Compared to us, Geelong have beaten nobody

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

kosifantutti23
SS Hall of Fame

Compared to us, Geelong have beaten nobody

Six games in, we can start looking at this year's form rather than last year's form or anybody's predictions of where teams would finish.

There are two teams anchored at the bottom with one win each. Geelong has played them both. We haven't played either.

There is one team clear in third. We beat them easily in Adelaide. Geelong hasn't played them.

Geelong have had one interstate game. We've had two.

Not saying we're better than them, but we certainly don't suffer in comparison, being 50% ahead with a harder draw so far.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

An average ladder position at the end of Round 6 shows that the teams we have beaten have an average ladder position of 8.83 and the teams Geelong have beaten 10.66. Whilst this does not prove much as the teams we have played may have played lower than average other teams as the year goes on it should give a clearer picture.

But as with all stats - pick the right way to read something and you can prove anything!

At the end of the day 22 wins and a percentage above 150 will give us the minor premiership!

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

Percentage is a deceptive figure with Geelong.

They have mastered the art of cruising, and putting the hammer down only when necessary.

They have had a few lucky escapes (Fremantle last year and Richmond this year) and only two beltings in what is otherwise a totally dominant two years.

I wouldn't be taking any comfort from those figures.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Given the way the season is panning out the games that matter are:

Saints, Cats, Hawks, Port Adelaide

Then:

Pies, Dogs, Blues, Crows

As these will shape final ladder position for the Top 4 spots..and who gets them.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Wed 06 May 2009 11:52pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
ace
Saintsational Legend

[quote="Sainter_Dad"]

But as with all stats - pick the right way to read something and you can prove anything!
[/quote]

I know what you mean, Kevin told us that a $20 billion surplus was good for us, now he is telling us that a $60 billion deficit is good for us. :roll:

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
Moccha
Saintsational Legend

Geelong doesn't have anything to prove

BakesFan
SS Life Member

Moccha wrote:Geelong doesn't have anything to prove
Until they meet us.

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.(Eleanor Roosevelt)
StSteven
Club Player

Worth remembering they have consistency over three seasons on their side. Something like 48 out of 51 games. And yet they lost the GF.

Enjoy winning the H&A but it means NOTHING in the Premiership race.

I cannot understnad the confidence / cockiness of some on here. I will wait and see.

HarveysDeciple

BakesFan wrote:
Until they meet us.
It's probably the other way around....that's our day to prove how close we are.

StSteven
Club Player

HarveysDeciple wrote:
BakesFan wrote:
Until they meet us.
Well said....

BakesFan
SS Life Member

HarveysDeciple wrote:
BakesFan wrote:
Until they meet us.
or how far ahead we are :D

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.(Eleanor Roosevelt)
StSteven
Club Player

I don't know if you watch other teams but if you do you would know we are NOT ahead of Geelong. That does not mean that we can't beat them on any given day.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

In theory, IF we make the GF it should be next to impossible to beat them.

Reason is simple: They lost last year in a game that they expected to win, and will be so dirty that their motivation should be unbelievable.

But a few key injuries in the Prelim could sort it out nicely for us!

kosifantutti23
SS Hall of Fame

saintspremiers wrote:In theory, IF we make the GF it should be next to impossible to beat them.

Reason is simple: They lost last year in a game that they expected to win, and will be so dirty that their motivation should be unbelievable.

OR

none of our players (except King and Schneider?) have ever won a flag. Some have played in 3 prelims. The hunger should be there more than Geelong's

Shaggy
Club Player

Geelong have won 47 out of last 50 games.

IMO best team I have ever seen.

Griggsy
SS Life Member

Shaggy wrote:Geelong have won 47 out of last 50 games.

Naaaa, doesnt count for much when you choke.

I'll take Brisbanes 3-peat over 47/50 games anyday!

HarveysDeciple

Griggsy wrote:
Shaggy wrote:Geelong have won 47 out of last 50 games.

Naaaa, doesnt count for much when you choke.

I'll take Brisbanes 3-peat over 47/50 games anyday!
That's right it's run on the board.

The cats are capable of winning multiple flags, but history has shown us how hard that is to do.
What Brisbane did was extraordinary and until someone matches that in the modern era the Lions are the best team I've seen.

The Linton Street Flash
Club Player

kosifantutti23 wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:In theory, IF we make the GF it should be next to impossible to beat them.

OR

none of our players (except King and Schneider?) have ever won a flag. Some have played in 3 prelims. The hunger should be there more than Geelong's
OR

Despite winning 48000 out of the last 50 (or whatever that dreary statistic is??), they still lost the 08 Grand Final and are still a bunch of soft c%^k Geelong pissants.

Huff and Puff as they may, it does not alter the fact that under their phony he-man exteriors, everyone knows they are little more than a bunch of blowhard arse munchers!

They lost last year - the trend will continue and history will remember them as the smart arse rabble that we all, deep down, know they are!

Couldabeens that never really were! (See Essendon 2000)

Gee-who??

Go Saints - F#%k Geelong!!

Look again it's the Flash!!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

The Linton Street Flash wrote:
kosifantutti23 wrote:

OR

OR

Despite winning 48000 out of the last 50 (or whatever that dreary statistic is??), they still lost the 08 Grand Final and are still a bunch of soft c%^k Geelong pissants.

Huff and Puff as they may, it does not alter the fact that under their phony he-man exteriors, everyone knows they are little more than a bunch of pussies!

They lost last year - the trend will continue and history will remember them as the smart arse rabble that we all, deep down, know they are!

You are right. Their record is poor. Only one flag and a GF in the last 2 years compared to our one flag in 111 years and 1 GF in the last 37. They are a great side and hopefully we can stop them being truely great by winning rge GF this year.

The Linton Street Flash
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
kosifantutti23 wrote:

OR

OR

Huff and Puff as they may, it does not alter the fact that under their phony he-man exteriors, everyone knows they are little more than a bunch of pussies!

You are right. Their record is poor. Only one flag and a GF in the last 2 years compared to our one flag in 111 years and 1 GF in the last 37. They are a great side and hopefully we can stop them being truely great by winning rge GF this year.
Blah blah blahdy blah - Booorrrrrinnnnggggggg!!!!!!!!!

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Look again it's the Flash!!
StSteven
Club Player

Oh I must have a bad memory....we won did we? Let's just enjoy winning and keep it in perspective.

Otherwise I suspect there "will be tears before bedtime".

HarveysDeciple

plugger66 wrote:
kosifantutti23 wrote:

OR

OR

Blah blah blahdy blah - Booorrrrrinnnnggggggg!!!!!!!!!

:roll: :roll: :roll:
Lol. One of the angriest men of all time :wink: