still no x

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

JABBER
Club Player

still no x

i dont think X is in our team plans at the moment Is Farren Ray taking his spot at the moment

trevor barker
GrumpyOne

Who do you drop?

X might have to wait for a loss or an injury to get a run.

fonz_#15
SS Life Member

he will only get injured again if he comes in so why unsettle our team

Robert Harvey- Simply the best
spert
Saintsational Legend

I reckon RL is making 100% sure that X can sustain fitness and have no injuries., as he will come into the team at some stage, but probably in a few more weeks.

saintjake
Club Player

yeah, why unsettle the team
everytime he is "flying" he comes up to afl, plays one very bad game
then gets injured.
we have to make 10000% sure.
anyway, i think we should play him foward,

bigred
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:I reckon RL is making 100% sure that X can sustain fitness and have no injuries., as he will come into the team at some stage, but probably in a few more weeks.
And why not?

X is physically weak. His body breaks down far too easily. With any luck, ten games in the magoos will harden him up a bit.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

I think it's great that we have the luxury of not having to rush these guys back immediately.

I think X will be back. He just doesn't deserve to back ahead of anyone currently in the starting 22.

Ditto Goose. Ditto anyone in the 2's at the moment.

Seriously, when was the last time we've been in that situation?

To the top
SS Life Member

I thought some of you would have learnt by now that you do not knock upper echelon players.

I mean, how much egg on your faces do you have to get before you learn the lesson?

Xavier Clarke is obviously in very good form - but it is hard to force your way into a side when the majority of players are contributing to the wins.

The criteria is a consistent work rate accross the park - and that includes offensively as well as defensively.

Those who were down last week were the likes of Schnieder, Baker and Milne (despite 4 opportunistic goals but his defensive pressure, whilst improved, is not consistent with what we are currently seeing from even the likes of McQualter, Eddy or Jones - and Gwilt can also be included but his defensive pressure is applied differently, not by chasing and harrassing as such).

Sitting in the wings we have the Clarke brothers - who have superior footballing skills to any of the 7 named above.

The Clarke brothers are also in competition with the likes of Schnieder, Baker and Milne - not just the players consistently mentioned on here.

Max for Dawson is obvious.

Maguire, when ready to go, will play CHB, releasing Sam Fisher and therefore adding pressure to the 7 I have mentioned.

Until we show we have the measure of Hawthorn, Geelong and Western Bulldogs we are still a work in progress - and to evidence we have the measure of those sides we will need the Clarke brothers, Hudgden and Maguire in the side and contributing to their capacity - offensively and defensively.

Then there is Dempster - and hopefully a couple of our juniors who push their way in.

Depressed
Club Player

If we keep winning, only bring him in when we have an injury. That way he will be hungry and desperate. This should also apply to Hudgton and Goose......and anyone else for that matter.

saintbob
SS Life Member

I think Mini will be the one to go for X, especially if he has another quite game this week.

saintlee
Club Player

Depressed wrote:If we keep winning, only bring him in when we have an injury. That way he will be hungry and desperate. This should also apply to Hudgton and Goose......and anyone else for that matter.
I agree, don't mess with a winning formula

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

To the top wrote:...his defensive pressure, whilst improved, is not consistent with what we are currently seeing from even the likes of McQualter, Eddy or Jones...
how much are we seeing from eddy at the moment, unless we're going to sandy games?

HarveysDeciple

Look X is a good player and if he stays fit (big if) he will come into the side at some stage no doubt.

But at the moment everyone is doing their bit, no-one deserves to be dropped, and therefore they shouldn't be.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

Ray > X....

To the top
SS Life Member

Meant Geary.

But you get the message - the players on that line ARE currently putting defensive pressure on by using quick legs and effective defensive plays including not just tackling but actually competing for the ball, trying to reef it out and put it into contest.

You can not just hang onto it forcing the scrimmage and bounce Hawthorn particularly rely on - because we are putting hands on the ball and actually trying to reef it from the defensive, hold in, force a bounce tactics that Hawthorn rely on to set their rolling zones.

And that line of players are currently right up there in getting to opposition players and their space and then working on forcing the ball into a contest.

Hence they are still getting a game - because they can not be dropped.

And hence the pressure comes on a couple of others who are not bringing that skill to the park.

Will it work and will that line of player contribute when the game plan is put to the test against those it is designed to de-rail?

It will be very, very interesting to see.

The problem comes if just one or two are down or not bringing that constant and necessary pressure, because they will be exploited - and hence you need your class players but those class players will not neccesarily replace the players some on here expect they will replace.

That is the point I am making.

Against Hawthorn we just can not afford to allow a Guerra to pick up 30 possesions, never under pressure and therefore able to take his time and utilise his one skill - potent delivery.

And if Guerra can play to his game plan, we are in trouble.

Hence my summation that one player can bring you down.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Why would Sam Fisher need to be 'released' he is an All Aust key defender.....he can play on a third tall and work them the other way....and expose them....aswell as beat them one out....

Jason Blake IMO is one of the premier CHB's in the AFL......never beaten now....hasn't been in the last two seasons...

Obviously Max is a premier FB.....

To the top
SS Life Member

Big Mart, with Sam Fisher, precisely.

What I am saying is that, given Maguire resumes at AFL level, the only position he can play is as a central defender - and not as a full back.

So that leaves the key outer defensive post.

And that frees Sam Fisher to do what you describe, including going forward as circumstances allow.

Maguire sits back, accountable for the Browns, the Roughhead's, the guy from Geelong with the mad eyes, the Rocca's, the Hall's etc. etc. etc.

And hopefully doing what he did, able to defend but then bolt thru the middle with long accurate penetrating delivery.

Last year the defence morphed to a 6' 3" unit, until Dempster went down.

I would expect the same defence will morph this year, except that, hopefully, Sam Fisher will nominally be named on a half back flank alongside Maguire.

Scary, hey?

Because Sam Fisher is a class act as a footballer - and St Kilda can afford to place him nominally on a half back flank when just about every other team would have him at CHB.

That is what makes premiership teams.

Trust me!

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

X is also being exposed to more midfield time at Sandy....add to this that if and when he returns to the seniors that he will be 100% fit and match conditioned that we may well see a new "X".

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Beej
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Why would Sam Fisher need to be 'released' he is an All Aust key defender.....he can play on a third tall and work them the other way....and expose them....aswell as beat them one out....

Jason Blake IMO is one of the premier CHB's in the AFL......never beaten now....hasn't been in the last two seasons...

Obviously Max is a premier FB.....
He's an All-Australian defender because of the way we've been using him - to his strengths.

The main reason why he's so good and the main reason why he was an AA, as you said, is the run and rebound he gives us and his ability, whenever he's on an opponent, to expose them. In space is when he's at his best, though.

The more we can free him up, the better we are. He is absolutely immense. I wouldn't swap him for any other defender in the comp, not even Scarlett.

saintly_safes
Club Player

IMO it will do X the world of good to get some confidence & some much needed match fitness to harden his body to a level where he can with stand the riggors of the resentless pressure & physical attention that is going to come his way when he returns to the big league

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

To the top wrote:Milne (despite 4 opportunistic goals but his defensive pressure, whilst improved, is not consistent with what we are currently seeing from even the likes of McQualter, Eddy or Jones - and Gwilt.
the players you've mentioned _ gwilt, jones, eddy and mcqualter _ don't promise much in the way of scoreboard pressure, though, do they.

you've got to have both and players are mostly stronger in one area than the other.

in any case, from what i've seen milney is not only bobbing up with considerable goals, he is much improved defensively these days, too.