Mark this win down as a turning point...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Hopefully also get a few dissenters deciding to get a membership after all..and we'll get some nice media buzz out of it too. Saints winning at AAMI is always news lol

Should also get an extra 5000 thru the gates next Sat arvo...Easter or otherwise

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

To use a HG ism, get it out of the trouser and give it a damn good working over, 'cos this side is better than most give it credit for.

We're alright, and it's coming together.

And, The Boss can coach.;l

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
Solar
Saintsational Legend

hey guys, do you think that there would be more plaudets if dal was renamed ablett? was VERY ablett like... fantastic work in close tonight

dal thats the standard....

anyone also notice that we had over 80 tackles two weeks in a row. Keep that going and we will be VERY hard to beat.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

All and sundry close to the joint have commented on just how hard Dal has worked over summer. I've been a critic, but if 2 weeks of a season can show the virtues of hard work, this man is living proof.

Good luck to him. And having a base is a great place to be for the rest of a season.

He used to stand and watch the next phase of play (unlike Banger who went to the next phase, as if programmed). But, his first 2 of this year have been very different. And, the in close stuff has been terrific.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

saintsRrising wrote:The good thing is tonight that we won well...despite never really clicking.

Reason being is that the saints work very hard all night...and work with purpose and stuck to their game plan very well.

This is the sign good team emerging...winning well even when your executon is off a bit.
Never really clicking?

For huge portions of the game Adelaide couldn't move without getting tackled by someone, for the most part our guys got to contests, and we engineered run on the rebound.

Adelaide are a defensive team and will force shoddy disposal at times. It's round 2 and we can expect skills (for opposition as well as us) to get better, but the main thing I've taken away as opposed to the same time last year is that the group really has clicked.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
matrix
Saintsational Legend

our pressure was fantastic....
remember when the filth beat geelong not that long ago with sheer tackling man on man pressure??

im farking rapt with this win....
im excited that kozi has finally started to get some form...
im happy that i actually see mini a fair bit now (as in notice him do good things)
i wouldnt change the side next week
go in unchanged and show the faith in this side to have a red hot crack

8-)

HarveysDeciple

Teflon wrote:So can the guy coach?

You see...I think he can.....ofcourse the many "experts" just reckon we are sydney.....well guess again dimwits.

This side IS well drilled - I had us GAWN at 3qtr time and thought we were out on our feet ...and instead they went up a cog.

Make no mistake - the fwd line NOW looks like scoring (and Riewoldts not going yet...just wait) AND the defensive pressure is A1. Interesting to hear Matthews tonight - get the defensive side right and the attacking stuff often follows.........IMHO Lyon is a believer of this.

Its rd 2 but to win anytime away is hard - and the Crows did that against a so called top side over here last week...so they can play.

I will say we got some nice umpiring decisions.....BUT in saying that - we were in front.
Yeah but the thing is if you are first to the footy, and then hammer them with 88 tackles when they have the pill your going to get a good run.
It's no coincidence it was in our favour.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

I think a factor in the umpiring count is the umps reluctance this year to reward with a free the bloke who falls on the ball the second he is tacked. I reckon this time lasts year many of our tackles wold have been paid a push.

About time too ;-)

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
sainterjo
Club Player

Bloody wonderful stuff -

happy birthday St Kilda FC!

PS "After St.Kilda FC was formed at a meeting on April 4, 1873, the club played on the Alpaca Paddock. This was a patch of turf which, in the 1860's, had been used for an ill-fated attempt to breed the South American animals."

Docklands: The Alpaca paddock

They will not grow old, as those from more northern States grow old.
For them it will always be three-quarter-time, with the scores level
and the wind advantage in the final term.
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

How good are the Saints gonna be when Roo, Lenny, Bakes, and Gram get a few more games under their belt and start running into a bit of form?

saint patrick
Saintsational Legend

Re: Mark this win down as a turning point...

BigMart wrote:the significance is huge.......an UNBELIEVABLE effort by the 22....and the coaching staff.....

Mark my words - this is HUUUUUUUUGGGGGEEEEEE.....

Few negatives.....many positives...
I couldn't agree more Mart...there was so much structure and character in this performance it really gives you confidence[at last!!!] that Ross and the club are heading in the right direction.

Thought the movement of the ball and the offensive pressure was the best I have seen form this team since 06...

In past years when we were challenged late in the game you could back it in that we would find a way to conspire to lose...

