GRANT THOMAS LIVE CHAT NOW....

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

heavenly

GRANT THOMAS LIVE CHAT NOW....

hey guys - he's on wwos...

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/chat.aspx

Marcus1232
Club Player

love his comment on Caro.
She already got me sacked from the age and probably gonna get me sacked from FC

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

Wow... I got a question in - and it was answered. Last response of the session!

lee_of_melb_534_qa: Grant, can you clarify your comments from Footy Classified the other week where you said you didn't rate training services? Does that include conditioning staff and injury management? Is this a view you still hold?

WWOS_guest: My intention was to point out that the influence and effect that training services has over the day to day preparation of the team is ridiculously out of whack. Coaches go along with it because they are fearful of the consequences and thay dont have enough expertise in this area. There is no doubt tyhey improve recovery and preparation but the basic fundamentals of the game are compromised because you are not allowed to train players the way they need toi be trained to imporve. We had a horrific run with injuries and I allowed colplete control to our training services people. Woulkd it have been any different if I had managed it more closely myself with the other coaches? When the coaches decided to take greater control during pre season and in season "04 we won the pre season cup and then 10 in a row.

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

Glad I saved the transcript... there was a response dealing with injury management that I missed on reading the first time through.

shirtfront_920_qa: you bitter about your exit from the saints - disappointed, sad, regret your time there? would you change the way you coached in hindsight? appoint only one captain etc...

WWOS_guest: Not al lot I would change. I would have embarrassed the Board into more money for the great list we had to prevent injuries and assist recovery. They were too focussed on making money rather than providing support to football department and when I fell out we were never going to get their support. My assistant coaches felt we were being willed to fail in fact! I was and still disappointed that we couldnt finish the job and feel the club has wasted 2 years. Thankfully they seem to be back in shape now.

Marcus1232
Club Player

didn't get mine answered :(

benengel14
Club Player

InkerSaint wrote:Glad I saved the transcript... there was a response dealing with injury management that I missed on reading the first time through.
If you feel comfortable doing so - would you able to post the complete transcript?

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

benengel14 wrote:If you feel comfortable doing so - would you able to post the complete transcript?
I didn't keep all of it - just the ones where he either discussed St. Kilda or coaching. Here they are:

lizrene_617_qa: hi grant, you have been elevated to the status of a guru, isn't that easier than being an afl coach. Now why don't put you hand up for richmond that's a gig that would suit you, and caro would have to love you.

WWOS_guest: Haha lizrene. I am anything but a guru. I just happen to say what I think and people are rarely left guessing - thats either a good thing or a bad thing but I accept the consequences. Caro has already had me sacked from the Age, will probablky get me sacked from Footy Classified soon so I dont want to give her the pleasure of getting me sacked as coach of the Tigers! I would love 30 minutes with Richard Tambling though. Being an AFL coach is not as difficult as most think - it is grossly over-rated to be honest. You would all be shocked if you could live with a team for a week.

sports_freak_261_qa: As a follow up to my first question, is it fair to say that you were a little harsh on Mark Harvey considering the rebuilding he has to undertake due to the previous coach's screw-ups in the draft?

WWOS_guest: I have no criticism of their strategy, game plam, drafting etc etc This is purely a comment from a person that has been involved with senior management and coaching for a long time and I am of the opinion that Harv's needs to get some external help to develop himself. Ross Lyon has grown into the job over tha past 2 years and now seems more confident. I am not sure Harvs has any confidence in what he is doing. When I watch him speaking or coaching I actually feel sorry for him because he looks out of his depth. That is the essence of the discussion.

burythem_577_qa: How much influence does a head coach have on a team these days? considering each team has several assistant coaches plus the medical and strength and conditioning staff who in the most part plan and conducted most of the training and recovery sessions

WWOS_guest: He has added influence however i am not sure most coaches are skilled in the necessary areas. The managemnt of staff is critical to the whole process and your ability to delegate and allow others to implement strategies is essential. Not many coaches have ever had the opportunity to manage anyone let alone a team of 45 players, 25 direct staff and probably another 25 indirect staff. It calls for certain skills and experience. In days gone by coaches just chatted to assistants made decisions and coached. These days they are the conductor of an orchestra so the skill set has changed dramatically and to get the maximum out of your whole team of people you need certain skills.

Funny that, his earlier comment about coaching was very dismissive, then twenty minutes later he compares them to an orchestra conductor.

The only other questions, from memory, were things like "are Carlton ever gonna stop kicking it to Fev" and "will Terry get the axe if Richmond lose this week". All fairly predictable stuff, and no surprises in the answers.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/Blog.aspx?bl ... ments=true

Chat transcript is up

I wonder if we will see Heavenly again -- or not till WWOS have another chat P

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

InkerSaint wrote:Wow... I got a question in - and it was answered. Last response of the session!

lee_of_melb_534_qa: Grant, can you clarify your comments from Footy Classified the other week where you said you didn't rate training services? Does that include conditioning staff and injury management? Is this a view you still hold?

