Dogs small fwd line a worry...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Dogs small fwd line a worry...

I must say I get nervous with Johnson, Acker, Hahn and a host of other smaller Dog fwd options buzzing round Blakeys knees....IF as some suggest we go in with McEvoy as a designated ruck and play Kosi as a pure fwd....are we then to tall?

To me Gilbert is logical for Johnson - has the speed and good enough overhead to spoil.

Baker to Acker - shut his mouth up along the way...

Higgins.....one of their best at present....hhmm....maybe an Eddy is needed for some flexibility??

“Yeah….nah””
stinger
Saintsational Legend

hahn's out of form....but i agree the others are a worry....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

CJ will get Higgins..or perhaps Griffin

Dont forget though folks, they have to worry about who to put on Dal, Lenny, Joey and Ball.

OUR forward line will be crucial to this game..not only to score, but to put our now-famous forward pressure on their defenders to stop them roaring in numbers out of defence. Thats their party trick and they do it well.

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
vacuous space
SS Life Member

HF/HB: Murphy/Gilbert - Hahn/Blake - Higgins/Gram
FF/FB: Akermanis/Baker - Minson/Dawson - Johnson/S. Fisher

Whether those are the matchups or not, I don't see them torching us for speed. We have a very tall and mobile backline and the Dogs shoud be very worried about our rebound. Fisher and Gilbert have been treating their opponents with contempt so far this year.

I don't see the Dogs having a more dangerous group than, say, Port. They're lacking genuine goalkicking targets. IMO they'll be exposed against our backline.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
Beej
Saintsational Legend

Gilbee needs to be paid close attention, too. He's their playmaker at the back and vital to the way they like to play.

Really struggles to shake off a tag. Carazzo was able to minimise his impact last week which went a long way to winning that game. West Coast were able to do the same the week before.

McQualter will go to him I'd expect.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

OLB wrote:McQualter will go to [Gilbee] I'd expect.
I actually think CJ will get Gilbee. He's been playing a lot more between the 50s and less as a rebounder this year. I think we'll go head to head in the middle. Boyd will take Dal, and I think Griffen and Cross will go against Ball and Hayes. I'm not sure what to make of Cooney being named. It's an awfully short layoff even for the most minor of knee surgeries. Given he was struggling to run out games before, I'm not sure that a couple of weeks off will help that. I'd be tempted to put Goddard on him and really test Cooney out if he plays.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
Liam_G
Club Player

OLB wrote:Gilbee needs to be paid close attention, too. He's their playmaker at the back and vital to the way they like to play.
True, but so far this year he has spent much more time closer to and forward of centre. He has not spent as much time off half-back than he has in previous seasons. Don't spend too much time trying to silence him. His disposal efficiency from the midfield in 2009 has been well down compared to his previous years off half back.

Unforgiven
SS Life Member

It goes both ways, I view it as their greatest strength and weakness. When the mid field is ontop and their having a good day, there forward line seems to zippy.

Though when the heat is on, and its hard contested footy, they lack a focul point to take that contested grab they cry for. I don't think it will be too much an issue as our backline has to versitile.

Carpe Diem
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:I must say I get nervous with Johnson, Acker, Hahn and a host of other smaller Dog fwd options buzzing round Blakeys knees....IF as some suggest we go in with McEvoy as a designated ruck and play Kosi as a pure fwd....are we then to tall?
you might be right ...

then again two genuine rucks and two genuine key forwards has worked for us this season and we'll have to factor in not just shutting down their forwards, but also hurting them going the other way.

so do you change what has been a strength for us to counter a perceived threat from them? or is that overly reactive?

wish i knew the answer.

noob
Club Player

win the midfield battle and we won't have to worry about the forwards.

CJ09

Higgins is definitely having a sensational season so will be dangerous. I think the dogs have stumbled a bit over the last few weeks and our boys will keep up the winning run. Their forwards are dangerous, but our forward line is very tough to contain as well!! Go saints.

bungiton
SS Life Member

The real key to this game is the midfields. Ours have been brilliant in the last five weeks.

Last week as expected, Joey and Dal copped heavy tags only for Lenny and Bally to run riot. I don't envisage there being three dogs taggers in there this week so if our mids get on top we cut there supply to their small forwards. Our mids ruling the center and clearances also aids our tall forward structure which will stretch theit defense.

Looking forward to a huge game from Gwilt this week who has been at least solid so far, but could be the BJ type surprise up forward this week.

I'm sorry, you've gone through all the trouble to find out what this actually says and it really is quite insignificant.
OneEyedSainter77
SS Life Member

saint66au wrote:CJ will get Higgins..or perhaps Griffin

Dont forget though folks, they have to worry about who to put on Dal, Lenny, Joey and Ball.

OUR forward line will be crucial to this game..not only to score, but to put our now-famous forward pressure on their defenders to stop them roaring in numbers out of defence. Thats their party trick and they do it well.
Spot on Michael. Another reason why we need to start relying on more of our mids getting the job done. i'm quite confident our mids can all the hard ball gets and all the hard work in the centre but our forwards need to capatalise on their oppurtunities. Call me cocky, but this game will be won or lost above the shoulders.

