Looking Good in April - Worried?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Looking Good in April - Worried?

There's no doubt we're looking pretty great at the moment. Commitment, workrate and hardness are exceptional. The only problem with this is that it seems unlikely that we can keep up this pace all year. I'd like to believe that we've turned a mental corner, and we may well have, but it's a long season.

So the question for me is: how much do we still have in the locker? Here's ten players who I can see keeping us improving.

1: Xavier Clarke: Maybe this year his perennial promise will come through? Our current game style (tough, hard-running) suits him down to the ground, and he's in form in the twos. Touch wood, but this could be his year.
2: Nick Riewoldt: Blondie's obviously a little underdone (4 marks a game?) so imagine how much better the forward line will look when he's fit and firing!
3: Max Hudghton: All respect to Zac but Maxy's still the man for a stopping job. Can only strengthen our backline - which has been good already.
4: Brendon Goddard: Has done his job without standing out. (3 marks in two games?) He's got at least a few three-vote games in him. We're unlikely to lose when he gets three.
5: Robert Eddy: The kid was pretty solid last year and can't be worse after another pre-season. Like X, fits the current game style well.
6: Lenny Hayes: OK on Friday but he's still our best midfielder so has much more in him.
7: Leigh Fisher: Another who works for this style. I thought he was gone last year, but if Ross kept him on then he just needs a little luck this year to have a real impact.
8: Jason Gram: He's been OK in the middle, but has a couple of outstanding three goal games coming when not paid respect by the opposition.
9: Clinton Jones: He's been given shut-down jobs, and performed well. When he's let off the leash he can pop up for twenty-five touches and a couple of goals.
10: David Armitage: Hopefully?

matrix
Saintsational Legend

im worried that its round 3 and peeps are getting waaaaaaay ahead of themselves and the team.

after round 12 im getting interested/worried/excited/etc etc
but not until then...
<lid...slightly ajar :)

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

at least we don't have to post 'ffs it's only aprl relax people the grand final is in sept...'

#1 Ryder fan
mightysainters
SS Hall of Fame

No worries right now :wink: Our midfield is A Grade opposition don't know who to tag and is setting the game up for us especially with the new element of every players attack and hardness on the ball

A Grade midfielders:
Goddard (they know and tag him heavily now)
Dal Santo (No tag or sometimes tagged has torn it up)
Hayes (When back to full form will give opposition massive headaches)
Monty (Been damaging due to no tag)
Ball (Master extractor makes him A Grade as teams try and tag)

Next liners
Gram, Ray have been providing the speed in the midfield we sorely needed as the second tier midfielders...
Baker absolutely lifted the team with attack and intensity

noob
Club Player

It's probably been a good thing that riewoldt hasn't dominated so far because it means the midfielders are getting the goals and aren't always directly going to him all the time. like geelong and the bulldogs both finished top 4 simply with a spread of players who kick goals.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Re: Looking Good in April - Worried?

bergholt wrote: 9: Clinton Jones: When he's let off the leash he can pop up for twenty-five touches and a couple of goals.
got your joneses mixed up - sounds like aussie!

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
saintfreddy
Club Player

I just want to enjoy the moment :P

esaint66
SS Life Member

saintfreddy wrote:I just want to enjoy the moment :P

Exactly, winning is a good feeling :D

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Seriously, people would be worried if we were losing in April...

Perhaps there is truth in the argument that teams that get off to a good start, puts them in good stead for later.

Whichever way, I choose to enjoy the ride...

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

Im err, cautiously optimistic. While very impressed and happy with the endeavour and the in and under in close stuff and all that...

I still feel our wins are covering up some disposal issues that are not a million miles from Richmonds standard. It has GOT to be fixed pronto or else any top 8 teams ARE going to walk all over us.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

4 points now is as good as 4 points later on. Our problem over the last 4 years has been starting slowly.

hAyES
Club Player

I'm hoping X and Armo can find a way into the team. X's speed and ball use would be very handy as well as Armo's hardness because you can never have too many more contested ball-winners.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Re: Looking Good in April - Worried?

desertsaint wrote:
bergholt wrote: 9: Clinton Jones: When he's let off the leash he can pop up for twenty-five touches and a couple of goals.

so was i right? 25 touches, and if he hadn't kicked badly, woulda had two goals. and this was despite having a shut-down job!

starsign
Club Player

desertsaint wrote:
bergholt wrote:

9: Clinton Jones: When he's let off the leash he can pop up for twenty-five touches and a couple of goals.

so was i right? 25 touches, and if he hadn't kicked badly, woulda had two goals. and this was despite having a shut-down job!
Spot on bergholt!
I gave him my BOG 5
i was a liitle bemused by RL's warmish post game appraisal (which reminded me very much of Jeansie) when clearly the vast majority of Kerrs possessions were handballs under pressure and nothing like his usual high number of damaging passes into 50, let alone the goals he generally snags