Robert Eddy

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Robert Eddy

...Played a beauty last night. I dip my hat. I had certainly questioned his selection (ahead of Big Mac). But good on him.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

wow.... completely disagree 100%...

thought he was clearly our worst last night, and looked way out of his depth when he had the ball.. Kicking is very poor, and decision making is slow...

for mine, is a top VFL player... But, unlike Gwilt and Geary who are also on the fringe, he doesnt have the weapons to take the next step...

IMO should be dropped next week for Armo.... In retrospect X should have been in his place from last week... But, hindsight's 20/20...

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

Thought he was our worst I'm afraid, had no impact and is the worst kick in the side. Takes an age to get the ball on to his boot. I would replace him with Raph if he is fit.

saintsrus
SS Hall of Fame

read sarcasm

Before Im 85
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

i must have no idea. i reckon he was good. seriously. no shite. ill bet hes not dropped.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Mon 04 May 2009 4:57pm, edited 1 time in total.

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

One of the reasons we're winning is the pressure we aply to their kick-outs...Eddy is one of those who sprints his guts out to close down spreading players and create the turn-over or pressure the possie

His value can't be assessed on his stats alone...yes he is a little slow to make decisions but he also creates the loose man running fwd and sometimes does the 80m sprint into the fwd 50 to take an uncontested mark or draw a defender from Roo.

Would like to see him keep his place....but some one has to go for King.

Sam Fisher shoulder may decide the issue.

Nee!
maverick
Saintsational Legend

BringBackMadDog wrote:Thought he was our worst I'm afraid, had no impact and is the worst kick in the side. Takes an age to get the ball on to his boot. I would replace him with Raph if he is fit.
Yep me too.

No doubt runs out games as well as anyone and towards the end of the game he improved, but when the heat was on he struggled, for the reasons detailed above.

Geary was excellent though, a step above for mine, I thought they were the other way round at the start of the year as well...

lefty
Club Player

I'd rather Armo or someone else to be honest.

Slighty lacks some foot skills (needs work). Turned the ball over a few times from poor kicks. Needs to have more "impact". Geary is imo much further ahead.

Still, its not a bad thing for Eddy, always room for improvement, I just think atm though there are other players who should be in the squad.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

fugazi wrote:One of the reasons we're winning is the pressure we aply to their kick-outs...Eddy is one of those who sprints his guts out to close down spreading players and create the turn-over or pressure the possie

His value can't be assessed on his stats alone...yes he is a little slow to make decisions but he also creates the loose man running fwd and sometimes does the 80m sprint into the fwd 50 to take an uncontested mark or draw a defender from Roo...
I agree, and someone has to be our number 22 ranked player. On the positive side for him, his weakness as described above is one of those things which will improve with experience. It's not that his kicks fall off the boot or lack depth, it's just that they go to the wrong spot - like between two teammates. Judging depth of field on the footy ground is easier said than done. This is why (poor umpiring aside) so many games have been won at home grounds over the years. The really great players like Robert Harvey or Chris Judd can seemingly make the adjustment with ease.

Robert Eddy had definitely improved this year, like about six of his teammates. If he's our worst 22nd player for the year, I think we have cause for optimism.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

I'm with the OP. Assessing his whole performance, I thought Eddy was much better last night than he was against Port.

I think some posters on here get too preoccupied with the one or two clangers (or even semi-clangers that lead to no real harm) that players make.

That said, I don't really understand why players like Eddy and, to a lesser extent, Gwilt would be playing AFL while King and Raph are playing VFL.

Armo is a different question. He hasn't been that impressive at AFL level so far. I wouldn't see him as demanding a place ahead of Gwilt or Eddy or Geary or McQualter. He needs to do more at VFL level to show he that he really wants it.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:I'm with the OP. Assessing his whole performance, I thought Eddy was much better last night than he was against Port.

I think some posters on here get too preoccupied with the one or two clangers (or even semi-clangers that lead to no real harm) that players make.

