Gilbert a top target for Coast

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SaintWodonga
Club Player

InkerSaint wrote:And FWIW Gilbert's happy at the Saints.

http://www.saints.com.au/season2009/new ... fault.aspx
Great news! Gilbo's really stepped up!

Tony Lockett kicks 10 goals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v4ZQJHjlvM
stinger
Saintsational Legend

Joffa 5 wrote:And he knocked back a 3 year contract because he wanted to be out of contract in 2011. I reckon he'll definitley be a GC player.

not true....fortunately........ :wink: :lol:
Last edited by stinger on Thu 23 Apr 2009 5:10pm, edited 1 time in total.

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Joffa 5
Club Player

stinger wrote:
Joffa 5 wrote:And he knocked back a 3 year contract because he wanted to be out of contract in 2011. I reckon he'll definitley be a GC player.

not true....fortunate;y........ :wink: :lol:
A kick up the date coming my old man's way :lol:

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Joffa 5 wrote:
stinger wrote:

not true....fortunately........ :wink: :lol:
A kick up the date coming my old man's way :lol:

don't be too hard on him.....put your slippers on first....... :wink: :lol:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

[quote="Joffa 5"]And he knocked back a 3 year contract because he wanted to be out of contract in 2011. I reckon he'll definitley be a GC player.[/quote]

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

http://www.saints.com.au/season2009/new ... fault.aspx

ON THE surface it was not a huge football news story. A 22-year-old with fewer than 50 matches to his name re-signs with his club for three years.

But when Gold Coast-raised Sam Gilbert signed on the dotted line for St Kilda at the start of this month, it was a true gesture of loyalty in the face of expansion.

Many big AFL names have not signed on beyond 2010, knowing that their market price could soar with the Gold Coast in the game. But Gilbert did not want to mess around with the club he has called home for almost four years and signed on at least until the end of 2011.

"I never wanted to leave. I see the new team as a great thing for the Coast and I'm more than happy for them, but my home is here at St Kilda and I'd love to stay here as long as I can," Gilbert told saints.com.au.

But Gilbert's re-signing has not brought the rumour mill to a stop. Even has recently as this Thursday, there was a small article in a Gold Coast newspaper suggesting the team will be after him.

But Gilbert said the article had no substance.

"I haven't heard anything about it. I'm not worried about that. For that to happen, something would have to go wrong and at the moment I'm a Saints man and I want it to stay that way."

Gilbert grew up in Tweed Heads on the NSW side of the border but attended school in Palm Beach, and spent much of his youth hanging around the Gold Coast beaches.

But he is now comfortably settled in Melbourne suburb Elwood with Saints teammate Leigh Fisher and is playing the best football of his career, averaging 22.4 disposals per game in St Kilda's back half.

He has earned a reputation as an athletic tall player with the ability to lay a big tackle. He says he has always loved tackling, ever since his days as a junior rugby league player.

"I reckon it has a little bit to do with it. I grew up with rugby league. But I haven't done that many tackles this year compared to the midfielders and a lot of the forwards have laid a lot more tackles than me this year," he said.

"It lifts everyone and I know when I watch my tape I look at the tackles more than the possessions and I think most of the boys are doing that now. It is a good thing and something we are priding ourselves on."

Gilbert has played the majority of his career in the back half but seemed set for a change this year as he spent much of the summer learning the finer points of playing as a forward.

"I thought I might have got a sniff up there but as soon as Max went down I knew I'd be straight back to the backline," he said.

"I did the whole pre-season up forward so I know the setups and if I get thrown up there I'm more than happy to have a crack. With Kosi going down this week I don't know how they'll work it. I'm pretty sure I'll be down back but if I get the opportunity, I'll take it."