I honestly don't know what to think????

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Dal_Santos_Gal
Saintsational Legend

I honestly don't know what to think????

I have just been watching "One Week at a time" on the ONE HD channel.
Robert Walls gets asked 5 of the "hard questions" at the end of each episode. One of the questions he was asked was are the saints and the dogs the real deal?

He said yes they are the real deal, have caught up to the other two teams(meaning Geelong and Hawthorn of course)
Also today at work I had a geelong supporter pretty much say the same thing... Here I am one week at a time, don't get your hopes up to much and keep a lid on it. Yet we have other people saying you know what the saints are looking the goods.

It's two games right and have we improved that much over the summer?
Honestly have we caught up to Hawthorn and Geelong?
So in saying all that if we had to play geelong this week, do you think we would win?

I am really interested to hear some peoples opinions on this.
Last edited by Dal_Santos_Gal on Tue 07 Apr 2009 7:13am, edited 1 time in total.

In Ross Get lost!

I am excited to stay at St Kilda and this is a great result for the Club and all our fans. I’m proud to be part of the Saints and am pleased to be playing football with the Clubâ€
stkfc1
Club Player

Keeping a very big lid on it at the moment but right now ,yes we can beat anyone!

saintsrus
SS Hall of Fame

Remember Walls was instrumental in appointing Lyon, dont think ive heard him say anything negative against Ross ever.
Its two weeks out of 22, yes im happy with the way we are playing but I never get my hopes up, learned that in 97 :cry:

Before Im 85
Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

saintsrus wrote:Remember Walls was instrumental in appointing Lyon, dont think ive heard him say anything negative against Ross ever.
Its two weeks out of 22, yes im happy with the way we are playing but I never get my hopes up, learned that in 97 :cry:
Too true.

I think we were 1-5 that year and rock bottom...

Far too early to call.

mick13
Club Player

We've caught up yes, not much, but made progress.

It also has to do with Hawthorn and Geelong slipping though. Hawks are obviously no where near there premiership form of last year, whether it be to their mounting injuries or just a premireship hangover.

And Geelong being taken all the way by Tigers isn't a great sign for them...

If we were to play either team this week, I'd be hella more confident than I was going into playing them last year.

Bit of a contradiction of terms there stkfc. :P

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

It's soooo easy to be Premiers in April. Way too early to call.
And it may also be that there are others on the rise apart from us and the Doggies.
Lid still vacuum sealed here. The label on the jar though says,
'Cautiously Optimistic".

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

Its to early to call weather we have caught up to them, time will tell. How much did geelong improve over the 2006-2007 summer, heaps of improvement. There is something more in our added pressure and attack on the ball this year that gets me excited.

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
saint patrick
Saintsational Legend

Think its a very early call by Walls but its encouraging that others can recognise the progress.

The problem is we have only played 2 rounds but there is real justification for more confidence based on who we have beaten and how.

The Swans have been our achilles heal for a while and to beat them up in contested possions was a great sign.Also seems that Ross's time at Sydney has given us the inside knowledge on how this mob ticks and the best way to overcome them.

The win on Friday night against the Crows was even more impressive.I think for pressure on the ball carrier and good systematic football it was the best I have seen us play for 5 years.

In past years we would have lost that game after the Crows closed the gap and 3 Qtr time.There seems to be a steely resolve and hard edge that is reminient of the 04,05 teams.

The reason for this improvement in my opinion has to do with Lyons message getting through to the list after a settling in period,improved fitness and conditioning courtesy of the new fitness staff and the rebirth of Kosi who looks set to finially[touch wood] realise his enormous potential in terms of being a genuine dominating force.

And do not underestimate the return of Baker...a tough ,pivotal player who makes his team mates go in harder.

There is no doubt that we are looking to have improved significantly but whether we can legitamately challenge Hawthorn and Geelong will be revealed over the course of the year.

My immediate concern is that we win the next 2 games against the Eagles and Dockers at home.Lets not do a Carlton and get ahead of ourselves.

So far so good but a steady improvement will be more than enough to satisfy me that we are definately on the right track...

And that that bloody window is still open.. :roll:

Go Sainters...fullfill the dream 8-)
Last edited by saint patrick on Mon 06 Apr 2009 10:26pm, edited 1 time in total.

Never take a backward step even to gain momentum.....

'It's OK to have the capabilities and abilities, but you've got to get it done." Terry Daniher 05

"We have beauty in our captain and we have a true leader in our coach. Our time will come"
Thinline.Post 09 Grand final.
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Right now Id love to test our new "pressure presure" game agasint Geelong..who have been shown up as susceptible to intense tackling pressure (see their game agasint the Pies last year)

I wouldnt read too much into Geelong and Hawthorn so far this year though. If Geelong had converted anywhere near accurately in both their opening games..they'd have been so far in front at 1/2 time there would have been no eyebrows raised at the comebacks staged by their two opponents. Hawthorn have 40% of their premiership side out injured atm..and are playing kids rather than their "depth" players.