That said, I don't really understand why players like Eddy and, to a lesser extent, Gwilt would be playing AFL while King and Raph are playing VFL.

Armo is a different question. He hasn't been that impressive at AFL level so far. I wouldn't see him as demanding a place ahead of Gwilt or Eddy or Geary or McQualter. He needs to do more at VFL level to show he that he really wants it.
Surely King didnt play in the VFL this week. Wasnt he injured and as for Raph why should he get a spot ahead of Gwilt or Eddy as he has only played 2 games for the year.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Yeah Eddy was down for 2 clangers and from memory both of those were direct kicks to Bulldog players whilst under no pressure that said Dal Santo's 2 clangers last night were in similar circumstances to Eddy's

The great thing about Eddy last night was his willingness to run hard find space and present. He took 10 marks betwen half forward and half back and ended up with 3 inside 50's and 2 goal assists.

After one mark between wing and half back a commentator noted that Eddy had run hard 60 to 80 metres to present an option and I would not have thought it was the only time

Yes his kicking is suspect however he is renowned as a hard worker off the field so there is a good chance he can rectify this

Oh yeah and he has only just turned 21 - has only played 15 games - yet he just had 18 possession and 10 marks in a supposed big game

Not bad going for a 15 gamer

Keep up the great work Rob!! :twisted:

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Some of you people amaze me. "Why should Raph get a game ahead of Gwilt or Eddy as he has only played two games this year?" 2 games for the Zebras, was one of our best in Round 1 at the time he got injured. Was one of our best right through the final series last season. I'd bring him in this week, for either Gwilt or Eddy. Let him take Sam Gilbert's place, and make Gilbo our 3rd tall forward as originally planned.

python
Club Player

I thought eddy was really good last night. Took some strong grabs, and despite what is written here, he hit most of his targets, and he moved the ball quickly. His pressure and chasing was also very good. His kick into the man on the mark was a bit embarrassing, but, you can't expect a 15 gamer to have no flaws. Dal Santo missed a few targets last night, its to be expected from all players, especially one who is just beginning his career.

i thought he was servicible against Port as well.

I thought gwilt was our worst last night, but, having said that, he was in no way terrible. If we didnt have a lot of guys pushing for a spot, i'd be very happy with both playing next week. But, i would like to see King back so kosi gets freed up a little bit more

Legendary
Club Player

Played a great game.

This kid is a gun, and improving make no mistake.

Can take a strong grab for his height, is a pretty good kick but knows WHERE to run, and that is critical.

His fitness and tackling are outstanding.

derby Street
Club Player

Just waiting to watch the replay again - Eddy 2 clangers only ??? :shock: Check his decision making as well. As for stating his stats - give me a break the way the game is played these days they hardly count. :D Geary is that far ahead of Eddy it would make your head spin.
I accept he is a young developing player who will hopefully improve but put away the rose coloured glasses please.

kaos theory
Club Player

I rate Eddy....

Can't understand how people think they have worked him out as 'average' or 'not afl standard' after 15 games, and barely 21 yo. His skills & decision making will get better with each game.

He has a level of focus, toughness & intensity in his play that suggests to me that he will surpirse a lot of people with what he will achieve. He will get the most out of his abilities, unlike many others that have 'talent' but end up on the scrap heap.

undecided
Club Player

From memory his single kick in the NAB cup before he got injured was awesome

And how come nobody mentions when geary kicks into the mane ok the mark, was it because the ball rebounded straight back too him????? Poor rob eddy's only resulted with us getting a goal..........

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

kaos theory wrote:I rate Eddy....

Can't understand how people think they have worked him out as 'average' or 'not afl standard' after 15 games, and barely 21 yo. His skills & decision making will get better with each game.

He has a level of focus, toughness & intensity in his play that suggests to me that he will surpirse a lot of people with what he will achieve. He will get the most out of his abilities, unlike many others that have 'talent' but end up on the scrap heap.
I know this may sound strange, but when I watch Eddy I think of a shorter version of Jason Blake.