WWOS_guest: My intention was to point out that the influence and effect that training services has over the day to day preparation of the team is ridiculously out of whack. Coaches go along with it because they are fearful of the consequences and thay dont have enough expertise in this area. There is no doubt tyhey improve recovery and preparation but the basic fundamentals of the game are compromised because you are not allowed to train players the way they need toi be trained to imporve. We had a horrific run with injuries and I allowed colplete control to our training services people. Woulkd it have been any different if I had managed it more closely myself with the other coaches? When the coaches decided to take greater control during pre season and in season "04 we won the pre season cup and then 10 in a row.
So heres a guy who loves control. He then, along with other coaches says he "takes greater control" for injury management in pre season 04 and we magically win 10 in a row.....so he then decides to simply hand "control" back to 'training services'.

It doesnt add up Grant. Its more spin and you know it.

As for "training fundamentals being compromised by training services' this is just bizarre, mad ramblings of a corporate psychopath.

'Training services' dont seem to be gettin in Ross Lyons way and undermining his fundamentals....or just maybe he KNOWS what the fundamentals to improving players/team really are and doesnt hide behind blaming every other area?

Under Grant when things go wrong with recruitment - its John Beveridges fault.

When things go wrong with fitness (even though he had total control over appointments) its now 'Training Services' fault....

The Board are now to blame for conspiring against him.....theres a theme here...ITS ALWAYS SOMEONE ELSES FAULT.

I wouldve been impressed had he just said "yeah I got things wrong that I had control over but you live and learn".

I guess thats asking him to be responsible....and anyone whose ever worked or seen senior management in large companies operate would understand....they arent always good at that.

“Yeah….nah””
Shaggy
Club Player

Teflon wrote:
InkerSaint wrote:Wow... I got a question in - and it was answered. Last response of the session!

So heres a guy who loves control. He then, along with other coaches says he "takes greater control" for injury management in pre season 04 and we magically win 10 in a row.....so he then decides to simply hand "control" back to 'training services'.

As for "training fundamentals being compromised by training services' this is just bizarre, mad ramblings of a corporate psychopath.

'Training services' dont seem to be gettin in Ross Lyons way and undermining his fundamentals....or just maybe he KNOWS what the fundamentals to improving players/team really are and doesnt hide behind blaming every other area?

When things go wrong with fitness (even though he had total control over appointments) its now 'Training Services' fault....

The Board are now to blame for conspiring against him.....theres a theme here...ITS ALWAYS SOMEONE ELSES FAULT.

I wouldve been impressed had he just said "yeah I got things wrong that I had control over but you live and learn".

I guess thats asking him to be responsible....and anyone whose ever worked or seen senior management in large companies operate would understand....they arent always good at that.
Your white anting of GT is far beyond anything GT can be accused of.

And if you do not want to understand what GT is trying to talk about why respond?

You really are a shocker.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Shaggy wrote:

And if you do not want to understand what GT is trying to talk about why respond?

I agree with Teflon re GT's comments about training services. Thomas takes all the credit for winning ten in a row and blames anyone but himself for not turning that streak into a flag.
He contradicts himself and sounds just like one of my bosses who loves to take credit when things go well and point the finger when they don't.

markp
Saintsational Legend

In my words... Thomo's live chat with fans

Is 2009 the Saints best shot at the flag?

Absolutely. I think Ross Lyon has taken a couple of years to adjust and learn about his team.Yup righto, but the team itself has not changed... didn't need to, we could've beaten the cats in 2007 and the hawks in 2008 It looks very ominous now though. They are playing disciplined and committed footy and exerting extreme pressure which goes well in todays game

you bitter about your exit from the saints? would you change the way you coached in hindsight? appoint only one captain etc...

Not al lot I would change.I would have embarrassed the Board into more money for the great list we had to prevent injuries and assist recovery.Embarrassed the board? What does that mean?... is that really any way to operate?... and what would he have done with the money anyway, surely not put it into training services? They were too focussed on making money rather than providing support to football department and when I fell out we were never going to get their support. My assistant coaches felt we were being willed to fail in fact! I was and still disappointed that we couldnt finish the job and feel the club has wasted 2 years. Thankfully they seem to be back in shape now.Yup, we would've won 2 flags by now in that time and be heading for our third.

