intensity and ball use against Hawthorn was outstanding.

As Armoooo said, their best is excellent. If they bring that came next week, then we'll be tested big time.

With only a 6-day break, compared to 9 for the Bombers, and against what is the fastest team in the AFL, we need to be careful.

Big test ... wouldn't mind bringing Eddy back in as another runner, the extra small might be handy.

Marcus1232
Club Player

We should be able to win this one comfortably IMO there biggest strength is that they like to run and gun through the middle thats what we want them to try and do they turn the ball over and we will kill them on the rebound.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Stanton!

Their skills are very good without close pressure and questionable otherwise. They are prepared to take risks from what I saw last week but as others have said, getting them to doubt will be our number one task. It's worked a treat against everyone so far.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Marcus1232 wrote:We should be able to win this one comfortably IMO there biggest strength is that they like to run and gun through the middle thats what we want them to try and do they turn the ball over and we will kill them on the rebound.
The rebound will be so important, if a couple of them see the abll fly over their heads after a turn over through the midfield they will begin to question themselves, this will make them hesitate for that quarter of a second that will allow our tackling pressure to really hurt them.

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
bungiton
SS Life Member

The interesting point is, our "zoning" if you call it that invites teams to use the corridor. This is the style of play the Bombres used against the Hawks, and will likely use against us. We offer space in the corridor, then suddenly shut it up, turn the ball over and run it back past them.

It's like saying well there it is see if you get it through before we turn you around. Expect to see Jones on Lovett-Murray,, for mine love to see Gilbo run with Ryder.

I'm sorry, you've gone through all the trouble to find out what this actually says and it really is quite insignificant.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

Legendary wrote:If Essendon play the way they did last week, then it will be our biggest challenge so far this year.

Make no mistake, their pressure and intensity and ball use against Hawthorn was outstanding.

As Armoooo said, their best is excellent. If they bring that came next week, then we'll be tested big time.

With only a 6-day break, compared to 9 for the Bombers, and against what is the fastest team in the AFL, we need to be careful.

Big test ... wouldn't mind bringing Eddy back in as another runner, the extra small might be handy.

eddie was only an out because he was ill.......good post though.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
jonesy
Saintsational Legend

The dons are punching well beyond there division at present. I still see there list as bottom 4. They've had some good wins,but they did early last year too don't forget.
As long we pull up ok after the shorter break and come to play they won't get near us. Though they might get a few late ones in junk time with fresher legs

Bring back the Lockett era
bigred
Saintsational Legend

Inconsistent at best.

Their best is good. Their worst is average.

The Hawks made them look faster than they are. Seriously, the Hawks were treacle.

Should be a good game.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Sobraz
SS Life Member

Essendon are a very decent team....

I actually think they are further advanced than Carlton, despite what the media produce....

They play a high risk, high reward game, which plays into our pressure cooker hands, but in saying that, if they get a run on, it can hurt....

Should be a good test....

Hugh Drod
Club Player

hawthron only just beat Carlton though, and they are s***.

markp
Saintsational Legend

A bit of danger game for mine.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

They certainly are playing great footy at the moment, but if I recall correctly....we played a similar "baby bomber" side late last year? 8-)

Marcus1232
Club Player

When the pressure gets put on the bombers they fall in a heap. Hawthorns pressure was non existent after the first quarter last week. We will keep the pressure up for 4 quarters and should leave the ground with another handy win

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Essendon took an incredible amount of risks up the corridor against Hawthorn and it paid off more than it usually does.

I don't really know how or why they got away with it as much as they did.

It really shouldn't have happened.

But Essendon took their chances. Good on 'em.

But Hawthorn were extraordinarily sluggish and, dare I say it becasue their performance last year contradicts me, they were pretty soft at it. Roughead and Cyril were really the only ones throwing themselves around with anything remotely close to conviction IMO.

St Kilda has more than two players who will exert pressure.

Essendon are quick, but speed is only effective in space. To get space, you need first use. Our clearance and stoppage work should really cause them some grief, I think. So too our physicality.

And, as young sides inevitably do, Essendon will be glowing in their own press all week.

I suspect they might be in for a bit of a rude shock.

Still, give them a sniff, and they'll back themselves.

All in all though I can't see them replicating the kind of showy stuff they got away with last Friday.

Second half of our game was soft as butter. 6 day turnaround means little IMO.

yipper
SS Life Member

I am happy they are playing well (bombers) cos that means we will get a good crowd for our home game. Maybe we can make a few bob this week at last !!

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Essendon are much improved on last year...but so are we!

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

Essendon a challenge? I don't think so.

Hawthorn leaked like a sieve. The Bombers will not even look like the same team this round. Expect them to turn to powder.

Collingwood looked good last week too.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Big danger game IMO

Would be much more worried about dropping this game then the game against the Pies.

Essendon are young, fast, and play with flair. Worst of all, is that they've had more time off to rest their legs

There major concern would be stopping Kosi and Roo
no Ryder to play back and no Fletcher either

Our major concern is their speed through the middle. King would be a big inclusion for us and would go along way towards negating Ryder's influence in the middle.
Around the ground we could pbly swing Blake onto him if we needed too... seems a good match up

Can't see their forwards hurting us

Big game from Goddard this week IMO

Wouldn't be surprised to see Gwilt dropped for a faster player (Raph)?.