Our Next Mission ---- Collingwood -----

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Our Next Mission ---- Collingwood -----

I am very happy that Collingwood won on Friday night, it really gets rid of their need to 'bounce back'. Also they have struggled to win two in a row this season so hopefully this will trend will continue.

It will be interesting to see who their ins are, Heath Shaw, Didak and Rocca could all be back this week which would really help their structure, and I think we are all hoping for the Rocca V Dawson rematch.

It will be a really interesting match technically.

The way I see it, Collingwood's game plan involves them chipping along the boundary and then kicking it long into the forward 50 and rely on marks from their talls and spillage from their smalls.

The interesting thing is that St Kilda have been trying to force teams out wide and have then moved the zone to force them to kick it to a contest. IMO this tells me that Collingwood's game plan has already taken care of the first part of our game plan and falls right into our hands.

Let's face it their talls are nothing special in Trav Cloke and Rocca so the key will be keeping their smalls quiet, which we have been able to do to pretty good effect in the past two weeks against teams with similar set ups.

If our intensity is up and our accuracy improves we should be able to beat them pretty comfortably IMO.

Some of the matchups I'm hoping to see -

CJ vs Davis - Davis is in great form and can be deadly when he has the ball in his hands, CJ has the pace and tank to shut him down and hurt him on the rebound.

Hayes vs Swan - like vs like, two hardnuts who find plenty of the ball going against each other, would be a great contest.

Dawson vs Rocca - The rematch we've been waiting for, hopefully the result will be different :lol:

Also, Collingwood usually have inside midfielders kill them, DT and SC fans will be all too aware of this fact so expect big games from the likes of Ball, Hayes, Goddard and McQualter.

What are your thoughts on the key matchups?

How do you think their game plan will interact with ours?

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
stinger
Saintsational Legend

i don't rate the filth at all...but then i am biased against them........your summary is pretty spot on though......

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
felixleo
Club Player

God I hope we absolutely bury the filth or win by one point.

Are you gonna be the one?
Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

Lockyer Armoooo?

I always see him as a danger man and is having a solid year.

At this stage I'm really not sure how I'd play him.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Iceman234 wrote:Lockyer Armoooo?

I always see him as a danger man and is having a solid year.

At this stage I'm really not sure how I'd play him.
IMO Lockyer is one of the biggest cherry pickers in the game, he always gets the cheap, uncontested disposals.

IMO he will struggle against the field wide pressure that we've been playing this season, however we will probably still allow him to collect 20+ in the back pocket.

384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
Buckets
SS Life Member

Didak wont be back for a couple of weeks.
Medhurst is doubtful but the extended break gives him a chance.
Rocca although a dream match up would be very unlikely to come back
in.
Shaw also has questions marks over him.

Thats Mr. Smartarse to you
HarveysDeciple

Pies love being hunters.

Bucks was right. They beat good sides and lose to average sides.

They will love the challenge of knocking us off.

The reality is though that we are a fair bit better then them. Crowd will be a factor as well, pro Collingwood we are made of strong stuff. It won't be easy and it represents another strong challenge.

Hold them early, class and strength to prevail.

Saints by 38.

groupie1
Club Player

So, we'd look at something like Baker on Medhurst; CJ on Didak, Gram on L Davis? with Zac taking Anthony and Blake on Cloke. Could we think about bringing Hudghton back if they also select Rocca?

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga
undecided
Club Player

Rocca will not play

Too scared to face zac

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

I don't like the idea of Baker on Medhurst, Medhurst is too good overheard, I would think he would get a Sam, whether it be Gilbert or Fisher I don't know.

I'm not sure who Baker would be a good match up for, perhaps a midfield tag?

matrix
Saintsational Legend

im looking forward to swan and hayes and just letting em both run run run....
im pumped for this game already....ill be planning the whole wek around next monday night.
ill be in agony come sunday and still no saints game....

zac and rocca (if he comes up) should be interesting.
if didak plays i could handle baker giving him a couple.

Marcus1232
Club Player

Will mick malthouse back brown in again on roo or will maxwell get the gig?

yipper
SS Life Member

Pendlebury, Lockyer, Davis and Swan are the keys to the Pies. Scotty Pendlebury is an out and out gun. Shut that lot down and Cloke will not get near it - nor will Medhurst.

Hopefully we get both rucks back this week to monster Fraser and give our mids first use. If we can do that - it will be goodnite Pies.

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
Marcus1232
Club Player

yipper wrote:Pendlebury, Lockyer, Davis and Swan are the keys to the Pies. Scotty Pendlebury is an out and out gun. Shut that lot down and Cloke will not get near it - nor will Medhurst.

Hopefully we get both rucks back this week to monster Fraser and give our mids first use. If we can do that - it will be goodnite Pies.
Cloke wont get near it anyway he is the most overated footballer in the competition.

Thomas a close second

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Marcus1232 wrote:Will mick malthouse back brown in again on roo or will maxwell get the gig?
I would love to see Brown against Roo, could be a big day out for the skipper.