Someone who works his backside off to compensate for his lack of 'sublime skill'. Someone you can be guaranteed to count on to give everything he's got every time he steps foot on the field.

A team oriented player who will always think of his team before his own individual game.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

lefty wrote:I'd rather Armo or someone else to be honest.

Slighty lacks some foot skills (needs work). Turned the ball over a few times from poor kicks. Needs to have more "impact". Geary is imo much further ahead.

Still, its not a bad thing for Eddy, always room for improvement, I just think atm though there are other players who should be in the squad.
i reckon eddy was ahead of geary at the start of the year, basically thanks to his ten games last year. then he got injured in the ump collision in preseason. and i agree that geary is now ahead of eddy. so geary's improved a lot in the last six games of senior footy.

just goes to show how useful it is for kids to have a run in the seniors.

saint vince
Club Player

Legendary wrote:Played a great game.

Can take a strong grab for his height, is a pretty good kick but knows WHERE to run, and that is critical.

Surely you are taking the p&&s. A gun??????. I think he was our 22nd player but he has some potential but calling him a gun. RICH is a gun. Selwood was a gun when he started. Eddy is far from that IMO

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Robert Eddy, like the rest of those who could be considered in our "BOTTOM SIX" is getting the job done. That is one of the reasons we have had the success we have so far this year... NO PASSENGERS

Lets just enjoy the success that this situation is bringing us !!

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
meher baba wrote:I'm with the OP. Assessing his whole performance, I thought Eddy was much better last night than he was against Port.

Surely King didnt play in the VFL this week. Wasnt he injured
Yes, I didn't express myself very well, did I. I meant to say that Raph and King shouldn't be playing VFL while Eddy and co get selected to play against the Pies.
and as for Raph why should he get a spot ahead of Gwilt or Eddy as he has only played 2 games for the year.
It appears that, once again, your humour has been a bit too subtle for this place. :wink:

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Legendary wrote:Played a great game.

Watch it with the hyperbole (wank word for "exaggeration") Mr Legendary.

Unlike some on here, I thought Eddy went quite well against the Dogs.

However, he is not anything like a "gun", nor is he a "pretty good kick". He turns the ball over a few times a game: which doesn't matter at all when we are thrashing our opponents, but could be critical in a tight game.

If he is playing up forward, as he did for most of 2008, his occasional clangers aren't so costly (ie, they might cost us a goal opportunity, but they don't necessarily result in our being punished).

But, if he is playing in the middle of the action, as he has done in the last two games, I don't really think such poor delivery is acceptable from a player at the highest level. Even the goal he set up for Roo was a slow, looping kick that ended up at shoelace height, even though he was kicking to a player who had evaded his marker and was in the clear. Not quite good enough, I'm afraid.

The guy runs hard (lots of "gut running", to use a term that I find rather grating) and tackles hard and well. But I'd want to see him deliver a big bag of tackles and effective disposals in games against a few of the genuinely top sides before I am prepared to think that he is the bees knees. Otherwise, he is simply a CJ with less pace and a bit more stamina, or a Geary with much poorer disposal.

With Lenny, Joey, Dal, McQualter, Ball, CJ, Ray and Geary in the side and all performing well, and Armo, Steven and Miles playing for the Zebras, we are well supplied with smallish players who chase hard and go for the ball. I reckon that playing Eddy as possibly tips the balance in our team a bit too far towards what some commentators have called the "midget army".

But I'm not sure Lyon agrees with me about this. And, when we are 6-0 and close to 200%, who am I to argue with him?

- Jonathan Swift
stinger
Saintsational Legend

Sobraz wrote:wow.... completely disagree 100%...

thought he was clearly our worst last night, and looked way out of his depth when he had the ball.. Kicking is very poor, and decision making is slow...

for mine, is a top VFL player... But, unlike Gwilt and Geary who are also on the fringe, he doesnt have the weapons to take the next step...

IMO should be dropped next week for Armo.... In retrospect X should have been in his place from last week... But, hindsight's 20/20...

wot i said :cry: :cry:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.