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
esaint66
SS Life Member

st.byron wrote:It's soooo easy to be Premiers in April.

Exactly !!!

If the premiership was awarded in April Carlton would have 16 legit premerships

:lol: :lol: :lol:

StSteven
Club Player

Sheez, you never know we may even get another "10 in a row" video.!!!!

I would not read one little thing into Geelong's current form or ours either. Have we not learnt about March / April champions.

Just sit back, enjoy the weekly ride and let's see what happens.

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

The gap is definately not as big I don't think.

The dogs are the one's that look most likely to challenge at the moment to me.
Cats are in a bit of lull ,but they were at the start of last year too remember,and the year before.
Hawks have a few concerns, be nice if the roos knock them off this week,0-3 will set them behind the 8-ball.
Not convinced about the saints yet. The 1st qrt against Sydney shows what we are capable of still,lets just hope that doesn't rear it's ugly head again. If we can keep a full strength side in for most of the year for once then come finals time anything can happen.
Lot's of footy to be played yet....

Ranking them at this stage

Geel
WBulldogs

Haw
Carl
Stk

the rest

Bring back the Lockett era
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

We have improved greatly.

Geelong are still the best and winning games without being outstanding, as they have done for the past two years.

Hawks have slipped, possibly due to injuries, possibly due to big heads.
They didn't win the premiership, Geelong lost it.

Dogs about the same.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

I can't see why people are ranking the Blues as Top 4...when they have only beaten two teams that did not make the 8 last year.

Top 8..maybe...but Top 4???

Lets see them actually knock off a few teams that made the 8 first.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:I can't see why people are ranking the Blues as Top 4...when they have only beaten two teams that did not make the 8 last year.

Top 8..maybe...but Top 4???

Lets see them actually knock off a few teams that made the 8 first.
The hype seems to be based on their midfield so far.

Let's see how it holds up. FFS comparing them to the Bears Fab Four of the trilogy - spare me. :oops: :lol:

And they still have no backline.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

I don't think we're showing hawthorn enough respect... keep in mind they had the following players out

Campbell
Croad
Gilham
Ladson
Sewell
Osborne
Lewis
Ladson
Taylor
and Tuck

That is 10 out of their starting 22...

How do you think we would go without King, Gardiner, Hudghton, Maguire, S.Fisher, Montagna, Dal Santo, Ball, Milne and R.Clarke?

Hawthorn and Geelong are still the clear leaders IMO...

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
Baldock Rules
Club Player

The sort answer is we still have a way to go.The great news is that we are closing the gap.Everyone fit and firing and great things are possible.Just ask the Hawks.

There are freaks and freaks and Baldock was both of those.
Griggsy
SS Life Member

I doubt we are up there just yet, our general skills need to be a lot better than what they were like the other night. Also Roo needs to be 100% firing imo.

Then yes.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Re: I honesly don't know what to think????

Dal_Santos_Gal wrote:

I am really interested to hear some peoples opinions on this.
Well GT has predicted that we finish 8th.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

whilst its all well and good for opposition supporters to acknowledge that we might have caught geelong or hawthorn who really cares

fact is that teams do come good over a summer after looking off the pace in a seasons past...so many examples of

things click, luck etc

i think we should comment on if we as a supporter base believe that we have closed to gap on both clubs after we play them...and beat them

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
The Saintsational Man
Club Player

Have to play them first.....simple.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

made progress for sure on the back that we are winnign and its not the Nick Riewoldt show so others are sharing the load - thats progress.

Enough to have bridged the gap?

No. Much more to do than weeks 1 and 2.

Lets just beat the Eagles first.

“Yeah….nah””
HarveysDeciple

Teflon wrote:made progress for sure on the back that we are winnign and its not the Nick Riewoldt show so others are sharing the load - thats progress.

Enough to have bridged the gap?

No. Much more to do than weeks 1 and 2.

Lets just beat the Eagles first.
correct. Early season good signs will be for nothing if we don't convert games when we are favourites, such as this week.

Those sides mentioned above wouldn't lose those games.

markp
Saintsational Legend

Rather than thinking too far ahead just enjoy it, and try to miss as little as possible... we could be in for a very special year.

Bring on the weagles.... :twisted:

fingers
Saintsational Legend

Let's all just take a big deep breath. Enjoy the 2 wins, it's been a good start. But let's not turn into delusional carlton supporters. It's a long season and there are some very good team out there, that we haven't faced.

I hate to say it but - one week at a time ;)