This team obviously has a new self belief and confidence in its ability which is very encouraging...

Baker[bloody hell happily married but I love the guy...throwing up after a big hit but as Buckley observed"he won't be putting up his hand to come off!" :twisted: ],Dal with the defensive game to add to his silky offense and Kosi finially realising how bloody awesome he is are the standout improvements for me.

With Max,Maguire,Armo,Stevens,Lynch,Heyne, X and Raph waiting in the wings suddenly our future looks a hell of lot rosier...

And Ross Lyon can coach in case anyone here is yet to be convinced...thought his tactics and performance last night was brilliant..

Leads Neil Craig 3 -0 now!!

The look of pure frustration on Craigs face and the crows supports was pure gold and I enjoyed as much the second time on fox into the wee hours... :P

This great start is a real chance to take the next step...not on the more recent basis of blind hope but on a new found self belief and professinalism that came through in the background vision of the clubs post swans debrief and preparation for the crows...

I am genuinely believing something special is building here...

As long as they don't get ahead of themselves and the old injury curse is kept at bay...

THE SAINTS ARE BLOODY COMING...BELIEVE OR BURN :twisted:

Never take a backward step even to gain momentum.....

'It's OK to have the capabilities and abilities, but you've got to get it done." Terry Daniher 05

"We have beauty in our captain and we have a true leader in our coach. Our time will come"
Thinline.Post 09 Grand final.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

BAM! (shhhh) wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:The good thing is tonight that we won well...despite never really clicking.

Reason being is that the saints work very hard all night...and work with purpose and stuck to their game plan very well.

This is the sign good team emerging...winning well even when your executon is off a bit.
Never really clicking?

For huge portions of the game Adelaide couldn't move without getting tackled by someone, for the most part our guys got to contests, and we engineered run on the rebound.

Adelaide are a defensive team and will force shoddy disposal at times. It's round 2 and we can expect skills (for opposition as well as us) to get better, but the main thing I've taken away as opposed to the same time last year is that the group really has clicked.
I was meaning skill-wise.

As stated by me our work-rate and game plan execution were excellent. which just goes to show that work-rate and gam plan are more importnant than skills.

Take Gram as a case in point....he did virtually everything one could ask...except that his kicking was genuinely poor most of the time.

For mine for example we dominated the first quarter..but should have been several goals further up.

However when we play the Cats and The Hawks...if they are on-song we will need better skills to match our work-rate if we are to triumph.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Zed
SS Hall of Fame

defintely a good win - and a very positive sign for the rest of the season. But seriously, I didnt have either the Swans or the Crows in my top 8 this year. Hawks & Cats are the benchmark.

2004 & 2005 we were great but cruelled by injury at the wrong end of the year. Fingers crossed that this year our destiny is not changed by losing key players in the last half of the season.

Enjoy this win though - we deserve it !

“If you want the rainbow you gotta put up with rain” Dolly Parton
saintly
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:So can the guy coach?

You see...I think he can.....ofcourse the many "experts" just reckon we are sydney.....well guess again dimwits.

This side IS well drilled - I had us GAWN at 3qtr time and thought we were out on our feet ...and instead they went up a cog.

Make no mistake - the fwd line NOW looks like scoring (and Riewoldts not going yet...just wait) AND the defensive pressure is A1. Interesting to hear Matthews tonight - get the defensive side right and the attacking stuff often follows.........IMHO Lyon is a believer of this.

Its rd 2 but to win anytime away is hard - and the Crows did that against a so called top side over here last week...so they can play.

I will say we got some nice umpiring decisions.....BUT in saying that - we were in front.
it has been suggested that having leigh tudor help out the foward line has made a difference. i think it was ross that said that last night or one of the players.

yipper
SS Life Member

Without doubt the most significant win I have seen from St Kilda for many years. The pressure at the ball carrier was just at a sublime level. This St Kilda team is as well drilled as any I can remember seeing. They all of a sudden look very hungry, tough at the contest and are dangerous with our structure. Lyon can coach - there is now absolutely no doubt. He has the players!! They are all moving in the same direction, on the same wavelength. He is now coaching us towards a flag. The structure is right, he has Dal Santo playing at his best, ditto Kosi and our rucks are strong and physical. No.1 defensive team in the comp at present, 2 wins from 2 and with the very real, and achievable prospect of being 4 wins from 4 coming up. (one week at a time mind you!!) 2009 is shaping up as the most fascinating season of footy I can remember. Go Saints.

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.