Round 5 Side V Port Adelaide.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BallBanger
Club Player

kaos theory wrote:
Ohhh FFS! Robert Eddy???

Seriously - the boy can't kick, can't run and can't mark. Yes, he has endeavour and can run. But Forrest Gump had that too!

I'm ok with replacing Koz with a small but why wouldn't you pick X Clarke who's been burning for Sandy?

At least X can hit a target by foot and hand not to mention take a mark. Robert Eddy can't do any of the above.

Unless he's been picked purely to stop someone then I think this is pretty much a wasted selection
Are you a troll or an idiot?

he can't run, yet he can run? What's that statement mean?

Too many people here seduced by 'potential' talent rather than players that can actually deliver on instructions.

For those who don't know Eddy had a big pre-season and by all accounts had come up another level before the umpire incident in the nab cup. RL is a big fan of this kid. Remember, it was virtually his first season last yr, and he was a regular towards the end.

Lets give him a chance to perform before we cut him up....

i think he will be a key player for us in the future...
Eddy has not performed at a level in the past to be promoted without relevant form...We should not be giving some players an easy passage while others don't receive the same opportunities unless they have quality history eg Max
The likes of eddy, qwilt etc are promoted without real form while other are not...maybe the coach knows that some players are not getting the best out of themselves eg x armitage while others qwilt eddy are at least making the most of their limited talent hence the reward.
Unfortunately talent pool has to be high to progress deep into september
Last edited by BallBanger on Thu 23 Apr 2009 8:37pm, edited 1 time in total.

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

I am surprised about x clarke, but i will trust the coaches on this, we shall see how it pans out

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Add my name to the list who think this was the time to go with X...

We sure could have used his run and dash this week.

Nothing against Eddy who I don't mind, but X could have been used off half-back or as defensive forward on Nathan Krakeour.

Still, we're playing well enough to put this down to mere nit-picking.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

golden hawk
Club Player

you lot can you do me a favour give it to number 3 of port and watch him that he does not punch one of your guys in the balls ,
he punched robbie campbell in the balls and got away with it ! :evil:
so please give him a heap of abuse !

your friendly neighbourhood hawk
St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:Add my name to the list who think this was the time to go with X...

Nothing against Eddy who I don't mind, but X could have been used off half-back or as defensive forward on Nathan Krakeour.

His game against Frankston was poor IMO, and there was no "run and dash"

OR should that be Run and carry....

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
Legendary
Club Player

Eddy played every game, including finals, in the second half of last year.

He must do something right.

After the form and consistency he showed last year, he deserved to be first in line for another crack. Particularly with his hardness in the wet.

His skills are better than people give him credit for, he's around average with his kicking.

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:X is a far better player, this was noticed in R1 of the VFL.....X was dominant and dangerous.......Eddy was hardworking....

Eddy is a good solid player in the L.Fisher mould who is IMO a VG VFL player, OK depth AFL player.......Geary IMO has the talent to be a 150 gamer.......rate him about as good as Gram at the same age......X is a very talented footballer who cannot seem to string games together..

Good teams have hardworking players (Coll, Adel, Syd)......Top teams have class and skill (Haw, Geel, Bull)
Agree, but on a proposed wet ground we need hard workers and maybe less skill...

and yes X does find it hard to string good games together and he did appear to our of sorts against Frankston

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Solar wrote:on eddy,the reason he has not been in the best for sandy is because he has not played for sandy as the playing emergency
I beg to differ, Eddy has been playing for Sandy, except for last week.

He has been named emergency for us in the first 4 rounds, a vacancy has come up, he has been promoted.

I have faith in the coach.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

Also Eddy has been a far better tackler than X....

Eddy has laid 49 tackles in his 13 games last year...

This is what X has to improve on IMO...

More so on a wet ground with the prediction of rain/showers tomorrow

Unforgiven
SS Life Member

Im happy enough with the selection. Fits our gameplan perfectly, one of the fittest in the club and a solid tackler, applies constant pressure. Eddy suits our current gameplan and his selection doesn't surprise me.

At the end of the day Ross Lyon knows better than us, and him not selecting Xavier would be for valuable reasons. Imo Xavier still has to prove his worth at Sandy, while yeh he was good against Casey, Casey are a poor team, and on the weekend against Frankston he wasn't great at all, did a few things here and there, but hardly took the game by the scruff of the neck, people like Begley, McEvoy had more of an influence.

Carpe Diem
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

I think X would be far better suited to wet conditions - more skill....

The gap widens when the conditions are poor - skillful players are 'one touch' and read the ball better.....average players really struggle in wet conditions......like bats with poor techniques struggle on green tops....

The fact X grew up playing footy in darwin - means that he has played a lot of footy in the wet....

jackal
Club Player

Not sure about this convo. We are winning and if we win then all good. If we lose then lets look at our players and see what happened.

