How Freo could beat us

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

GrumpyOne

How Freo could beat us

Put yourself in Mark Harvey's shoes. What game plan would you initiate to beat the Saints?

The only thing I could think of is to get big Sandilands to thump the living hell out of the ball towards their forward line at every ball-up to negate the Saints midfield.

Any of you armchair coaches got any ideas?

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

No - becaue Candylands thumping the ball out and negating our mids only delivers it to the most miserly back line in the league at the moment - the only way we get beaten in the backline at the moment is long kicks to marks - not running it in general play - we just run it out the other side.

look for something else - and I cant find anything!

The only way that Freo will beat us is if we allow it - Freo cant win - we can only lose - a very dangerous position to be in!

Believe or Burn

marksnsparks
Club Player

It's true they are a bit of a wounded bull at the moment, but we are talking about Freo. They are more likely to implode further than show some Dunkirk spirit.

I suspect it won't be as one sided as last week though. I just hope we maintain the intensity and don't start getting full fo ourselves and start believing the newspaper hacks.

Chant three times "Yes Ross, it's a marathon"

fingers
Saintsational Legend

Sainter_Dad wrote: The only way that Freo will beat us is if we allow it - Freo cant win - we can only lose - a very dangerous position to be in!
That's the bit that scares me :shock:

matrix
Saintsational Legend

play for the man not the footy.......
wouldnt surprise me if this happens.

a) we have the history
b) harvey didnt mind getting in amongst it and wont hesitate to tell his troops to do the same if need be.

watch out this could be a doozey of a game....

we'll still pump em by 70 8-)

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

I find absolute favouritism a really awkward fit.

The only thing that will beat St Kilda is St Kilda...

Key to top two/four is winning everything you should win plus at least half the 50/50 games.

That makes this a MUST win...complacency cannot be tolerated.

Beej
Saintsational Legend

I think there is more chance of aliens coming down to earth and landing one of their ships on the centre square of Etihad tomorrow night than us losing.

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

In addition, someone remind me the last time we last at the dome on a sat. night?

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

How freo can win,

Injuries to Kosi, and Dal
Pav and sandilands having a field day
Palmer learning how to kick

If all these things above happen freo may win

Unforgiven
SS Life Member

They would somehow have to win the ball in the middle, and isolate Pavlich at any costs. We'd have to have some key injuries (maybe 1 of King or Gardiner, to go down, and someone else structually important like Kosi, or a backman in Sam, or Gilbert). Then it would be Sandiland v Left over Ruckman, and Pavlich against 1 defender.

Can't see it happening, im not being arogant, its just for Freo to win they'd need to win the midfield battle to give their forwards any chance, and thats just not going to happen.

Carpe Diem
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Freo would need all our players to get strangled by the banner to beat us tomorrow night.

I've got faith that RL and his assistants are good enough to keep us focussed on what the end-goal is and the Saints we see come out tomorrow night will be at least the equal of the Saints we've seen for the first 3 games.

My how we Saints fans have been 'conditioned' over the years to 'fear' games that on paper look relatively 'easy'.

We're a new side this year - the foibles of the past won't/don't afflict us anymore.

Yes I'm sure that during the season we'll have poor qtrs, halves and maybe even a poor game or 2. BUT I don't believe they'll be against rubbish (like Freo)

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

IF Freo beats us it would be due to CORRUPTION :lol: :lol: :lol:

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Freo like WC have moved to worrying about having a good team in future years rather than in 2009.

Any wins this year are a bonus to them...but they are more concerned about success in 2011 and beyond than 2009.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintly_safes
Club Player

There is only thing that will stop us from winning & thats complacentcy
(I guessed the spelling) .If we play like we have over the last 3 weeks then we have nothing to worry about .If we carnt get up for a game againt Freo away from subi in their current situation then we have no hope of beating a Geelong or similar in a final when it really counts . Play every game on its merits, dont give a sucker an even break & play the game as if its your last. The bottom line is if we dont come to play then we are vulnerable ( I guessed that too ) go saints :wink:

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

Freo will have noticed our hardness at the ball and the opposition. They will make a real emphasis on trying to match us in this area. I believe they could only compete with us in this area for a maximum of 3 quarters and we will have one of dominance (minimum).

vacuous space
SS Life Member

Freo have a recent history of wilting under pressure. Right now we're the top pressure side in the comp. They know that we're going to make them earn it. They're going to have to try and match our toughness and hope their skills hold up on the day.

Harvey may try and go one-on-one for as long as he can, but then he comes up to their other weakness - fitness. Freo has real trouble running out games, so he may go the exact opposite direction. We could wind up with Fremantle trying to lock up the game in a similar manner to what Richmond did to get a win against Adelaide some time ago.

A game at the Dome may be more suitable than Subiaco to a lockdown type performance. It's probably their best chance to win the game too. They'll need to employ the right extras in defence if they do and move the ball quickly and effectively if they're going to kick a winning score. The more time they give us to set up in defence, the harder it's going to be to kick goals.

Yeah nah pleasing positive