How much influence does a head coach have on a team these days? considering each team has several assistant coaches plus the medical and strength and conditioning staff who in the most part plan and conducted most of the training and recovery sessions

He has added influence however i am not sure most coaches are skilled in the necessary areas. The managemnt of staff is critical to the whole process and your ability to delegate and allow others to implement strategies is essential.how'd you go with training services in that regard? Not many coaches have ever had the opportunity to manage anyone let alone a team of 45 players, 25 direct staff and probably another 25 indirect staff. It calls for certain skills and experience. In days gone by coaches just chatted to assistants made decisions and coached. These days they are the conductor of an orchestra so the skill set has changed dramatically and to get the maximum out of your whole team of people you need certain skills.

Grant, can you clarify your comments from Footy Classified the other week where you said you didn't rate training services? Does that include conditioning staff and injury management? Is this a view you still hold?

My intention was to point out that the influence and effect that training services has over the day to day preparation of the team is ridiculously out of whack. Coaches go along with it because they are fearful of the consequences and thay dont have enough expertise in this area.so again, what would the extra money he's sorry he didn't 'embarrass' out of the board to prevent injury and assist recovery gone towards? There is no doubt tyhey improve recovery and preparation but the basic fundamentals of the game are compromised because you are not allowed to train players the way they need toi be trained to imporve. We had a horrific run with injuries and I allowed colplete control to our training services people.again, what happened to management of staff being so critical and delegating and implementing strategies being so essential? Woulkd it have been any different if I had managed it more closely myself with the other coaches? When the coaches decided to take greater control during pre season and in season "04 we won the pre season cup and then 10 in a row.

It seems his only mistake was relying on others.

This quote which contradicts another later quote (above) mysteriously vanished from the official transcript....
I would love 30 minutes with Richard Tambling though. Being an AFL coach is not as difficult as most think - it is grossly over-rated to be honest. You would all be shocked if you could live with a team for a week.
Part swine, part turnip.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Shaggy wrote:
Teflon wrote:

I dont like Thomas as a coach/"man manager" that I do not deny. I believe his "theories" espousing modern coaches lacking the "necessary skills" he refers to... is more of the same and really translates to "they dont know how to manage people like I do cause Ive done it in so-called corporate land". Again, the bufoon misses the point. AFL is big business - it is corporate. An AFL coache's prime responisbility is not be a corporate svengali - its to COACH....to continuously develop players and a squad capable of the ultimate - facts tell us Grant couldnt do that. Its part why Bomber Thompson relinquished extra duties not core to coaching - its also why Eade has done same.......its no coincidence that Grant refused to do this. Ive met many in "corporate world" who are the same. They feed off the power, ego's run rampant and its ALWAYS someone elses fault.....someone didnt give them a report on time......someone failed to deliver a project......never the big boys. Thomas is no different - open your eyes.

That doesnt preculde me from being balanced and also acknowledging that at the time he took over at St Kilda he provided the stability we needed. We were a rabble - he AND Rod Butters (the forgotten man) BOTH righted the ship. Sadly, both didnt also realise they had use-by dates....and should have moved on as opposed to treating the club like it was a new "fast car" theyd just purchased. Its ironic, the greatest test of corporate leadership IMHO is the CEO who builds an organisation able to stand up long after he's gone - not the narcisistic dictator who feeds off the views that "this place can't survive without me..." Sadly Thomas still suffers this. At least Butters appears to have moved on - I guess he always could, after all he was the one with business nous (and his OWN CASH) who built his own fortune - Grant still looks largely unemployed. Odd, for such a corporate guru dont you think?

I call current Thomas remarks as I see them. That clearly irks you who simply can't remain objective when dealing with anything to do with Thomas. Id suggest the only bias here is yours - its time to get some perspective I'd suggest.

Regardless, Im wrapt.

We have a coach who doesnt appear to be stumbling over the "fundamentals" - a coach who just wants to coach. Lyon loves FOOTBALL thats why Im such a supporter of him. Its not about Ross, that is obvious - the guy just loves to coach and thrives on the challenge of developing a team. I think the St Kilda FC has a beauty on their hands and all power to Butters and Co for getting him (regardless of their previous stuff ups and yep they made some).

I had heard many in football rated Ross Lyon before he became a senior coach - Grant wanted him.....maybe Ross was smarter than many gave hims credit for......its why I laughed at those on this site pointing to his "walk" or his so-called "lisp" as some sort of indicator that this guy wasnt up to it....that he couldnt possibly get players to respect......those same people are glowing in their praise now.

People are fickle.

Sorry to say you can keep Grants so-called "corporate man manager" skills - I'll take Lyons football brain anyday.

“Yeah….nah””
Sobraz
SS Life Member

Grant doesnt, and never has, eat football... Ross does... A successful coach needs this element IMO.... simple as that.... you gota love the taste of leather...!!....