I honestly felt that this was not a game to bring either Clarkes, MCEvoy or Maguire into. In the wet at Aami for a first up game is harsh. Eddy is a much better option.

noob
Club Player

its funny how last year x came straight into the team with injury and virtually got injured or did crap, and this year it seems to be flying but can't get a game

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:I think X would be far better suited to wet conditions - more skill....

The gap widens when the conditions are poor - skillful players are 'one touch' and read the ball better.....average players really struggle in wet conditions......like bats with poor techniques struggle on green tops....

The fact X grew up playing footy in darwin - means that he has played a lot of footy in the wet....
Well, that's your opinion. But as you previously stated Eddy is a hard worker and I believe in wet conditions hard work is above skill.

On most occasions, in a wet game, the skill levels are down, but not the hard work and tackles

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

I think that this week's selections and non-selections, and the discussion/debate surrounding them suggest a level of depth and a level of maturity to be successful in this competition. GO SAINTS !!

SaintWodonga
Club Player

Interesting saints.com.au has not updated the teams, however the team
is on the AFL site:

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/ ... fault.aspx

Tony Lockett kicks 10 goals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v4ZQJHjlvM
Sobraz
SS Life Member

Obvious selection.... Eddy has been first emergency all year, and Ross clearly selects on next cab of the rank basis... He see's Eddy as currently our 24th best player... Cant really argue with that..

X has a hell of alot more to prove in the VFL... IMO i wouldnt play him until he strings atleast 6-8 good games in a row in the 2's, so he can get his workrate right up...

He hasnt played decent AFL for 2 years... He was a long way off last year, so he needs to really earn his spot...

I have full confidence Eddy will be given a job, and do it effectively...

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Are you saying X is a lazy player??

not sure he is.....a fragile player maybe.....but he does not lack desperation IMO...

In saying that I am not sure that the 22nd player picked is going to make a huge difference in the outcome....and that's what the choice between Eddy and X was.....the game will be won by.....Hayes, Ball, Dal, Gram, Goddard, Joey, Jones, King/Gardiner - the midfield performing....and everyone else playing their role.....

so the nit picking is probably irrelevent

BTW - No good working hard in the wet, when U cannot handle the pill....skill is essential.....

Sobraz
SS Life Member

BigMart wrote: .....a fragile player maybe.....but he does not lack desperation IMO...
No, not saying X is lazy at all... Agree with the quote of yours i highlighted above.. He is fragile..

He has consistently broken down at the top level in recent years... Which is why i think he should be given an extended run in the 2's, so his body can get really match hardened..

I know the intensity steps up considerably at the top level, and I wouldnt question X's desire and hardness... I just think he needs to take consistent hits for 2 months before he is ready to string AFL games together..

Agree that if Roo, Dal, Lenny et al are in our top 6 players, we will win, irrespective of Eddy or X....

BallBanger
Club Player

St Fidelius wrote:
evertonfc wrote:Add my name to the list who think this was the time to go with X...

Was eddy much better?

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

BallBanger wrote:
St Fidelius wrote:

Was eddy much better?
Eddy didn't play against Frankston and was the only one of the three emergencies that was left on standby for last week.

mbogo
SS Hall of Fame

Lots of textperts on here criticised the "poor selection" of the team in round one - only to be proved fools. Sorry about that - it is a fact.
This week going with a heavier tougher tackler type in the wet seems common sense to me.
I love watching X and would love to see him star at the dome in his first game back - but not this week. He would seem to make an easy target - and a possible weakness. We will need a few minders to come out winners.
What a great chance for us - good selection.
Go Saints!

This is a team game and there is no room for individuals who think they are above walking through the fire.
Unforgiven
SS Life Member

St Fidelius wrote:
BigMart wrote:I think X would be far better suited to wet conditions - more skill....

Well, that's your opinion. But as you previously stated Eddy is a hard worker and I believe in wet conditions hard work is above skill.

On most occasions, in a wet game, the skill levels are down, but not the hard work and tackles
I agree with Fid on this one, In general the skill levels are down, and if anything I think the skill gap is shortened. Players with poor skills are about the same, but the better skilled players make a few more errors with the wet ball, so in general everyone is brought down.

Well said Hard Work > Skill.

Carpe Diem
stinger
Saintsational Legend

interestingly begley has been given the flick as an emergency.......injured maybe????

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

St Fidelius wrote:Eddy has been a far better tackler than X. Eddy has laid 49 tackles in his 13 games last year
tackling's important but it's not everything. you have to be able to get the ball and do something with it.

to be honest i'm not really sold on eddy yet. a good, hard worker yes ... but not a high possession winner or a goalkicker.

but i'm a fair marker and will be the first to admit it if he cuts them up.

i'm assuming ross has a specific shutdown task for him.