Also don't underestimate Maxwell, if you doubt his ability rewatch the Saints - Pies final from last year, Roo was unstopabble until Maxwell shut him down.

Marcus1232
Club Player

Armoooo wrote:
Marcus1232 wrote:Will mick malthouse back brown in again on roo or will maxwell get the gig?

Also don't underestimate Maxwell, if you doubt his ability rewatch the Saints - Pies final from last year, Roo was unstopabble until Maxwell shut him down.
wasnt underestimating him i know that he did the job when he went on to roo good for us the damage was done by then :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Marcus1232 wrote:
Armoooo wrote:

wasnt underestimating him i know that he did the job when he went on to roo good for us the damage was done by then :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Oh sorry mate, I wasn't having a dig at you.

I was just making a general statement, especially because he is quite underrated by the greater football public IMO.

terry smith rules
SS Life Member

Dane Swan was sensational on Friday, Jones for mine gets the job

Lockyer has a great ability to get free within 50 and is a good kick for goal, needs to be watched.

Think Gilbert gets Medhurst. Medhurst is brilliant at turning his opponent, I think Blake is too slow.

Medhurst is also a sensational mark, his ability to leap early and extend into the mark, makes him almost unbeatable at that.

The key forward is Anthony (not rocca but John). Leads well and is agreat kick.

My biggest worry is Monday night, footy is a weekend sport, don't know if I can wait all weekend come to work Monday and still not know how your team has gone.!!!!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

terry smith rules wrote:Dane Swan was sensational on Friday, Jones for mine gets the job

Lockyer has a great ability to get free within 50 and is a good kick for goal, needs to be watched.

Think Gilbert gets Medhurst. Medhurst is brilliant at turning his opponent, I think Blake is too slow.

Medhurst is also a sensational mark, his ability to leap early and extend into the mark, makes him almost unbeatable at that.

The key forward is Anthony (not rocca but John). Leads well and is agreat kick.

My biggest worry is Monday night, footy is a weekend sport, don't know if I can wait all weekend come to work Monday and still not know how your team has gone.!!!!
No need to worry about Anthony as he got a one week suspension.

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Leon Davis is Collingwood's key player.

He's quick, runs and carries and is a brilliant user of the ball.

He sets up goals if he doesn't kick them himself.

If one of our players can restrict him - that's potentially 6 goals off Collingwood's score just there.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

The only thing stopping us from walloping those whinging pretenders is the fact that eventually we'll drop a game.

But that won't happen this week.

Their gameplan - of which there are no variants - plays straight into ours. They play wide and patient then wait for an opening. We absolutely CUT UP teams that move the ball slowly.

Like in the final last year, they will break down terribly across half forward.

Pies are consistently the most overrated list in the competition.

Lockyer is an out-and-out outside tossbag who has never once in his career put his nose anywhere near the ball. He is an irrelevancy but for the 1.0 he'll kick simply because he's lurking like a peeping tom at the back of a pack.

Maxwell and Shaw haven't played for weeks and will come in underdone (see Cooney yesterday - a few minutes of good, a whole lot of going missing).

Medhurst, Didak (if playing), Davis are all dangerous but pretty much worthless if starved of pill and that skill is something that we are without peer at.

Travis Cloke is irrelevant. Good for 2.5 on a great day and easy pickings for even one of our medium-large sized defenders if delivery is less than spot on (which, on form it will be).

Pendlebury gets Jones so that kills that. Swan gets whoever we want to put on him - we have lots of options.

Dawson will MURDER the slow fat pizza-eater (SFPE) on current form even if SFPE plays at all. If not, he gets Anthony. Oh. Hang on. What's that? HE IS SUSPENDED.

So get all those out of the way and tell me, on form, how on earth Collingwood can come within coo-ee of St Kilda?

I reiterate...only if we don't turn up to play.

Can't see that happening.

St Kilda by 50 plus. Seventy plus tackles.

We will slaughter them and put them in the negative on the ladder.

And I will laugh the laugh of a thousand kings!

More likely to drop one to Essendon - a quick enthusiastic side against a side that's been up for a while and is destined to fall away for a week here and there.

StSteven
Club Player

I don't believe they will trouble us......we will be challenged in 4 - 6 weeks when the boys are sore and injuries kick in.

As another said, hope we thrash them or beat them by a point with either Thomas missing a winnng goal or a dubious free kick to us! What a wonderful week would ensue.
Last edited by StSteven on Mon 04 May 2009 8:13pm, edited 1 time in total.

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Geelong showed them up as pretenders, as will we.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Anyone who thinks the pies will be easy are IMO badly misguided. They have a history of winning games that they shouldnt. I think we will win but it will be a very tough game. Malthouse has a habit of lifting them and is a great tactical coach. They also can on occasions be a very good tackling side which will be a good test for us.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Collingwood love the big opponents, and can't get much bigger than our saints!

Maybe this will be more of a Ross V Mick challenge?