If we just keep playing the way we have, we'll win this easily. I get more confident each week that the players are not going to fall prey to complacency or anything like that. They seem to be much more mature and respectful of their opposition than say three or four years ago.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

65+ tackles and its all over.

Seriously, the same level as we have been getting and the Dogs will fold.

I think I saw the stat where we are #1 for tackles laid whereas the dogs are #14.

If that holds true.....gonna be a long day for the dogs.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Longer the week go's on the more worried I get with this one. They're a good side the dogs don't worry about that. They will be up and about for this and if we don't bring anything but our A game they'll roll us.
Big test

Bring back the Lockett era
ace
Saintsational Legend

Re: Dogs small fwd line a worry...

[quote="Teflon"]
Baker to Acker - shut his mouth up along the way...
[/quote]

Bakes will muzzle him.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
ace
Saintsational Legend

[quote="OneEyedSainter77"][quote="saint66au"]CJ will get Higgins..or perhaps Griffin

OUR forward line will be crucial to this game..not only to score, but to put our now-famous forward pressure on their defenders to stop them roaring in numbers out of defence. Thats their party trick and they do it well.[/quote]

Spot on Michael. Another reason why we need to start relying on more of our mids getting the job done. i'm quite confident our mids can all the hard ball gets and all the hard work in the centre but our forwards need to capatalise on their oppurtunities. Call me cocky, but this game will be won or lost above the shoulders.

If we just keep playing the way we have, we'll win this easily. I get more confident each week that the players are not going to fall prey to complacency or anything like that. They seem to be much more mature and respectful of their opposition than say three or four years ago.[/quote]

I am sensing that the players are starting to enjoy putting maximum effort EVERY week.
That without having to be cajoled out lethagy after going behind in the first quarter.
That is something I think Geelong has had for the last 2 years.
Just look at Gablett, he enjoys running hard and beating his opponent even when his team is 100 points up.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

ace wrote:I am sensing that the players are starting to enjoy putting maximum effort EVERY week.
That without having to be cajoled out lethagy after going behind in the first quarter.
That is something I think Geelong has had for the last 2 years.
Just look at Gablett, he enjoys running hard and beating his opponent even when his team is 100 points up.
I suspect that is because Lyon has the team focusing on the little things rather than the scoreboard.

He has instilled the confidence in them that if they stick to their role and their targets, the bottom line will look after itself.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Correct me if I'm wrong but a small forward line would require quick, lace out delivery in order to be effective, particulalrly when there's no tall target to bring the pill to ground.

Our mids have proven particularly good at STOPPING this from happening for five weeks straight. I can't see that changing unless we really slacken off.

I am never overly confident before any game, but before this one I'm really thinking that we have the structure and attitude in place to knock off a reasonable side in average form.

I suspect they'll try their arses off, but I'm not sure they can kick a score or get the kind of possession they'll need in order to be what they need to be.

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

We need maxy

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong but a small forward line would require quick, lace out delivery in order to be effective, particulalrly when there's no tall target to bring the pill to ground.

Our mids have proven particularly good at STOPPING this from happening for five weeks straight. I can't see that changing unless we really slacken off.

I am never overly confident before any game, but before this one I'm really thinking that we have the structure and attitude in place to knock off a reasonable side in average form.

I suspect they'll try their arses off, but I'm not sure they can kick a score or get the kind of possession they'll need in order to be what they need to be.
+1

IMO their size really helps us, it just makes our defnsive zone harder to break though, and with players such as Fisher and Gilbert capable of reading where the ball is going minutes before their opponents I am confident that their forward line wont fire...

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
maverick
Saintsational Legend

This is a good topic IMO.
We have traditionally struggled against this type of structure, simply because we have never had enough mids than can play defence. I hate seeing S Fisher, Gram and BJ playing lock down roles, let them run and get others to play the lock down roles.

Instead of trying to turn Eddy into something different, maybe we should select the team required on the day. Miles in Eddy out.

Then next week against the pies we might need another runner and the roles are reversed. We have a wonderful start here, we must select the team that will win the game, and sometimes that means blokes are very stiff to miss.

SaintHomer
Club Player

good topic, but i can just imagine a topic on the dogs forum about being worried with our tall forward line if kosi plays. :D

having said that, gilbee is the barometer i think. i have him in my dreamteam, so watching him closer than most and his form has dropped away and so has the dogs wins.

i also used to get always when welsh was playing... seemed to lift for us, so i'm especially happy he's cooling his heals in the vfl.

saints stick to what they've been doing and i think we have the cattle. as always, gonna be won or lost in the middle, and leny is just starting to refind his top form with dal. bally, goddard and joey to chime in and give the doggies enough of their own headaches.

but we can't relax for a minute. dogs have some cream who only need a sniff of an upset (cooney, aker, johno, griffin, higgin, gilbee, etc)